Install Arc
Options

Arcgames.com is Ready for your Feedback

Comments

• Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hravik wrote: »
    Its amazing how very nearly universal the dislike is for Arc, yet they keep pushing forward.

Arc is the one thing that will guarantee my exit from STO forever. Oh well, at least I have until it is made mandatory.

I seriously doubt the extreme dislike for ARC as shown here is universal. In fact I'd wager that the majority of people are entirely indifferent, but when you're indifferent you don't go out of your way to say so.

I'm highly amused by the hyperbole and exaggeration of people here though. It reminds me of a Steam group for veto'ing some sequel or another. They all said they wouldn't buy or play it, but on release day, over half said group were playing the new game...

Now personally, ARC is of no use to me - I'm not in a fleet, don't have anyone on my friends list and don't play any other PWE games, ultimately for me its just going to be a new launcher with features I won't use. Pointless, but nothing worth getting worked up about. (Yes, yes - I said indifferent people won't bother going out of their way to post here, but I guess I'm an exception to that rule).
  • Options
    dunmovyndunmovyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yes we will, unfortunately. It has been stated in the ARC news articles that eventually ALL PWE games will be required to use ARC to launch the games. And they have also stated that ARC will be required to run in the background while you are playing the game, although they have refused thus far to answer why.

JUST SAY NO TO MANDATORY ARC!!!!!

An addendum to my previous comment. I went ahead and cancelled my account. So no more cash from me. When the launcher stops working , I'm done.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gonalius wrote: »
    I seriously doubt the extreme dislike for ARC as shown here is universal. In fact I'd wager that the majority of people are entirely indifferent, but when you're indifferent you don't go out of your way to say so.

I'm highly amused by the hyperbole and exaggeration of people here though. It reminds me of a Steam group for veto'ing some sequel or another. They all said they wouldn't buy or play it, but on release day, over half said group were playing the new game...

Now personally, ARC is of no use to me - I'm not in a fleet, don't have anyone on my friends list and don't play any other PWE games, ultimately for me its just going to be a new launcher with features I won't use. Pointless, but nothing worth getting worked up about. (Yes, yes - I said indifferent people won't bother going out of their way to post here, but I guess I'm an exception to that rule).

That's my thought as well. I just don't care and it's amazing to see how many people are sword-rattling about quitting and saying everyone else feels the same and... It's not true.
  • Options
    irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's a shame that Cryptic/Perfect World insist on going ahead with the Arc project as from what I've seen from the multiple Cryptic/Perfect World game forums it seem whenever it is mentioned 90% of the playerbase respond to it like a Vampire would sunlight, it's not something I particularly want as I only play STO and I'll admit I do not have a great computer, when I have the funds I will get a new one but until then I'm stuck with this junker, so anything I can do to avoid having other programs open in the background is a must, this would include Arc as I fear it's not as light on resources as it's made out to be, again that's judging off the reports from people who have tried it.
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    And mobile website doesn't work with iPhone 4S. I cannot stay logged in and the images are not scaled correctly. They are skinny
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    You know guys(and here I mean Cryptic devs., PWE employees or anyone else that worked/is working on Arc), you'd probably cut on around 50% of the complaints regading Arc if you just enabled one simple thing - make Arc work in a way so the client can be closed once we launch STO. It would stop 2 of the most common complaints here:

- Unnecessary taking up resources and influencing gameplay on machines with limited resoruces.
    - Possible background suspicious activities.

If all that you say here in these numerous threads on Arc lately is true, than it's beyond me why you wouldn't make this option possible. Unless there's something that you're hiding....and well, that's where all of the conspiracy theories regarding Arc come from.

The main issue with arc is that i dont need to open it in first place, thats the MAIN complain. That is what all we want, not the need to open a stupid program to launch the game. I dunno if can say this more clear... lol.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That's my thought as well. I just don't care and it's amazing to see how many people are sword-rattling about quitting and saying everyone else feels the same and... It's not true.

Thats one of the other problems. U dont care, but u are actullay founding cryptic and pwe just using the stupid ARC program that is not necessary. I only used arc once time ago for champions online (i think) but i never used it again. I had enough with steam, consuming about 20% of my resources everytime i run a game. Im not saying with ARC is the same issue, but these programs ALWAYS carry some bad things, not to mention IT IS NOT NECESSARY, its only a way for cryptic to promote PWE and gain extra cash. Its always the same story.

Its llike saying, i dont have any problem with microsoft.. but their products sucks.. xD.

mattjohnsonva, people likes STO because it is a STAR TREK game, not because it is a space fight-ground game. If the only thing u want is a game with space fights and ground fights, seriously what the hell u doing playing this bugged game?? that makes no sense. That is precisely the only reason that keeps me from just throwing this game to the toilet, because i love star trek and there is not others games about out there.
  • Options
    oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    PWE has repeatedly said that Arc does NOT have P2P functionality or spyware installed in it. Unless somebody has proof to back up their claim, they should stop contradicting the Devs on this point.

So by your logic if PWE "repeatedly said" the moon was made of blue cheese and rain was actually aliens peeing on us from orbit then we should take it as the gospel and bow to PWE, because they "repeatedly said" it so it MUST be true?

No offense to the community moderators, but has anyone else noticed they seem to be in a competition for who can be the biggest ARC brown-noser? Just wondering.
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    So by your logic if PWE "repeatedly said" the moon was made of blue cheese and rain was actually aliens peeing on us from orbit then we should take it as the gospel and bow to PWE, because they "repeatedly said" it so it MUST be true?

Strangely enough though, they aren't saying that are they?
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What is our incentive to use Arc over Steam for playing Star Trek Online? What do we, the playerbase, get out of this arrangement?

We get the knowledge that we're being good obedient little lackeys to our Chinese overlords. :D
  • Options
    captainjgeecaptainjgee Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I just hate ARC, it looks cheap and dated. The ads for the other PWE titles,ie not Cryptics, look as if aimed at young girls.

ARC is terribly slow to lanuch first time, and that does not including the time taken to log in to your account. The game launcher for STO is dreadful. It's a small button in the top left hand corner, 80% of ARC is displaying the STO web page, which I have no interest in. Give us the option to make the button bigger, and get rid of the STO web page. There is no customization. Funny there is ?Run ARC when my computer starts? but not option to ?Exit ARC when you log out of game.? Also no way to close ARC if the game is running. It doesn't show server status. Would have been nice to be able to launch STO from the ARC icon on the taskbar, all you can do is ?Open Client?,?Settings? and ?Exit?

ARC is a basic web browser to advertise PWE other rubbish games.

If we are forced to use ARC I have to consider if I still want to play STO. :(
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gonalius, oldschooldork, can you two keep the sniping to a minimum, please? It makes both of your arguments look bad when both sides are taking cheap shots at each other.
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I will do everything within my means to keep Arc from running on my machine, and when that is no longer possible, I will cancel STO account. There is my feedback.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This new web page for STO / Arc Games.... lacks focus.

It is way too busy, too much stuff and information it contains is all over the place.
    Too many moving parts, photos and menus taking up space. What the hell are all those photos FOR? It is all mixed up, anyways....and no clarification or explanations.

If it needs to be a shopping area, make it a store front.

If you want it to be info for NEW players, make it a how to page.

If you want it to be useful for current players....fill it with info your players can use.

I expected the main page to be a place where I can get to info I am going for quickly...
    It would be nice to hit this page and just see the new things, up to date things. I am looking for things like: Latest blog posts, latest patch notes, newest things in the store. A list of bugs noted would be nice. Maybe even the state of your servers?

I don't know what to tell you...I don't see how it is useful for me. I get links to news and blogs via the FB Feed (FB is very nicely done, btw)...and browsing the Forums every few days. At least, this works for me.

This Arc/STO webpage is confusing.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    so start steam to start arc shet to start sto launcher to start sto lol
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    NO I do not want Arc!

C'mon Cryptic/PWE, you've seen how much we hate it. You're better than this.
  • Options
    vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Key points I take away from this thread/Arc;

Overwhelming majority strongly don't want Arc.
    The few that don't are indifferent or the odd one or two are 'okay' at best'.

I do not need Arc to play STO. I need either the STO client or Steam which I use for many other games and I use the STO website for information.

I do not want to play other PWI games heck I don't even want to play other Cryptic games. I do not want to be force fed advertising or be spied upon.

PWI ask for our feedback yet neglect to state they'll only act on feedback that suits them. If it is not in their interests or isn't worth their time or effort then feedback gets ignored. PWI then acts on this 'community feedback' and gives us what the 'community wants(?)'.

If the community doesn't want Arc then it doesn't matter if I'm a devout follower, the community will suffer and that's not good for the game which isn't good for me. Eventually it comes back to Arc being bad for the game.

Question:
    Just how far is PWI prepared to push Arc? Would they cut STO loose and lose that as an asset in order to keep Arc? Goodness knows what other other communities think but as we're all gamers is one community really going to be that different to all the others?

I read bits about being able to close Arc once STO is loaded but didn't they say at some point they will make it such you 'have to' have Arc running throughout your time on STO?

Still no clue as to when it will become mandatory. I can't remember if they ever said Steam users will have to go through Arc but it was made clear Steam would not like this so PWI has a problem right? How to add mandatory Arc to a provider that doesn't allow it.

Until I'm forced to download Arc I'll continue to play STO but be mindful not to waste any money on a game I could well be abandoning in the near future. When it does become mandatory I'll consider leaving. Not the sort or see the point in making threats and I quit posts as it's clear PWI/Cryptic doesn't care so as Chris from STOKed once said, I'll vote with my wallet and I hope PWI gets what it's deserves since they have been warned :).
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I still don't understand why I need a platform to start my launcher when the launcher is just fine on my taskbar.

It's totally unnecessary to the game and another burden on my computer.

Honestly, I'm only able to get onto the game if I use Safe Mode on the launcher, so what do I need another platform for?
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014

No offense to the community moderators, but has anyone else noticed they seem to be in a competition for who can be the biggest ARC brown-noser? Just wondering.

That's not what he said, he said (in better words) if you are going to accuse PWE of telling lies then bring proof to backup your claims.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have to agree with the vast majority here, I hate this ARC idea. Plenty of good reasons against this above. No benefit for me.

Please add my name to the Do Not Want Arc list.
    Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
    THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    echatty wrote: »
    I still don't understand why I need a platform to start my launcher when the launcher is just fine on my taskbar.

Honestly, I'm only able to get onto the game if I use Safe Mode on the launcher, so what do I need another platform for?

The Arc is still in development, eventually the individual launchers will be discontinued and games will update/launch directly from Arc.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Nope, things in the 90's were FUNCTIONAL.

You know what it looks like?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9900/

A Steam page ...

Oh I know, I mentioned the similarities in an earlier post.

You should see the new Arc, it is an almost 100% copy of the steam client. Even down to the font they used lol :rolleyes:
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    edited January 2014

From what I understand, when ARC is finalised, it will replace the launcher entirely - You'll run the game straight from ARC. Its only whilst its in beta that ARC runs the launcher as well.
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

You don't need it. Perfect World wants it, so they can inundate you with ads about TRIBBLE you don't care to see and collect information about your gaming/browsing habits. Every.Single.One of it's supposed "benefits" are just wallpapering over the fact that Arc is at best a vehicle for invasive, in-your-face marketing, at worst, resource-hogging spyware with a serving of "Surprise! You're now part of our peer-to-peer file-sharing network!" on the side.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gonalius wrote: »
    From what I understand, when ARC is finalised, it will replace the launcher entirely - You'll run the game straight from ARC. Its only whilst its in beta that ARC runs the launcher as well.
    Well, if this is the case, maybe it won't be so bad. But it still won't make me want to play any of their other games. I've looked at them and none appeal except STO. Which makes having Arc unnecessary.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Well, if this is the case, maybe it won't be so bad. But it still won't make me want to play any of their other games. I've looked at them and none appeal except STO.

Agreed, if they want to put pictures of their other games in front of my face and offer me deals for them fine. I will ignore such ads accordingly and continue playing sto. If and when they shove ads directly into the game, I will have been pushed too far.
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Please have a standalone launcher for STO.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    gonalius, oldschooldork, can you two keep the sniping to a minimum, please? It makes both of your arguments look bad when both sides are taking cheap shots at each other.

And since ARC itself is nothing but Cryptic/PWE taking cheap shots at a captive audience... :cool:
This discussion has been closed.