test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Faces in the Flames (The Chase, Season 2) Fanfic.

Comments

• Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Five against six?
    yyyyeah, he's ****ed.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Congratulations, Mr. Unpronounceable Undine. You have just begun to experience a Charlie Foxtrot.

Can't wait to see how this finishes!
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Congratulations, Mr. Unpronounceable Undine. You have just begun to experience a Charlie Foxtrot.

Can't wait to see how this finishes!

Q as in "Quail," pronounced with a caricatured Australian accent.

' indicates not a glottal stop as it does in tlhIngan Hol or Hawai'ian, but rather a vowel sound too complex for the Latin alphabet, as it does in the Pentaxian language. In this case, it is a whistling tone in F-sharp, or the first note as you whistle the chorus to the song "Yankee Doodle"

le is pronounced like the English word "Lay."

A semi-interesting sidenote on the subject of language:

Speakers of Sanskrit-derived languages or any who are familiar with Indian religious texts (Indian as in from the Indian subcontinent) should recognize the first verse of the bonus track "Navras" by Juno Reactor as being taken from the Bṛhadāraṇyaka Upaniṣad text.

The first line asato mā sad gamaya translates literally as "From the unreal, lead me to the real." Heaven and Nature, reflected in the title and the intro track.

I thought that was too cool not to point out. :cool:
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    What are these 'Charlie Foxtrots' you keep mentioning? Some kind of measurement of bad situations? :confused:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    dalolorn wrote: »
    What are these 'Charlie Foxtrots' you keep mentioning? Some kind of measurement of bad situations? :confused:

"Charlie Foxtrot" is a nice way of saying clusterf*ck.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Interesting...I had been pronouncing the name according to Modern Standard Arabic conventions (qaf, alif), treating "qaf" in this case as a quasi-vowel. But then again I listen to a good bit of Middle Eastern music, so that's what my mind went to. ;)

It seems Alyosha would still be able to pronounce it according to your description as long as the frequency isn't really extreme. One thing I have wondered: in the series we never saw the Undine speak aloud when in their natural form--but obviously in the game, we have, or at least it is implied it's speech, since telepathic contacts typically incapacitate the recipient temporarily. What is the nature of the Undine vocal apparatus?

As a note to readers least as I see it, the apostrophe also denotes a glottal stop in Cardassian, meaning the names "Sa'kat" and "Va'Kust" should be pronounced accordingly.

That same piece of the Upanishads should also be familiar to fans of Battlestar Galactica...you hear it in the Miniseries. Coincidentally, the Miniseries and Matrix Revolutions aired a month apart.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    dalolorn wrote: »

A badly overused joke.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    So, the end of Episode 10! Thoughts?

("Ratings comments" need not apply.)

• Options
    edited July 2014

I think that that hit the "GTFOOHTUIABLBTWMASO" class of Charlie Foxtrot, and then was resolved in one truly epic finish.

Now I MUST find that Neandertal's origin story.

I sure hope that Luus and Ngoc survived that FUBAR.

And I REALLY hope that UndineQuinn is going to die soon, preferably painfully.
  • Options
    blackblackwyrmblackblackwyrm Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Learned a new word today. Monobloc. I have no idea in which context it is meant. It would be funny if it were a lawn chair exploding, but I doubt that was what you were going for. ;)

I have to say that Cal seems like he's matured a lot. He always struck me as one of those creepy kids who would start to take things apart to see how the pieces fit together and leaving an awful mess behind. as for the chapter, hard to say. I'm used to taking a novel or a book and reading the whole thing in just a few sittings, to get the whole narrative strait in my head. It's been a little scattered with this story. I might have to compile the whole thing and the side stories, reread it, and then give my opinion. I will say that I am impressed with the dedication here. It's like when the Forgotten Realms was first being compiled by Ed Greenwood and the rest of his contributors.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,382 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Learned a new word today. Monobloc. I have no idea in which context it is meant.
    In astrophysics, the "monobloc" refers to the unitary state of the universe prior to the Big Bang. so, as you can see, it's quite accurately used here. (Bangs don't come much Bigger than the ones Schrodi arranges! :) )
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    While I can't give spoilers, I can assure you that the Quinndine will not be forgotten. He has already started giving me ideas, and I don't think I'm the only one in the group he's gotten to... :D

Personally I would hope to see these stories as an ebook. Losing them should something happen to the forum would be VERY bad. That's what I would want done, anyway.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Personally I'm rather hoping that, since the original Quinn is probably long gone, the Quinndine decides to go native and switch sides. Watching him working against his former Masters, especially in the first days when they don't know yet he's no longer theirs, would I think be very interesting.

And now that you mention the idea, I am tempted to go ahead and collate the existing stories into at least an OpenOffice file. I've got the hard-drive space...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I have to say that Cal seems like he's matured a lot. He always struck me as one of those creepy kids who would start to take things apart to see how the pieces fit together and leaving an awful mess behind.
    Among engineers that is considered to be perfectly normal behavior. ;)

In "present day" 2412, Cal is fourteen years old, but since Gorn mature more slowly than Humans, he's about the equivalent of a Human 10-year-old. That look at eight years out puts him closer to Sway's age, a near-adult, so it stands to reason he should be more mature. I'll bet he still takes things apart, though...

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I just posted up a bit of Krispen's backstory in an LC Redux thread in case anybody's interested.

After posting I realized I could've just easily worked into the current LC under prompt #2 but whatever.

- Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Well, THIS could certainly end in chaos.

Gardiner can spend a few decades behind bars, yay! And the former Cadet Redshirt (seriously, the Schlock reference had me cracking up) has to deal with THAT mess, which is less yay...

What a finish.

Edit to add: And Gardiner should feel very lucky that he's not on Three's ship. If he were, she'd have killed him on the spot in an excruciatingly painful fashion.

Because she's weird that way.
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Best. Entry. Yet :cool:

PS <3 Kasella Veska <3
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Had that been the CDF, Gardiner would be tried and executed...likely since this was after end of hostilities, as a very *public* example of what Cardassia will no longer tolerate in its soldiers.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    Had that been the CDF, Gardiner would be tried and executed...likely since this was after end of hostilities, as a very *public* example of what Cardassia will no longer tolerate in its soldiers.

KDF would probably execute him, too; depends on the captain.

The Republic would put him on trial, although if that were the Kholhr, he would at the very least get beaten up pretty badly first.

Dominion...who knows what the Dominion would do. Nothing pretty, that's for sure.

Heh. That might actually be fun to see.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    I suspect he's looking at the better part of life in a Federation stockade... Any one of those charges by themselves would carry a heavy sentence...
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I suspect he's looking at the better part of life in a Federation stockade... Any one of those charges by themselves would carry a heavy sentence...
    Please. This is the enlightened Roddenberryesque future. We no longer use "prisons" or "stockades".

We call them "rehabilitation colonies" now. ;)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Please. This is the enlightened Roddenberryesque future. We no longer use "prisons" or "stockades".

We call them "rehabilitation colonies" now. ;)
    ;) Ro was put in the stockade (for reasons never made clear) where Paris was sent to New Zealand ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    So...thoughts? The guns are silent, but there is still a lot of great character stuff from all the authors to be had, IMO...

• Options
    edited August 2014
    This is - believe it or not - the end of this story.

Sorta.

We still have some exitlude and epilogue scenes to post, to tie off the loose ends and set up what happens next.

This story is moving in parallel with concurrent events in "A Property Line Dispute" (wrapping soon) and "Honor Among Thieves" (working on that, promise!) As these stories come to a close, they are going to leave a lot of unanswered questions as to what's going to happen in the Moab System, the Pentaxian government, and in the leadership of the Federation itself (surely you don't think Quinn is the only Undine in da house, do you? ;) ) We've also got some things to deal with RE: Artificial Intelligence, Mirror (Evil?) Schrodi, Denali's response to everything that's happened, and some in-game events that "haven't happened yet" in our timeline (turning on the Iconian Gateway under New Romulus and discovering a Dyson Sphere full of dinosaurs, for starters. It's not our fault - we started this story BEFORE season 8 came out. And don't get me started on Season 9...)

All this to say, we've got plenty more to write, and we're not even quite done here yet. Stay Tooned!

- Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    On my end, you will see some dealing with the artificial intelligence matter, and also some of the goings-on in the 77th Fleet and what their next moves will be.