What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Arcgames.com is Ready for your Feedback

Comments

• askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    stomperx99 wrote: »
    (Temporary Thread Derailment)

Askray how was the new X-men? Was it worth the money?

*smacks stomperx for derailing a thread*

Yes totally worth the money :P
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    (Temporary Thread Derailment)

Askray how was the new X-men? Was it worth the money?
    Was it worth the money I paid to see it? Certainly. Was it worth the money the studio paid to make it? The box office returns think so. :)
    dgbgfnkqi05e.png
  • doyouwdoyouw Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hello,

my reasons for not being happy with ARC or steam launcher :

- what I enjoy with STO or some other game like that is that you only have to copy you directory to a USB key then go anywhere else and play without spending hours or having to polute other computers with launchers they dont need.

- when you have to format & re install Windows for any reasons (updating hardware or else) you only have to save STO directory and make a new shortcut when done and all is fine.

I'm a computer tech and all those launcher from various software are realy anoying especialy in taking resources, crashing most of the time (steam is well know for that even after all those years working on it they still cannot have a stable one).
    Btw STO is already unstable enough like that, just as I'm writing this game client is crashing over & over once it reached char selection, probably a server trouble but still....

I definitly think it would be A LOT more productive to fix major bugs like boffs troubles, loadout graphics, etc than working on a most useless ARC client.
    We already lost some members in our fleets because of those major bugs, people got so anoyed with char that are completely unusable they simply moved to another game, and I definity aprrouve them so imagine if we're forced to install ARC or STEAM.

Right now, for me, having to install ARC would make me quit STO forever even with all bug fixed .
    Dark Side (KDF)
    HOUSE OF BORG
    "I am FLATULUS of Borg, Resistance if Futile! Prepare to pull my finger!"

cube.jpg
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    doyouw wrote: »
    Hello,

my reasons for not being happy with ARC or steam launcher :

- what I enjoy with STO or some other game like that is that you only have to copy you directory to a USB key then go anywhere else and play without spending hours or having to polute other computers with launchers they dont need.

- when you have to format & re install Windows for any reasons (updating hardware or else) you only have to save STO directory and make a new shortcut when done and all is fine.

I'm a computer tech and all those launcher from various software are realy anoying especialy in taking resources, crashing most of the time (steam is well know for that even after all those years working on it they still cannot have a stable one).
    Btw STO is already unstable enough like that, just as I'm writing this game client is crashing over & over once it reached char selection, probably a server trouble but still....

I definitly think it would be A LOT more productive to fix major bugs like boffs troubles, loadout graphics, etc than working on a most useless ARC client.
    We already lost some members in our fleets because of those major bugs, people got so anoyed with char that are completely unusable they simply moved to another game, and I definity aprrouve them so imagine if we're forced to install ARC or STEAM.

Right now, for me, having to install ARC would make me quit STO forever even with all bug fixed .

You DO realize that Cryptic ISN'T working on Arc, right? This is all PWE.
  • doyouwdoyouw Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You DO realize that Cryptic ISN'T working on Arc, right? This is all PWE.

YES I DO, but that change absolutely nothing to the problem for endusers....
    Dark Side (KDF)
    HOUSE OF BORG
    "I am FLATULUS of Borg, Resistance if Futile! Prepare to pull my finger!"

cube.jpg
  • takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Question regarding ARC: I got STO at Launch, and installed it on an External Hard Drive (my Laptop at the time didn't have the memory space.) When I got my current laptop some five years ago, I copied STO from the EHD to my then-new Laptop (MUCH more memory than the old one). When ARC came out, I decided to download it, just see what it was about. Now, I have also downloaded Champions Online, only this happened between getting the new computer and ARC, so it was downloaded straight to the new computer. When I first booted up the ARC menu, it only showed me as having installed Champions - STO didn't register.

Any ideas as to why STO isn't registering on ARC for me, and how to fix it?
    76561198160276582.png
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    takeshi6 wrote: »
    Question regarding ARC: I got STO at Launch, and installed it on an External Hard Drive (my Laptop at the time didn't have the memory space.) When I got my current laptop some five years ago, I copied STO from the EHD to my then-new Laptop (MUCH more memory than the old one). When ARC came out, I decided to download it, just see what it was about. Now, I have also downloaded Champions Online, only this happened between getting the new computer and ARC, so it was downloaded straight to the new computer. When I first booted up the ARC menu, it only showed me as having installed Champions - STO didn't register.

Any ideas as to why STO isn't registering on ARC for me, and how to fix it?

U have to have it in the right spot to accommodate ARC (Hail Ming!), try downloading it for a couple MB's to get the folder where it needs it, then stop and drag and drop all of your updated STO files into that folder then it should work. Thats how i setup my new pc for all my games, to save on GB use.
  • takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    catstarsto wrote: »
    U have to have it in the right spot to accommodate ARC (Hail Ming!), try downloading it for a couple MB's to get the folder where it needs it, then stop and drag and drop all of your updated STO files into that folder then it should work. Thats how i setup my new pc for all my games, to save on GB use.

It worked!! :D

Thank you very much!! :D
    76561198160276582.png
    edited May 2014
    takeshi6 wrote: »
    It worked!! :D

Thank you very much!! :D

Its my duty as a Star Fleet Caitian =^.^=
  • paperclipriderpapercliprider Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Personally, I like the Borg-Style of forcing ARC on our computers: "We are the Arc. Your biological and technological ressources will be added to our own. Resistance is futile."

And just to state it clearly: I hate ARC and won't play STO anymore if I'm forced to use it. There are many other games out there!
    So you're a native speaker and I'm not. So what?:P
    edited May 2014
    They think that most will just give in and just hand their pc over to the machine once ARC is in place so they can still keep playing. It will come back to bite em in the end, but they wont think its ARC and not get a chance to learn from this move.

let me help u get back in the mood of friendly service PWE
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    They think that most will just give in and just hand their pc over to the machine once ARC is in place so they can still keep playing. It will come back to bite em in the end, but they wont think its ARC and not get a chance to learn from this move.

let me help u get back in the mood of friendly service PWE

Awww, I was hoping for a Person of Interest reference there... not that I'm saying Arc is intended to be a good Samaritan. :P
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    kazapsky wrote: »
    It quite blatantly scans your entire hard drive and reports its findings to PWE. Red flag.

It installs plugins to your native browser without permission, and actively works to keep those plugins in place. Red flag.

It siphons far more resources than any launcher program should need. Red flag.

It hijacks installations of other software programs, rendering them unusable unless it itself is running. Red flag.

It demands administrator access to your computer. HUGE red flag.

Honestly, how much more evidence do you need?

Does Arc REALLY do this? I've never seen it do this, or at least some of this.......
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Does Arc REALLY do this? I've never seen it do this, or at least some of this.......

A lot of the things mentioned have been shot down either by sparkie(sparkle?)soft or by others. The "quite blatantly scans" thing is looking for the PWE/Cryptic games you've installed and any possible cheating device.

The plug-in thing is just to start up Arc on the Arcgames website if you like to play it without minimizing windows. OG Planet does that.

It uses a little bit more resources than it should, but it shouldn't cripple your computer unless you're using a paperweight

The hijacking thing I've NEVER seen and it sounds like it's a piece of malware from another program and the person is attributing it to Arc

I can't vouch for administrator access - I don't know how to do that, so I don't know if it does.

IMO, a lot of these complaints is just a bunch of fear-mongering. There are people out there who don't know how a lot of this stuff works and a lot of people know this. What better way to stir up trouble than to come up with a bunch of lies playing up on people's fears. Thus, you get comments like that. The people who debunk it will just get shouted down and ridiculed because the naysayers tend to be louder and backed up by the pack.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I can't vouch for administrator access - I don't know how to do that, so I don't know if it does.

In most current versions of Windows, administrator accounts have permissions that normal user accounts do not. If you try to perform an action that requires administrator privileges as a normal user, then you will be prompted to log in as an administrator. I receive such a prompt when I try to run Arc as a normal user.

If you have created only one account on your computer and can install and remove software, then it is likely that your one account is an administrator account. To prevent unsafe modifications to the computer, it is recommended that you log in as an administrator only when you want to change something and use a normal user account for all other purposes. That is why some of us do not like the fact that Arc asks for administrator access.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
    edited June 2014
    A lot of the things mentioned have been shot down either by sparkie(sparkle?)soft or by others. The "quite blatantly scans" thing is looking for the PWE/Cryptic games you've installed and any possible cheating device.

The plug-in thing is just to start up Arc on the Arcgames website if you like to play it without minimizing windows. OG Planet does that.

It uses a little bit more resources than it should, but it shouldn't cripple your computer unless you're using a paperweight

The hijacking thing I've NEVER seen and it sounds like it's a piece of malware from another program and the person is attributing it to Arc

IMO, a lot of these complaints is just a bunch of fear-mongering. There are people out there who don't know how a lot of this stuff works and a lot of people know this. What better way to stir up trouble than to come up with a bunch of lies playing up on people's fears. Thus, you get comments like that. The people who debunk it will just get shouted down and ridiculed because the naysayers tend to be louder and backed up by the pack.

Fair enough, though in all practicality just how does Arc check for PWE/Cryptic games and possible cheating devices without scanning your hard drive? How does it identify a possible cheating device without sending feedback to PWE/Cryptic when it discovers such an item? Exactly how much of the item in question is uploaded to PWE/Cryptic and what is done with that data if it is found to be safe vs found to be questionable? Has the recent ruling allowing the "right to be forgotten" been taken into account where Arc is concerned, and how do we find out what information has been uploaded to and/or stored by PWE/Cryptic?

Personally, I'm just fine with my standalone launcher; Arc serves no purpose for me, so I don't feel the need to have it scan my drives either. Other folks can install Arc as they like, but I don't see the point other than data mining and cross-marketing... which I don't really have an interest in. Even if it is another piece of malware that is piggy-backing on Arc's processes to scan the previous poster's drives, wouldn't that mean that Arc is exploitable by such malware as is doing the scan?

Sure, some of those concerns might be a moot point, as could the concerns of others on this thread. Whether they are real or imagined, these concerns are still those of PWE/Cryptic's playerbase; forcing something onto that playerbase (or segment thereof) that it does not want is not likely to garner favor and may cost the company customers and money. Optional Arc is fine, mandatory not so much.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I will say this about ARC. All other MMO's that I do play in require launcher's too. THis seems to be the industry standard anymore to have launchers. SO either get used to them, or stop playing MMO's seems to be the state of things as I see it.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
    edited June 2014
    sisteric wrote: »
    I will say this about ARC. All other MMO's that I do play in require launcher's too. THis seems to be the industry standard anymore to have launchers. SO either get used to them, or stop playing MMO's seems to be the state of things as I see it.

Just to clarify, Arc isn't just a launcher... it's a replacement for the standalone launcher that provides additional functionality to both the user and PWE/Cryptic. Some enjoy the additional functionality provided to the user, some are concerned by the additional functionality it provides PWE/Cryptic. Thus the debate back and forth, which could easily be solved by leaving Arc optional... and making it possible to download the standalone launcher again.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    edited June 2014
    To clarify further. The other launchers for MMO's that I play do the exact same thing as ARC. SOme are better programmed and more efficeint, and some are done more poorly. But the the functionality and stated need and usage remains the same accross the board.
    Blizzard has done this same push from individual launchers to a an all in one launcher, and made it mandatory from the start. They have not received the greif that PWE has been receiving for thier slow move to it. And that launcher does the same thing and more. Some of which people found out about after the fact. And with no offcial release of what all it does.
    End results remains the same to me. Companies are moving to this mass launcher style for thier games. And I expect that this standard is going to become the only way games are released as the industry continues to thrive and expand.
    Complaining about it is not going to stop. ANd going to another game just means you will end up connecting to another companies launcher.
    Now as for the specifics, I can see talking about how it takes to much resources, and if the mojority of players think that this is an issue, then doing something about it. But I don't have any resource issues and I don't have most of the troubles that people report. And so I can't not add to any part of those discussions.
    So yes it is just a launcher. And even though it replaces an earlier version of a launcher, it does not mean that it's a bad move. Or that no one else is doing it.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)

• aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    sisteric wrote: »
    SO either get used to them, or stop playing MMO's seems to be the state of things as I see it.

You do realize that the existing non-ARC launcher, which has worked fine since I started playing, is a launcher, right? :eek:
    edited June 2014
    You do realize that the existing non-ARC launcher, which has worked fine since I started playing, is a launcher, right? :eek:

Yes I do. You do realize that we are talking about ARC, and there for a multi-launcher, and was the reference point I was making my statement from?:confused:

edited June 2014

Yes, click my link below, it outlines the basics from the EULA.

The people who already have it jump on us every time we resist it, like i said before if your cool with them monitoring you, go for it. I myself think they and everyone else can try to start learning to respect others privacy!! Or even the people who just dont want it! PWE, dont forget that many of the people you are fanning away like annoying peasants, helped to pay for your progress...plz dont forget that! We arent asking you to trash ARC, just to not make it mandatory...our stand alone launchers are what we bought and where promised, and of coarse what we expect. Why is that so hard to grasp...an individual state of being, in this day and age. You listen to other customers, why not us?? (throws up hands and walks away shaking head) :rolleyes:
    edited June 2014
    kazapsky wrote: »
    It quite blatantly scans your entire hard drive and reports its findings to PWE. Red flag.

It installs plugins to your native browser without permission, and actively works to keep those plugins in place. Red flag.

It siphons far more resources than any launcher program should need. Red flag.

It hijacks installations of other software programs, rendering them unusable unless it itself is running. Red flag.

It demands administrator access to your computer. HUGE red flag.

Honestly, how much more evidence do you need?

Okay uh no it doesn't. It scans your drive looking for games you installed already which even steam does that, so does origin, and it does NOT report it back to PWE.

It installs plugins, like steam does, and steam also tries to keep it in place. You can easily remove them by disabling the plugin (as I've done before)

It does not hijack other software programs lol. I have tons of software in ARC that I can run with or without it.

It uses the same amount of resources that steam does

Administrator access that's true, but if that's a huge red flag then 99% of apps in the world are huge red flags now a days.

Let us calm down with the incorrect, false fear posts kthx.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.

edited June 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Administrator access that's true, but if that's a huge red flag then 99% of apps in the world are huge red flags now a days.

None of the software that I run regularly, including the STO launcher and game client, requires administrator access.
    qVpg1km.png
    edited June 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    None of the software that I run regularly, including the STO launcher and game client, requires administrator access.

That's because it doesn't use by default the program files folder. Anything altering the program files directory requires administrator access.

edited June 2014
    That's because it doesn't use by default the program files folder. Anything altering the program files directory requires administrator access.

So if u setup a password protected admin permissions, before u downloaded arc, they wouldnt get past shared permissions (guest), and u would still be the sole admin of your pc?? If thats possible, that would mean they could only access what u wanted them to see right?
    edited June 2014

I just found your claim that 99% of software requires administrator access to run odd. If Arc requires adminstrator access because it needs to patch itself, then there are two solutions:

1. Give us the option to install Arc somewhere else besides "Program Files".
    2. Only ask for administrator access when Arc needs to patch and not when we are just trying to run the game.
    qVpg1km.png
    edited June 2014
    So if u setup a password protected admin permissions, before u downloaded arc, they wouldnt get past shared permissions (guest), and u would still be the sole admin of your pc?? If thats possible, that would mean they could only access what u wanted them to see right?

Huh? They don't gain administrative access to your computer o_O

edited June 2014
    Huh? They don't gain administrative access to your computer o_O

In order to function like it describes, wouldnt it have to have the same permissions as my security program...i run skype, and a few apps for buying, video, photo grabs and chat, even watch youtube. between missions. Its why ive been so dead set against it! If i decide to buy something online and it has permission to look for Pw's and activities of 3rd party programs, it may compromise my accounts from ebay, palpal, amazon, etc.
    edited June 2014
    In order to function like it describes, wouldnt it have to have the same permissions as my security program...i run skype, and a few apps for buying, video, photo grabs and chat, even watch youtube. between missions. Its why ive been so dead set against it! If i decide to buy something online and it has permission to look for Pw's and activities of 3rd party programs, it may compromise my accounts from ebay, palpal, amazon, etc.

You do realize that windows, while pretty secure, can still be TRIBBLE anyways with or without any help? :P

ARC doesn't sit there go digging through your computer , log EVERYTHING then ship it all to PWE here in cali. All it does is look to see if you got any of it's KNOWN games in your registry, and if so loads it into it. On load up of a game, yes it launches anti hack software that runs and makes sure you're not trying to inject/bot what not, but it's not sitting there saying "Oh look they logged into paypal lets grab their info!"

Security analysts would have seen that already and slammed PWE with massive fines. As for what admin access does, it COULD do some damage if it was a malicious program, so could skype which is built into windows 8 pretty heavily, so could IE, so could a dozen or so microsoft apps. ARC is no better or worse than a lot out there. Now all that said, do I personally think it needs it? No because I install it outside of the program files so I don't think it should be required. But again, it's the least of my worries :P

This discussion has been closed.