What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Federation Tutorial Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Something else about the new Starfleet bridge and interior environment, it might just have been me, but I got a sort of cold feeling from it. I believe this is mostly down to the lighting and how it is lit generally, I know it has a more silver/white scheme that gives that impression, but would it be possible to have warmer lighting like those found on the Belfast (Defiant) and TOS Constitution interiors?
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    Something else about the new Starfleet bridge and interior environment, it might just have been me, but I got a sort of cold feeling from it. I believe this is mostly down to the lighting and how it is lit generally, I know it has a more silver/white scheme that gives that impression, but would it be possible to have warmer lighting like those found on the Belfast (Defiant) and TOS Constitution interiors?

The lighting in general is kind of off. Bloom issues aside, it is just too bright in general compared to some of the other bridges. It is beautiful, but at the same time just doesn't look like it belongs.

Maybe some warm lighting, as you suggested, would help.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    New Academy doors seem really out of place, and when the doors slide open from within the Captain's office, you can see them just hanging in mid-air.

Academy hangar bay is great, but from it we have a clear view of the badly warped dimensions of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Got to the ship corridor section where you had to reroute a plasma conduit. Still some remaining klingons to kill, but none could be found. Got stuck and had to quit.

Perhaps it was just my settings, but there was no music throughout, and coupled with the lack of voice-overs made it a lonely affair.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think this needs to be changed; the character is now assigned to Starfleet and should be an Ensign, so the field promotion should be to Lieutenant. This would also be in line with the fact the game rank changes from Ensign to Lieutenant (1).

Only a Lieutenant would have the authority to take command.

p.s. we should be able to switch out of the academy uniform before reporting to the ship; we are no longer cadets at the academy.
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    I think this needs to be changed; the character is now assigned to Starfleet and should be an Ensign, so the field promotion should be to Lieutenant. This would also be in line with the fact the game rank changes from Ensign to Lieutenant (1).

p.s. we should be able to switch out of the academy uniform before reporting to the ship; we are no longer cadets at the academy.

My understanding is you are on a Final Training Cruise. So While graduated, you are effectively still cadets until the cruise is completed. That said, it makes more sense for us to be in the cadet uniforms throughout the tutorial rather then suddenly change into our actual uniforms.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited October 2013

On a ship full of Ensigns, the Ensign designated First Officer would take command, no? (Serious question as I'm not a military guy, but this is Trek anyway, since when did they get all those details right?)

Alternatively, on a ship full of Cadets, the one person field promoted to Ensign would be in command.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Observations while playing through...

Tactical Officer
    Vulcan

Graduation Day
    * Lighting both "in game" and during cutscenes is often very dark and many npcs appear in deep shadows. Noticed this first here, but it continues throughout.

* Story Consideration: 1st Officer? I think somehow the concept of the "cadet cruise" and how cadets are filling the positions might be more clear within the dialog.

*Note about dialog. I love that you can make dialogs include some race specific wording.

Training Cruise
    *Interestingly, I have no rank pips whatsoever. Other cadets aboard do. Must be because I'm the First Officer. I don't need no stinking rank pips.

* Fighting off the Klingon Boarders on transporter deck. When healing cadet R'raak in the transporter room, is it possible to use the medical tricorder animation instead of the kneeling and holding your tricorder up and looking up at it. As a foundry author I know we have a "medical tricorder" looking animation.

* b4 entering turbolift ran back over the map to appreciate this wonderful new interior.
    things I noticed.
    -Outside the armory, when I entered the hallway, one of the other security guys was disintegrated by a Klingon disruptor blast. Now, he is standing here again, standing here and healthy.
    -at the door out of the room where you heal R'raak, there is now a ghostly flickering image of the security guard that was here
    - glowing indicator of where to shoot the eps conduit is still flashing
    - red alert sounds inconsistant throughout deck. never hear in transporter room

WEAPONS BAY Area
    * No Alert sounds? No shaking?
    * Freaking cool, meeting up with a security squad like that. AND they all have names !!!
    + 1 Star :D

Field promotions(space)
    *In space destrotying jamming satellites , the Voice Over says "use your plasma beams to weaken a shielded..." whatever she says. Shouldn't that be changed to "Phaser"

* Just noticed, it would be nice to have the "instructor" voice let the player know about autofire. at some point in this whole area.

In sector Space
    (non mission)
    * Mini Map and Map brought up by hitting M key have a Horrid Blue Bloom instead of black space. The map is there, just on this terribad blue color instead of black.

Guiding Light
    * Someone there a Soap Opera fan or something? At the onset (b4 anything) I dislike the title of this mission. (Note after playing mission : Title still feels weak)

*Bounds of credibility get really stretched here, very quickly. My little Miranda crewed by cadets can take out a Borg Probe, but Two Top of the line Starfleet Cruisers supposedly staffed by actual , you know, officers "NEED" my help. It's absurd, and the dialog can be changed to make it more believable without changing any of the story.
    Thus far this new tutorial has been awesome.
    This is a really weak point.
    As it is, two probes the likes of which I beat easily, crippled the Khittomer, while it had the backup of another big ol' Starfleet ship right there.
    It is not something that is believable. (at least to me)
    EDITED TO ADD : A thought. Replace the probes with a Sphere that does this, and then it becomes believable.

* Captain Vo'Lak just doesn't feel very Vulcan in his dialogs.

Assimilation of the Innocent
    * Crash to Desktop. No error message when beaming to Vega IX

Final Thought :
    Damn those new starship interiors look cool.
  • Options
    jestersagejestersage Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Just by reading the tutorial made me realize they are literally trying to pull and captain erastz on JJTrek. The KDF only resemble KDF of JJTrek and not the honorable warriors of TNG/DS9
  • Options
    helenthhelenth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If someone didn't complete or didn't have the chance to watch the tutorial, here're my videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGm0hgTQGrY
  • Options
    aiden089aiden089 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jorumgandr wrote: »
    I tried it out.....

first, that bridge... we're getting it right? cuz its a sexy bridge.

secondly I enjoyed the build up for it, far more dramatic then the USS khitomer.

I did run into a bug, after destroying the 3 comm stations I couldn't proceed further, which made me sad face, I really wanted to tear apart that villain.

Same here, its very frustrating!
    Nedya.png
  • Options
    argent007argent007 Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    bug report, tactical track:

Mission: Assimilation of the Innocent

beamed down to Vega colony, clicked out of the tutorial popup, and the game locked up

i restarted, and it instantly jumped from the beginning of the ground map's objectives, to the end, and now i'm stuck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, that would be better. Because this plot with the Klingons is to generic and really makes Klingons look like thugs. Also, it really goes against the Klingon code of Honor to hide using a distress call, that's what a Romulan would do, a Klingon warrior would hunt and attack.

Yes they would, Worf even says it in Way of the Warrior, that there could be ships cloaked waiting in hiding...then a discussion about Honor comes up, and Worf says "In war there is nothing more honorable than victory" Which is the Klingon version of "In times of war, the law falls silent"
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    If there's one thing that's been established by the films and series, it's that there's a pretty broad spectrum of Klingon behaviour.

A major part of Worf's personal story arc (especially during TNG) was that he was raised by humans, but trying to live up to his idealized version of Klingon culture...when much of the Empire was corrupt, and paid only lip service to honor and tradition.

I don't think it's all that inconsistent to have some Klingons behaving the way they do in this mission. There is an excellent in-game counterpoint in Ja'rod.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I was able to make to Vega until I ran into a problem (no need to mention why I stopped at Vega).

The beginning is a good orientation on movement and interaction, but then it jumps right into transferring to your ship without having a graduation ceremony. The progression should be to being pinned as an officer (Ensign) so the rest of the early intro is as an Ensign.

The part that introduces player to the use of a phaser seems lame; you cannot be on the senior staff if you did not do "advance phaser training". I know there was a need to slip this in the tutorial, but that line was just lame. How about having the newly promoted Ensign go through some additional ground certifications on ship (just like we have seen in TNG or other ST series).

The KDF raid was interesting, but others have considered it out of place for KDF. I do agree and it would have been better to have them as Orions going on a raid (I know there is another mission for this, but this can be an intro to the Orion raiding presence in the local space).

I mentioned this before, but after the Captain I killed and the toon is battlefield promoted, the promotion should be from Ensign to Lieutenant. This is in line with the actual progression in game. The newly assigned personnel should be Ensigns and the toon should become Lieutanant when given provisional command of the ship.

During the ship counter-boarding ops, the one point where you are suppose to fire on an EPS conduit is bugged since I was not able to engage it even though I was able to select it. I had to walk pass it in order to fire on it (and that was all ready after engaging the boarding party).

The sudden appearance of so many Borgs goes unnoticed by the rest of UFP does seem outrageous, especially that close to Earth and other major systems.

Of course, the whole bridge flair is blinding... hoping this was not intended and will be fixed soon.

supplemental: I made it pass the bug without making a new toon (went back to beam in point, logged out and reentered after timer reset. All worked well); the rest of Vega mission was easy on ground and in space. The intro ended after this mission and the whole Borg invasion is forgotten (returned to basic mission ladder). It would be nice to have a few more missions to resolve the Borg invasion in Sirius block.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    after the Captain I killed and the toon is battlefield promoted, the promotion should be from Ensign to Lieutenant. This is in line with the actual progression in game. The newly assigned personnel should be Ensigns and the toon should become Lieutanant when given provisional command of the ship.
    Even in the old tutorial, I'm pretty sure you're an Ensign throughout, and don't get your Lieutenant promotion until you talk to Quinn at ESD.

This is consistent with the new tutorial, as it is supposed to be a ship full of cadets, judging from the way everybody's dressed. The player gets field-promoted to Ensign, which makes the player the highest-ranking officer (or only officer, if you'd prefer to look at it that way :P).
  • Options
    chaosgod777chaosgod777 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So I tried this out for the first time today. So far from what I saw it was a beautiful introduction to the feds, however I was unable to move past the training cruse. Durring the mission there is a part where you have to shoot a plasma conduit. Howeverr once i reroute the p[lasma nothing happens. It becomes stuck there. I think your deffinitely on the right track with the new tutorial.

And tell me that that bridge is the "New" standard bridge design and will replace the standard bridge. because that bridge is really nice. it would be a shame to waiste the asset by only seeing it once durring the tutorial.
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    Even in the old tutorial, I'm pretty sure you're an Ensign throughout, and don't get your Lieutenant promotion until you talk to Quinn at ESD.

That was normally the case, but if you used the old tutorial to grind for Kill & Damage Accolades, it was possible to hit Lt. before making it to ESD...
  • Options
    kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The new tutorial is designed to feel more "trekky". It does. A LOT! Nicely done :)

BUT, any Trek-fan will be immediately thrown off by the ridiculously over-sized Sovereign class-style main engineering which is supposed to be in a small Miranda class. I know, STO has tons of scaling issues, and the only three FED engineering sets already existing in the game are the Defiant, Sovereign and TOS-Connie ones... neither of them would be credible for a Miranda. And I know that time is at a prime, therefore designing a new, smaller engineering section is not an option... However, in this case, for the sake of quality management... do not use main engineering at all then, put the mission task in another room/section... Putting all that effort in a new tutorial and then re-using such non-credible assets would be a shame.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kagasensei wrote: »
    The new tutorial is designed to feel more "trekky". It does. A LOT! Nicely done :)

BUT, any Trek-fan will be immediately thrown off by the ridiculously over-sized Sovereign class-style main engineering which is supposed to be in a small Miranda class. I know, STO has tons of scaling issues, and the only three FED engineering sets already existing in the game are the Defiant, Sovereign and TOS-Connie ones... neither of them would be credible for a Miranda. And I know that time is at a prime, therefore designing a new, smaller engineering section is not an option... However, in this case, for the sake of quality management... do not use main engineering at all then, put the mission task in another room/section... Putting all that effort in a new tutorial and then re-using such non-credible assets would be a shame.

Would've been nice to get a better scaled, and looking, engineering section like the Defiant/Belfast interior has. Also, the reuse of science lab for the "shield room" during the tutorial isn't particularly good either, since it doesn't fit in with the rest of the new interior.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Now personally, I feel that the Kits are given out too late, as their only usable for the final battle. It would have been better to give them out a little earlier, so they can be used against the Borg mob rush while evacuating the civilians...
  • Options
    stodeckerstodecker Member Posts: 0 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2013
    Now personally, I feel that the Kits are given out too late, as their only usable for the final battle. It would have been better to give them out a little earlier, so they can be used against the Borg mob rush while evacuating the civilians...

Hmm? You should get your kit before you activate the pattern enhancer, before the Borg mob rush.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    stodecker wrote: »
    Hmm? You should get your kit before you activate the pattern enhancer, before the Borg mob rush.

I'll have to double check on this then... The choice of Kit is another gripe. My Engineer would have been better off with a Turret or Mine kit, as their more interesting toys...

What may have happened, is that with the first character that finished the scene, the rear gate was already open from group play when I got there, so that may have screwed up the triggering of events...
  • Options
    mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Okay, I'm trying this again after the Oct 18 patch.

The first thing I noticed was a slightly glitchy transition when getting on and off the shuttlecraft between the Academy and my ship. In fact, I actually took a little damage when arriving in the shuttlebay.

When heading to the transporter room, the armory door was open. When I defeated the Klingons, they disappeared right away instead of lingering a bit.

When I got back up to the bridge, I didn't see the Captain beaming out. But I did get to fight the Klingons on the bridge and heal people. But there was no Flores on the bridge, and I needed to talk to her to continue. Can't complete the mission!

Delete character. Try again.

Same glitchy transitions with the shuttle trip. The armory door was open again. I got my weapon. The next step should be to order the cadets in the hall... but I don't get that option. No way to continue. Once again, I can't complete the mission.

So I give up for now.
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Completed through to the end of the Vega space section (after beaming up from planet) with no issues (Except the ships doors are stuck open again), great improvement there, BUT after the cube pops, I speak to the fleet, get told to warp to ESD which I do and the mission tracker tells me to go back to Vega and the beam up button is greyed out.

At this point I am now stuck on ESD and can't go back or progress or even get off the station...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Made a new Bajoran Male tactical officer to try this again with the new patch, and it was smoother up until I need to talk to my ships tactical officer after I lose track of the Klingon ship, and she isn't there on the bridge.
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    reximuz wrote: »
    Made a new Bajoran Male tactical officer to try this again with the new patch, and it was smoother up until I need to talk to my ships tactical officer after I lose track of the Klingon ship, and she isn't there on the bridge.

Change instances, she'll re-appear
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I logged back in today and my objective to order the cadets appeared, allowing me to continue. Until I got to the bridge, and once again Flores was missing. I tried changing instances numerous times, and she never showed up.

Still stuck.
  • Options
    superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I just did a new character to try it out, and before fighting the cube, it prompted me to warp to earth spacedock, which I can't escape now.
  • Options
    captainjk740captainjk740 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    After completing the New Fed Tutorial with toons from each division, I have determined that the overall idea of the tutorial is good. The activities that are conducted on the bridge is more in line with Star Trek shows. I wish the rest of the game was more like the tutorial. I do have some suggestions about the tutorial.

1. If the intent is to have the Borg in the tutorial, then it would be best to make most of the tutorial happen on the holodeck. Otherwise, the Klingons invading Vega would make better sense compared to the rest of the tutorial.

2. Completing the phaser simulation should come before graduation. It does not make much sense that any line officer would not have completed phaser training before graduation.

3. Depending on the toon's career choice, the toon should start out at their career station. Then, if the first officer dies, the toon should be moved up to first officer.

4. When the toon is field promoted to lieutenant, you should be able to at least change the rank before fully completing the tutorial.
  • Options
    suuperduudesuuperduude Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cut the Borg waves in half. It's a tutorial. If they can't fire phases and torpedoes after the Klingon fights (which can be cut by one wave itself) and 2 or 3 Borg waves, then it's time to uninstall the game. The tutorial doesn't have to be this long to get the point across.
    --
    Lion Heart of Hammer Squadron