test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Federation Tutorial Feedback Thread

salamiinfernosalamiinferno Member Posts: 159 Cryptic Developer
Official Federation Tutorial Feedback Thread

Please leave any feedback, bugs, comments or concerns you have on the ground and space tutorial here!
Post edited by salamiinferno on

Comments

• Options
    stodeckerstodecker Member Posts: 0 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2013
    Hey everyone,

The new Federation starting experience is my baby; if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Remember, this experience is tailored for players FIRST coming into the game, not die-hard veterans like yourself. Some things may seem "obvious" to you, or slower paced than you are used to. That's all by design.

Thanks.
  • Options
    jorumgandrjorumgandr Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I tried it out.....

first, that bridge... we're getting it right? cuz its a sexy bridge.

secondly I enjoyed the build up for it, far more dramatic then the USS khitomer.

I did run into a bug, after destroying the 3 comm stations I couldn't proceed further, which made me sad face, I really wanted to tear apart that villain.
  • Options
    jaguarman1234jaguarman1234 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    http://i.imgur.com/rDocNUZ.jpg

not sure if this is a bug or not, but those consoles are HUGE in engineering during the tutorial.
  • Options
    asdfjkadfjkasfasdfjkadfjkasf Member Posts: 345 Media Corps
    edited October 2013
    Ran into a bug during my attempt.

Career: Science Officer.

After completing the reroute sheilds, then taking the turbolift to the bridge, nothing happened, there was no objective update on the bridge, it was just empty and unable to progress the mission any further.
  • Options
    malcaine2malcaine2 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    "Assimilation of the Innocent"

Completed the mission, and told to beam back to ship... yet there's no way to beam back to the ship from the ground map.
  • Options
    stodeckerstodecker Member Posts: 0 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2013
    jorumgandr: That bridge will be available "eventually", and yes, it's smexy. I'm not sure why the mission bugged out on you at that point. The Klingon is supposed to "fly by" and take two shots at you. Will look into why this didn't happen to you.

jaguarman1234: I noticed this too just a few minutes ago, will be fixing it.

asdfjkadfjkasf: Hmmm, I will have to look into why that step didn't complete for you. I've played through with science officers before, and didn't have an issue. Will investigate.

malcaine2: Did you claim any C-Store boffs? You need to be given a Boff before you can leave the map, if you already have a full roster, you can't get them and you can't leave. (Or it might be something else, will investigate).
  • Options
    dmfreddie_1426533189dmfreddie_1426533189 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    nOTE: sTARTED THE TUTORIAL AS A sCIENCE CAREAR

Initial first impression really good however I have a few critisisms so far
    - Let us explore the shuttlebay more!
    - The bridge officers on the sides are very dark; more lighting needed
    - Captain taggart the cutscene of the distress call does far to much facepalms in my opinion
    - Initial cutscene from the turbolift between you and the transporter operator initially you are very dark and could really see you as the character and the bit just before you exit the turbolift cut scene your character dissapears
    - The klingon cutscene of them getting sucked into space was a bitt odd, needs smoothing as they were flipping between decompression and standing animations
    - Where did the last klingon go in that animation cutscene as I didn't see him get sucked into space but hese not there anymore
    - Was unable to destroy eps conduit normally had to go into shooter mode (used sniper rifle to shoot at normally, shot fired, no damage, unable to shoot with sniper rifle or phaser pistol)
    - EPS conduit arrow doesn't dissapear when its been destroyed although it registered as being destroying in mission tracjker
    -Section after bridge that was very reminicent of the nemisis scene isn't at Red alert - it should be at red alert due to combat and boarding...
    - No interact animations played when boosting shields
    - Not all LCARS panles should show red alert just also show normal LCARS stuff just with a red overlay...how is the bridge supposed to function without any way to input commands on consoles! :P
    - The Negvar should declock after the torpedo hit not before
    - The cutscene in the Klingon ship during the explosions...I only ever saw the klingon at I think the weapons console and no one else
    - I thought liter was spelled litre? (Plasma injectors bit)
    -"Nice shot 2 jamming satelites left" poped up too late

AT THIS POINT IVE ACTUALLY GOTTEN STUCK AS THERE IS NO SHIP AT THE OBJECTIVE (Fires Two Shots) Hence the Caps - nothing personal

Things I really loved:
    - Loving the new interior but still not a fan of the large head room clearance
    - JJ style view-screen? Not really sure what to make about that
    - Loving the new thing of actually putting objects outside of windows and holes into space
    - Love the new story flow
    - Love all the new / updated maps

BUT AWESOME TUTORIAL SO FAR

Will update when I can actually finish the tutorial. Apologies for spelling its like 1:30AM right now....
    Join date: April 2010 ; Lifetime Sub since April 2010. Actual 1000 day vet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proud Member of: Fubar Inc.
  • Options
    cehuscehus Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    stodecker wrote: »

-On a Tac, unable to bypass mission after disabling the transporter inhibitor on vega colony
    -clipping on bridge doors
    -clipping on new Accamedy doors

will edit if i find more problems
    Cehus.png
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ran into a bug during my attempt.

Career: Science Officer.

After completing the reroute sheilds, then taking the turbolift to the bridge, nothing happened, there was no objective update on the bridge, it was just empty and unable to progress the mission any further.

Seem to have run into this as well, but on a Tactical Officer.

at first I got stuck after blowing up the EPS Conduit and rerouting the plasma flow (farktoid was on hand for that one, mentioned he had run into it as well).

Somehow that one ended up starting up again and I could continue up to getting back to the bridge. Noticed two people (one looked like it might have been Taggert) beam out, but as I got onto the bridge, Nothing happened and I couldn't continue.

Also, I noticed some of the "Doors" aren't really rendering well. Not sure if that is the "test" aspect or not. but I had one area where I was suppose to breach the door, and if I didn't pay close attention, I would have walked right through the door I was suppose to "breach"
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I love the new tutorial so far, however, the issue is primarily the Vega Colony stuff. I can't get past the first part of the mission on the ground. I get Beam Up, and I can't do that.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The new tutorial (or rather, what I've thusfar seen of it) is great. I got as far as beaming down to Vega before it bugged out. "Beam to Ship," my mission log told me right as I spawned. Got stuck. Got stuck again after remaking the character because the Klingons wouldn't spawn after you left the transporter room. Would love to see the rest of this.
  • Options
    androphorosandrophoros Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ran into a show stopping bug on 2 runs

First attempt: Male Joined trill engineer

Got stopped after the mission would not progress While repelling Klingon Invaders, after blowing up the EPS conduit and rerouted the plasma. It said i had killed 71% of the Klingons although there were no klingons left in the map

Second Attempt: Male Human Engineer

Stopped same map, but instead i got trapped in the transporter room and the doors allowing me to proceed further wouldn't open. Klingons killed according to the mission tracker: 57%.

My rough hypothesis is that the NPCs killed klingons in both cases, and because of that it didn't count in the mission tracker, and didn't advance the mission.
    "Wesley - He wants the Impossible
    Geordi - That's the short definition of Captain" - and the STO Forums
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ran into a show stopping bug on 2 runs

First attempt: Male Joined trill engineer

Got stopped after the mission would not progress While repelling Klingon Invaders, after blowing up the EPS conduit and rerouted the plasma. It said i had killed 71% of the Klingons although there were no klingons left in the map

Second Attempt: Male Human Engineer

Stopped same map, but instead i got trapped in the transporter room and the doors allowing me to proceed further wouldn't open. Klingons killed according to the mission tracker: 57%.

My rough hypothesis is that the NPCs killed klingons in both cases, and because of that it didn't count in the mission tracker, and didn't advance the mission.

same here, human tac
  • Options
    malcaine2malcaine2 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    stodecker wrote: »
    malcaine2: Did you claim any C-Store boffs? You need to be given a Boff before you can leave the map, if you already have a full roster, you can't get them and you can't leave. (Or it might be something else, will investigate).
    Nope, didn't claim any C-store Boffs.
  • Options
    mrtsheadmrtshead Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Seem to have run into this as well, but on a Tactical Officer.

at first I got stuck after blowing up the EPS Conduit and rerouting the plasma flow (farktoid was on hand for that one, mentioned he had run into it as well).

Somehow that one ended up starting up again and I could continue up to getting back to the bridge. Noticed two people (one looked like it might have been Taggert) beam out, but as I got onto the bridge, Nothing happened and I couldn't continue.

Also, I noticed some of the "Doors" aren't really rendering well. Not sure if that is the "test" aspect or not. but I had one area where I was suppose to breach the door, and if I didn't pay close attention, I would have walked right through the door I was suppose to "breach"

I had each of these as well, on a Tac char. Had 71% of the "repel boarders" mission complete, and no more Klingons. Saw the optional objective to shoot the EPS manifold, so I did that, but it didn't do anything at all, just blew up and disappeared. I switched chars a few times, and eventually I think the Klingons in the Transporter room respawned, so I could complete that part.

I then did the next phase, and the door I was supposed to breach didn't render, then when I went back and blew it up, I was sent back to the first area, with the NPC's in their starting positions, and running through their animations, but no Klingons anymore. I took the turbo lift back to the weapons bay, and did the "boost weapons" objectives at the consoles, then got a message from Taggart to come to the bridge.

Went to the bridge, watched a short animation of Taggart and a Klingon argue then beam out (klingon transport animation for both), and then had the objective to defeat boarders, but there were none. No NPCs at all on the bridge, no interact consoles, couldn't go back to the previous areas, and they never seemed to respawn.

That said, I honestly really like the tutorial the new interior is gorgeous, I like that you start in an Academy uniform, and I especially like the dialogue options that seem to be there just to define your character. I'm sure some people will feel like it's a lot of useless extra clicking, but I appreciate things like being able to talk to the other cadets, or choose several dialogue options without necessarily changing the mission flow.
  • Options
    matthewh01matthewh01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am also Stuck on the Bridge, after Captain Taggert Beams out with the Klingon.

Human Engineer.
  • Options
    mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Stuck on the Bridge too. Liberated Borg Human Engineer.

Mission - Training Cruise
    After cut scene with Taggert and Klingon I have "Defeat the Klingon Boarders" but nothing to do and no Klingons to kill .. I mean defeat.

BTW - HECK of a great job thus far.
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • Options
    varzecvarzec Member Posts: 129 Media Corps
    edited October 2013
    This definitely more of the epic intro to Starfleet then the original tutorial. It brings in that epic moment of flying up to your ship in drydock in a shuttle craft. It be nice if we were able to repeat taht sequence with our current ships.

Also is this a sign of a possible interior upgrade for our starships?
    original.jpg?1521423860
  • Options
    mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Tried it with a tactical officer.

Minor quibble: when taking the shuttle to my ship from the Academy, the stars streak by. We're not going that fast, people.

On the ship, I head down to the transporter area to zap Klingons. I run out of Klingons. I log out and log back in again, and the last few Klingons show up, allowing me to finish the objective.

When I head back up to the bridge, I see the captain beaming out with a Klingon. I need to take out the Klingons... somewhere... but there aren't any. I try the logging out trick several times, but I don't get any Klingons. I'm stuck.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Love it so far...

Using a Vulcan Science Female.

One little quibble, it would be lovely to be able to earn the Accolade for reading all the Memorials around the quad while still a cadet.

Also be a neat way for first timers to learn about the Accolade system.

A second quibble...

Why do I talk to the Shuttle Pilot when leaving the academy, but then I'm the one sitting in the front of the shuttle with Flores while traveling to ESD?

Quibble 3 & 4: Aren't the shuttle bay and the Bridge just a wee-bit too BIG for a Miranda class vessel?? :eek:
    Would have loved to have seen a split shuttlebay instead of one Gigantic one.
    I do LUV the new bridge though. :D

Another thought: Will we be able see a Constitution Class Ship if we have purchased that as our starting ship?

BUG: My toon disappeared while riding in the turbolift after the Klingons beamed aboard.

BUG: Also had Klingon trouble in transporter room. Was able to get to 71% but then had to log out and back in to get more to show up.

BUG: All the ship background sounds disappeared when I entered the turbolift to the Engineering deck and hallway, but came back in the Shield Control Room.
    Also, there's a very strange shadow effect that comes and goes as one runs along that corridor.

BUG: Add me to the list of folks stuck on the bridge when the Captain beams out. I think I might have left one Klingon alive in the transporter room, but couldn't see it. It was in the wall to the right, when facing the transporter pad.
    EDIT: Apparently I didn't... the progress log says I've achieved 100% on that requirement.
    :cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    ksbakerksbaker Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I too am getting stuck on the bridge after the captain beam out with a klingon.

The other thing I noticed is the first time I entered the bridge it was extremly hard at least for me to see as much of the bridge was white as though it was too bright. I remember joking that there was more lens flare then on a J.J. Abrams film. Haven't seen that mentioned so it might have just happened for me but once the ship was at red alert later I could see well.
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ksbaker wrote: »
    I too am getting stuck on the bridge after the captain beam out with a klingon.

The other thing I noticed is the first time I entered the bridge it was extremly hard at least for me to see as much of the bridge was white as though it was too bright. I remember joking that there was more lens flare then on a J.J. Abrams film. Haven't seen that mentioned so it might have just happened for me but once the ship was at red alert later I could see well.

actually I notice that some of the places in the bridge and turbolift seem a little too white/bright as well, but though in light of the disappearing klingons bug it wasn't worth mentioning. Thought it might have just been me who thought it was a little too white.

but I have to agree the tutorial is looking great so far. And I do love the bridge. Please tell me it is a new default bridge. Our current default bridge is a little underwhelming. :(
  • Options
    joeykoricjoeykoric Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    One thing I have noticed, that I have not yet seen in this thread. The lighting on the bridge is uber bright, as if there are lens flares occuring from many of the consoles on the bridge. It is a annoying and reminds me of the lighting from JJ's Star Trek and Into Darkness, hate it hate it.
    Fleet Admiral Zach Caldwell
    Commanding Officer, Strategic Starfleet Operations
  • Options
    jtyme77jtyme77 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I too had the JJ lens flare upon entering the bridge the first time. After seeing the Captain get beamed out, I killed a few Klingons but no wounded bridge crew to tend to. The mission is /stuck at this point.
    Here is a screenshot.
    Keenan.png
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    OK...
    I closed the game and waited a little while before logging back in...

Upon returning to the bridge the mission had apparently reset itself.

I was able to fight the Klingons on the bridge and heal the bridge NPCs and complete that part of the mission.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No borg on Vega to kill and no colonists to rescue...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well, I got to Vega but there's no Borg to defeat, and no colonists to rescue. Are we going to get better music cues, like the Romulan tutorial does at some point? It doesn't have to be new music, but a lot of the time it had this really "empty" feeling when playing through it so far.

Incidentally, Pollux and Vega are meant to be near the Jouret system, which unfortunately would now place those two star systems somewhere over in the Regulus sector block, between the Veela and Celes star systems.

Is it possible to have the events unfold in Regulus instead? It might make more sense, especially since we later find out that Stafleet have built a Borg early warning station in the Jouret system during the Romulan patrol dailies at Vice Admiral rank, the proximity of Jouret to the location of the attack on Vega could be good reason for this later fact.

Also, this is personal preference, but couldn't the Renown be a Venture-class starship and the Khitomer a Regent-class? It'd be nice to showcase your more "recent" 2409 Starfleet ships for a change.

EDIT: One other thing; I know we're getting the new bridge for our captains eventually, but will we also get the new Enterprise-E-like corridors seen in the tutorial as well?
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    captainjk740captainjk740 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    Well, I got to Vega but there's no Borg to defeat, and no colonists to rescue.

I got stuck there, too. I played a Joined Male Trill Science Officer. You can't beam back to the ship or drop the mission. You can't logout and login again to get back into space. Instead, you're put right back on Vega when you login. Your toon is permanently stuck there.:(:confused:
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Problems found so far:

- New doors are too large (clipping at Starfleet Academy, Taggart's office)
    - Lighting is dark on the bridge (side consoles)
    - Huge doors on bridge (same issue as new office at Starfleet Academy)
    - Same huge doors in the new corridor system

Couldn't progress much further. Mission bugged out after I saved the guy in the transporter room.

The new bridge is actually acceptable, thou highly inappropriate given that you are flying a Miranda Class at this point in the tuturial. A more appropriate "default" bridge would be similar to the Prometheus-style bridges, which in turn were based on the Wrath of Khan Constitution/Miranda-style. For the tutorial, i'd suggest replacing the bridge with one of the Prometheus variants, and making this new bridge available post-season 8.

My main gripe about the new bridge, is the size of the doors as well as the distance from Captain's Chair to the viewscreen. Furthermore, the doors are labeled as "Deck F" which is incorrect. The bridge is always on Deck A (or Deck 1).
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Played as human tac.

-There are 2 Elisa Flores on the Academy map. She appear on the second spot near Taggart desk right at the beginning of the mission, and if you like exploring before talking to the NPC, you have her as the first interaction right at the begining, and at the same time, at the other side of the garden.

-I was unable to see R'aak (spelling ?) the caitian transporter officer during the cutscene when Klingons beam in. He was talking, but nowhere to be seen.

-During the cutscene with an eplosion and the hull being breached, there was nobody to be sucked into space. Just the explosion, 1minute of nothing, then the forcefield appeared.

mrtshead wrote: »
    I had each of these as well, on a Tac char. Had 71% of the "repel boarders" mission complete, and no more Klingons. Saw the optional objective to shoot the EPS manifold, so I did that, but it didn't do anything at all, just blew up and disappeared
    This. I think the security cadet near the EPS manifold killed the kilngons we are supposed to kill.

-On the next part, when you need to repel the invader, and do something according to your class, 2cadets were not following me (nokes and another one, forget the name, an andorian I think).

-When arriving on the brige, I have the objective to "defeat the klingon boarders", yet, I'm alone on the bridge. The Cpt was captured when I arrived, and nothing else happened.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]