test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Legacy of Romulus Dev Blog #47

Comments

• kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    One thing that I wanted to mention that wasn't in the blog was that when you are under red alert, you'll notice partial armor appear on the nacelles (specifically on the warp engine field grilles), and some of the the windows "disappear", as if the ship is being "armored". You'll be able to see some of this in the images that are in tomorrow's Dev Blog.

EDIT: Also, the Fleet version has a pylon option (in addition to the standard pylon) that is only available on it. It's flat, think Voyager, but still forward swept. I've got an image of this in tomorrow's Dev Blog, too.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Are there any other customization options for the look of the ship? I'm mostly interested in the saucer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    One thing that I wanted to mention that wasn't in the blog was that when you are under red alert, you'll notice partial armor appear on the nacelles (specifically on the warp engine field grilles), and some of the the windows "disappear", as if the ship is being "armored". You'll be able to see some of this in the images that are in tomorrow's Dev Blog.

EDIT: Also, the Fleet version has a pylon option (in addition to the standard pylon) that is only available on it. It's flat, think Voyager, but still forward swept. I've got an image of this in tomorrow's Dev Blog, too.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

For once Bran,i'm liking what i'm reading ;)
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

wow! awesome. i like animations like that a lot more then over the top battlemode transformations. i know theres a lot of forward swept haters, an option to sweep back would proboly gain a fair amount of additional sales
  • twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Am I the only one that can't see the pictures on that blog?

And no, they're not blocked by my adblocker, I checked. Just get a 404 - Bad request. I didn't think it was that unreasonable, tbh...
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    twam wrote: »
    Am I the only one that can't see the pictures on that blog?

And no, they're not blocked by my adblocker, I checked. Just get a 404 - Bad request. I didn't think it was that unreasonable, tbh...

i use firefox, but always have to take the links with pictures and open them in IE if i want to see them :rolleyes:
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's still 11:49pm here, so "tomorrow" is Wednesday (for us, at least :P). So you are right, the ship is not releasing tomorrow, Wednesday ;)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

So its coming out the day after tomorrow on patch day. At least thats how you sound Brandon XD
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • digimatldigimatl Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    really? i dont like it sorry :( i want fluid elegant yet powerfull designs. this is not. its too blocky and focused on looking mean...like out of the abramsverse.

and forward swept pylons...will not work in a thousand years. always looks like a chicken on steroids :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    i use firefox, but always have to take the links with pictures and open them in IE if i want to see them :rolleyes:

Ah. I see.

Interesting. I use firefox too, but my issues only started like this week, I think. Always able to see the pictures before, and I'm pretty sure I didn't change any settings or add-ons. Must've been the update to firefox itself, then.

Cheers.

Edit: aaaand upon trying again, for the fourth time, it magically worked. *confused frown*
  • hawke89305092hawke89305092 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Leaving aside my low opinion of the sheer blockiness of the design for a moment, the underside of that saucer looks very unfinished. It feels like it's missing some definition, or contour, or detail... or something. I can't quite put my finger on it. :confused:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    after seeing here on redshirt I still say the pylons are to thick , but until we can test/see the ship in the flesh it will put a lot of buyers off from buying it tbh
    (including me as i buy every fed ship without inspecting it first until now )
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
    edited October 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Assuming the new ship will cost 2000 zen, but am looking forward to seeing confirmation of this.

Wouldn't bet on it. Based on the stats from redshirt, it supplants the Regent class and Gal-X, and those are 2,5k zen...
    edited October 2013
    twam wrote: »
    Wouldn't bet on it. Based on the stats from redshirt, it supplants the Regent class and Gal-X, and those are 2,5k zen...

this sounds about right what we can expect they want us to pay
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i just realized the second picture actually shows the unique hull material and is not just bad lighting.

There goes my hope for a salvaged look through a better skin. :(
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    its a nice looking ship and all.. but did the feddys really NEED another C-store ship? they have an obscene amount of VA ships to choose from already, if anything the romulan LT - VA lineup still needs fleshing out with some alternatives to the single ship they get ( the new tactical was an awesome new addition) but still need some more alternatives here, also the KDF line up is still somewhat lacking at the VA level also.
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    usscapital wrote: »
    after seeing here on redshirt I still say the pylons are to thick , but until we can test/see the ship in the flesh it will put a lot of buyers off from buying it tbh
    (including me as i buy every fed ship without inspecting it first until now )
    I own an Aztec Pontiac. I have an excuse as to why I like this ship. lol...

Sure, the Avenger's design style can use some tweaks, but its unique appearance is what makes it standout. I think it will go great with my Armitage. Art is subjective. Even though one person may like the color red, someone else may hate the color entirely.

When I look at the Avenger, I see pieces from the Luna, Armitage, and Intrepid.

Its a neat ship.

I am definitely going to buy the Avenger.
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kalavier wrote: »
    I honestly hope they DO NOT add a hanger slot to this ship.

It seems like they are slapping hangers onto everything these days (despite the fact most ships have decent sized shuttle bays). And the view from the back just makes me expect one.

Honestly though, the 'split neck' is false. The saucer connects to the engineering hull as one solid piece. The upper part of the engineering hull just splits into two sections on either side of the shuttlebay doors for no reason. If this truly was a battlecruiser, I'd expect them simply to have that be a solid piece.

I've been inspecting the ship very closely on Redshirt at the ESD ship vendor. There is a secondary fantail up on the primary hull (saucer) section. It's right between the impulse engines. A nice little shuttlebay tucked right up in there.

Now, I'm not saying it will have a hanger slot on the control panel. I'm just saying that there IS a hanger on the ship. Go to Redshirt and have a look for yourself.

I'm liking the ship's look after rotating it around and staring at it for the last hour or so.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Can we get a good (good = different in this context) looking version of this ship?
    I know in your logic everything that looks good must suck, but the more effective=uglier cannot be a sollution IMO.

Just give us the option to switch to a Galaxy -X, Star Cruiser or GCS appearance and i'll be ok with it.
    (god i consider the G-X to look good, your ship really must look hideous...)
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • moody83moody83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When I saw the first screenshot i was sold i thought this would be it.
    However when looking at the ship on the redshirt server and i saw the rest of the ship i was very disappointed and i will save my zen for a future ship.

If you look a the forums there is a high need for revamped cruisers the galaxy is the nr 1 in that case.

Make a sort of battle galaxy class you would not need to make a new design and people will buy it.

Cryptic needs to make money i understand that completely... yet you ignore this potential goldmine.
    Perfectworld:
    My wallet has just put you on indefinite probation!!!!
    edited October 2013
    thetanine wrote: »
    I've been inspecting the ship very closely on Redshirt at the ESD ship vendor. There is a secondary fantail up on the primary hull (saucer) section. It's right between the impulse engines. A nice little shuttlebay tucked right up in there.

Now, I'm not saying it will have a hanger slot on the control panel. I'm just saying that there IS a hanger on the ship. Go to Redshirt and have a look for yourself.

I'm liking the ship's look after rotating it around and staring at it for the last hour or so.

how are you rotating it ?
    moody83 wrote: »
    When I saw the first screenshot i was sold i thought this would be it.
    However when looking at the ship on the redshirt server and i saw the rest of the ship i was very disappointed and i will save my zen for a future ship.

If you look a the forums there is a high need for revamped cruisers the galaxy is the nr 1 in that case.

Make a sort of battle galaxy class you would not need to make a new design and people will buy it.

Cryptic needs to make money i understand that completely... yet you ignore this potential goldmine.

now that I would buy now :)
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    how are you rotating it ?

now that I would buy now :)
    You can go into the Shipyard and rotate the ship on the purchase screen.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited October 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

never thought of that lol :D , after taking a good look it is starting to grow on me but it looks a little short/stumpy tbh ;)
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have to disagree with almost everything said in that blog.

The ship is just ugly.
    It's not supposed to be a pretty or beautiful ship, it's supposed to be a functional ship without all the fluff look of it. So, basically, if you think it's "ugly," then the designers did their job in making it right.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • richardevegarichardevega Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    never thought of that lol :D , after taking a good look it is starting to grow on me but it looks a little short/stumpy tbh ;)
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

How are u doing it or under what are u looking for it??? I just came from Redshirt and looked under VA and RA cruisers and cant seem to find it
  • kalavierkalavier Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    thetanine wrote: »

Starfleet hangers are called shuttlebays(mostly).

I was talking about the shuttle-bay doors between the 'necks' above the engineering hull.

Most Fed ships do have sizable shuttle-bays, but they don't need 'hanger bay' slots ingame. Infact, every fed ship has A shuttle bay.
    edited October 2013
    How are u doing it or under what are u looking for it??? I just came from Redshirt and looked under VA and RA cruisers and cant seem to find it
    The ship isn't under the VA or the RA cruisers, it's under the Other Section, with the Atrox Carrier.
  • malakim0malakim0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Certainly a great looking ship! I'm eager to have my Ferengi engineer take it out for a spin.
  • digimatldigimatl Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    moody83 wrote: »

shut up and take my money :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    I thought you guys were renaming the Avenger, the Sentinel-class, because you already have the Avenger-class in game. :rolleyes:
    They're renaming the already in-game version of the Avenger-class (the Star Cruiser version) to Sentinel. The Battlecruiser version is going to be taking the name of Avenger.
  • papertoastypapertoasty Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    well i dont know.
    after doing a little comparing of this hunk to the fleet excel, the only area it lacks is in the hull dept. (with the right buffs, i can get my fleet excel hull to 81k :eek:)

everything else, consoles, boff layout, weapon layout, shields, ect, looks great next to the excel

if its suppose to take a pounding however, it should have at least as much hull as the fleet excel, with the fleet galaxy beating both out.

id say give the fleet battlecruiser a hull amount either in between the fleet excel and galaxy or just give it a base amount of 45k and call it a day.
    then we'd have a contender for the indomitable fleet excel.
  • fltcaptcrandallfltcaptcrandall Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If the Prometheus from Stargate SG-1, the Vesta Class, and the dreadnought from Into Darkness had a child, the Avenger Class would be the result. I think the STO devs saw the movie and wanted to get that ship in the game somehow, and this is their modern take. Not saying its a bad thing, it just feels "borrowed" too much from other things.