test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Voyager must've been really unpopular...

Comments

• icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's not like every monkey-like creature evolved into Humans ... we still have monkeys ... Voth Creatures probably evolved as well ... some of them probably just kind of look like a T-Rex like Crocodiles just look like Crocodiles from hundreds of millions of years ago ...

but monkeys and APEs as we know them now were around then either.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The episode where the Yankees and the Communists were still fighting after nuking themselves back to the stone age and the Constitution was the Yanks "Holy" document

you know the E Plebneesta can you speak its holy words? :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    icsairguns wrote: »
    but monkeys and APEs as we know them now were around then either.

Prehistoric Monkey : http://nycep.webfactional.com/media/upload/page_82/photo-1285687288.99.jpg

Modern Macaque : http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/naturelibrary/images/ic/credit/640x395/t/to/toque_macaque/toque_macaque_1.jpg
    _______

Paranthropus boisei :
    http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38974000/jpg/_38974275_bamboo_bbc_203.jpg

Modern Gorilla :
    http://static.zsl.org/images/width320/mjukuu-main-0585-5096.jpg
    _______

Prehistoric T-Rex : http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/007/cache/tyrannosaurus_791_600x450.jpg?01AD=3UUsrddDuClR_6-7_d6cgPUH3BCcSNU9PQMFWpbad1OVT-SHd7A4hTQ&01RI=0ABD26084556A44&01NA=na

Modern Voth-Creature : http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/www/c4/ef/c4ef4e81bf3d918aac4ddb6f11c711a71381520890.jpg
    _______

not to mention Primate/Human Evolution doensn't have to be the exact same thing as Dinosaur/Voth Evolution .... you simply can't predict evolution ... Crocodiles & Sharks basically didn't change over ~200 Million Years
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • radagast75radagast75 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Plausible science fiction? ROFL! :P What Star Trek were you watching?

Let's see there was the episode on the

Gangster planet
    Roman planet
    TRIBBLE planet
    Miri's duplicate Earth
    The Greek gods episode
    The Halloween Planet where the Enterprise gets turned into a necklace.
    The giant hand in space holding the Enterprise
    The episode where the Yankees and the Communists were still fighting after nuking themselves back to the stone age and the Constitution was the Yanks "Holy" document.
    Jack the ripper being an energy being

And that's just a handful of the unbelievable nonsense from the original series.

First three could easilu be compared to our world which evolved around bible for quite some time.

You really think there is no duplicate earth? Even the most respected astrophysics speculate around mulrivewrse theory where there is infinite number of copies of us for every possible outcome. Science fiction right now, yes, but so was round eart and sun in midle of our solar system :P

These Greek god(s) had technology that made them appear as god's. What do you think neanderthal would think of us? Magic, power... We would be godlike to them.

Both hand and halloween planet are most unbelievable but in other hand,. who can tell for sure we cant manipulate matter and particles in some point of time as easily as we manipulate wood, electricity and so forth.

Yankee and communists? Yes if you just open your eye's and look what world does now, it is not hard to imagine we still fighting for idiotic stuff like that even after we wiped most of our planet off with weapons of mass destruction :(

There may or may not be energy beings in some part of universe, after all our lives are basically energy patterns in our brains. Maybe its soul, maybe not and maybe, just maybe in somepart of evolution our body comes unecessary and we go on as energy beings (Ghosts)

Almost anything is possible, only thing that hinders progress and possoibilities is lack of imagination,, creativity and courage.
    Captain Hunt, at your service!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    icsairguns wrote: »
    I disagree when we are talking about star trk. the reason it was so good is because it was plausible science not yet realized hence the fiction.

im old enough to remember the days before automatic doors . so many thing we saw in trek became fact. and the science community are apparently fans as well.
    1st space shuttle name was?
    the name of what was a newly discovered particle that traveled faster than light?

and where were those names taken from?

as far as the voth they didn't say they left on their own or if they were transplanted so I don't really care they are cannon go for it. But littlefoot and chompers with lasers were never in the series and even if the voth did take pets with them over 65 plus million years would not the pets have evolved as well?

We can safely add memory stick (Isolinear chip), iPad (Padd). touch screens, matter and antimatter hypospray, they are still big and unpractical but they exist, mobile phones... As Tuwok would say.. "Suffice to say, the list Is extensive"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    And that's my point. Anything is possible, and Star Trek is full of implausibilities. So it's not unbelievable that the possibility exists that the Voth developed space travel before splitting the atom.

Well, if we set aside TOS and look further to new series it is clear that Star trek is at least by technology, the most plausible scifi yet. Many of physics apply to real life and many real life appliances got inspired by Star Trek.

Also Voth being here millions of years ago is one of the most plausible scenarios of Trek with all the space travel and all that. One day we are gone and some other species may evolve to something similar to us and that takes quite some time, at least couple of hundred thousad years. By that time most of our grand achievments have gon forever. We are not like old folks who built with stone which lasts thousand of years like Pyramids. We built with materials that just rust and turn to dust in teeth of time and leave no trace in the end.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    They had been in 1 episode of all of Star Trek not surprised their are people who don't remember them.
  • lookmanohandslookmanohands Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The whole problem with Voyager was that it didnt know why it even existed.

TOS knew exactly what it was and why: Take all the space travel Sci-Fi from all these paper back books and present it to an audience that would normally never read those stories.

TNG knew what it was: Take all those space travel Sci-Fi from those old 1960ies paper back books and inject it with some contemporary storytelling - characters with a psychological profile, fears, dreams, anxieties...

DS9 knew what it was: Take all those stories and turn them on their heads. Instead of making it about people commenting on and reacting to otherwordly weird stuff, make it about the people and their all to human problems and have the bizarre weird alien stuff comment on them. What do Klingons think about human love or what do Ferengi have to say about human suffering in war.

And then Voyager came and wanted to be another Lost in Space, but didnt go through with the premise entirely. And it wanted to have a conflicted crew, Starfleet and Maquis, but never took that anywhere either. And it wanted to have a Captain with a science background, but didnt know what stories to tell about a scientist...... so they turned Janeway into yet another soldier-Captain, and adventurer, and politician, and leader, and whatever the episode wanted her to be this week.
    Voyager was a mess!
    edited October 2013
    The whole problem with Voyager was that it didnt know why it even existed.

ya that whole 75 thousand light years from any help from any thing starfleet or Federation to rely on ones ship and crew to do your best to get your crew home what you didnt get any of that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    ya that whole 75 thousand light years from any help from any thing starfleet or Federation to rely on ones ship and crew to do your best to get your crew home what you didnt get any of that?

That was the concept. Its full implications for plotlines were largely ignored.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,863 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    cynder2012 wrote: »
    I've seen Voyager...though its been a few years, and i dont recall any voth lol...I may have to go find those episodes

^ This!

I don't know if I would've remembered the Voth if I hadn't watched Voyager again on netflix this summer vacation.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I agree with lookmanohands. The problem with Voyager was that it was trying to be Lost in Space, Master and Commander, Battlestar Galactica, the Dirty Dozen, Star Trek the Original Series, and some form of soap opera (pick one, they're all the same).

A mess doesn't even begin to describe it. :rolleyes:
    edited October 2013
    I agree with lookmanohands. The problem with Voyager was that it was trying to be Lost in Space, Master and Commander, Battlestar Galactica, the Dirty Dozen, Star Trek the Original Series, and some form of soap opera (pick one, they're all the same).

A mess doesn't even begin to describe it. :rolleyes:

you just describe Stargate Universe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited October 2013
    you just describe Stargate Universe

Yupp, and just like Voyager, SG:U took the premise of Lost in Space and didnt know what to do with it. Also, they where way to obsessed with tone and style over substance: Presenting a dark and bruting athmosphere mattered more to them than actual stories.

I am not saying that Voyager was a total waste of time and effort. I totally understand that it has its fans and I can see why.
    I am just saying that Voyager didnt have a clear and plain concept, like its predecessors had.
    It failed to get people attached. To achieve that a show needs a hook, to drag people along.
    TOS, TNG and DS9 all had that. Voyager? Not so much.
    edited October 2013
    It failed to get people attached. To achieve that a show needs a hook, to drag people along.

think your confusion VOY with ENT 7 VS 4 season only other star trek series to run less then 7 seasons was TOS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • nebbiosadonzellanebbiosadonzella Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    radagast75 wrote: »
    Well, if we set aside TOS and look further to new series it is clear that Star trek is at least by technology, the most plausible scifi yet.

Not sure if serious... :confused:
    edited October 2013
    think your confusion VOY with ENT 7 VS 4 season only other star trek series to run less then 7 seasons was TOS

Voyager started strong in ratings and ended below DS9 at its weakest days. Voyager was constantly and steadilly bleading out.

Yes, it made it for 7 years. And why not. It wasnt a bad Sci-Fi-Show compared with the competition of its time.

ENT had exactly the same problems as VOY, by the way: Not knowing what it wanted to do.
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yupp, and just like Voyager, SG:U took the premise of Lost in Space and didnt know what to do with it. Also, they where way to obsessed with tone and style over substance: Presenting a dark and bruting athmosphere mattered more to them than actual stories.

I am not saying that Voyager was a total waste of time and effort. I totally understand that it has its fans and I can see why.
    I am just saying that Voyager didnt have a clear and plain concept, like its predecessors had.

We're stuck far from home and have to get back. Concepts don't get clearer then that.
    edited October 2013
    We're stuck far from home and have to get back. Concepts don't get clearer then that.

so guess your saying star trek VOY is first thing in in history or Hollywood to use something been done before?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited October 2013

Season 1 of VOY has only two Episodes based on that premise. 2 out of 16.

I didnt make the effort to keep going through the epsiode lists of the other seasons. I think the result will be the same: The Lost in Space Premise was seldom ever being used and usually it was used poorly.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Season 1 of VOY has only two Episodes based on that premise. 2 out of 16.

I didnt make the effort to keep going through the epsiode lists of the other seasons. I think the result will be the same: The Lost in Space Premise was seldom ever being used and usually it was used poorly.

Oh look! A wormhole that will get us back to the alpha quadrant! Let us spent an entire episode devoted to explaining why we can't use it. :rolleyes:
    edited October 2013
    No of course not. Just look how they never ran out of torpedoes even tho they had no way to resupply them.

that only if you dont think out side the box i dont need hard explanations for every thing that happens in trek if i did i never get past one EP of any of the treks and im sure if we all looked hard enough we could find little things throughout all the trek like Voy torpedoes log
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited October 2013
    I really do not see the Voth actualy having chosen to leave earth but were taken by an actual space faring species. maybe collected as samples for rurther study or something and experimented on where they gained enough inteligence to understand that they were removed from earth. then whoever collected and experimented on them had either dumped them on some planet or died out for whatever reason. Last thing is during those millions of years the Voth evolved they got the story mixed up.

Simple reason for this is there would have been evidence of a 64 million year old space fairing civilization here on earth and on the moon. Yes finding fossils is one thing and they are scarce but not ever findingany signs of an advanced space fairing civilization somewhere is rather impossible or near enough because many advanced materials simply do not rot away such as gold, platinum, stainless steel, titanium, many space age ceramics. Even steel reinforced concrete will last that long once burried. If we can find random fossilized bones then would have found far more evidence of an advanced space fairing culture.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No of course not. Just look how they never ran out of torpedoes even tho they had no way to resupply them.

Or for that matter, shuttles.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jetwtf wrote: »

Simple reason for this is there would have been evidence of a 64 million year old space fairing civilization here on earth and on the moon. Yes finding fossils is one thing and they are scarce but not ever findingany signs of an advanced space fairing civilization somewhere is rather impossible or near enough because many advanced materials simply do not rot away such as gold, platinum, stainless steel, titanium, many space age ceramics. Even steel reinforced concrete

Actually they do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XDbcMND7fY

Honestly, I'm gonna keep posting that documentary until someone watches it and stops bringing up "but we would find their ruins!"

No we wouldn't.
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Actually they do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XDbcMND7fY

Honestly, I'm gonna keep posting that documentary until someone watches it and stops bringing up "but we would find their ruins!"

No we wouldn't.

Yeah, honestly. People don't seem to be grasping just how stupidly long 65 million years is.
    I mean.
    The very face of the Earth changed.
    Continents moved.
    Guys, just try and process that.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I definitely remember them because there were a few things I didn't like about the episode:

1. The idea that dinosaurs had advanced technology when there is no way they could have even managed to wrap their brains around Bronze Age tech, let alone make starships that could travel and sustain them long enough in deep space to make the journey to another planet - a place which they had no idea of its location.

2. Even if they could, where are the factories to crank out the tech? Where are the launch pads? There isn't even any sort of "Bronze Age" tech evidence, after all...

3. (And this one is the worst offender) Herbivores - hadrosaurs of all things - are the intellectually superior dinosaurs who invented all the high tech.

L.
    M.
    A.
    O.

Seriously? The whole aspect of the Troodon being the most likely candidate for advanced intellect among dinosaurs has been the subject of hypothetical discussion since at least the early '80s. They were theoretically the smartest, and even they didn't have "Bronze Age" tech.

The "Voth" concept on Voyager would have made much more sense if they had been transported by an advance race to the Delta Quadrant, AND if that species transported weren't the dinosaur equivalent to sheep.

:rolleyes:
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    Yeah, honestly. People don't seem to be grasping just how stupidly long 65 million years is.
    I mean.
    The very face of the Earth changed.
    Continents moved.
    Guys, just try and process that.
    Try to process this: if things like bones, scales and feathers can be preserved, then certain aspects technology that are designed to be super strong or vacuum-resistent are going to as well.
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kain9prime wrote: »
    Try to process this: if things like bones, scales and feathers can be preserved, then certain aspects technology that are designed to be super strong or vacuum-resistent are going to as well.

You really are not understanding how fossilization works, or how nature can degrade and ruin our modern marvels.
    Just to point out though: feathers and scales from that long ago have never been preserved. We only know they existed because of imprints in rock and from fossilized bones. And the bits of bone themselves are pretty much stone-like as a result of the fossilization process.

And to the people saying, "Oh but how did dinosaurs go into space? Derp derp."
    Guys, the Voth were already humanoid dinosaurian lifeforms by the time they escaped Earth. They were not literally still animal-shaped dinosaurs. They already had thumbs and stood on two legs and were basically people.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Why does a race have to follow our path of technological progress? Biotechnology is just as good as our technology and it has the added benefit of being eco-friendly. Of course by biotechnology, I mean growing buildings and technology not dangerous bacteria. We can even create bio-degradable plastics. After all, due to our mass-consumerism lifestyle, bio-degradable plastics are the future.

If a bunch of archaeologists from thousands of years in the future were to try to piece our civilization together, then it would go to just the 21st Century and stop with them having no way of knowing what happened. Also, there is the simple fact that cities are just not made to last anymore. Concrete, Drywall, Wood, and Steel are just not good materials for long-term durability.