test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Voyager must've been really unpopular...

12346»

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When it comes to humanoid remains i.E. (species of genus Homo) your "Mountain" of proof fits in a suitcase ... and pretty much all of these findings are only single bones or fragments, meaning all we can basically do is TRY to reconstruct these life-forms the right way...

Hate to break it to you , but neither Archeology nor Paleontology is an exact science ... most of it is only theories (even if those theories sound plausible at the time, lots of them were already proven wrong)

Moreover there are probably millions of species who never left any fossils or we just haven't found them (yet), being the "Voth" one of these species, wouldn't be completely impossible ... and even if they would find single fossilized bones of some Voth, reconstruction of these, is a different matter (maybe some hypothetical ST Paleontologist found some [proto-]Voth fossils, and thought it's just another baby Hadrosaur i.E.) ... like others have said, of course fossilization would happen, but it doesn't necessarily happen to EVERY species who ever walked the Earth ... otherwise we wouldn't have "missing links" in our own lineage ...
    Yes, I once tried to estimate the percentage of fossil bearing rocks that have been examined by paleontologists.... Didn't work, but the main conclusion is that only a small fraction of rocks that might have fossils have been looked at... Some of what we HAVE found makes no sense to paleontologists!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mirrorshatnermirrorshatner Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Sadly, the crew made the terrible, terrible mistake of listening to Neelix. That's bad enough in itself, but it's made worse that in this instance (namely Neelix pretending to have surivial skills that didn't actually exist), said mistake cost Hogan his life.

Neelix is the worst character in Star Trek ever. He is Star Trek's equivalent to Jar Jar.
    And that is a good example of the plot in the Voth Voyager episode. A 600 million year old fossilized humanoid footprints getting dismissed and discredited because current accepted DOCTRINE says they can't possibly exist.

Note to self: Never mention politics or religion

That's actually realistic. A passing familiarity with the news can tell you that opposing political parties rigidly adhere to their own doctrine with no middle ground - and that's within a single country.

Religions (any of them) have their own doctrine which is not up for debate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Sadly, the crew made the terrible, terrible mistake of listening to Neelix. That's bad enough in itself, but it's made worse that in this instance (namely Neelix pretending to have surivial skills that didn't actually exist), said mistake cost Hogan his life.

The stupid part is, this wasn't even the first time he endangered the crew through his own utter bollocking incompetence. Just off the top of my head, he nearly destroyed Voyager with his cooking back in season one.

I don't care what Starfleet regulations say. If he'd tried that on the Andraste, I'd have shot him in the face and used his corpse for replicator mass.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I just found the distance theory really stupid. Dinosaurs in space is not something that requires explanation. Dinosaurs in space. Come on. That's all you need to know.

Yeah it was too Saturday morning cartoon. Voyager had a few episodes that were just over the top campy like that. The one where they meet Amelia Earhart comes to mind.

FYI the Voth are in 3 episodes I believe. Dinosaurs in space in just silly.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah it was too Saturday morning cartoon. Voyager had a few episodes that were just over the top campy like that. The one where they meet Amelia Earhart comes to mind.

FYI the Voth are in 3 episodes I believe. Dinosaurs in space in just silly.

The Amelia Earhart episode wasn't that stupid. Corny, but TOS had Space Lincoln. :rolleyes:
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Amelia Earhart episode wasn't that stupid. Corny, but TOS had Space Lincoln. :rolleyes:

I think lincolninspace knows that.

It's... quite ironic though.
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't think I said anywhere that fossils don't happen. I even made reference to fossils in that post that you're replying to.

So, yeah, while you're denying building strawmen, you're building them up in great number.
    I don't want to do this back and forth reply junk. I disagree with whole premise that "it's TOTALLY possible for dinosaurs to have had advanced technology, and BTW, there'd be no evidence of it today because the Discovery Channel video proved it". It's total nonsense because everything I suggested as an example of preserving evidence of life from the past can and will happen again. Fibers, imprints, bones, jewelry, glass or plastic containers with contents, etc. etc. etc. - there's a chance that any or all of those at some point are going to get caught in any number of natural preservation "traps" and be unearthed naturally. Re: Dinosaur footprints. Re: Amber. Re: Ice.

Furthermore, the biological evidence we have of dinosaur bone and brain structures demonstrate that they were incapable of grasping objects and concepts which would allow for them to have anything that could even propel them to the Bronze Age, never mind the Space Age.

Strawman?

The fact you're trying to convince me that a fake race of dino-sheep decedents could be existing right now using a video of a show using fake footage from a future that hasn't even happened yet makes your accusation just a mountain of "Pot-Kettle-Black."

:rolleyes:
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This thread is quite interesting. Could dinosaurs exist in space and what does that mean to our extinct friends at the Natural Science Museum? It does seem that cryptic has jumped the shark a bit with the Voth. Or perhaps they have "Mechanized the T.rex" if you would allow such a phrase. I would like to offer a few points of clarification, as for some reason there seems to be a lot of confusion about evolutionary theory and its evolution.

Hindsight is 50/50

First though, lets talk about the Voth's evolution in game. Some commenters are offering that the Voth's inclusion is related to cryptic's poll for more Voyager content. But the first promo spire pictures were released before the first poll that decided that there would be more Voyager content. Hence why the Voth were not included in this poll either:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=835111

So I suppose the Voyager rage will have to continue through season 9, as the Voth are just the tip of the iceberg.

Religion, Science and History

The term missing link is being thrown around rather sloppily in this thread. Most contemporary Anthropologists and Archaeologists don't use the term, because it is a term created by creationists to problematize evolution. There are plenty of links in the fossil record, and most scientists don't see the gaps in the record as problematic, because of many of the points that were made about the rarity of fossils. But another reason is because the pivotal fossils show what a "missing link" is suppose to show, a transition in a series of undocumented transitions.

That being said, if there had been humanoid dinosaurs regardless of whether or not they had fossils, we would suspect that they would have at some point struck coins or jewelry or carved hieroglyphs into stones. And although it has been 65 million years, we could reasonably hypothesize that something like that could survive. However, with our scientific bias, we would likely assume those things were created by humans (though they could come from other humanoids like neanderthals, or less likely ancient aliens). Also non carbon material like stones and metals can't properly be carbon dated, so we couldn't identify with any certainty when they came from anyway.

Also to say a raptor is more likely to evolve into a huminoid makes little sense also. Evolution is not in one direction, it can be what some people mistakenly refer to as "devolution" as well. Although social Darwinists like Herbert Spencer speculated "survival of the fittest," most scientists see evolution as simply change that is neither building towards nor away from anything.

Lets assume that our developers were not pandering to the lowest common denominator and cared about modern scientific theory. Wouldn't it be great if lazer rex had a plume of feathers, after all modern paleontologists think that they might have. Of course the Voth were created with 10 year old theories that had dinosaurs looking more like lizards, but modern speculation has them looking more like chickens.

"Missing Links"

One writer has offered that faith has points that cannot be debated. I am not sure what is meant by this. Isn't theology the rationalization of faith? One thing that is brilliant about the Voth is that they point out the similarity of doctrinal science and doctrinal religion. Neither are static, because both are constantly being reinterpreted in light of the most recent evidence or trends of human thinking. Shouldn't our science fiction also take such trends into consideration?

One last point I couldn't figure out:
    icsairguns wrote: »
    the name of what was a newly discovered particle that traveled faster than light?

and where were those names taken from?

I think icsairguns is talking about neutrinos, but that term was not coined by Star Trek. From our friend Wikipedia:

"Enrico Fermi, who developed the theory of beta decay, coined the term neutrino (the Italian equivalent of "little neutral one") in 1933 as a way to resolve the confusion."

Also the idea that neutrinos travel faster than light has largely been debunked by the scientific community (Although I suppose that could change as well)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,430 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Perhaps he/she meant tachyons? If so, he/she still fails basic research. To quote the article on Wikipedia:
    In the 1967 paper that coined the term,[1] Feinberg proposed that tachyonic particles could be quanta of a quantum field with negative squared mass. However, it was soon realized that excitations of such imaginary mass fields do not in fact propagate faster than light,[4] and instead represent an instability known as tachyon condensation.[2] Nevertheless, negative squared mass fields are commonly referred to as "tachyons",[5] and in fact have come to play an important role in modern physics.

Despite theoretical arguments against the existence of faster-than-light particles, experiments have been conducted to search for them. No compelling evidence for their existence has been found.[6]
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited October 2013
    kain9prime wrote: »
    I don't want to do this back and forth reply junk. I disagree with whole premise that "it's TOTALLY possible for dinosaurs to have had advanced technology, and BTW, there'd be no evidence of it today because the Discovery Channel video proved it". It's total nonsense because everything I suggested as an example of preserving evidence of life from the past can and will happen again. Fibers, imprints, bones, jewelry, glass or plastic containers with contents, etc. etc. etc. - there's a chance that any or all of those at some point are going to get caught in any number of natural preservation "traps" and be unearthed naturally. Re: Dinosaur footprints. Re: Amber. Re: Ice.

Furthermore, the biological evidence we have of dinosaur bone and brain structures demonstrate that they were incapable of grasping objects and concepts which would allow for them to have anything that could even propel them to the Bronze Age, never mind the Space Age.

Strawman?

The fact you're trying to convince me that a fake race of dino-sheep decedents could be existing right now using a video of a show using fake footage from a future that hasn't even happened yet makes your accusation just a mountain of "Pot-Kettle-Black."

:rolleyes:

All right, here we go, on to the anomalous artifacts and fossils that get shoveled into the crackpot area.

The Coso Artifact - California, 1961, a geode estimated to be 500,000 years old is found containing a mysterious metallic device including a spring-like structure at one end like a spark plug.

Ancient sandaled footprint - Utah, 1968, a rock estimated to be 500 million years old from the Cambrian period is found to possess an imprint that resembles a footprint wearing a sandal.

Wolfsegg Iron - Austria, 1885, a coal deposit 20 million years old yields a mysterious metallic object.

Metallic tubes - France, 1968, semi-ovoid metallic tubes are found buried in a vein of 65-million year old Cretaceous chalk.

Ancient human footprint - New Mexico, 1983, a human footprint is found in fossilized mud estimated to be 290 million years old.

Ancient springs, screws, and metal - Russia, 1990s, various components unmistakable for springs, screws and so forth were found to be buried in layers of rock from the Pleistocene era.

Ancient metal rod - China, a black, hard rock estimated to be millions of years old is found with a peculiar metal rod inside it.

The Williams Enigmalith - 1998, in an otherwise unremarkable rock, is imbedded what is obviously a power plug. The rock itself is estimated to be 100 thousand years old.

Aiud aluminum artifact - Romania, 1974, an object of pure aluminum, clearly manufactured, is found near a river beside mastodon bones. If the same age as the bones, it would make this object at least 11,000 years old.

Fossilized hammer - Texas, 1936, a modern hammer is found fossilized in limestone rock which estimated to be 110 million years old.

Coal skull - Pennsylvania, 1981, an anthropoid skull is found buried in a coal vein dated to be 280 million years old.

Reck's skeleton - Africa, 1913, a fossilized humanoid skeleton is found and carbon dated to be 1.15 million years old.

Granted, there's probably real explanations for these Out of Place Artifacts (OOPArt), but they make great inspiration for science fiction material... like Star Trek. You wanted fossilized remains of Voth civilization? Here they are, the right stuff for the job for a science fiction universe.
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ^ Ummm...golf clap?
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    All right, here we go, on to the anomalous artifacts and fossils that get shoveled into the crackpot area.

The Coso Artifact - California, 1961, a geode estimated to be 500,000 years old is found containing a mysterious metallic device including a spring-like structure at one end like a spark plug.

Ancient sandaled footprint - Utah, 1968, a rock estimated to be 500 million years old from the Cambrian period is found to possess an imprint that resembles a footprint wearing a sandal.

Wolfsegg Iron - Austria, 1885, a coal deposit 20 million years old yields a mysterious metallic object.

Metallic tubes - France, 1968, semi-ovoid metallic tubes are found buried in a vein of 65-million year old Cretaceous chalk.

Ancient human footprint - New Mexico, 1983, a human footprint is found in fossilized mud estimated to be 290 million years old.

Ancient springs, screws, and metal - Russia, 1990s, various components unmistakable for springs, screws and so forth were found to be buried in layers of rock from the Pleistocene era.

Ancient metal rod - China, a black, hard rock estimated to be millions of years old is found with a peculiar metal rod inside it.

The Williams Enigmalith - 1998, in an otherwise unremarkable rock, is imbedded what is obviously a power plug. The rock itself is estimated to be 100 thousand years old.

Aiud aluminum artifact - Romania, 1974, an object of pure aluminum, clearly manufactured, is found near a river beside mastodon bones. If the same age as the bones, it would make this object at least 11,000 years old.

Fossilized hammer - Texas, 1936, a modern hammer is found fossilized in limestone rock which estimated to be 110 million years old.

Coal skull - Pennsylvania, 1981, an anthropoid skull is found buried in a coal vein dated to be 280 million years old.

Reck's skeleton - Africa, 1913, a fossilized humanoid skeleton is found and carbon dated to be 1.15 million years old.

Granted, there's probably real explanations for these Out of Place Artifacts (OOPArt), but they make great inspiration for science fiction material... like Star Trek. You wanted fossilized remains of Voth civilization? Here they are, the right stuff for the job for a science fiction universe.

Most of these can be explained away by humans love to pull pranks on other humans. Or there are certain natural processes that can make it seem like a modern instrument is covered in rock millions of years old.
    edited October 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Most of these can be explained away by humans love to pull pranks on other humans. Or there are certain natural processes that can make it seem like a modern instrument is covered in rock millions of years old.

That's not the point. No brownies for you.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That's not the point. No brownies for you.

this comes to mind
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Those footprints are obviously left over from the time the Doctor and Romana went back in time to make sure the Jaggeroth spaceship exploded like it was supposed to. :rolleyes:

What about Data's head? http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Time's_Arrow_(episode)
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Those footprints are obviously left over from the time the Doctor and Romana went back in time to make sure the Jaggeroth spaceship exploded like it was supposed to. :rolleyes:

Actually, all of it was me in my younger and more foolish years as a Time Traveler. I was pretty clumsy back then. The guilt about saying it was hoaxes and natural processes has forced me to confess to it all.
    edited October 2013

Now that's the kind of point I was trying to make. You get brownies. :)