Install Arc

Arcgames.com is Ready for your Feedback

Comments

• sinnaj63sinnaj63 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Maybe they were brainwashed :P.
    They probably just deleted a few posts.

Then sent a few Helicopters to get anyone disliking arc into chamber 101.
  • solidshatnersolidshatner Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    It's really amazing that this announcement happened on the same day at both NW and STO. We have around 50 pages of ranting against Arc and they have a page and a half of complimentary comments about how convenient and cool Arc is for NW.

LINK

I wonder what explains that difference. I can't find a thread about it at CO either.

I'll grant that the thread is smaller, but there are numerous complaints on that link as well (granted not as vocal). IE - my extra mouse buttons don't work, issues adding games, etc. I said this in a previous post and will do so again for everyone claiming that other PWE game players aren't as upset about it:

Those players are actually playing other PWE games and I'm pretty sure they're in the minority. If you break down the numbers (I'll admit I don't have them) - I would bet you dollars to doughnuts STO players that enjoy other PWE games are very much in the minority. I'll also bet that those PWE players, in turn - do not play STO.

If I like Star Trek Online, why would you automatically assume I'm a customer that also wants to play with friggin Trolls, Elves, Wizards and burn my time unlocking The Super Sword Of Ultimate Coolness +5? I'M NOT!

I would like someone to answer my original question though as there is way too much speculation and not enough quoted facts IMO - Where does it say that I will have no choice but to use Arc to play STO? Am I seriously being forced to use this at some point? If so - what is the ETA?

Please clarify.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gizmox64gizmox64 Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Nope, things in the 90's were FUNCTIONAL.

You know what it looks like?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9900/

A Steam page ...

That's because ARC IS Steam for PWE library.
    Unneeded, unwanted, unnecessary.

Still no answer on if ARC closes when STO or any game is launched, but other comments were replied to by Cryptic.

Also don't forget that ARC also add a Service that is running as well (at least in my VM tests)
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Cryptic is not developing ARC, that's all PWE. Cryptic is being "forced" into using this for their games since they are owned by PWE.

While it's likely some of the Cryptic devs are working on the back-end to make sure that the Cryptic games work with ARC, this was not their idea.

At least, I hope it wasn't.
    I can almost picture an image of a computer nerd sweating at his computer while some corporate goon hovers over him.
    I was almost willing to soften my position on it until I found it trying to install pluggins in my browsers, that was a Watergate moment for me, there is absolutely no way they can spin positive on that one.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    It's really amazing that this announcement happened on the same day at both NW and STO. We have around 50 pages of ranting against Arc and they have a page and a half of complimentary comments about how convenient and cool Arc is for NW.

LINK

I wonder what explains that difference. I can't find a thread about it at CO either.

I had pointed that out earlier and, as you can see, it's hard to gauge as we're seeing people suggest that nay- and yea-Sayers are in the minority for both sides. The thing is we don't actually know. and so far we're probably the only vocal people here because it's, like 43 pages of the usually-Same people reinacting Steve Cardell's "NO!" Rant
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gizmox64 wrote: »
    That's because ARC IS Steam for PWE library.
    Unneeded, unwanted, unnecessary.

Still no answer on if ARC closes when STO or any game is launched, but other comments were replied to by Cryptic.

Also don't forget that ARC also add a Service that is running as well (at least in my VM tests)

Cryptic or PWE may not feel a need to answer this question when other users have answered it already, you have to manually close arc after launching the game, but only the client, when starting a game through arc there is a background process know at the arc overlay and this can not be closed as long as the game is running.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    with all due respect but they can repeat as much as they like, but until it's independently verified by a few reputable sources (which will not happen most probably), its our word against pwe's. so i can not retract any statements to the contrary until it's proven that it is not a spy programme or acting in a malicious way.

So wait... The game developers say it doesn't have spyware, malware, torrentware, etc. Granted there could be an incentive to make a false claim, but it would be a stupid false claim because somebody would find it, sooner or later.

But regardless, their claim is dismissed until proven?

On the other hand, anonymous users can scream spyware while presenting no real proof... and we're supposed to assume they're right? Why the double-standard of proof?

:rolleyes:

Find the smoking gun, the one that says they are compromising my privacy and the security of my computer, and I'll immediately uninstall every single Cryptic/PWE game and quit my role as a moderator. I'll burn all the bridges.

But collecting hardware and performance metrics from my system while playing the game, if that's what they're doing, is not necessarily a security risk. If they're opening or downloading any of my private files, or sharing my computer's resources with the public without my knowledge, that would be a smoking gun.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Maybe they were brainwashed :P.

Or perhaps the Neverwinter forums are heavily censored, as in, any kind of criticism towards the game/company, the posts are promptly removed. No idea since I don't play that game, but it could explain why there aren't many posts, as others have pointed out, with animosity towards Arc. And what little posts are there are at least somewhat in favor of it. It's a possibility and wouldn't be the first time I've heard of such a thing.

Either way, compared to the STO forums it says something. There you have a couple pages of players looking forward to it with almost nobody against it, and here we have 46 pages so far mostly against it, and that's just this 1 thread.

Or perhaps the community for Neverwinter is rather small compared to STO. And since the forum users are usually a small percentage of the overall game population, their forum dwellers are a much smaller number than here.

Meh. Don't care about Neverwinter, or Champions Online, or any other PWE game. Though if I were to try out 1 of the others I'd probably give NW a chance if anything.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    So wait... The game developers say it doesn't have spyware, malware, torrentware, etc. Granted there could be an incentive to make a false claim, but it would be a stupid false claim because somebody would find it, sooner or later.

On the other hand, anonymous users can scream spyware while presenting no real proof... and we're supposed to assume they're right? Why the double-standard of proof?

Find the smoking gun, the one that says they are compromising my privacy and the security of my computer, and I'll immediately uninstall every single Cryptic/PWE game and quit my role as a moderator. I'll burn all the bridges.

But collecting hardware and performance metrics from my system while playing the game, if that's what they're doing, is not necessarily a security risk. If they're opening or downloading any of my private files, or sharing my computer's resources with the public without my knowledge, that would be a smoking gun.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Then again, for many years there were "conspiracy theorists" claiming the government is spying on them and nobody believed them. Then look what happened eventually.

Just because there is no proof, does not mean it isn't happening. It just takes a while to prove something sometimes.

Corporations, the government, and everybody else, they always deny as long as possible. The problem is that when they are proven to be lying, they do everything they can to justify everything and still won't admit they were wrong.

If it can ever be proven that this Arc thing actually does spy on us, there will probably be claims of it being a glitch or something and they'll fix it ASAP, or come up with some other lame excuse.

But to be honest, I can't really say one way or the other since I would have no proof Arc is spyware. I'll just have to wait and see how things turn out. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So by your logic if PWE "repeatedly said" the moon was made of blue cheese and rain was actually aliens peeing on us from orbit then we should take it as the gospel and bow to PWE, because they "repeatedly said" it so it MUST be true?

No offense to the community moderators, but has anyone else noticed they seem to be in a competition for who can be the biggest ARC brown-noser? Just wondering.

They repeatedly keep saying it because people like you repeatedly insist that Arc is spyware.

You can shut me up real easy. Prove PWE is lying about this.

I've been around this community long enough to know that there is a contingent of forum users who love conspiracy theories and love to rant about stuff they don't have a clue about.

I'm not saying that I trust PWE completely and without any reservation. I'm positive that I'm not getting the whole story from them and probably never will.

But I'm smart enough to realize that they are following a master plan of some kind that probably does not involve turning my PC into a bot.

The arcgames website is obviously constructed to be mobile-friendly, and shares a lot of the same design problems as many other websites and applications that support both PC and mobile users. (Windows 8, anyone?)

They want to promote their own games. Well, duh.

They want a more unified social framework. They aren't there yet, by any means, but it's plain to see that's where they're headed. And why not? The whole world is going gaga for social networks, and for the good reason that they're excellent resources for targeted marketing. If they can keep players within the Arc ecosystem, those players are more likely to spend their time and money on PWE games.

The question is, do I trust them enough to load their software on my computer? At the moment, the answer is yes. I trust them the same way I trust a lot of other software developers.

I haven't downloaded the new Arc client beta, and probably won't. I'll let other people try it out and tell me what the problems are. Those are the people I want to hear from.

I am, however, a user of the current Arc client -- unlike many of the people who are swearing up and down that they aren't going to install 'bloatware'. I am saying from experience that it is not causing me to lag, is not consuming all of my bandwidth, and is not causing my security software to go haywire. If the new client manages to stay out of my way like the current one does, then I'm okay with it.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm also siding with PWE on this one. To say they are doing it and not give proof is not only a double standard but then the accused says they are not doing it and to demand proof it idiotic. You cannot prove a negative.

Just because one or two applications were triggered does not even mean anything. this is new software. False positives are a possibility and they are investigating it.

I still cannot see any motive to making a malware launcher. They are already on the computer via the game itself.

This thread is just fear mongering.

Personally, the only reason why I'm not using arc is because they still have not made an incentive for me to want to. I think they got the order wrong. They needed to get connect core operating in sto first. Sto is still largely independent from PWE. Neverwinter might have a bit more integration with PWE since it was launched after the purchase of Cryptic giving the developers time to make the transition a bit easier.
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You can shut me up real easy. Prove PWE is lying about this.

It would be nice if paying customers didn't have to play detective about TRIBBLE like this. Be fully transparent. State for the record in clear, specific, unambiguous terms that none of the things we are worried about are now or ever will be part of Arc.
    I'm positive that I'm not getting the whole story from them and probably never will.

Then you must concede that it is reasonable to be suspicious of them when they refuse to be pinned down about something.
    The question is, do I trust them enough to load their software on my computer?

If they want my trust, they can earn it by dispensing with the secrecy and the mealy-mouthed, lawyer-balling corporate doublespeak.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • bacon4freebacon4free Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is coming one big "i Quit" thread- gets popcorn!

I hope all you "i quit if, i demand, i want it now kids" really keep your word and leave sto if arc is coming mandatory or what ever you are ranting .

The one thing i was looking from arc was mail and the "lost delete all button" Really hoping you add it to arc!

i did love how fast i was able to start playing sto by using arc and i think it updates sto faster than the older launcher. Please make Arc mandatory, loving it!

- gets more popcorn:P
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014

then what about this file that cant be killed off in processes (which acts in a malicious way)? or that someone already mentioned through their virtual driver that it collects data and waiting to transmit without his knowing about it or that he authorized it, how do i know that isnt already the smoking gun? and it wont be triggered via download from PWE for fear that these dismissed claims could be right. while that data could contain any type of information, right now thats just one claim you should look into and prove yet.

there is other issue that big companies do not have to tell their customers anything let alone deal with individual cases and they can change or alter anything they like as its in their agreement that the customer agreed to (so how can i know for certain this is the truth and not some mumbo jumbo with another agenda for later?), now as far as i am concerned i have already been lied to by the leadership of my country so i am a lot more skeptical then i used to be.

while you written your comment well, i still remain unconvinced about ARC and if someone with clout from PWE can come on here and say with certainty it its the truth, that 'may' be enough to relax my fear of this software.

now i dont care to know about this anonymity TRIBBLE, if was invited to PWE offices in california and the flight expenses were paid for as is a 1 day hotel, then i would come down and you can tell it to my face (not being rude) in your offices, even show me how ARC works after signing a NDA probably.

now this issue with you not installing arc then saying i have no clue... hmm. cant ask questions on it you dont know of, so that ends that line of thought.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Why can't they? Akamai and Pando does it all the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
    edited January 2014
    hanover2 wrote: »
    It would be nice if paying customers didn't have to play detective about TRIBBLE like this. Be fully transparent. State for the record in clear, specific, unambiguous terms that none of the things we are worried about are now or ever will be part of Arc.

No one is asking for the customer to play detective. When one makes an accusation they do have to have proof because the person who is accused cannot prove a negative. They said they did not do it and until proof is given they are innocent.

How would you feel if a cop gave you a speeding ticket and then tells you to prove to him that you weren't. Well fortunately the cop needs proof before fines can be laid. That is innocent until proven guilty.

They have made clear statements. That clearly said that arc has no torrent ability. They clearly said they are investigating reports on malware apps flagging their browser plugins. They clearly stated there is an opt out function on usage data.
  • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Brandon was being transparent in post 302 about someone's concerns and Deztravus has been monitoring the thread for ARC bug reports, I'd say that's a start, but there needs to be more to set people's minds completely at ease
    edited January 2014
    robdmc wrote: »
    No one is asking for the customer to play detective. When one makes an accusation they do have to have proof because the person who is accused cannot prove a negative. They said they did not do it and until proof is given they are innocent.

How would you feel if a cop gave you a speeding ticket and then tells you to prove to him that you weren't. Well fortunately the cop needs proof before fines can be laid. That is innocent until proven guilty.

They have made clear statements. That clearly said that arc has no torrent ability. They clearly said they are investigating reports on malware apps flagging their browser plugins. They clearly stated there is an opt out function on usage data.

No it doesn't have torrent ability, it is just a peer to peer on demand sharing software. Oh wait, nevermind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • solidshatnersolidshatner Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Can someone please direct me to the information that states that I will be forced to use Arc in order to play STO? Additionally, can someone please provide me with an ETA if true?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    It makes me feel like STO is simply in maintenance mode until Arc is done.

No Devs who work STO content, bugs, art, QA, etc., etc., etc. are working on developing Arc. STO is light years from being in maintenance mode -- that should be evidenced by everything we did in 2013, and everything you'll see us do in 2014.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

The problem is that I DONT WANT ANYONE collecting any information from me without my permission, this is the point you all are missing, MY FREAKING PERMJISSION, ARC is TRIBBLE my computer and I refuse to accept that. Don't you all get it? It is my computer is not Cryptic's or PWE's. They didn't pay for it, I did, and as owner of my PC I decide what I allow or what I don't allow on it.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Can someone please direct me to the information that states that I will be forced to use Arc in order to play STO? Additionally, can someone please provide me with an ETA if true?

There is no ETA yet that I've seen, it's just "coming soon"
    edited January 2014

Knowing game developers, they force it through despite all negative comments on it. Chances are, it will be forced.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    robdmc wrote: »

That is also a dishonest analogy. In this case, the "cop" is a private security officer from an overseas location that is in no way accountable to you, demanding you hand over your wallet and the keys to your house, and refusing to tell you exactly what he's going to do there.
    That clearly said that arc has no torrent ability.

Which could mean it has a similar function but isn't called a torrent. They could dispel that one by detailing exactly why it needs to scan every available drive on my machine, and exactly what it's doing when it initiates outside communication, and stating in absolute terms that absolutely all file patching is hosted on their servers.
    They clearly said they are investigating reports on malware apps flagging their browser plugins.

Now lets hear a statement promising it won't force browser plugins on me at all, and not just refining them to sneak past anti-spyware programs.
    They clearly stated there is an opt out function on usage data.

Now lets hear what they do and do not qualify as usage data, and what "not usage data" stuff they are mining and reporting.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    mewi wrote: »
    No it doesn't have torrent ability, it is just a peer to peer on demand sharing software. Oh wait, nevermind.

There is no torrent/ peer to peer on demand sharing. We've communicated this many times.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Again I don't want anyone mining any data from my PC without my explicit approval. Now if PWE wants to be so nice and buy me a top gaming rig then you are welcome to mine away.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
    edited January 2014
    There is no torrent/ peer to peer on demand sharing. We've communicated this many times.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Then maybe you can explain why it functions as it does.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    I can almost picture an image of a computer nerd sweating at his computer while some corporate goon hovers over him.
    I was almost willing to soften my position on it until I found it trying to install pluggins in my browsers, that was a Watergate moment for me, there is absolutely no way they can spin positive on that one.

I agree completely with this.

DStahl, BranFlakes, Tacofangs, Gorgonzola, all of you devs--I do not hate you. I love you guys. I hate your miserable no-good skinflint unethical Scrooge of a boss at PWE, but I bear no ill will against you guys.

Also, the spyware warnings? Warranted or not, they TRIBBLE me off.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mewi wrote: »
    Then maybe you can explain why it functions as it does.

What exactly does it do? Can you explain?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    That is also a dishonest analogy. In this case, the "cop" is a private security officer from an overseas location that is in no way accountable to you, demanding you hand over your wallet and the keys to your house, and refusing to tell you exactly what he's going to do there.

How is this a Dishonest analogy. They are not forcing you to play their game. They are not forcing you to install arc. They have made it clear that steam is also an option.

People have clearly on this forum said they are doing this. I have not seen a single people have a shred of proof presented that they are doing it. To demand proof they they are not doing it is completely unfair. All they can do is say that they are not doing it.

If you have proof then post it. Otherwise it is defamation.
This discussion has been closed.