test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What I was expecting of the Dyson Sphere missions and maps

Comments

• cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Just as an FYI for everyone, the Dyson Sphere in Relics was only 2 million kilometers in diameter. Huge, yes, but as stated at Memory Alpha: "or two-thirds of the Earth's orbit around the Sun."

that was a pretty small star then. you'd think it would have to be....or everything inside would be fried.:cool:

"Im a doctor not a physicist !" - Bones

Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    While I agree with you completely, when hints are dropped about something that's 3 months away there's no much else we can do. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I can think of several different ways they could present this, all of which are interesting in their own way. We'll just have to wait and see.
  • aaronh42aaronh42 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Also a reminder: The dyson sphere in the upcoming season is not the dyson sphere seen in relics.
  • milandaremilandare Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I haven't seen the concept art yet, so my jumps can go anywhere. But from the outside, from some distance, with clear enough vision, it might look curved if it wasn't so dang dark out there. So it gets false colour imaged from infra-red or some other sort of sensor scan. In which case it could look like anything at all. Deserts can look heavily vegetated on false colour satellite images.

The sunny side would curve the other way, but depending on any atmosphere it might be hard to appreciate that curve, other than gradient colour changes around the sun in the middle of the "sky". It is a fun thought experiment, one that Cryptic can hardly get "wrong".
  • logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have not taken a look at it. My two cents are that the scale is irrelevant unless there is direct context (such as your ship being able to fly into the surface). It is like the planets in STO. In the reality of the rendering engine, the planets are tiny objects, only a few orders of magnitude larger than the ships. In reality, planets would be many orders of magnitude larger.

However, if you limit yourself into not going anywhere near low Earth orbit, the scale of the planets are fine because you are seeing it from "far" away.

The same is true for the Dyson sphere. Unless it actually allows you to fly from the inside to the outside or fly close enough to the surface that you are lower than certain surface features there is nothing wrong with the scale. The only limitation is that you are prevented from flying as close to it as you might otherwise be able to do, but given that it is a video game, it is basically just an invisible wall.

Also, from what I remember of the TNG episode, there was nothing wrong with the visuals (other than I think that was the one where the photon torpedo launcher fired phasers). The portal which pulled the Enterprise in looked flat and you could not see any curvature until the Enterprise was well inside or outside the sphere.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Well since it's so far away, can I still say the Dyson Sphere should be far more greebly with much less curves? :P

In it's current iteration, it doesn't look very faithful to the episode.
  • admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    From what I ahve seen, hase Crytic even said it is the sae one seen in TNG?
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited August 2013
    From what I understand of a Dysom sphere is it is a construceted sphere that envelopes an earth like star, that would mean it that the inner walls are within the goldilocks zone which earth is in the center. Thats friggin huge! the Enterprise E would be the size of an ant if not smaller inside it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere

Whatever Cryptic does with the concept it will be better than what we have because we have a lack of contenet, what is up in the air is the scale being right for the goldilocks zone and our scale of disbelief. even if our ships are 1/5 the size of the sun inside the sphere i would be happy with more content. I just hope it's scaled more realisticaly.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As long as its something new and challenging but not so challenging that the casual player doesn't end up causing rage like in mine trap than it would be cool for ground or space or both.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2013
    From what I ahve seen, hase Crytic even said it is the sae one seen in TNG?

No, in fact, we have said it ISN'T the one shown in Relics.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • uss917019uss917019 Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited August 2013

That's a disappointment I wished of seeing that big sphere where I could of seen for my own eye that door with the tractor beams.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I honestly do not see the problem with making the sphere appear curved. All it means is that you cannot bring in your ship close enough to the surface to make it appear flat.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I honestly do not see the problem with making the sphere appear curved. All it means is that you cannot bring in your ship close enough to the surface to make it appear flat.

A sphere around a red dwarf star would be immensely smaller than the one seen in TNG. Mercury would be far outside the habitable zone of many of them.

They also make ideal locations for a Dyson Sphere. They last for tens if not hundreds of billions of years and just slowly fade out rather than expanding or exploding - if you're committing to construct a Dyson Sphere you're in it for the long game - interstellar colonization is a more sustainable short term plan.

They're pretty awful for planets (tidal lock, highly varaible, and prone to massive flares - so their habitable zone doesn't stay put long enough), but a sphere could provide the stability and shelter needed to live so close to one.
    edited August 2013

Then... what... why?

Why would you do that?
    edited August 2013
    Then... what... why?

Why would you do that?

Biggest reason? Probably because that one was abandoned and this one needs lots of people to shoot and things to explode.
    edited August 2013
    hevach wrote: »
    Biggest reason? Probably because that one was abandoned and this one needs lots of people to shoot and things to explode.

Automated defense systems! Abandoned wildlife on the inside! Rival baddies trying to take it over!
    edited August 2013
    The star inside was throwing off massive levels of radiation and coronal mass ejections. Any wildlife would be just as dead as the original inhabitants if they'd stayed, as would anybody looking to take it over. It also has no automated defenses on the exterior (and little need of them on the interior), and even if it did the sphere itself was useless in its condition and there is no reason to risk facing its defenses.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ive been here for years doe. If Cryptic had a reputation of putting out a product above reproach, people like me wouldnt have anything to nitpick about.

People like you ALWAYS have something to nitpick about.
    edited August 2013
    hevach wrote: »
    The star inside was throwing off massive levels of radiation and coronal mass ejections. Any wildlife would be just as dead as the original inhabitants if they'd stayed, as would anybody looking to take it over. It also has no automated defenses on the exterior (and little need of them on the interior), and even if it did the sphere itself was useless in its condition and there is no reason to risk facing its defenses.

ROBOTS THEN!!!!!!!!!!!

But if I remember the episode correctly, there were trees and lakes on the inside.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And you arent going to see ANYTHING of that volume of space but the ground below your ship and the star in the distance.

This is almost certainly false.

We can see the light from Sol reflect off the Jupiter and Saturn naked eye, and they are many more AUs away for Earth than the opposite wall of Dyson Sphere would be. The TNG Dyson Sphere from Relics was based on a Sol like Star. I thought they said the Season 8 one will around a Red Dwarf, which is a massively smaller star, meaning the habitable zone will be much smaller, meaning the radius of the sphere itself will be much smaller.

The immense size and curvature of the wall would also intensify the amount of light reflected.
  • milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Can the star damage up? I want to disable the engines of my foe and tractor them to the star.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'd have been surprised if it were the one from "Relics", since the lead-in to the next update is the Iconian gateway found on New Romulus, suggesting this new Dyson sphere is probably located near Voth space in the Delta Quadrant. I'd imagine that is how we first get to the sphere, and then later one season 8 launches we'll be using transwarp gateways or something to reach it.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Dyson sphere map would just be a space map with a giant wall on one side. I don't think people are realizing how really unspectacular a map next to a Dyson Sphere really would be. :rolleyes: A sphere w/ a radius of 1 AU would take you ~50 minutes to go around at the speed of light.
  • bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    forgive but I didn't feel like reading the full thread...im tired...

but....

did anyone make the "that's no moon, its a space station" reference yet?
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bunansa wrote: »
    forgive but I didn't feel like reading the full thread...im tired...

but....

did anyone make the "that's no moon, its a space station" reference yet?
    No. the scale is off by multiple orders of magnitude. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Looking up Memory Alpha I see the books like to throw them around like they are no big deal. I call BS on that. Especially the one Kirk encounters in a book. The one Picard encountered should be the only one that existed. Cryptic, if you are going to make up your own tread VERY carefully with how you explain it. I really dont buy the theory that Sphere tech was easy to come by and all the cool species were building one back in the day. Your sphere needs an architect tie in to the one Picard encountered. If you dont tie it in, then thats just lazy writing. Just because the show writers were lazy, hold yourselves to a higher standard if you want this game to last many more years. You keep up the we dont give an eff style writing, game wont last much longer.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader