Install Arc
Options

Arcgames.com is Ready for your Feedback

Comments

• Options
    kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    robdmc wrote: »
    How is this a Dishonest analogy. They are not forcing you to play their game. They are not forcing you to install arc. They have made it clear that steam is also an option.

People have clearly on this forum said they are doing this. I have not seen a single people have a shred of proof presented that they are doing it. To demand proof they they are not doing it is completely unfair. All they can do is say that they are not doing it.

If you have proof then post it. Otherwise it is defamation.

How about you having the choice of a button where you click, I want to use ARC, or another button that lets you say HELL NO I don't want ARC, let the customer choose what they want.

It is their game but the game is running because the money we pay in subscriptions and ZEN, we pay for the game to run.

If no one pays money the servers go OFFFFFFF.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    mewi wrote: »
    Then maybe you can explain why it functions as it does.

There is nothing to explain because it doesn't function as you state it does :confused:There is no torrenting/ anything similar to torrenting available with Arc.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There is no torrent/ peer to peer on demand sharing. We've communicated this many times.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Then why does it intrusively scan my hard-drives every time I use it? All four of them, all of my partitions?

Also, can you explain why it insists on installing browser plug-ins?

And finally, I would ask that you release the source code. No I am not trolling here. Someone is feeding Marketing a line of BS about ARC and Marketing is doing their best to sell it. However real-world experience is telling US the consumer something totally different. TOTALLY. So lets see the source code, so we can pick it apart and find out why it does the things it does.

As for STO being in maintenance mode -- Brandon it does feel that way. QA/QC ignores specific problems while tweaking cosmetics, fixing a problem that only affects a tiny number of people and only adjusting/fixing lockbox or otherwise sell-able things.

FAW, Costume bugs, uniform clipping, memory leaks, severe graphic glitches, sound-holes, errors and problems in the progression missions... The game is in maintenance mode, sir. Only enough to keep a thin layer of shiny over the cracks while the next half-finished bug-riddled thing launches. And that'll be ignored while marketing pushes the next lockbox and rep circuit.

Brandon, you need to take these concerns up the chain of command, I'm not the only one seeing these issues. Look at this thread. You asked for feedback, we told the company NO. ARC. And yet... no one is listening.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How is this a Dishonest analogy. They are not forcing you to play their game. They are not forcing you to install arc. They have made it clear that steam is also an option.

People have clearly on this forum said they are doing this. I have not seen a single people have a shred of proof presented that they are doing it. To demand proof they they are not doing it is completely unfair. All they can do is say that they are not doing it.

If you have proof then post it. Otherwise it is defamation.

if one side is presenting an case on a product that has some merit it is the responsibility of both sides to investigate if there any truth to it and then meet up later to provide their findings, if the company says they found nothing to support this case along with some stonewalling because of their legal side and then the otherside suddenly finds a whole pile of evidence, it would make the former look pretty silly that they infact did not take this seriously. they would infact be shooting themselves in the foot regardless how they presented themselves. sometimes a person doesnt need anything more then an accusation at times to prove something is wrong on the company end, on a regular basis on this forum that has been proven.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There is nothing to explain because it doesn't function as you state it does :confused:There is no torrenting/ anything similar to torrenting available with Arc.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

BranFlakes, I'm starting to think that these people have just devolved into out and out fear mongering and conspiracy theorists who just don't like change. You're cool. STO is cool. PWE is cool.

It's these guys who aren't and they're really becoming a pain here.
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mewi wrote: »
    Then maybe you can explain why it functions as it does.

OK why are you saying it is functioning this way? Have you run a netstat -a and saw listening ports? Have you ran a packet sniffer like ethereal and saw the packets going to multiple destinations? Do you have a QOS repost on its network usage?

What have you seen that makes you say it is a torrent?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    and then the otherside suddenly finds a whole pile of evidence,

So you have nothing and expect to find this pile when? Arc is already available. Is there some evidence you are not telling us?

Part of investigating it together to that the accusing side need to come forward with evidence to make the claim valid.
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How is this a Dishonest analogy.

Because I am not just accusing a random person out of the blue, I am treating someone who is forcing something on me with justified suspicion.
    They are not forcing you to play their game. They are not forcing you to install arc. They have made it clear that steam is also an option.

If the pitch were something as honest as "If you want to keep playing STO, you must install Arc," it would be different, but we're getting some cagey tap-dancing on that point.
    All they can do is say that they are not doing it.

Not true. What they could do is say "Here are the complete technical details of everything Arc does, and the reasons behind these functions." When you hide things from people, they tend to suspect you have something to hide.

I am not going to accept on faith that there is nothing undesirable about Arc invading every corner and nether region of my machine.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Because my account date is new, it does not mean I am new, I was part of STO before PWE bought it and all these creepy things have happened before. The lack of forthcoming, the lack of telling us the truth and the hiding has always been part of PWE, before they bought PWE many of us said and asked STO not to do it. But money talks.

I have played many PWE games and this does not take me by surprise.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    hanover2 wrote: »
    "Here are the complete technical details of everything Arc does, and the reasons behind these functions."

Let me know how that works for you. I've been wondering how Microsoft does it too. They have yet to release their source code for windows 8 and I want to know.

Other then distrust, do you have proof?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    So you have nothing and expect to find this pile when? Arc is already available. Is there some evidence you are not telling us?

Part of investigating it together to that the accusing side need to come forward with evidence to make the claim valid.

why are you picking specific things apart outside the context of what i written out? use it all or dont use it at all.
  • Options
    zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited January 2014
    themarie wrote: »
    Then why does it intrusively scan my hard-drives every time I use it? All four of them, all of my partitions?

Do you really expect an answer? :rolleyes: These questions have been asked a couple of times on this thread, without a single answer. While the torrent question is anwered over and over again, those questions like yours have been ignored for about ~49 pages.

In fact this already is a kind of answer as well....
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    zeratk wrote: »
    Do you really expect an answer? :rolleyes: These questions have been asked a couple of times on this thread, without a single answer. While the torrent question is anwered over and over again, those questions like yours have been ignored for about ~49 pages.

In fact this already is a kind of answer as well....

Indeed like my question why I cannot have the choice to say I don't want to use it or I want to use it. Why I am forced to use ARC?

One thing I don't get it yet, why do you ask for feedback if you don't want to hear it?

99% of the posters are telling you we DONT want it.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    now this issue with you not installing arc then saying i have no clue... hmm. cant ask questions on it you dont know of, so that ends that line of thought.

Okay, I've been very transparent about what I have and have not done. But I'll recap.

I have not installed Arc on the old family laptop. No reason to, yet.

I have installed Arc on my new laptop, because I needed to install STO anyway. It has never once tripped up any antivirus software. MacAfee, then Avast.

I looked at the memory utilization last night, just out of curiosity. It was a bit larger than expected, but still a drop in the bucket on a machine with 8 GB RAM. If you're on one of those 4 GB budget boxes, then you can expect to have performance issues with or without Arc.

I'll even open the questions up to everyone:

Have you installed the current Arc client? Yes or no? If so, what specific problems have you seen with it?

Have you installed the new Arc client beta? Yes or no? If so, what specific problems have you seen with it?

I have seen a handful of responses from people who've actually installed it and are actively testing it. They're providing specific details. I appreciate those responses and I take them seriously.

I am not entirely dismissing reports of security software triggering an alert, but I am savvy enough to know that not all such software is created equal and that there may be a potential for false positives. If some are and some are not, then there's room for doubt in either direction.

Heuristic malware analysis is a tricky, tricky thing from what I understand. It looks for any insecure software behaviors. That could be malware, or just insecure programming practices. It can't prove intent, and it requires a security analyst who knows what they're doing to follow up and figure out what's actually happening.

If there's a positive, you're right to question it. I hope that if PWE is getting reports of their software getting flagged by heuristic analysis that they will take it seriously. It could mean that they are using insecure libraries that they need to replace with better ones. It might mean that they need to fix code that's doing something in an insecure way. It might actually be a legitimate activity that's necessary for the program to work as intended. Or it might mean that they've intentionally planted malware... but if that were ever proven they would be done as a developer, so I find this very unlikely. Unless of course, they secretly work for the NSA or unknowingly have an NSA operative on staff.

The obvious remedy is to wipe your hard drives, reinstall your OS, never ever download a PWE game or any other software, and never ever connect to the Internet ever for any reason. Then you can be certain of your security. Short of that, you gotta trust somebody at some point and that's a personal decision as to how far you do.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited January 2014
    BTW with no exact statement to these issues above, this programm won't get installed. Even if the consequence is that i can't play that game anylonger. Definetly not my problem if the company has such a TRIBBLE communication policy.

A lot of others think the same.
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    why are you picking specific things apart outside the context of what i written out? use it all or dont use it at all.

What I have asked for is proof. You have to pick things apart to get at the heart of the matter. it is how you reason on things. that is how you fight things like fear mongering. All I've read is baseless accusation.

Now if some one wants to sandbox arc and do tests to prove it, then I'm all for it. Again we need proof.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I am on the same boat, right now I have managed to bypass ARC to be able to play STO, but if I am forced to download the new ARC to play STO, I am quitting this game, there are a lot of new games out there and more coming.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Okay, I've been very transparent about what I have and have not done. But I'll recap.

I have not installed Arc on the old family laptop. No reason to, yet.

I have installed Arc on my new laptop, because I needed to install STO anyway. It has never once tripped up any antivirus software. MacAfee, then Avast.

I looked at the memory utilization last night, just out of curiosity. It was a bit larger than expected, but still a drop in the bucket on a machine with 8 GB RAM. If you're on one of those 4 GB budget boxes, then you can expect to have performance issues with or without Arc.

I'll even open the questions up to everyone:

Have you installed the current Arc client? Yes or no? If so, what specific problems have you seen with it?

Have you installed the new Arc client beta? Yes or no? If so, what specific problems have you seen with it?

I have seen a handful of responses from people who've actually installed it and are actively testing it. They're providing specific details. I appreciate those responses and I take them seriously.

I am not entirely dismissing reports of security software triggering an alert, but I am savvy enough to know that not all such software is created equal and that there may be a potential for false positives. If some are and some are not, then there's room for doubt in either direction.

Heuristic malware analysis is a tricky, tricky thing from what I understand. It looks for any insecure software behaviors. That could be malware, or just insecure programming practices. It can't prove intent, and it requires a security analyst who knows what they're doing to follow up and figure out what's actually happening.

If there's a positive, you're right to question it. I hope that if PWE is getting reports of their software getting flagged by heuristic analysis that they will take it seriously. It could mean that they are using insecure libraries that they need to replace with better ones. It might mean that they need to fix code that's doing something in an insecure way. It might actually be a legitimate activity that's necessary for the program to work as intended. Or it might mean that they've intentionally planted malware... but if that were ever proven they would be done as a developer, so I find this very unlikely. Unless of course, they secretly work for the NSA or unknowingly have an NSA operative on staff.

The obvious remedy is to wipe your hard drives, reinstall your OS, never ever download a PWE game or any other software, and never ever connect to the Internet ever for any reason. Then you can be certain of your security. Short of that, you gotta trust somebody at some point and that's a personal decision as to how far you do.

+1 now that is a better response. provide positives and negatives and making sure the rest of the opinions both sides are taken into account. that i like bluegeek.

and yes nothing is ever 100% certain which is my ultimate point no matter what robdmc may try to blow a hole into and miss completely. thanks for your answer. nicely done :).
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    What I have asked for is proof. You have to pick things apart to get at the heart of the matter. it is how you reason on things. that is how you fight things like fear mongering. All I've read is baseless accusation.

Now if some one wants to sandbox arc and do tests to prove it, then I'm all for it. Again we need proof.

You don't need proof, you already have made your mind that you will install the new ARC and I say good for you, enjoy it, I just want the option of choosing if I want to install it or not.

If the answer is that I must install it, then my days in STO are numbered because I will not install it.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    You don't need proof, you already have made your mind that you will install the new ARC and I say good for you, enjoy it, I just want the option of choosing if I want to install it or not.

I never said I'm installing arc.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hanover2 wrote: »
    If the pitch were something as honest as "If you want to keep playing STO, you must install Arc," it would be different, but we're getting some cagey tap-dancing on that point.

What tap-dancing?

They already said it was going to be non-optional for new downloads and it is.

They flat out told people they could keep using the distinct launchers for now and even told us how to do it.

They've told people that they can continue to use Steam instead if they want. They're not promising that will always be true, and frankly I'm not sure I would believe them if they did.

They've made no secret that they want to eventually integrate all of the game launchers into the Arc client.

Personally, I suspect that time is at least a year or more away from today. I further expect that the Cryptic games will be the very last games to get fully integrated into Arc. That part is just my own opinion, but I think it's a reasonable expectation.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    dezstravusdezstravus Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    themarie wrote: »

And finally, I would ask that you release the source code. No I am not trolling here. Someone is feeding Marketing a line of BS about ARC and Marketing is doing their best to sell it. However real-world experience is telling US the consumer something totally different. TOTALLY. So lets see the source code, so we can pick it apart and find out why it does the things it does.

Hey themarie,

Can you elaborate on the report regarding the hard drive scanning? Arc does check your drives to see if launchable PWE games are installed, but I'm not sure if this is the behavior you are referring to. Please share any details if anything seems amiss and I'll escalate accordingly. Alternatively, you can email us at arc_feedback@perfectworld.com.

In regards to the browser plug-in, I am currently researching that topic to find out more technical information and hope to have more info to share on this thread soon.

~Dezstravus
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Blue thank you for your response that answers all my questions.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Arc does check your drives to see if launchable PWE games are installed, but I'm not sure if this is the behavior you are referring to.

Can you please assure us that this is the ONLY reason for such a scan?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hey themarie,

Can you elaborate on the report regarding the hard drive scanning? Arc does check your drives to see if launchable PWE games are installed, but I'm not sure if this is the behavior you are referring to. Please share any details if anything seems amiss and I'll escalate accordingly. Alternatively, you can email us at arc_feedback@perfectworld.com.

In regards to the browser plug-in, I am currently researching that topic to find out more technical information and hope to have more info to share on this thread soon.

~Dezstravus

If it checks my hard-drives once for PWE products that's fine. All it needs is a single runtime scan after installing. From that point forward... once ARC is integrated into my system... It should know when I install ANYTHING involving PWE. And it would be a simple matter for the program to do a checksum style test on any and all PWE products I use to determine if I'm a hacker.

Given the way it integrates into my system both of those things should be no challenge to implement.

Instead, EVERY TIME I open up Arc, all four drives light up, the system slows to a craw and stays this way for 10-15 min. All of my network functions outside of Arc/STO slow to a crawl too while ARC is running. It's doing something in the background and I have no idea what.

I'm running six cores, 32 gig of ram, 1 year old video card, Windows 7.

So what the heck is it doing if not scanning my hard-drives? And why does it usurp control of my connection and throttle everything?
  • Options
    vaernminavaernmina Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You know if everyone on this thread went out and bought 100 shares of Perfect World Stock they could get together elect a spokesman and order Perfect World not to push through ARC.
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm only going on the information I've seen on the news and the information that been made available to me.

http://rockcenter.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/11/14369266-officials-say-chinese-spies-have-targeted-every-sector-of-the-us-economy?lite

http://intelligence.house.gov/sites/intelligence.house.gov/files/Huawei-ZTE%20Investigative%20Report%20(FINAL).pdf

I also know that a lot of STO players work for various U.S. companies. A few friends I play with do and use their own computers for both work AND to play STO.
    In-fact, I'd say a lot of Star Trek fans, gravitate toward computer and technology industries.

Knowing these facts:

I ask myself where the hell is this software originating from ? Cryptic ? Or PWE ?
    Who's pushing to make it mandatory and why ?
    Someone's gotta be gaining something out of all this time and effort.

And I further ask myself if this software brings anything that I need, or that would enhance my personal experience. For me, so far the answer is NO.

I use in game chat, communicate with friends via teamspeak and don't play any other PWE games.

As a computer owner/user I treat every single piece of software I put on my computer as suspect and I have to way risks vs rewards before down loading anything.

I also have to utilize my computer's limited resources as wisely as I can.

We all do this. Anyone who argues in this day and age to just trust any foreign entities's software, regardless of whether they need it or not, is just plain crazy. Conspiracies schmonspiracies

NOW, If PWE were to give away free zen for using ARC.......... I'd be open to downloading
    it.
    You want to gather info about my system or my online activities? Fine, pay me for it.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    It's really amazing that this announcement happened on the same day at both NW and STO. We have around 50 pages of ranting against Arc and they have a page and a half of complimentary comments about how convenient and cool Arc is for NW.

LINK

I wonder what explains that difference. I can't find a thread about it at CO either.

Different type of players in each of the Cryptic games. There is some crossover of course.

NW being the newest game and being a solely download only game, more of the people who play it have obviously had to do so by installing ARC. Which for them means ARC or no game.

STO and CO being older games and actually having physical discs may mean that players use those discs to install the game and have access to the launcher. So for now there is no reason to waste time or space on ARC.

As for why you can't find anything on the CO forums about ARC is because, well, no one plays CO. :P

I kid, I kid. There are a lot fewer players there though so the uproar may simply be so small it's slipping through the cracks.

My opinion on ARC is simple:

If I have to use it to start Cryptic games, fine. As long as I can shut it down after the game is launched I have next to no problem with it.

If it's something I have to keep running in the background in order for my game to stay running, *THEN* I've got a major problem. Especially if it's going to try and add things to my browser that I don't want. And from everything I'm hearing, it's sounding more like this is the route it's taking.

Now, it's still in beta and has bugs, obviously. Perhaps that's why it's setting off peoples spyware and antivirus programs. Could the program not be doing everything it's intended to be doing and perhaps doing things it's not supposed to do? Of course, otherwise they would have rolled it out by now and we'd all be using it.

Or Steam.

Either way, I'll wait until the finished product rolls out to base my final opinion on it. But, since they asked for feedback I'll give them mine below...

ARC seems like a good thing for PWE games, just not Cryptic/PWE games. Cryptic already has a unified launcher that can and does launch all 3 of their games with little trouble. I also understand PWE wants to bring all their properties under "one roof", so to speak. Allowing Cryptic games to maintain their own launcher system as well as be incorporated into ARC may be a compromise. If an individual player wants to go the ARC route they can, or if they wish to continue using the old launcher they have that option.

I know that having the launcher and ARC will never fly and PWE has spent too many resources to NOT use ARC as the one and only way to play their games, aside from Steam, currently. So once PWE feels ARC is bug free enough, they will disable the Cryptic launcher and we'll be stuck with ARC or Steam. And since Steam is an option, I will likely be headed in that direction until PWE pulls Steam support as well.

Which if they do, could raise one heck of a crapstorm.

tl;dr

I don't want ARC, Cryptic games don't need ARC and I really don't want to use ARC. If I am to chose between ARC and Steam, I'll pick Steam. And I really hate Steam. If PWE pulls support for the Cryptic games away from Steam and makes ARC the one and only way to play Cryptic games, then maybe my days of playing Cryptic games will be at an end.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    sevmragesevmrage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I used ARC for a time, and uninstalled it due to performance issues. That's my stance on it. I can run STO without any major problems as long as ARC isn't on my system. I have a proper gaming rig waiting on me that can handle running ARC better, but I sill keep STO installed on this one, and will continue to use this laptop.

If ARC is forced, I could live with it, but the option needs to be made to shut it down after STO starts.

PWE should keep in mind that there are poor players of games that don't have the high-end computers required to handle running a bunch of stuff at once.
    Weyland-Yutani Joint Space Venture - Always open to new members!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My name is Rage, and I too support a revised Galaxy family.
    khayuung wrote: »
    Firstly, be proud! You're part of the few, the stubborn, the Federation Dreadnought Captains.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    @themarie,

Are you familiar with resource monitor in windows 7? It has some interesting filters that might help show them what is happening.

http://i.imgur.com/JPwRhgw.png

http://i.imgur.com/22qG77f.png
This discussion has been closed.