test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Arcgames.com is Ready for your Feedback

Comments

• hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    So in your opinion the creation of this ARC is just to increase the volume of advertisement to make us wanting to buy more stuff?

I am 100% convinced of it. Every single one of the supposed "benefits" to the players are just window dressing camouflage.
    Because if this is the goal is going to backfire big time.

The question is how it will backfire. I seriously doubt PWE is going to let STO be it's own unique little snowflake that doesn't require an Arc install. So will the game die off for lack of interest, or be plagued with a rash of "enforcement actions" against players who take matters into their own hands to circumvent the Arc requirement?
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well with time those players who barely come here will notice the problems and may become aware. I don't know.

In one hand I don't mind having a platform for all the PWE games if improves the game and diminishes the login problems, automatically updates without issues but as long as it will not affect greatly or drastically the performance of my PC, many games out there have some type of this already on them, Steam in itself is this kind of platform.

On the other hand I hate the unknown, the lack of clarity, trustworthiness and honesty on PWE and Cryptic part, they are selling us a wrapped toy telling us that we will like it and that is very dishonest. Unwrap the toy and let us look at it and decide if we want it.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Verdict: While 15 MB, 10.1MB, 54.2 MB and 81.1 MB is quite high, it's not the resource hog you guys are complaining about. There are more resource-gobbling programs out there.
    With all due, that's not a very good argument. It's not as bad as others :rolleyes:
    Other programs may be of more use to me personally than ARC is. Other programs aren't becoming mandatory.
    I have to decide if the benefit is worth the cost/risk with every single program I put on my system.
    Ultimate verdict: While I do agree that Arc could use a great deal of polishing,
    For this reason alone, It shouldn't be forced on anyone. Much less people who will gain nothing from it.
    Come back at me when it's "polished" and made into something useful to me.

OR Throw me some Zen for my trouble. I can be bought.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I still don't want ARC, but if you throw, oh, about 10 thousand ZEN at me, I can be bought. I'll just surf for TRIBBLE while ARC is on, anyway. That way PWE is thwarted, the devs keep their jobs, and everybody lives reasonably happily ever after.

If I actually need to do something important with my computer, I'll just get another or borrow one from a friend.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If u force me to change to ark i will not downloaded it i will stop playing sto i dont wont adds links or any thing else to do with pwe games.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    If u force me to change to ark i will not downloaded it i will stop playing sto i dont wont adds links or any thing else to do with pwe games.

It doesn't work like that basically if you just play STO it will only show you stuff that you look at anyways like the website. Then for forums you just click on STO forums but other than that it doesn't have ads or anything other than what you already see.

If they added some features to it that you could use for resources/podcasts/stuff helps you ingame while you can't be logged in for whatever reason then there would be more reason to want to use it.
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    That was not the point. Noone said that Arc is the most resource-gobbling program in the universe. The point was that Arc drains those resources for nothing. I don't get anything out of it, it doesn't do anything for me other than draining those resouces regardless them being a drop of water or a whole bucket dependant on the machine.

Why do I need to have a completely useless program draining those resources and running in background while I do completely another thing? Why would I want even that amount of virtual memory drained by something I don't need nor use? That's the question here.

^This, if PWE wants arc, a unified launcher for all games fine, but all the extra "features" that I don't care to use should not be wasting space in my memory, is it resource hogging? No, is it high resource demanding? Yes. All I want is an option in the launcher setting to be able to enable the features I want when I want them and disable them when I don't.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think the greatest danger to modern consumerism are forums. When one consumer slams another, due to having an alternate experience, the logic behind old school consumerism gets lost. We do not live in a world of like minded individuals. Its only normal to have different tastes and expectation.

I am extremely worried about conformists. Prior to video games entering into mainstream, the average gamer use to rebel against the machine. Now, some of you are conforming to the machine. I find it rather ironic.

As someone who does rage against the machine, I am against the implementation of Arch for a million reasons. My main gripes are due to privacy and advertising harassment issues. I personally want to be left alone. While I understand that DRM is important, I think Arch borderlines on blatant consumer harassment.

Keep Arch off my machine, or I will delete STO from my machine.

Its that simple.
  • otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As I have said before: I understand the thought behind ARC. A unified launcher does make some sense after all.

What I do not understand however, is why they flat out refuse to answer the question as to why ARC has to stay active whilst we are playing. This to me screams "Red Alert".

Can anyone say security breach? We want to know exactly what ARC does in the background. So, until we get some answers, not only about the above, but also some of the other questions asked in this thread, I will not even be testing ARC, as I care about my rigs safety.

Also, why is ARC so system heavy? I have an older gameing rig, not the newest, but it runs STO smoothly. But with ARC, I might need some upgrades, and upgrades ain't free...
    edited January 2014
    otowi wrote: »
    As I have said before: I understand the thought behind ARC. A unified launcher does make some sense after all.

What I do not understand however, is why they flat out refuse to answer the question as to why ARC has to stay active whilst we are playing. This to me screams "Red Alert".

Can anyone say security breach? We want to know exactly what ARC does in the background. So, until we get some answers, not only about the above, but also some of the other questions asked in this thread, I will not even be testing ARC, as I care about my rigs safety.

Also, why is ARC so system heavy? I have an older gameing rig, not the newest, but it runs STO smoothly. But with ARC, I might need some upgrades, and upgrades ain't free...

As far as multi game launchers are concerned I couldn't tell you, but for launchers in general... always on is not new, I play Tera Online from time to time and it's stand a lone launcher must be active while the game is running. For Tera it's a mechanics issue as the launcher is what makes since and assembles the raw DATA (my understanding). With PWE... your guess is as good as mine.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It isn't altruism driving the company to implement this software and if advertising their other games were the only motivation, it would be a futile one since users will merely plow through the advertising onslaught to get to the game of their choice.
    No, they want this software running on a users computer for other reasons and the presence of things like unexplained browser plugins leads one to the obvious conclusion that whatever it's true purpose, it is not one that is beneficial to the user.
    Arc currently may not contain a peer file exchange function, at this time, but I suspect in its final incarnation when it is required to remain active in the background all the time, that will be it's primary function and then every user will then be forced to share bandwidth, for PWEs benefit.
    Use of conformist tactics like peer pressure and ridicule won't alter the reality that this program poses a considerable security risk to the user in a time when such risks are of great importance nor does it change the fact that honest answers to the many questions about its functionality have been near to nonexistent.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
    edited January 2014
    Maybe PWE is been forced by NSA to collect information about the gamers, it is already been known that is taking place in WoW?
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    Maybe PWE is been forced by NSA to collect information about the gamers, it is already been known that is taking place in WoW?

:rolleyes: Yeah and we all see how that turned out, the bad guys aren't playing the games their controlling them (joking but really, all we got out of the nsa messing with WoW is a bunch of ns-agents addicted to video games)
    edited January 2014
    LOL, that was hilarious
  • sethpcsethpc Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just sent my feedback email to PWE, but I figured I'd post here as well.

The ARC UI itself looks pretty good. It's fairly straightforward and easy to navigate. My concern comes from the "always-on" requirement. The multi-launcher I have the most experience with is NCSoft's NCLauncher, and there's an option to close the launcher after your chosen game is running. But then, PWE doesn't want ARC to be just a launcher.

Given ARC's layout, I can see that they're going for a Steam-like experience. Unfortunately, I have no real need of a Steam-like experience when I already use Steam. Heck, I launch ALL my games through Steam, including Non-Steam games and gaming-related programs. I even launch PWE MMOs through Steam. And it is because of this versatility that I use Steam. Not to mention the acceptable memory footprint that it uses. Now, you CAN add non-ARC games to your ARC library, but Steam offers several different ways of sorting and viewing your library. Also, Steam uses (on my system) somewhere around half the memory that ARC uses.

So, it's not that I think ARC is bad, per se; I just find it superfluous when I already have Steam installed.
  • sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sethpc wrote: »
    Just sent my feedback email to PWE, but I figured I'd post here as well.

The ARC UI itself looks pretty good. It's fairly straightforward and easy to navigate. My concern comes from the "always-on" requirement. The multi-launcher I have the most experience with is NCSoft's NCLauncher, and there's an option to close the launcher after your chosen game is running. But then, PWE doesn't want ARC to be just a launcher.

Given ARC's layout, I can see that they're going for a Steam-like experience. Unfortunately, I have no real need of a Steam-like experience when I already use Steam. Heck, I launch ALL my games through Steam, including Non-Steam games and gaming-related programs. I even launch PWE MMOs through Steam. And it is because of this versatility that I use Steam. Not to mention the acceptable memory footprint that it uses. Now, you CAN add non-ARC games to your ARC library, but Steam offers several different ways of sorting and viewing your library. Also, Steam uses (on my system) somewhere around half the memory that ARC uses.

So, it's not that I think ARC is bad, per se; I just find it superfluous when I already have Steam installed.

Very good letter. +1 from me. -Fwiw.
    /Floozy
  • palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Not interested in the ARC....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Let me get this straight, If I go to the task manager and force all the Arc processes to shut down it would be considered an actionable offense?
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    alonar wrote: »
    Let me get this straight, If I go to the task manager and force all the Arc processes to shut down it would be considered an actionable offense?

...wait, what?
  • jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Not going to download it
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dgdolph wrote: »
    They know that they're gonna lose a lot of paying customers ;)

I used to play PWI (and vowed never to return to it again well before PWE bought Cryptic), I have a LTS for Champions Online as well as Star Trek Online and bought the Hero of the North pack for Neverwinter as well as the Legacy Pack for STO. I also generally get at least $200 in Zen a month.

Until this is no longer intended to be mandatory for playing any of my current Cryptic games (I don't care if they make it mandatory for future ones, I just won't play them) I do not intend to spend one more cent on any Cryptic or PWE games.

If it does ACTUALLY become mandatory, I will uninstall everything PWE and Cryptic related and they will NEVER get me back as a customer (regardless of whatever promises they make).

If they have no intention of listening to the outcry of their customer base who say they neither need or even want something like this, and intend to force it upon them anyway, then they deserve to join the ranks of other defunct gaming companies, and DO NOT deserve a "second chance" when they discover they have driven away all their customers.

PWE/Cryptic, you wanted FEEDBACK... How is that for Feedback?
  • tinkerbelchtinkerbelch Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Devs, thank you very much for your hard work.
    However, I am not interested in running arc to play STO unless it is my choice, and I realize this is probably out of your hands.
    Please give a link to people above you that i can express this feedback about arc. Or if someone reading this can find a link.

Thanks
  • jtmarshjtmarsh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have noticed talks on facebook about ARC. What is it? What I gather it is a launcher. Well I launch from the trek icon on desktop. When or will that change? Is that all it is?
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,185 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jtmarsh wrote: »
    I have noticed talks on facebook about ARC. What is it? What I gather it is a launcher. Well I launch from the trek icon on desktop. When or will that change? Is that all it is?

If you were a Steam user you would be uneffected regarding ARC. However if you had to at some point have to uninstall STO from your system, in order to redownload you will initially have to install ARC. ARC has been described by many as the poor man's Steam, alot of players really do dislike it, many see it as spyware, however there has been noting concreate proved that this is the case.

I personally have been using ARC when it was first released 31st May last year, and it has just recently gone through a major transformation. You can download STO without using ARC (there is a thread somewhere explaining how to do that).

I think ARC is really a matter of personal choice. I like it, but I am in a very very small minority of those who do, but like I said the vast majority dislike it alot.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I use it now and i like it. at the moment is largely optional, but will become mandatory later on and replace the launcher we have.

it is just a way they can advertise their other games, launch the other games if you wish to download them, incorporate their news and blogs into it and give people a way to access forums, or buy zen without needing to use a browser. its basically an all in one launcher.

a lot of people do seem to hate it. personally i think they are overreacting as its a pretty minor problem in the grand scheme of life as to how a game launches but whatever. make up your own mind.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I believe it also runs in the background to police cheating/hacking and will eventually replace the game's launcher, acting as the patcher/launcher for STO, right?
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I believe it also runs in the background to police cheating/hacking and will eventually replace the game's launcher, acting as the patcher/launcher for STO, right?

Besides the policing part you are correct.

Though it is a bit of extra Spyware (as if we need more) and bloatware as it hogs a bit of extra internet bandwidth and system resources while it runs int the background.

For those reasons I abhor it.
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    Besides the policing part you are correct.

Though it is a bit of extra Spyware (as if we need more) and bloatware as it hogs a bit of extra internet bandwidth and system resources while it runs int the background.

For those reasons I abhor it.
    spyware
    noun [ mass noun ]
    software that enables a user to obtain covert information about another's computer activities by transmitting data covertly from their hard drive.

I'm intrigued in what way Arc is 'Spyware' - I mean this from a genuine enquiry, I'm a Mac player so I'm running the old style launcher as Arc isn't Mac compatible.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Here's an interesting bit of information...

During the early announcement / first Beta, it was noted that, in many ways, ARC will be a "PWE variant" of Steam, much like Origin is an "EA-Steam".

As has happened to EA (complete pull of EA product from Steam), many are afraid that Valve will cite PWE's ARC as a TOS violation and remove all PWE's products (Cryptic's lineup) from Steam...

Yet, PWE insists that at least STO, if not the entire Cryptic lineup, will remain available via Steam.

Seemingly, this is an incongruity. Claims that a second company will do what the first company desires just because the first company desires it is a fallacy. The second company will do what they want according to their rules, meaning first company's claims that the second company will cooperate is a blatant lie.

However, it has been noted that a "theoretical" ARC-lite, that includes the patcher/launcher abilities but does not include a single shred of "Steam-like" functionality, would seemingly meet the requirements of Steam's TOS that prevent "Steam-clones" from running within Steam. Obviously, to meet this requirement, said launcher would most likely have to be the traditional "activate, patch, launch, deactivate" style that the current launcher is. Coincidentally, a seeming majority of complainers indicate that they have no beef with an "ARC-lite" replacing the current Cryptic launcher, as long as it meets the "activate, patch, launch, deactivate" mandate...

Again, PWE insists that this cannot be allowed to pass. It has to be the full ARC experience or nothing it seems.

Second incongruity. Or second lie.

With this potentially in the back of many people's heads (as discussion of it seems to have dropped by the wayside after PWE's initial and repeated claims about continued Steam availability) there exists a "violation of trust" that is necessary to make an orderly transition possible. As such, all other PWE claims (no backdoor torrent functionality, opt-out of "data mining" actually working, etc.) are immediately questioned and can only be placated by the software doing absolutely nothing that can even be construed as such. Therefore, things like scanning for a non-ARC installation of a PWE game, or the existence of a process that might eventually use a shred of bandwidth, are immediately questioned and despite PWE's claims, believed to be the worse of the two options (as it has been postulated that at least one of PWE's stances will be invalidated by full launch).
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dareau wrote: »
    Here's an interesting bit of information...

During the early announcement / first Beta, it was noted that, in many ways, ARC will be a "PWE variant" of Steam, much like Origin is an "EA-Steam".

As has happened to EA (complete pull of EA product from Steam), many are afraid that Valve will cite PWE's ARC as a TOS violation and remove all PWE's products (Cryptic's lineup) from Steam...

Yet, PWE insists that at least STO, if not the entire Cryptic lineup, will remain available via Steam.

Seemingly, this is an incongruity. Claims that a second company will do what the first company desires just because the first company desires it is a fallacy. The second company will do what they want according to their rules, meaning first company's claims that the second company will cooperate is a blatant lie.

However, it has been noted that a "theoretical" ARC-lite, that includes the patcher/launcher abilities but does not include a single shred of "Steam-like" functionality, would seemingly meet the requirements of Steam's TOS that prevent "Steam-clones" from running within Steam. Obviously, to meet this requirement, said launcher would most likely have to be the traditional "activate, patch, launch, deactivate" style that the current launcher is. Coincidentally, a seeming majority of complainers indicate that they have no beef with an "ARC-lite" replacing the current Cryptic launcher, as long as it meets the "activate, patch, launch, deactivate" mandate...

Again, PWE insists that this cannot be allowed to pass. It has to be the full ARC experience or nothing it seems.

Second incongruity. Or second lie.

With this potentially in the back of many people's heads (as discussion of it seems to have dropped by the wayside after PWE's initial and repeated claims about continued Steam availability) there exists a "violation of trust" that is necessary to make an orderly transition possible. As such, all other PWE claims (no backdoor torrent functionality, opt-out of "data mining" actually working, etc.) are immediately questioned and can only be placated by the software doing absolutely nothing that can even be construed as such. Therefore, things like scanning for a non-ARC installation of a PWE game, or the existence of a process that might eventually use a shred of bandwidth, are immediately questioned and despite PWE's claims, believed to be the worse of the two options (as it has been postulated that at least one of PWE's stances will be invalidated by full launch).

Simply going to point out that there are still tons of EA titles still available through Steam.
This discussion has been closed.