test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Arcgames.com is Ready for your Feedback

Comments

• purvee1purvee1 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You know what...The thing that is setting off the most alarm bells in my head through out all these threads is the utter lack of responses from the devs to those who don't want arc.

That more than anything is making me more concerned. Its making you look more and more suspicious as time goes on. You're clearly reading the threads, but are not acknowledging the worries and those who simply don't want it.

I must commend you though, on finding a unique way to save server resources, by alienating most of your player-base.

For the record:
    I do not want Arc.
    I don't use social media.
    I don't have enough time for more than one MMO
    I have a crappy computer.
    I already have a browser program.
    I wasn't a great fan of steam, I still am not entirely comfortable with it. Does your program come with greater credentials than Steam? Because to make me get a Steam account it took several of my mates who are programmers to say it was all fine, and for all of them to be using Steam without issue for many years.
    Even then I was extremely wary. I've only allowed steam to open when I play a game I want.

So if the Choice is Arc Or steam, steam wins.
    If the choice is Arc or No STO, the No STO wins.
  • k4t3k4t3 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    now Steam is pretty much accepted.

Don't forget: you don't need to run Steam for many games you can get by Steam! And what you miss are all the ppl who'll never install sth like Steam (even though that's the reason they can't play the game they have been waiting for so long)!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dnaangel9dnaangel9 Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    purvee1 wrote: »
    You know what...The thing that is setting off the most alarm bells in my head through out all these threads is the utter lack of responses from the devs to those who don't want arc.

That more than anything is making me more concerned. Its making you look more and more suspicious as time goes on. You're clearly reading the threads, but are not acknowledging the worries and those who simply don't want it.

I must commend you though, on finding a unique way to save server resources, by alienating most of your player-base.

For the record:
    I do not want Arc.
    I don't use social media.
    I don't have enough time for more than one MMO
    I have a crappy computer.
    I already have a browser program.
    I wasn't a great fan of steam, I still am not entirely comfortable with it. Does your program come with greater credentials than Steam? Because to make me get a Steam account it took several of my mates who are programmers to say it was all fine, and for all of them to be using Steam without issue for many years.
    Even then I was extremely wary. I've only allowed steam to open when I play a game I want.

So if the Choice is Arc Or steam, steam wins.
    If the choice is Arc or No STO, the No STO wins.

That is because, sadly, STO is mainly a cash cow. It's sole purpose to is to milk players for as long as possible. Why else is content so rushed, yet with little to no QA done before release? It's push it live now and let the players report problems later. How the game is handled, maintained and ran suggests I am right.

I hear you about Steam. There are a good many that don't like, use or trust the software. Steam is a saving grace for us PC gamers. Between Steam and Amazon PC gaming still has a purpose. The amount of sick raw deals, sales and promos are bar none to anything else we have at our disposal and make those air headed console gamers look like tools. Wait till the 75-80% sales and then go ape crazy. I picked up a few 50$ games for 7-10 dollars over the holidays alone..

Of course there is still Torrenting. Granted you Encrypt, Tunnel and Proxy your connection for 100% security!
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have another question. When we're forced to use Arc, will it still have a Safe Mode launch? That's the only way I can play STO. Otherwise my video drivers crash, and I haven't yet found a solution to that. I've tried every solution I've been able to dig up and no dice.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    When it comes to advertising other products, I think Perfect World is missing the message. Consumers have a 'right' to be left alone. US state and federal governments have an 'opt-out' program, which prevents merchants from harassing consumers. Arch, Origin, and Steam technically violate the 'opt-out' programs.

My web browsers and emails have options that prevent unsolicited advertising. I personally do not want to be harassed by any advertiser.

What many developers do not understand is that consumers (citizens) have a 'right' to be left alone. Once developers and publishers take DRM too far, implementing advertising features, the Consumer Protections and federal government will eventually file class action lawsuits.

I wonder if players can write 'cease & desist' letters.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    When it comes to advertising other products, I think Perfect World is missing the message. Consumers have a 'right' to be left alone. US state and federal governments have an 'opt-out' program, which prevents merchants from harassing consumers. Arch, Origin, and Steam technically violate the 'opt-out' programs.

My web browsers and emails have options that prevent unsolicited advertising. I personally do not want to be harassed by any advertiser.

What many developers do not understand is that consumers (citizens) have a 'right' to be left alone. Once developers and publishers take DRM too far, implementing advertising features, the Consumer Protections and federal government will eventually file class action lawsuits.

Whoah--ARC violates opt-out? I know there was a big fuss over Origin some time ago, but I didn't know that ARC and Steam violated consumer protection laws.

Huh. This cannot possibly end well.
    edited January 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Whoah--ARC violates opt-out? I know there was a big fuss over Origin some time ago, but I didn't know that ARC and Steam violated consumer protection laws.

Huh. This cannot possibly end well.
    During the late 1990s and early 2000s, the federal and state government passed a digital advertising law. As a result of people getting hit with waves of spam, the government stepped in to bottleneck the flow of advertising. I wonder if it extends to Arch, Origin, and Steam. It would be interesting to find out.

I know I am on three 'opt-out' lists. Phone, mail, and digital.
    edited January 2014

Good post. Actually now that I think about it, Players can obtain a cease and desist order on it. Granted their claim is strong enough. I may be wrong, but I believe it is the FCC you would file through.

On another funny note: BOTH PWE and Cryptic have "F" ratings with the BBB (Better Business Bureau).
    edited January 2014
    dnaangel9 wrote: »
    Good post. Actually now that I think about it, Players can obtain a cease and desist order on it. Granted their claim is strong enough. I may be wrong, but I believe it is the FCC you would file through.
    In order to get Perfect World to stop, you will need to send three certified letters by mail. If Perfect World does not 'cease & desist', you can contact your local (or their local) attorney general.

I bet someone will eventually challenge Arch, Steam, and Origin.

It wold be interesting to find out.

DRM alone is fine.

DRM with advertising? I think its a whole different story.
    edited January 2014
    In order to get Perfect World to stop, you will need to send three certified letters by mail. If Perfect World does not 'cease & desist', you can contact your local (or their local) attorney general.

I am on-board with this proposal.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well just for curiosities sake I installed ARC, to see for myself what it's all about.
    Immediately Spybot - Search and Destroys Teatimer blocked 2 Browser Helper object installation attempts and an ArcPlugin showed up in my Firefox.
    What in the hell would Firefox have to do with game functionality?
    Needless to say, ARC is being removed, all traces purged and and a complete spyware and virus scan run.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dnaangel9 wrote: »
    On another funny note: BOTH PWE and Cryptic have "F" ratings with the BBB (Better Business Bureau).

They have for awhile. Customer service is advertisement driven only and there is no forward-reaching customer driven resolution mechanism in place. Add to that the purely one-way money flow with zero refund resolution option.

Friend of mine had his account raided. Lost everything. PWE reverted his account for him as they often do, but refused to reactivate his C-store purchases. Email indicated that this was for his own protection and he was invited to go ahead and repurchase said items.

Another friend made C-store purchases that never completed due to software glitches. The paid-for-by-cash Zen went POOF, the purchased item never unlocked. "We do not keep records of in-game transactions therefore have no way to verify your claim."

And then there is the ongoing and very real risk of infection or identity theft when using the PWE zen-purchase portal. I'm up to three pages of complaints from people who have had their bank account breached within moments of using the various payment processors on the PWE page. PW assures me however they spend most money on latest measures for prevention therefore this is not the case in all situations. THAT is EXACTLY what the response said last time I complained.

In reality though, a BBB rating does very very little to a company. It's more of a lookup/warning for informed consumers. BBB has no enforcement capability.
    edited January 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Well just for curiosities sake I installed ARC, to see for myself what it's all about.
    Immediately Spybot - Search and Destroys Teatimer blocked 2 Browser Helper object installation attempts and an ArcPlugin showed up in my Firefox.
    Needless to say, ARC is being removed, all traces purged and and a complete spyware and virus scan run.
    I am unsure about what data Cryptic/Perfect World is gathering.

Is Arch being used to gather information about your hardware and software?
    Is Arch tracking your online activities?
    What are they doing with the data they gather? Selling it? Using it to make their products better?

I do not know.

Is there a way to monitor Arch's behavior algorithms?
  • cptniteusercptniteuser Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So if arc is going to be the only way to get in game I guess everyone that has the collectors edition CD is just out of luck.

Not a fan of ARC...seems like bloatware destined to sink the whole ship.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I did mention this a few pages ago. :D It fully integrates into your system and you cannot get rid of it.

Mention was made of anti-cheating and anti-fraud measures. Apparently PWE feels that many of it's players engage in profit-damaging cheating and fraud and therefore they need to monitor. In real time. Across all aspects of a player's existence. Including browser and social media integration. Don't know if this is true about the "cheating/monitoring" but the way the software interacts with my system I have to wonder.
    edited January 2014

DRM alone is fine.

DRM with advertising? I think its a whole different story.

I'm with you. I'm with you 100%.
    edited January 2014
    themarie wrote: »
    I did mention this a few pages ago. :D It fully integrates into your system and you cannot get rid of it.

Actually, you can get rid of it. You have to practically scrub your hard drive, though. I just set my firewall to block it, just in case.
  • goobilygoobily Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    2 issues I have with the Arc client:

1. Option to shutdown arc either when I launch a game, or game closes. I dont want Arc running all the time.

2. Vids dont work through it

"The adobe flash player or an HTML5 supported browser is required for video playback."

Looks like you're using Internet Explorer api or junk in Arc - i dont install IE add-ons or even have that browser enabled.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What has the world turn into....... *facepalm*

Indeed, when a U.S. company considers allowing a Chinese company's spyware software to be included into it's product.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47962225

It's stunning, absolutely stunning, that a U.S. company would even consider allowing this.

I'll tell you this, If any of you do download this, don't do so on a computer you use for your business.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I force shutdown ARC once the game launches.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    themarie wrote: »

Mention was made of anti-cheating and anti-fraud measures. Apparently PWE feels that many of it's players engage in profit-damaging cheating and fraud and therefore they need to monitor. In real time. Across all aspects of a player's existence. Including browser and social media integration. Don't know if this is true about the "cheating/monitoring" but the way the software interacts with my system I have to wonder.
    The software has already been removed. Anti-fraud/cheating measures is pure BS, what it is typical corporate raider datamining for marketing analysis and it won't be coming from my machine, seeing those browser pluggin attempts have confirmed one thing with certainty in my eyes, statements that ARC contains no spyware is a bald faced untruth.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They asked for our feeback, and we're giving them what they deserved:P

But you're using the real-world definition of "feedback." They were asking using the PWE definition of the word. See, in PWE-speak "give us feedback" is like Stephen Colbert asking about George W. Bush: "Great president, or the greatest president?" When PWE says "Give us feedback about ARC," they mean "Tell us whether ARC is a great game launcher, or the greatest game launcher!"
  • sinnaj63sinnaj63 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You want feedback?

Let's see?

WHY THE ****ING HELL SHOULD I NEED TO DOWNLOAD A CLIENT TO RUN THE STO CLIENT? Don't you learn anything from the only mistake Valve ever made, binding Half Life 2 to Steam(Which was in my Opinion not a mistake, but I should not deny the word of Gabe Newell)? Do we really need to download a program that sells our data to obscure buyers, uses our HDD for unknown things and is ****ing useless? Why i there need to make such a work of evil anyway? One can see on big Game Publishers, namely Ubi and EA, making their own client and failing(Especially Ubi. Trying to be serious but making a client obviously made for little kids) hardly? Are you aware of nothing around you? People are using Steam because it's great, Origin because they are forced to(Not that any of EA's recent titles would be any good anyway) and Arc...Not. Because Arc is not needed, especially when, luckily, the game is still avaible on Steam without any spyware to be installed and with quite a majority of microtransaction being made there.

Or short: Arc the SpyTool sucks and should be avoided at all costs.
  • luke3424luke3424 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    from reading the "features" in arc, i have not seen a single difference between Steam and Arc, except that steam has WAY more games available through it. The only reason i use steam, is because I can find most of the games i play in one place. I have looked at all the PWE games and I am not interested in them in the slightest, so I can see absolutely no point in installing Arc if all i want to play, and will ever play is STO.
    if PWE is dead set on forcing Arc down our throats despite the fact that almost 95% of people in this forum dislike it(obviously they are), do yourself and your company a favor and make Arc an option so the players who enjoy PWE games can launch them from one place, and those that only play STO can stick with the regular launcher.
    By making arc mandatory, all you will accomplish PWE, is lose over half the players, and potentially ruin STO. there are plenty of other games out there, and if arc becomes mandatory, i will spend my time on them instead of STO
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They obviously want to risk losing players over marketing for other games they know they don't want to play.

Funny thing after yesterday where I posted I had a way of logging in without using arc even though it forced me to download it off the website now it won't patch properly unless I open arc which AVG has given multiple recommendations to stop loading arc due to how much its requiring of the system to load. Plus still getting this request to install a plugin with chrome.
  • dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ...that ARC contains no spyware is a bald faced untruth.
    What else did you expect?

I wouldn't be suprised if it comes with a load of rootkits, spyware, trojans and is hi-jacking your internet to make you part of a chinese bot net...

Well, actually "wouldn't be suprised" is the wrong term - I expect those things to be build in :D
  • donbodonbo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Having drilled through all these pages of comments I am trying to wrap my head around why the only responses from the devs and Branflakes are to those that sing praises to ARC. It seems only logical that if you ask for feedback and you refuse to address questions that come from less than stellar reviews of ARC you create suspicion and distrust. Several posts have commented that when ARC was installed spyware programms sounded Red Alert! Perhaps what is needed is some transparency and an attempt at damage control. As Dennis miller said, "I don't know I could be wrong, this is just my opinion"!
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What we are not getting with ARC is answers
    1. What the hell does it actually do?

Based on the dancing anyone with answers has done around this question so far, the answer is "CLASSIFIED" and we'll never know.

(Most likely translation: They know that if they actually answered this question honestly, what few supporters they have would turn on them in a heartbeat.)
    2. Will it's use become mandatory at some point in the future?

Is the Pope Catholic? Do bears excrete in the woods? Does PWE love money?
  • k4t3k4t3 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sinnaj63 wrote: »
    People are using ..., Origin because they are forced to.

That's why we get more of this ****! They don't like it, they don't want it, but they use it anyway and then they wonder why this **** gets more and more and more ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • teluasteluas Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    arcgames comes up as a blocked site by my employer... makes me not even want to visit it from home
This discussion has been closed.