What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Arcgames.com is Ready for your Feedback

Comments

• Options
    doalxkdoalxk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well at least I'm safe from Arc for now regardless. Though not a great sign if it becomes mandatory.

"Arc is not supported on your device."

Good to see windows 7 64 bit isn't "supported" now lol. I'm hoping that its just that the big blue button is broken.

rzxj2oou7
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    All PWE games in one easy to use launcher. Kind of like Steam. I like it!
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Ok, so I have been doing some testing with this new Arc version.

Using the tools provided, I can see that this new version still scans all attached hard drives, but does not (from what I can tell with monitoring) send any information outside my virtual machine.
    Whether it masks the data somehow, I don't know....

It is also important to note that is still does this despite not allowing permission to do so. Why Arc still needs to scan hard drives that have nothing to so with the directory it is installed into, is beyond me....

Make you own minds up, but this program will still never be put onto any of my gaming computers, period.

Arc scans the hard drives to find any PWE game you already have installed.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    farmallm wrote: »
    Many fussed over it, and they finally told you must do it. Or no longer play. During the month to swap over to get it. They was giving away items on the game to show you did it during that month.
    I am afraid this wil happen here too.

There will be giveaways and other things.
    Personally i don't care. Heck they could even rework all Starfleet ships to make them as they where on TV.

I would even expect them to release a reworked Galaxy, just to keep fans playing, lol.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Cryptic doesn't care about whether or not we want Arc. They are looking for feeback on how Arc and the website are working.

Keep in mind PWE is pushing Arc on us whether we like it or not. Our complaints should be directed at PWE and not Cryptic, since Cryptic is owned by PWE and has no choice in the matter. I imagine there are at least some at Cryptic that don't want to force Arc on us but there isn't anything that they can do about it.

Unfortunately Cryptic isn't getting the feeback they need. They are getting the feedback PWE deserves.

I echo what others have said: Do not want!

But I am willing to give this garbage a try because I love this game and have faith in Cryptic (I could care less about PWE). If it turns out to be too troublesome and/or tedious to use, I'll probably just move on to something else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I like to add my voice to the chorus that I don't want ARC. In fact, to me this is STO's NGE moment.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hanover2 wrote: »
    Cue the "forum users do not represent the majority of players" schtick.

Might be time to start clueing people in about this in Zone chat or something. They may be counting on people not noticing this being forced on them until it's too late...

It's called 'word of mouth'. It may be true that only a small amount of the total number of players actually use the forums, but news travels fast. Those who read something here will go in game and tell players about it. Eventually most players in game will find out about it, and as such, the sentiment will spread for or against it.
  • Options
    solidshatnersolidshatner Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I also do NOT want Arc.

I'm not going to get all nerd raged about it, but I would like to explain why:

The only thing I trust is STEAM as it has a long standing history/branding and offers me great value and selection as a gaming consumer. I can get games like Fallout New Vegas for $2.49 during their Holiday Sale or Borderlands 2 for $9.99 or Left For Dead 2 for FREE!!! I see ZERO such offers on POPULAR games like this through Arc. Hell, Steam is even proto-typing a console as we speak.

Now having said this - my STO account is NOT linked to Steam because I don't WANT it to be. Plain and simple. I have different contacts on Steam and the Steam Client is not without its faults. When I play STO, I want to do it the way I've been doing it since I got my origninal Gold Membership at launch. I have my friends list all set up in game and honestly have no interest in other PWE products ATM.

Trek is pretty cult-ish. If I like my Klingon Disruptors, I'm probably not going to give a TRIBBLE about friggin Elves and Swords of Super Awesomeness Plus 5 or whatever. I dont CARE about Neverwinter, Champions or (whatever the heck) Fortuna (is?).

Please don't misunderstand me as being a person who is afraid of change as I am not. I just have no interest in this Arc stuff in any way whatsoever. I DO have one question:

Will I have the CHOICE to continue to launch the game as I always have?

This is what I want, and I'm getting the impression from this thread that this is being taken away from me. If it is, I will have to discontinue my relationship with this game on principle. A lot of good work has been done with STO, but I can easily play other games instead. If I need a Trek Fix, its no problem for me to boot up Armada II or Bridge Commander to pass the time. Additionally - you have an OVERWHELMING response from others not to have Arc. Sure some of the posts are emotional without a specific reason for you to work with - however, to ignore whats coming out on this thread is not only foolish, but would justify my consumer decision should Arc be forced on me. And to be honest (looking back at the posts) - you have responded to a few tech issues, but it really looks like you ARE ignoring the overwhelming amounts of "no thank you's".

Looking forward to a response.

Kind Regards,

SolidShatner
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crownvic2doorcrownvic2door Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I came in to just say that I DO NOT WANT! And I'm running win7x63ult ...lol

Its funny that the devs and mods are completely ignoring any feedback that says we DO NOT WANT THIS. STO is the ONLY game from them that I play, ARC will NOT change this. And MANY here will agree with what I have to say!

I will not elaborate on why we dont want this as that is already clear.
    Focus on making the game itself better and not this garbage.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I came in to just say that I DO NOT WANT! And I'm running win7x63ult ...lol

Its funny that the devs and mods are completely ignoring any feedback that says we DO NOT WANT THIS. STO is the ONLY game from them that I play, ARC will NOT change this. And MANY here will agree with what I have to say!

I will not elaborate on why we dont want this as that is already clear.
    Focus on making the game itself better and not this garbage.

Same except instead of me keeping arc installed since I was forced to get it when i had to reinstall that I am going to give them about a week to put the regular client back up to download without having to get arc or it'll just force me to just play other games and uninstall arc which is giving me a headache when Im trying to use chrome.
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ive been using Arc since the first day it was available (admittedly for the bonuses mentioned or something to that effect.. its been a while and as of yet no such thing). I find no advantage to this portal, the page itself is always delayed versus the sto main page, slower to load and I already have steam.. not sure why Im using it anymore.... Other than being advertised to for unrelated games etc. on a slower medium at that, what is the point?

update: I just updated to the new version.... it loads even slower than before... arc itself not the game 3-4 times as long as the prior version.. great....
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    PWE's Privacy Policy is interesting.
    Perfect World has been awarded TRUSTe?s Privacy Seal signifying that this privacy policy and practices have been reviewed by TRUSTe for compliance with TRUSTe?s program requirements including transparency, accountability and choice regarding the collection and use of your personal information. TRUSTe?s Program covers only the information collected through this Website and does not cover information that may be collected through downloadable software. TRUSTe?s mission, as an independent third party, is to accelerate online trust among consumers and organizations globally through its leading privacy trustmark and innovative trust solutions.

Can somebody in California make a request?

Your California rights

Under California law, users who are California residents are entitled to request and obtain annually information about the personal information we have shared, if any, with other businesses for their own direct marketing during the prior calendar year. Alternatively, the law provides that if we have a privacy policy that either allows you to opt-out or opt-in to the use of your personal information by third parties for marketing purposes, we may instead provide you with information on how to exercise your disclosure choice options. We follow this alternative, as we do not share your personal information with third parties for marketing purposes unless you opt-in to such sharing at the point at which such information is collected.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    They should just have the option for any game to use arc or to use the client since most people just stick to one game to play. Especially the way PWE has these games setup to be quite good/maintain grinds you can only really play one game so they should give the option instead of forcing you which to many countries and conus statewide it seems to fall under legal issues where it may not be legal.

They keep sending mods in here to say don't scare people well we are just speaking truthfully that this does unwanted things and based on the bugs and glitches as well as the corrupted files in patches each week I wouldn't dare trust any plugins or other files that are scanning all of my PC lol. They must be on something.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Obvious PWE shill is obvious.

Reasons 1-4 why you shouldn't use Arc.

Reason #5.

Reason #6, and this has been confirmed with the most recent version of Arc.

If the question is Arc, the answer is "TRIBBLE off."
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    starke1701 wrote: »
    Just install on steam. It'll prompt you to create a new account, but you can just ignore that. When it asks you to log in, you log in.

About the only awkward part is downloading the entire game again. It used to be possible to circumvent that by moving the other install folder over, but I don't know if that's still true.

just tried it out, didnt work. copied all 23gb of stuff from folder to folder, triggered the steam install, gone through 2 launcher updates and now going through 12gb of download...
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Obvious PWE shill is obvious.

Quoted For Truth.
    If the question is Arc, the answer is "TRIBBLE off."

And that's the "primetime radio friendly" version. :D
  • Options
    jslatersjslaters Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm not for or against it. but I have steam and that's how I run sto and buy zen through. I do remember that when steam started and with blizzard that there was bugs in it when it started. So give them time to work it out. I just hope it not a resource hog on any pc. I for one don't have a powerful one my self. I want sto to continue to grow. After all its a business and they need to do what they need to grow.
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    :D TORCHES! PITCHFORKS! GET 'EM HERE! ONLY 5 ZEN EACH! Line forms to the right folks... no shoving I SAID NO SHOVING sheesh. :mad:
  • Options
    mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    themarie wrote: »
    :D TORCHES! PITCHFORKS! GET 'EM HERE! ONLY 5 ZEN EACH! Line forms to the right folks... no shoving I SAID NO SHOVING sheesh. :mad:

Can I push the ARC display over there in the corner?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • Options
    noshufflenoshuffle Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    38 pages with mostly the same message : "NO". If Cryptic/PWE didn't get it already, then they must be deaf or in this case, blind.
    OK, if I have to stay here for a while, your cieling ... looks idious.:D
  • Options
    michaelp1989michaelp1989 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Do not want this arc! :mad:
    If feedback will be ignored and this is going to be mandatory anyway please just reveal date of launch of this spyware so that I will know how much time I have to play before uninstall.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Do not want this arc! :mad:
    If feedback will be ignored and this is going to be mandatory anyway please just reveal date of launch of this spyware so that I will know how much time I have to play before uninstall.

I second this. Not interested in Arc, I'm not sticking around after they deplay it on us, and having a date for that deployment would be much appreciated.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I wonder if there is anywhere I can still get the regular launcher without having to have arc now heh.

It started as an annoyance now its getting out of control how much information its trying to collect.
  • Options
    chakittychakitty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    PWE is doing just like Yahoo's been doing. Both are making drastic changes to how things look and work. A lot of users are saying "H**L NO! We don't want this!" And guess what? Both are saying to their users "F**k you! We're doing this if you like it or not." Thus I also desire a date where we have to change to Arc or stop playing, as I will be one of those that stops playing. Wonder what they'll think when 20% of the player-base over all their games disappears along with their money due to this. Then again, they'll probably think they need to do even more self-destructive things.
  • Options
    mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    teluas wrote: »
    unfortunately, no... when I get the "blocked" screen, it just says its not allowed, no explanation why. sorry!

Depending upon what web filtering software was being used, it could be blocked for any number of things. Corporations do tend to block access to "Game" sites as well as TRIBBLE. There can also be 100 different reasons why it is blocked. That doesn't mean the site is bad, just that your employer has rules setup that the web page matches and thus blocks.

I happen to be an systems admin for my company and while we are very relaxed about web filter, there are limits such as 1 hour/day total for any social media sites (that is 1 hour total not 1 hour for each site).
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • Options
    minerva8minerva8 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Simple Answer to Arc, NO
  • Options
    mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    For those that say it installs or at least tries to install "something" into Chrome, is it an extension? I have nothing installed in Chrome (v32.0.1700.72 m).

I am just trying to understand where some people are saying it installs stuff in Chrome when Arc clearly did not do so on my system.

Now, I do have an add-on in IE11 for Arc but it remains disabled by default.
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    lexusk19 wrote: »
    My Feedback... DO NOT WANT!

Ditto.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Guys, it is a stupid program that has no real benefit but this isn't what this thread is for.

They want our feedback on its functionality. Not whether you like it.

Edit: Remember the way they work. They will raise their arms and say "don't ever ask them for feedback because this is what happens". So please try to not have that happen
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
This discussion has been closed.