What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Summer Giveaway - Day 1 [Now Complete]

Comments

• Options
    tamujiintamujiin Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I already claimed it when Worf was giving it away six months ago or so... i also claimed it today. I see no problems. Everybody dont have it, just because you already have it, doesnt mean OTHER people don't appreciate it. I know i do, just to click a claim button, even if i already have it!

You all know the last day they will give away a ship! And in between then and now they will probably give away a fighter! Think about it, they said account wide!

I would also like to point out to people complaining about the variety of uniforms between factions. The KDF has all the uniforms for klingons, except the academy one, in the series cannon. The romulans are there as well, including the NEW uniforms not seen in any series. You got the TNG uniforms, and even the original uniforms. These two species never HAD many types of uniforms to begin with, because the material the devs have to work with is based on the UFP, not the KDF, or the Romulan faction. If the DEVS made new unique uniforms, everyone would whine because they are not "cannon". Not to mention CBS and a license issue. Nobody thinks of this stuff. yet they whine and complain about stuff the company gives away for FREE.

The company that makes the gamedoes not have free rain over all this, they have to work with-in the boundries of what the property owner, and what they say/want/do goes. I am sure if the develepment team, and the company could have there way, it would be different, but the folks who work on the game have boundries they have to take, and process' and procedures they have to follow. Plus, they need to make money, if not to by coffee they keep spilling on the servers..... and that explains the price of coffee today.
  • Options
    giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Interesting. If this was an opportunity for a previously available gift (new players won't know this), then it stands to reason that other freebies this week will also be previously available gifts that new players missed. If so, can old players enlighten new players as to what might be expected for the free ship?

P.S. PLEASE FIX THE SPLIT BOTTOM PANTS! The DS9 freebie is useless without them.
    Greenbird
  • Options
    bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    you should be used to it. ;)

I'm always an angry Klingon haha :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Wow, the forums are never disappointing with the ungratefulness...I bet you go to stores, and demand them to give you free stuff because you brought a shirt at full price, and it's now on sale, or free.:rolleyes:

because there are no KDF uniforms except for the one.

i agree with you here, i cant belive the negative comments here and in the ingame chat from people who already had or just didnt like this free item.
    some people are down-right ungreatful, selfish or greedy.:mad:

personally i thank all the stol gang for their awsome generosity in this give away and any free item from tribble on up is very much appriciated by me and a great many others, thanks.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, I think that everytime a hungry person is fed (food, not federation) a meal should be provided to people who already ate. That's only fair, afterall...

Yes, it's sarcasm
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    "To end of our Summer Event with a bang, we are excited to announce that we will be giving away FREE C-Store items next week! As we will feature something different every day, you won?t want to miss out!"

How do I miss out from getting something most people with my kind of time already have and have had for a looooong time, lol?

I can appreciate giving stuff to the F2Pers but let's not act like we are all equally being thanked or gifted.

Enjoy the free gifts now, newer folks. When you get up there and have supported STO as long as I have, you get squat. Even the benefit for helping testing LoR had no point since everyone got one.

I'm not mad or anything and maybe 1 of 5 items *might* be something I don't have but I doubt it. Let's just call it what it is: a select giveaway. People who have nothing get stuff and people who have stuff get nothing, lol.

Maybe if you had the item being given away, we could have gotten a respec token or something. A duty officer box. A freakin Tribble maybe, lol. 500 dilithium. But instead...nuthin. I love STO but this is pretty weaksauce, lol.

Sadly, those that have given the most support (aka bought alot) get nothing while the f2p players get stuff. Just how it goes in marketing/business. More effort put out in gaining/keeping new customers than rewarding old ones.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Sadly, those that have given the most support (aka bought alot) get nothing while the f2p players get stuff. Just how it goes in marketing/business. More effort put out in gaining/keeping new customers than rewarding old ones.

I get you point of view, but who do you think has less stuff? A brand new player or someone who is playing for years? Who exactly needs ships/equipment the most?
    How many ships do you have? Do you really need, say a Nebula?
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/star-trek-online-holodeck-pack-key-giveaway/

Just for those folks who feel like they got nothing. Enjoy, and thanks Alienware. :)

Thank You... this is very cool.
    Also when ya claim it, it says it's a Free Gift from Cryptic.

There were 1702 keys left when I just got mine.

:cool:

This is what ya get, BTW...

The Holodeck Pack includes the following:
    A consumable item that will grant 2500 EXP to their character
    5000 Unrefined Dilithium Ore
    One random Rare or Very Rare space or ground weapon
    Stack of random ?self? dual consumables
    Stack of random ?team? dual consumables

(you only get to claim this on one toon, so use it wisely) ;)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    If i was to elaborate more on what they are giving away in the next few days, i would say a shuttle for each faction, and a ship for each faction. Would be epic. Which ones i don't know.

The only free stuff they have given away since i been around from in game, not on other websites are duty officers and tribbles. And the uniform they gave away last year, when worf was on at the academy holo deck going nuts.

Remember they said account wide, do i need to claim it on each of my toons if they say, give away a key? that would be nice, i got more then 4 toons..... how about a tribble? perhaps! a borg officer? for each of my toons? I dont think so....

The only things in the game that are default account wide when you buy em are uniforms, ships, account bank slots, retrain tokens, and ships, either fighters, shuttles, or starships.

Probably whats going to happen is they are going to give away, the Ds9 uniform, the TGN season 1 uniform, ( now that i think of it, this could have been the uniform worf gave away, the ds9 uniform could have been something else. Maybe lobi.... ) the original series dress uniform, the enterprise uniform, and another uniform. Only because they have given these away as promotional items on other websites.

If they were SMART, they would give away 1 ship from the ship packs, FORCING you to buy the others eventually, for the console sets. Making the 50 bucks either way.... ( or so ).

Either way, its either gonna be an epic giveaway, or just a give away of stuff they gave away at earlier times, like uniforms.

As a long time player, even if i already have it, i appreciate it. What other game gives away stuff in appreciation, you DO NOT have to work for?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    And BTW the P2p players get bonuses from the bat free to play players dont get, thats your reward for paying... You get vet rewards as well for how long you played.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well, I think that everytime a hungry person is fed (food, not federation) a meal should be provided to people who already ate. That's only fair, afterall... Yes, it's sarcasm

The whole hungry/starving person angle has no relevance. Just there to tug at our hearts, awwww. :((And players have no hearts when it comes to free booty!) :D And it's a bad analogy all the way around...

...it's more like... 10 people go to a restaurant and 9 pay for their meal but the 10th person gets his meal for free, because it was 'free first meal day!' And add in that the other 9 have been eating (and paying) there for years and that helped keep the restaurant in business and the 10th guy just started eating there today. 10th guy says "Wow, this place is awesome!" Well, no kidding, you just got a free meal. :D
  • Options
    fraethirfraethir Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And don't get confused with the DS9 bundle, which is still 2500zen.
    I went to the tailor to see if I had it, found one DS9 uniform, but two others still had a price attached (DS9 admiral, and DS9 open neck?). And the DS9 bundle itself if you're not in the parts menu still ran 2500.

Assuming that's WAI and it wasn't supposed to be all the DS9 uniform pieces.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The whole hungry/starving person angle has no relevance. Just there to tug at our hearts, awwww. :((And players have no hearts when it comes to free booty!) :D And it's a bad analogy all the way around...

...it's more like... 10 people go to a restaurant and 9 pay for their meal but the 10th person gets his meal for free, because it was 'free first meal day!' And add in that the other 9 have been eating (and paying) there for years and that helped keep the restaurant in business and the 10th guy just started eating there today. 10th guy says "Wow, this place is awesome!" Well, no kidding, you just got a free meal. :D

Actually if you read some of the comments they are in the lines of "why are you giving away things that I already have?", so it's not 10 people going to the same restaurant at the same time and 1 not paying. It's really those 9 who already ate and left the restaurant complaining why is the 10th person's meal free while they aren't hungry anymore.
  • Options
    fraethirfraethir Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If you're not seeing it, you have. Visit the tailor and take a look :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I presume the other two "DS9" tops that show at the tailor are not included in this offer (nor is the large and expensive DS9 bundle). :) If so, it's all good and working. If the DS9 admiral and DS9 open neck(?) was supposed to be in there as well as the base jacket, it's not working.
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I hope that tomorrow's free item is a T5 Constitution class starship. That would be sweet. (Please note that I do not give a TRIBBLE about your fat Aunt Connie with the hairy mole on her upper lip. I don't care that she gives you gum.)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Actually if you read some of the comments they are in the lines of "why are you giving away things that I already have?", so it's not 10 people going to the same restaurant at the same time and 1 not paying. It's really those 9 who already ate and left the restaurant complaining why is the 10th person's meal free while they aren't hungry anymore.

Why assume they aren't hungry anymore? Maybe they could only afford a couple things off the Dollar Menu while the 10th guy got a T-bone steak for free? :D

True on the singular view/expectation. Person X went to the restaurant expecting to pay for his meal, and did so. Nothing 'bad' happened to person X. If Person Y got a free meal and X didn't know, he'd have no reason to feel cheated. Unfortunately, we do know that some 'other people' got 'something' for free and it's just human nature to feel slighted by not getting 'something' too. Something like...Exhibit A :D
  • Options
    azyurionazyurion Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    YOu people are awesome! Thanks for the give aways! I'm going to reward you all by renewing my subscription.
  • Options
    azyurionazyurion Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I hope that tomorrow's free item is a T5 Constitution class starship. That would be sweet. (Please note that I do not give a TRIBBLE about your fat Aunt Connie with the hairy mole on her upper lip. I don't care that she gives you gum.)

Let's give it up for ABC (already been chewed) gum!!! Fat Aunt Connie? I get the impression you might prefer my Dirty Uncle Ody...pssst...run if he starts talking about docking bays and manipulator arms...<shivers>
  • Options
    bhthephoenixbhthephoenix Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    fraethir wrote: »
    I presume the other two "DS9" tops that show at the tailor are not included in this offer (nor is the large and expensive DS9 bundle). :) If so, it's all good and working. If the DS9 admiral and DS9 open neck(?) was supposed to be in there as well as the base jacket, it's not working.

To get the DS9 open uniform you have to buy the open uniform bundle I believe. To get the admiral uniform you have to buy that separate. The ds9 uniform unlocks only the shirt and Next Gen combadge
  • Options
    bhthephoenixbhthephoenix Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Tomorrow will not be a t5 ship as the rewards get more expensive as the week goes on. I do expect a low level t5 ship on Friday though.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    What I am seeing is a bunch of people throwing a tantrum because they want something for free with said thing had been brought by them in the past so they think they are entitled to get something else for free, this behavior is childish and immature and quite frankly its disgusting.

You have >1800 posts here, so I'm not surprised that you didn't say you were shocked by the behavior. :D
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I hope that tomorrow's free item is a T5 Constitution class starship.

Can tomorrow's gift be a lifetime ban on people who ask for a T5 Connie, please? :D
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    . . .

What I am seeing is a bunch of people throwing a tantrum because they want something for free with said thing had been brought by them in the past so they think they are entitled to get something else for free, this behavior is childish and immature and quite frankly its disgusting.

. . .

ENTITLED . . . kinda describes how many people act in this day and age . . .
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wow, don't listen to these crazy people. Just fix the Split Bottom Pants, please. And while you're at it, give male characters their Soft Boots back. So far, you've successfully destroyed all the canon costumes by means of these two little flies in our ointment.

And if Friday's prize is a Risian Corvette, I swear to Zeus, I'll quit STO forever, and dedicate my entire life to protesting every company involved on a global scale. I'll wear a Guy Fawkes mask and everything. That was one hell of a grind.
    Greenbird
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Why assume they aren't hungry anymore? Maybe they could only afford a couple things off the Dollar Menu while the 10th guy got a T-bone steak for free? :D

True on the singular view/expectation. Person X went to the restaurant expecting to pay for his meal, and did so. Nothing 'bad' happened to person X. If Person Y got a free meal and X didn't know, he'd have no reason to feel cheated. Unfortunately, we do know that some 'other people' got 'something' for free and it's just human nature to feel slighted by not getting 'something' too. Something like...Exhibit A :D

LOL for the video!
    I assume they are at least less hungry. I've been playing for nearly two years, now. I need much less stuff than back then.
    The free stuff is cool, but in realistic terms I will get very little out of it or at least less than newer players, I suppose. I already have my officers with the costumes I want. Already tried a whole variety of ships and so on. A new player can make more of it than I.
    And I am not saying that it's not legitimate for "older" players to also want stuff, I just think there's no reason to get upset when the free stuff is something they already have.
    This is not very different from buying a game at launch or waiting a few months. You get it at launch you pay full price. Wait and you can get it half or a third the original price.
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Love it, knew it was gonna be this one, the uniform that was widely available from Collectors editions, various store promotions and even a lockbox (And for a while plenty on the exchange)...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    theonetruetomtheonetruetom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This one had me worried, since I only have one character of each faction and my Fed had already used the Outfit Box - DS9 Uniform Set. Long story short, I found the Deep Space 9 Uniform to be "Available" at a "100% Discount" and used "Claim" to get the account-wide unlock. I'll go look at the Tailor later and see if it unlocked anything new.

Thanks! :D

Is it odd that I broke that up as COMPLAINS WEAR BEEF?

I parsed it as "Complains, Wear Beef, Sulk"
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    And if Friday's prize is a Risian Corvette, I swear to Zeus, I'll quit STO forever,

Dibbs on your stuff! (at least I'll get something for free if you're right) ;)
  • Options
    dmetrikepidmetrikepi Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hey guys... You're all getting bent out over $5 or a couple weeks of grinding DOFFs everyday for 15 minutes tops to aquire the prize here. Meanwhile, on the other hand, you're going to have 3 days where you're pulling down 3 free ships (well, a fighter/shuttle and 2 star ships).

Klingon guys, I have a Klingon Character, too. Guess what? He's a Dilithium factory. The Klingon Characters are such Dilithium factories that soon I'll have an account bank soley based on bankrolling dilithium to Zen for a few weeks work grinding DOFFs (and no, it's not via Romulan Fleetmarks. So there's yet another way to earn your dilithium, and therefore Zen). It's so easy, if you haven't figured out how to do it, that's your own fault. Now, this doesn't mean Klingon Characters are less valuable players, but they have less stuff for sale in the Zen store and greater access to dilithium therefore Zen.

Lifers, hey I get you have this uniform. I didn't. Have I bought stuff out of the Z store before? Yeah! So I'm not getting anything here that I wouldn't have in a few weeks if I really wanted it. But guess what, for guys who just joined in the last couple months, they may not be able to get that really nice ship they're giving away Friday. So for the guy who isn't a level 50 Vice Admiral or equivalent and is playing F2P and we're not hearing from him because he's grinding through season 2 at level 20ish this little gift today is going to go a long way, and isn't nearly as nice as the nearly double level toy you'll prolly get Friday.

Guys who don't get anything all week paid a lifetime subscription and have earned or bought your way through, sorry to hear that. That's how luck goes. But keep in mind, it's stuff you already have and you can get all that stuff by continuing to play a game you already love playing, and you show you love it by continuing to play it... So really, how out are you?

As for Cryptic/PW, thank you guys for my new DS9 uniform, even if I get nothing else out of the promotion, I think it's a good deal... You know, something for free.
This discussion has been closed.