test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Captain on the Bridge

Comments

• captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Ironically... Those 3 things are things I could'n care less about, if got changed.

having only one race to rule them all (romulans ) is very important.Having pvp (which is true end game content ) is very important.Also I signed the TOS for Star Trek Online not Legacy of Romulus.
  • ducklesworthducklesworth Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Now you're just playing musical chairs. Here's to hoping the game doesn't suck as bad as it did the last time he ran the show.
  • jakemoffskyjakemoffsky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This games biggest strength is that it offers both space simulation/arcade combat, as well as the mmo style third person play. This game could use an added third element of strategy beyond doff assignments with the incorporation of rts or tbs play to broaden market appeal and keep it alive for longer.
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This games biggest strength is that it offers both space simulation/arcade combat, as well as the mmo style third person play. This game could use an added third element of strategy beyond doff assignments with the incorporation of rts or tbs play to broaden market appeal and keep it alive for longer.

Sector conquest ala Starfleet command. But that would mean hostility, and we can't have that. :P

---
  • smallrougesmallrouge Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    having only one race to rule them all (romulans ) is very important.Having pvp (which is true end game content ) is very important.Also I signed the TOS for Star Trek Online not Legacy of Romulus.

I believe Anazonda's point was that those are things that are important to YOU. Other people (such as myself or Anazonda, apparently) might choose three completely different aspects of the game they would be interested in seeing changed. Your statement that "no one cares" about the changing of the guard unless your three specific concerns are addressed is inaccurate. Some people want the Scimitar because they have a Reman character to put in it. I am sure others want it for role playing purposes. Or because it looked nice in the movie. I suspect you want it removed because of PvP concerns. That doesn't come in ahead of all the other reasons people had for buying the ship.

While I am completely unconcerned about what my screen shows while it is loading the game, I am hoping that major changes to the game are not introduced in stealth mode anymore and that loss of inventory in the mail system doesn't occur again under this new regime.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    castsbugc wrote: »
    Thats not entirely true, for example, if you look at what launched in game, and then look at say, Bajor, or DS9 after the revamp, you will notice a marked difference in the look of the entire environment. That said, yes you will eventually reach a hard limit where you cannot improve the visual quality because the current infrastructure wont allow for it. Without an environment or ship artist to comment, I will state I dont know that we have reached that yet.

I think really any changes to graphics have to be modest because of system requirements. An MMO with cutting edge graphics is probably bad at being an MMO. WoW has slowly upgraded graphics with things like water effects, anti-aliasing, and the upcoming replacement of character models.

Where there's more room to grow is in a solid sense of art DIRECTION rather than raw technical improvements. That has improved somewhat with STO. I think TacoFangs' maps go a long way towards being IP appropriate. Getting away from solid blue LCARs has made the game feel more vibrant.

Style doesn't date in the same way that technical advancement dates.

Take Mario games. The technical aspect dated fast but people still love games like Mario World or Mario Cart 64 or even the 8 bit games because they have style that overcomes technical proficiency.

I'd rather see texture clean-ups in the vein of the LCARS overhaul than see sophisticated new lighting systems and higher polycounts on everything. Clean-ups benefit everyone regardless of system specs whereas a new graphics engine isn't going to do jack for people playing on a 5 year old laptop except maybe make them stop playing.

I'd like to see all the gunmetal grey walls and floors in Federation facilities updated in cream/brown/white walls with more elegant paneling and carpeted floors than see fancy new lighting effects. I'd rather see character slider control improved and facial diversity worked on than see higher poly count character models.

There is a lot that can be done stylistically with new types of skyfiles, mattes, sham sets, and polish before I think we'd ever need more poly rich environments.
  • edna7edna7 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    smallrouge wrote: »
    I believe Anazonda's point was that those are things that are important to YOU. Other people (such as myself or Anazonda, apparently) might choose three completely different aspects of the game they would be interested in seeing changed. Your statement that "no one cares" about the changing of the guard unless your three specific concerns are addressed is inaccurate. Some people want the Scimitar because they have a Reman character to put in it. I am sure others want it for role playing purposes. Or because it looked nice in the movie. I suspect you want it removed because of PvP concerns. That doesn't come in ahead of all the other reasons people had for buying the ship.

While I am completely unconcerned about what my screen shows while it is loading the game, I am hoping that major changes to the game are not introduced in stealth mode anymore and that loss of inventory in the mail system doesn't occur again under this new regime.

it was not 3 aspects ...It was more or less the same espect ,end game content which in all games is pvp or trading (in star trek trading should be on the same level with pvp as end game content)
  • stephendangelostephendangelo Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Greetings All!

Many thanks to the many posters wishing me welcome to the job. As noted in the blog, I'm a huge Star Trek geek, and I absolutely love working with the team. It's a fabulous place to be!

Let me see if I can answer a few of the big questions posed on this thread...

First, Star Trek Online is no on its way into "maintenance mode". In fact, the team is larger than ever and STO is healthier than ever before. Cryptic is dedicated to not only supporting the game but growing it.

Second, this position isn't a temporary one for me. I'm not sure how long my tenure will be, but I expect to be here for at least three or four updates.

Third, there are lots of requests for more communication. I'll do me best to communicate regularly both directly and through the team. I can say that I'm not a forum person, and that I will probably communicate more via Dev Blogs than in the forums, but I'll post every now and then.

Fourth, there are lots of requests for what's coming next. I'm going to purposefully avoid talking too much about futures. Why? Because so much changes in the dev team on a regular basis that anything posted that discusses something more than two months out is subject to change. I will share as much as I can along the way, but you may get more hints than concrete information the further something is into the future.

Fifth, there are questions about strategy. My overall strategy comes in several parts:

1) Continue to fix things in the existing game. I believe in working to fix old bugs, clean up existing content, and otherwise look for ways to make existing play better. The revamped episodes coming in Season 8.5, along with the new starship switching features are examples of this kind of investment.

2) Continue to develop the story and new content. Most of the dev resources go into this effort. We know that you all show up for your fix of new Star Trek content, and that is the center of everything we do.

3) To work to stretch the game in new ways. I'll be working with the team to do new things and to change up the game to keep it fresh. A static and unchanging game gets stale. Change is part of growth, and I want to see STO grow. Change is scary for some people, however, and I'll work to keep you informed about scary changes well before they get live. I highly value the input of the community and want to make sure that we do what is best for the game as a whole.

At the moment, we're 100% focused on delivering an excellent 8.5 update and 4th anniversary celebration two weeks from today, and I'm off to work.

Stephen D'Angelo
    Executive Producer
    Star Trek Online
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the reply :)

It's nice to see communication from the EP even if it's occasional and simple, you're in the (possibly) unfortunate position that Dan set a precedent for this in the early days that he didn't live up to second time around, but hey. To each their own.

I look forward as ever to seeing what comes next.
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    be welcome :). and plz(!!!) get ur hands on pvp, crafting and exploration :cool:
  • smallrougesmallrouge Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    edna7 wrote: »
    it was not 3 aspects ...It was more or less the same espect ,end game content which in all games is pvp or trading (in star trek trading should be on the same level with pvp as end game content)

Ok, whatever, one aspect it was then. However, you might need to explain to me exactly how the load screen text relates to PvP.

End game for you might mean PvP, but since a significant portion of players are not at all interested in PvP, end game must mean something different to them. PvP is NOT the only end game content in all games. In other games PvE like raids and dungeons, RP, or just riding around on a pretty pony collecting in-game pets or accolades can all be the end game. As I said before, what you want does not equal what everyone wants or what should happen.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Welcome, Mr. D'Angelo!

I commented on another thread about this but while I admire the effort to clean up old missions (and applaud courting new players), I think you'd get an even bigger return on this if mission replay (even just spotlighting recently updated content) was more developed. I've also been a fan of reps tied to mission arc replay or an approach that I refer to as a story crafting system. I've outlined it a few times on the forums but the core idea is a system that handles subplots through loot drops and mission replay, helping to enrich the game universe by having plot twists that award buffs and gear accessed through item combos.

I think I've referred to it as Star Trek Clue.

Anyway, welcome, again. Good to see you dropping by here.
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Greetings All!

Many thanks to the many posters wishing me welcome to the job. As noted in the blog, I'm a huge Star Trek geek, and I absolutely love working with the team. It's a fabulous place to be!

First, Star Trek Online is no on its way into "maintenance mode". In fact, the team is larger than ever and STO is healthier than ever before. Cryptic is dedicated to not only supporting the game but growing it.

Second, this position isn't a temporary one for me. I'm not sure how long my tenure will be, but I expect to be here for at least three or four updates.

Third, there are lots of requests for more communication. I'll do me best to communicate regularly both directly and through the team. I can say that I'm not a forum person, and that I will probably communicate more via Dev Blogs than in the forums, but I'll post every now and then.

Fourth, there are lots of requests for what's coming next. I'm going to purposefully avoid talking too much about futures. Why? Because so much changes in the dev team on a regular basis that anything posted that discusses something more than two months out is subject to change. I will share as much as I can along the way, but you may get more hints than concrete information the further something is into the future.

Fifth, there are questions about strategy. My overall strategy comes in several parts:

1) Continue to fix things in the existing game. I believe in working to fix old bugs, clean up existing content, and otherwise look for ways to make existing play better. The revamped episodes coming in Season 8.5, along with the new starship switching features are examples of this kind of investment.

2) Continue to develop the story and new content. Most of the dev resources go into this effort. We know that you all show up for your fix of new Star Trek content, and that is the center of everything we do.

3) To work to stretch the game in new ways. I'll be working with the team to do new things and to change up the game to keep it fresh. A static and unchanging game gets stale. Change is part of growth, and I want to see STO grow. Change is scary for some people, however, and I'll work to keep you informed about scary changes well before they get live. I highly value the input of the community and want to make sure that we do what is best for the game as a whole.

At the moment, we're 100% focused on delivering an excellent 8.5 update and 4th anniversary celebration two weeks from today, and I'm off to work.

Stephen D'Angelo
    Executive Producer
    Star Trek Online

Great post Stephen.

I love the idea you want to start fixing the old bugs of the game, as this something that's beneficial for the game. People "Id think" want to get all those old bugs fixed and have a more pleasuring game experience. I also and hopefully love the idea you want to stretch STO in new ways. Get away from "boring" content and find new ways to stimulate the players. This is something I think the game needs drastically. I think for the most part players come on here and there to keep with the game, but I think its a better investment to keep your players "hooked" into the game daily. So hopefully you can find something for those wanting to be more committed to the game then just a weekly log in or month for that matter.

Key factors id suggest and which you have mentioned is to not say things ahead of time, which usually leads to.. "Hey you said you were doing this, now its not happening" type comments. Id suggest unless its 100% going to happen then don't say nothing haha. Be honest with the players. For me, I've been here since it all started, beta to head start then have continued to play now for coming up to 4 years. I respect someone that's honest rather someone that's full of hot air. So far I'm really liking the way your handling things. So cutos for that.

Overall, wish you the best of luck as our new EP, and I look forward to a more enjoyable experience compared to how the game has been handled thus far.

Cheers
    Loc
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

1) Continue to fix things in the existing game. I believe in working to fix old bugs, clean up existing content, and otherwise look for ways to make existing play better.

Please think of the Foundry as part of the "existing game."

If you guys don't seriously devote some time to fixing the Foundry, the borked missions, and the UI, you won't have much of Foundry community left. Lots of folks have pretty much given up.

It's not worth my free time to make content for your game, when you guys don't maintain the toolset or give players a reliable way to find our missions. If you don't care, then neither do I.

In case you don't know, this is the state of the Foundry.

Here is a solution to our issues with the UI.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Best strategy list I've seen a dev post in awhile. Keep it up! :D
    signwidrona.png
  • drliriodrlirio Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Another change at the head of the game... how many have we had? I believe it's something like Zinc, Dstahl, D'angelo, Dstahl, D'angelo,... average is less than a year for each Executive Producer. Not very reassuring, no surprise the game is a mess of not fully completed ideas...

Correct me if i'm wrong but, if i'm not mistaken, D'Angelo was the man at the helm of the game when STO turned F2P and then... LOCKBOXES, rep systems and general grind started being intriduced as "great new content" instead of real playable fun content. I'm afraid this change means we're not going to see new content other tan lockboxes, "adventure grinding zones" and zen store items for the next months. Sad.

I really hope i'm wrong. :(
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    idrona wrote: »
    Best strategy list I've seen a dev post in awhile. Keep it up! :D

I know, right? This guy's gonna be awesome. Man, this is going to be the best year for me since that year when Iron Man and Dark Knight both came out. Now THAT was a good year.
  • kyuui13kyuui13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm going to hold judgement for a few months, out of kindness. Given my experience with the last time, I'm not investing anything money wise into the game at all, my trust of the leadership of STO, is non existent.
    Don't tell me what you're "going to do"
    Tel me what you've "done."
    Next time you log in, ask yourself this.
    dastahl wrote: »
    If you can't have fun, then what is the point?
  • commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Greetings All!

Mr. D'Angelo, welcome back to the helm. From your last tenure one form of communication I thought was the perfect balance between the old engineering reports and the scatter shot we get now was you "Short-term Roadmap" blogs. I feel they did give enough information as to what was actually going to land. I understand you want to have surprises but I am sure you could fill it with plenty of other things such as new costumes, re-mastered episodes, bug bashes, etc...

Also, as you take the helm I would like you to think about dev-player interaction. This especially for new systems that we will be using. It is one thing to make them the way you guys envision and another for us as players to use them. Many of the issues regarding the current grindiness in game could have been averted if there was community interaction at the ground level. Just take a look at the DOFF system and how that was handled. It is a rich system that was welcomed by the players because they felt they had investment in it through the development process. Sadly, the system has remained stagnant and DOFFs have merely become buff items and the system as a whole has suffered many nerfs leaving it a bit of a mess.

Regardless, if you guys are to upgrade more basic systems in game such as crafting, exploration, and PvP, please start with some community action. Realize that what you guys may think is fun to play may not be something we want to play everyday for the life of the game. Please go functionality-->Trekness--->Cool factor when developing. We can live with something that is highly functional but not as much Trek, what we can't live with is something that is not as functional, barely Trek, but cool.
  • origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ill give credit where credit do. at least steaphen d'angelo came and commented on several asspects of what we are conserned about.
    maybe this tenture will be much better and prove to be outstanding and put d. stahl to shame. only time will tell.

good luck d angelo
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It is good to know more than before. :)

---
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Will the new guy delete the stupid loading screen about romulans?
    Will the new guy delete scimitars ?
    Will the new guy give a single shet about pvp?

if no ...no one cares.

I like the LoR loading screen.

What's wrong with Scimitars, anyway? Are you seriously asking for (and do you seriously expect) the Romulan Dreadnought 3-Pack which I bought to be taken away from me?

Most players don't seem to be terribly interested in PvP.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah get to work before I delete your sub routines.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,430 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    that's because they suck at one on one combat. Or don't work on their characters enough. Or both. Their snobbish lack of interest stems from their impotence with their characters.
    Or from their lack of interest in being forced to interact with elitist jerks.

But that argument has already been hashed out elsewhere - let's just leave it at the fact that there's nothing the Executive Producer can do to make PvP any more popular than it is.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • hitonozanshihitonozanshi Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    *Retracted. Hit the wrong quote button*
    The Jar kitty is watching you. :D
  • hitonozanshihitonozanshi Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Greetings All!

Stephen D'Angelo
    Executive Producer
    Star Trek Online

I read your dev blog, and I must say, those ships intrigue me. :P
    The Jar kitty is watching you. :D
  • onlyslightlybentonlyslightlybent Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Please think of the Foundry as part of the "existing game."

If you guys don't seriously devote some time to fixing the Foundry, the borked missions, and the UI, you won't have much of Foundry community left. Lots of folks have pretty much given up.

It's not worth my free time to make content for your game, when you guys don't maintain the toolset or give players a reliable way to find our missions. If you don't care, then neither do I.

In case you don't know, this is the state of the Foundry.

Here is a solution to our issues with the UI.

I'd also like to echo Kirks comment.

The foundry is an important aspect of STO. Freely created new content that gives longevity to the game, why they're not fully behind this is a mystery to me. Without the dev's support it's just meaningless to even create the missions.
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ...ok, he's answered a lot of questions, and gave some good answers. But theres still one last thing i wanna know about Mr D'angelo....does he play a Caitian? =^.^=
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Greetings All!

Stephen D'Angelo
    Executive Producer
    Star Trek Online

Well this goes a great deal towards relieving some if not most of my fears. I'm glad STO isn't going into maintenance mode. With all you guys have on your plate, and with what's happened in the past, it's easy to worry that you guys have bitten off more than you can chew.

I'm really glad you like to squash bugs. But I wish there were a way to catch SOME of them first.

I don't envy you, you have a lot of house keeping to do and some of the problems with this game are starting to bust out at the seams.

Per example, the "Material files reloaded" anomaly and NOW, the problems some of us are having with serious missing graphic issues.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=913941

I'm really happy that you are a Trekkie, because we're still missing a lot of the feel of
    classic Trek.

What am I referring to?

The Grind, over story. We've had the grind factor increased, while the whole story seems to have floundered somewhat in my opinion.
    Per example, what's going on with THE WAR ! Are things warming up, are we in a cold
    war ?
    One minute we're working together, the next minute who knows.
    And by the way, where's the damned Klingon/Federation neutral zone? Talk about a great opportunity to add something new to PVP (a neutral zone screams open pvp) and it's also classic Trek.

I know you guys are working on tightening these things up, but please for Heaven's sake, remember to keep us entertained, not just busy. There has to be a better balance than what we have now.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Greetings All!

Snippity snip.

Stephen D'Angelo
    Executive Producer
    Star Trek Online

Welcome to the forums. I like your goal set. Good luck!