What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Arcgames.com is Ready for your Feedback

Comments

• Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Where is this spyware. People keep bringing it up but there is no spyware. The only spyware is in your heads. All programs send back system specs to the developer, it is in the terms that you agree to when you install the program. Yes some allow you to opt out, ARC is one of them. I opted in to send my specs back to allow devs to see what computer uses their software.

To the poster that had ARC installed a couple months back. That was an older version of the software, there is a new version of it.

All these problems people are claiming is in their head and just don't want to take the word of a regular gamer that has had the software installed since day 1, someone who is not an employee or paid by Cryptic/PWE.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,398 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    When I downloaded Arc, it recognized my current installs of STO and CO. No new download necessary.

The national registry page for Obamacare (more properly Gingrichcare, as it very nearly matches the proposal put forth by Newt Gingrich in 1994) wasn't TRIBBLE - it was swamped, because Obama's advisors never foresaw the number of state governments that would outright refuse to set up their own insurance-exchange websites. (My state had one set up already; nary a bobble here.)

Target didn't just get a website TRIBBLE; they had their entire database TRIBBLE. That's a tad more involved. And apparently they hadn't taken the trouble to hash their secure data, so it could be read in plain, a mistake that even Cryptic apparently didn't make (as we were informed when Cryptic's database was TRIBBLE a couple of years ago).

Basically, this program isn't going to make your computer any more vulnerable than it already is. And if you don't already have a good antivirus and system scanner running, odds are your computer has already been zombied.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    unikon wrote: »
    Its not about vulnerabilities or extreme testimonials laced with name calling. Its about building trust. You can't build trust by simply saying "Believe me!". You can claim to the ends of the earth that you're not paid off or have experience. The bottom line is that if some do not trust the software or the people behind it at least, they won't bother. Others have zero use for it, so its felt that its not needed. The rest of the concerned feel that its overkill for what they want or need. Scattered throughout are bug reports and other valid opinions.

You're not going to solve the trust problem with blunt instrument quashing.

Thx, ...all of the above for me. I feel I dont need to say anymore, thats what ive been trying to relay to begin with. Mine just had added panic! :P

...plus they still wont answer a single question. I wont be missed =U.U=
  • Options
    neotrident12neotrident12 Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    That's not at all what I was trying to convey. I use Arc pretty much regularly here at the office and at home (and no not because I have to, I genuinely like the platform). We do however like Steam and use it just as much, hence why the option to play our games on Steam is still there.

I am very glad to hear that steam support will remain, could you explain how the game will be patched and launched through steam if the STO launcher is being integrated into Arc?

The steam aspect is the area i have been desperate to hear news of so please continue :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well alot of the people complaining about the software have not even tried it. I have tried it and have been using it for quite sometime and have never seen the problems people who haven't tried it complain about. And if I had a problem with the software I wouldn't hide it.

My post where I said this - "I tried Steam, don't like it as it is rubbish as it hogs up my computer unlike ARC which doesn't."

That was a jab at those who use Steam but have never tried ARC, who say ARC does that stuff. Unless you actually try it, you have no grounds to stand on. I have Steam on my computer but I have not tried it so I can't go around saying Steam sucks, get rid of it.
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't have a problem with a unified launcher. I don't have a problem with them scanning my active processes as an anti-cheat/hack measure, I am used to that with Blizzard. What I don't want id the gimmicks, I would like a stripped down version without them even at the cost of not being able to take advantage of ARC exclusive offers.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I am very glad to hear that steam support will remain, could you explain how the game will be patched and launched through steam if the STO launcher is being integrated into Arc?

The steam aspect is the area i have been desperate to hear news of so please continue :P

How does it function on Steam right now anyway? Does Steam do the patching like with other games or does it just fire up the regular STO launcher?

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    viperiousspacedviperiousspaced Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    How does it function on Steam right now anyway? Does Steam do the patching like with other games or does it just fire up the regular STO launcher?

Steam just launches the launcher then minimizes. you can also put a shortcut of the sto launcher.exe from the game folder in steam on the desktop.
    This bypasses steam/Steam doesn't run.
  • Options
    astimingpyleastimingpyle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Or rather, I should say it made a mess of the STO website. The RSS links to feeds are all broken, they no longer lead to the stories they are supposed to, and the Dev Blogs are unreachable. I wanted to read Read Dev Blog #52, but the link provided by the Season 8 Dev blog index leads to the ARC site which does not lead to the actual Dev Blog.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,398 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    catstarsto wrote: »
    ...plus they still wont answer a single question. I wont be missed =U.U=
    The questions have been answered. Repeatedly. It's just that the people asking them don't like the answers, because they don't support paranoia.

So, got anything you'd like to get rid of before you leave?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited February 2014

In the past they said they plan to allow Steam to patch the game itself, likely something being worked on in conjunction with Arc development to replace the launcher. Everything I have seen in the past indicate that launcher integration is a long ways off yet.
  • Options
    switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    We do however like Steam and use it just as much, hence why the option to play our games on Steam is still there.

All Cryptic/Perfect World Games? And will that include future games as well?
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ok guys, I updated my forum signature so I don't come off as too grumpy against Arc.

Psst, get Steam. :)
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    The questions have been answered. Repeatedly. It's just that the people asking them don't like the answers, because they don't support paranoia.

So, got anything you'd like to get rid of before you leave?

Im not erasing my account im hoping they will come to their senses down the road again, i would guess a large amount of zen will be awaiting me from being a lifer, but sure, i have some old prizes in my vaults. Ill give away some in the coming days to people. :3 I had saved them for ether selling or party prizes, someone should enjoy them. I have a Star wars account and ive signed up for Everquest 2, so can still play a cat swashbuckler, lol. Mail me in game and say hi JS and ill send something cool your way.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Steam just launches the launcher then minimizes. you can also put a shortcut of the sto launcher.exe from the game folder in steam on the desktop.
    This bypasses steam/Steam doesn't run.
    reximuz wrote: »
    In the past they said they plan to allow Steam to patch the game itself, likely something being worked on in conjunction with Arc development to replace the launcher. Everything I have seen in the past indicate that launcher integration is a long ways off yet.

Well I sure hope it ends up working that way because it would ruin my Arc-avoiding plans if Steam just started the Arc launcher.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think that Arc is a good addition to STO and other PWE Games. It will make things much more efficient. It looks sleek, it just needs to be a little bit more functional.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    sparkiesoftsparkiesoft Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 47
    edited February 2014
    catstarsto wrote: »
    Look, I know the voice one player in the mix of things isnt worth much, let alone an answer. But in order to accept steam or arc, i would have to do 3 things with my pc that would really mess things up for me here. Try to at least look at it from my shoes.

(1) I would have to download the entire game all over again and use up my data limit for the month...thats not fair! I already bought the game (box/disc) I stick to my trusty old launcher because i can just drag and drop from one pc the next using my jump drive and save myself time,data and lots of money!

(2) Net security; look at obamacare website, the Target credit card situation, identity theft and hackers in general. This game has already been TRIBBLE once before around the time of pwe's change over i believe =O.o= Im not concerned about gold sellers, they arent a threat to me or my personal info. The spyware used to detect and infiltrate my files and leave me open is! Nowhere do I remember you guys saying you would access my pc or need such info other then the basics to access my games account. Can you not see my worry??

(3) Intentions for the future, i have feared the inability to fix certain problems over the years was due to lack of a large enough crew to handle things, then you expanded with pwe...more content (cool) same old bugs...still not fixed (not cool). I know once you become part of a plaza everyone is tossed their rationed lot, will sto be fed and treated like a generic browser game now that its joined arc's cartoony setup? Will the stuff ive been asking to be fixed ever be fixed?? I never get a response from anyone from the cryptic or pwe team that ive remembered....where do we go from here with customer service/bug report guys/gm/etc? I keep hearing others say you dont care, prove them wrong, I could as well as many others use a bit of confidence in pwe at this point. Please? This situation has me worried, its why ive been trying to bring it to your attention for so long.

I know its easy to buy off some people, spinner bait works best. Fear of "do it or else" can coax many others. Some just will do as they are told no questions asked, "..good boy Mongo." But I really think instead of forcing players into one door like cattle, let them choose their own path, you may pick up more along the way if fish-boned out. Your in marketing, word of mouth can reach further then one billboard! Look at how many of us have promoted and celebrated this game around the net, youtube especially!!

1. Well with Arc, if STO is already installed you shouldn't have to re-download it. It should recognize your previous install and allow you to run it through Arc. If that's not the case though (and in some instances it isn't), let us know. We're still working on ironing out all the bugs, and this one is pretty high on our list.

2. I understand your worry, but you have to look at it from a bigger perspective. Net security is a big deal, for any company dealing with net based programs, etc. This can happen to anyone, as shown by your examples. We're doing our best to prevent security breaches though.

3. Bugs on Arc are handled by a completely different team than STO bugs. The developers at Cryptic are extremely talented and work around the clock to iron out all the bugs they can. If you find a bug, submit a ticket and try to gather as much proof as you can. If possible, screenshot or record the steps on how you found this bug. This helps the developers find and squash those bugs.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I wish people were more enthusiastic about Arc, it seems like a really good thing.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The way I see it, Arc is a good thing for the game and PWE games in general. It will make things much more compact and efficient. I also love the interface, it only needs to be a little more structured. I love how the news is represented. I can't wait for all PWE games to be combined in to Arc. It will be like Steam but better. Who agrees? :D
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Also, large amounts of arsenic will do your heart wonders!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The way I see it, Arc is a good thing for the game and PWE games in general. It will make things much more compact and efficient. I also love the interface, it only needs to be a little more structured. I love how the news is represented. I can't wait for all PWE games to be combined in to Arc. It will be like Steam but better. Who agrees? :D
    and unicorns fly and TRIBBLE rainbows
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Sorry but no. I won't even install it for the free stuff.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'll stick with Steam.
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    How much were you paid to say this?

Okay, actually i do not mind it either, but i can easily see why some people hate it.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I think people will like Arc once it is fully implemented. Not everything's going to perfect right away. Arc will improve over time. They did do an awesome job so far though.
  • Options
    odstparker#7820 odstparker Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I have a very compact and efficient method already. It's called a downloaded launcher, one that I can fit, along with all the game files and PLENTY of room to spare, on my 64gb flashdrive. I could literally click a few times, put in my password, and play within a couple of minutes.

I don't need Arc, I prefer using the method that I currently use. Since STO is the only Perfectworld game that I play, then I should be able to play it any way that I see is most efficient. So thanks, but no thanks. I'm good.
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think people will like Arc once it is fully implemented. Not everything's going to perfect right away. Arc will improve over time. They did do an awesome job so far though.

I hate Arc because it is bloatware. I don't evenwant steam running in the background.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    mwaldron99mwaldron99 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    People hate Steam, Origin, Uplay - for some reason.

Anything that organizes a twisted crazy hard disk into categories isn't bad. In fact, Arc isn't a virus or anything, it's very helpful as a news reader and feature announcements.

One true thing, people will hate. But that makes them happy. let them hate. Make your own decision, let it not be changed with any hater.

Just how it is, sorry some won't like arc no matter if it came with a free lifetime sub.
  • Options
    legetdumarlegetdumar Member Posts: 263
    edited February 2014
    enoemg wrote: »
    I have a very compact and efficient method already. It's called a downloaded launcher, one that I can fit, along with all the game files and PLENTY of room to spare, on my 64gb flashdrive. I could literally click a few times, put in my password, and play within a couple of minutes.

I don't need Arc, I prefer using the method that I currently use. Since STO is the only Perfectworld game that I play, then I should be able to play it any way that I see is most efficient. So thanks, but no thanks. I'm good.

Same here. After all, I'm here for 2 words, STAR TREK. If CBS pulled the license from PWE tomorrow and gave it to my slow cousin Ernie, I would follow that license to my slow cousin Ernie, lol.

Besides, I see the way STO is being managed, and I use that term VERY loosely, I don't see that any of PWE's other titles would be any better, so I have no real motivation to try them.

So, my lack of interest in ARC is simple pragmatism, an app that allows me access to other titles I have no interest in trying is not necessary.

I'll just stay with my little old launcher, TYVM. :D
    Criticism, while never agreeable, is necessary. It is like pain in the body. It brings attention to an unhealthy state of things---Winston Churchill
This discussion has been closed.