What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Console Icon Art Revamp!

Comments

• kidamarkidamar Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    voporak wrote: »
    Hm, let's see here...

No matter what you say, the artists do not work on bugs.

Shutting down the game for a week makes no sense. The server is taken down only to apply an update.

You are missing the point. Changing the look of Items is like putting wall paper over a huge hole in the wall. Its Nonsense. I asked them to transfer all the items I paid for to my other level 50 tac captain. Ships, Mk 12 purple consoles, ground gear and all that sort of stuff because I cannot log in to that character but of course my request lands on deaf ears. I wonder why that is?
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    kidamar wrote: »
    You are missing the point.....

and apparently...so are you. :cool:

tekehd wrote: »
    No no no, you're not supposd to like playing, you're supposed to loathe it and wish they would shut it down for a few weeks to iron out all the bug, because keeping something offline is a good way to test how things will work under real-world loads.
    ...Or something. I don't really understand the logic behind shutting down the game while going on a bughunt. It's not like there isn't a not-live copy of the code available to the team to edit before pushing the patch live. Or that a week is enough time to robustly fix and test every bug or glitch in a 10 GB+ game.
  • kidamarkidamar Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ...Or something. I don't really understand the logic behind shutting down the game while going on a bughunt. It's not like there isn't a not-live copy of the code available to the team to edit before pushing the patch live. Or that a week is enough time to robustly fix and test every bug or glitch in a 10 GB+ game.

OK how many forum posts and bug reports are posted daily. Even if they don't have to shut it down they have a basis to start the fixes. The content dulled down by all the bugs in game already. It makes no sense to add content to a broken game. Fix it before Polishing it or it will be polished junk
    edited August 2013
    OK how many forum posts and bug reports are posted daily. Even if they don't have to shut it down they have a basis to start the fixes. The content dulled down by all the bugs in game already. It makes no sense to add content to a broken game. Fix it before Polishing it or it will be polished junk

you make it sound like this is a new concept that has never been envisioned before.

• shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Having given it a couple of days, now... the new icons are starting to grow on me.

And, actually, the consistent "families" of items with consistent shapes and appropriate colour schemes... is a genuine improvement. Once you've got some familiarity with the groupings, you can say to yourself, for instance, "Hmm, that thingy there has the same sort of outline as a phaser relay, but it's got a purple glow instead of an orange one... so, it must be a booster for polaron!" Which was not something you could do so easily, back when they were both Some Random Gizmo.

So, on balance, I give this change a thumbs up overall.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Indeed, and bugs have in fact got patched here and there.... of course, sometimes patching things to fix one bughas caused another bug to pop up that was previously fixed (or at least the resemblance of the first bug, as merely because something has the same or similar symptoms does not mean it has the same cause).
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    you make it sound like this is a new concept that has never been envisioned before.

Or that executing it will be easy. Bugs, especially ones that seem to spontaneously occur, are pesky things to hunt down and fix.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Or that executing it will be easy. Bugs, especially ones that seem to spontaneously occur, are pesky things to hunt down and fix.

Anyone who thinks it's easy should be given a paper copy of the entire sourcecode and then asked once an hour if they have found the bug yet and be flogged for 10 minutes each time they say no.... hte problem would then sort itself out one way or the other.
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    i too would like them to focus on bug killing and performance.

and although i hate the new icons art with every fiber of being u cant expect art department to fix something that they prob know nothing about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The old ones just didn't look right for what they represent. Since they fixed it with the new ones. I really like them, and they look better.

I say good job on fixing this. And keep updating and fixing the game.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I really hope you're being sarcastic. The new icons were the biggest waste of time/resources that I can remember in recent months. Not to mention the fact that you have to relearn every icon, and all the tac icons look alike except for a barely visible center section. I don't mind the other console icons since I rarely ever change them, but my tac consoles get swapped out per situation and what used to take seconds is now a major bi***.

They could have fixed the costume tailor, the ship tailor, the boff disappearance bug, the [insert bug here]...instead they did this TRIBBLE.
    edited August 2013
    cpc2011a wrote: »
    ...The new icons were the biggest waste of time/resources that I can remember in recent months......

you got numbers for us on what time and resources it took ?

got numbers of everything else in recent months to compare that data to as well ?
    I personally really like the new icons! don't think they were a waste of time at all.
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

got numbers of everything else in recent months to compare that data to as well ?

No I don't and I don't need them. There are much bigger things to fix then icons, so what it actually took makes no difference.

That being said, do YOU have those numbers? If not then by all means close ye gaping pie hole.
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Were there bigger things for Thomas (aka crypticttc, the UI guy) to fix?
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    No I don't and I don't need them. There are much bigger things to fix then icons, so what it actually took makes no difference.

That being said, do YOU have those numbers? If not then by all means close ye gaping pie hole.

Please tell me how much resources Icon costs....and how the guy who makes them has anything to do with fixing stuff.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    [insert typical BLARGH I HATE THE NEW ICONS THEY WERE A WASTE OF TIME BLARGH response here]

:P
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited August 2013

They may be pretty, but regardless of whatever time and resources the art department put into them, I consider it a waste of my time to have to check them via tool-tip when I already knew all the old ones. Change for the sake of change is a sure sign of incompetent management.
    edited August 2013
    They may be pretty, but regardless of whatever time and resources the art department put into them, I consider it a waste of my time to have to check them via tool-tip when I already knew all the old ones. Change for the sake of change is a sure sign of incompetent management.

I'll just leave this here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXR3FMx9bVE
    GwaoHAD.png
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Fun fact, the guys doing work on art assets, like the Console Icons, don't work on Bugs/gameplay programming.

THey wasted no time by doing their assigned task.
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ok, but really was it necessary to change icons that at a glance you could tell what it was, at a glance each icon used to have an actual uniqueness about them. Now all the tacticals look alike minus some color differences.

The new icons are nice and pretty yes, but now you have to scroll over half the TRIBBLE in your inventory and bank to know what it is. Which is dumb in my opinion.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ok, but really was it necessary to change icons that at a glance you could tell what it was, at a glance each icon used to have an actual uniqueness about them. Now all the tacticals look alike minus some color differences.

The new icons are nice and pretty yes, but now you have to scroll over half the TRIBBLE in your inventory and bank to know what it is. Which is dumb in my opinion.

And just like the old icons, you'll come to have them memorized.
  • coldicephoenixcoldicephoenix Member Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thing is the tac icons look too similar and you may easily miss the little difference between types unless you look carefully. While the icons themselves are nice, the older tac icons were very distinct in appearance for each energy type.

We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    farmallm wrote: »
    The old ones just didn't look right for what they represent. Since they fixed it with the new ones. I really like them, and they look better.

Could you perhaps point me to the difference between the Alloy icons ?

Or perhaps the "Star Trek-ness" of the last 3 Misc. consoles from the link above ?

Or ... how about then inability to tell of an Energy Type Damage console is green or blue , due to the beam that comes out of then new icon's corner and splashing on the corner that is supposed to tell you the green/blue/purple quality of the console .

Or perhaps you'd like to enlighten us with the vast differences between the Torpedo Type Damage consoles .

Yeah ... .:cool:
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Some dev mentioned that certain features of the game is done during the dev's free time. A bunch of this stuff is rejected for whatever reason, but sometimes it gets far more attention because it is too cool. Even if this is not the case for the icons, then I can't see it taking more than a Friday Afternoon to do. The resources and time to create a bunch of new icons is minimal compared to almost every other dev task in the game. The only thing that I can see taking less time and resources is fixing typos.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thing is the tac icons look too similar and you may easily miss the little difference between types unless you look carefully. While the icons themselves are nice, the older tac icons were very distinct in appearance for each energy type.

At least the energy weapon Consoles' colors are based on the color of the energy weapon. Much easier to tell that the orange energy weapon console is phaser and the green energy weapon console is disruptor.
    edited August 2013
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Could you perhaps point me to the difference between the Alloy icons ?

Or perhaps the "Star Trek-ness" of the last 3 Misc. consoles from the link above ?

got the last two http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/c/c4/RCS_thruster.jpg
    GwaoHAD.png
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Hard to memorize when Icons all look the same and the only difference is too small to see. And the colors blend into one another that the only way to tell what's what is the tool tip. :rolleyes: