What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Borg Faction

1235»

Comments

• dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    No actually, yes.

And as others have reported and confirmed the devs themselves have said the only way it would be done is as a Liberated Borg faction.

Note that I did not comment on whether the devs were willing to go with a Borg Borg faction.
    LOL!

This can be an easy alternative

Give LTS members access to a small Liberated Borg community/zone (much like the Captains Table but only for Lib. Borg) that has access to a Borg Vendor. This zone could also give access to Borg DOff missions as well as a special Liberated Borg Rep mini game.

This vendor could sell items for Lobi

Borg ships like the Probe, Sphere and Diamond
    Borg Ground Weapons that would replace your arm
    Borg outfits for you and your crew as well as infected skin options and Implants
    Borg DOffs
    Borg BOffs
    Borg Space Weapons

You're repeating yourself. :P

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • trekthestarstrekthestars Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dalolorn wrote: »
    You're repeating yourself. :P

I know I'm sorry, I got excited! :o
    Hey all my old posts are gone! :/

• alikainalikain Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    @trekthestars;
    @hypl;

I mean really you guys want the Borg faction that bad, than in that case I to want the iconians since in the show it was never made clear whether they were evil faction. But your Borg was made so. While we at the subjects of asking for faction cryptic please add the Sphere builder to it, I wouldn't my them too.
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
    edited August 2013
    I certainly wouldn't turn something like that down, but I'd be happy if they just gave lifers a different unique character/race to replace the one we'd be sharing with everyone if they added a Lib Borg faction.

Wow good idea, (your suggestion of a unique race) maybe if they did do a mini faction, Lifers would get the option of playing as the original Borg race.

@alikain

I'm open to suggestions on how that can work. As for the Borg, I have seen many Lib. Borg players (myself included) with Borg BOffs and Borg tech all over our ships. Giving some expansion to that is not like asking for what you're asking for.

• xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    LOL!

Give LTS members access to a small Liberated Borg community/zone (much like the Captains Table but only for Lib. Borg) that has access to a Borg Vendor. This zone could also give access to Borg DOff missions as well as a special Liberated Borg Rep mini game.

Borg outfits for you and your crew as well as infected skin options and Implants
    Borg DOffs
    Borg BOffs
    Borg Space Weapons

I actually like this idea. Would also boost sales for the LTS, but also keep the liberated borg unique to the LTS. Nice
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    No, I want to fly a Borg ship cause I love the Borg.

I quoted only this part, because this is what I consider to be important.
    You say you love the Borg and threrefore really want to play as one. That's ok. But do you realize that the Borg Cryptic would give you will not be Borg at all? And you say you're fine with that interpretation of Borg. I don't understand that. :confused:

The Borg that you'll get in STO:

- Will not behave like a Borg, it will behave like a freedom fighter.
    - Will not be an intimidating appearance, it will be your Edward Scissorhands that wears a purple dress or a tuxedo.
    - Will not be allowed to assimilate stuff, because assimilating is bad and these are nice Borgs.
    - Will not talk like a Borg, it will talk like Tovan Khev. :P
    - Won't do Borgish stuff in game, it will do Starfleet stuff and everyone will call you Starfleet.
    - The ship you'll be given comand of will not resemble Borg ships in any way. Can you imagine a playable Borg cube in terms of STO balance? It will have a turn rate of 1.5 and the best weapon equipment for it will be 8 beams. In STO that means something for JHAS, Defiant and such. pilots to target practice on, a victim vessel. Nothing can be more far away from the actuall Borg cube we saw on screen.

I don't want to make this too long, I think you get my point. That's why I said that you only want to fly a Borg ship. Because once Cryptic turns the Borg into mush so they can fit them into Fed/KDF alliances there won't be much Borg left in them.
    So you'll basically be left with your everyday char that is nothing like a Borg, flying a ship that is not even a proper Borg ship, but a geometrical shape with weak stats compared to what it's suposed to be.
    My opinion is that there is no point of turning the most frighening advesaries in Star Trek into a everyday joke only for this.
    hypl wrote: »
    I'd like to play as Borg. You know, REAL Borg. Not rebel or liberated "I'M AN INDIVIDUAL NOW HERP DERP" Borg.

There will be no alliances with other factions. You play as the enemy. Everyone will hate you and try to destroy you.

You can fly a multitude of Borg ships (not hard to come up with since they're just generic shapes). Orientation UI elements would be added so you can easily discern what direction your ship is facing. From probes to sphere to cubes, to that oddly shaped vessel from Descent, Borg ships under a player's control will be very powerful and difficult to destroy. A unique function of flying a Borg vessel is the ability to target more than one enemy, up to about 5 at one time. Firepower is divided amongst the ships you target, meaning you'll do much more damage to a single vessel. Borg vessels have much higher power levels as well.

The introduction of a Borg faction would also mean rebalancing to Borg space NPC's, making them much more powerful and threatening. Aside from special exceptions, players will no longer encounter cubes on their own. Cubes are meant to be powerful dreadnought-types that require multiple players to take down.

Red Alerts would also be changed. As Borg, you can visit the Alpha and Beta Quadrants and instigate Red Alerts to challenge Fed/KDF/Rom players for control of a sector block. The Borg won't have the freedom to roam past these sector blocks unless they've been taken over, but they will have several entry points from the Delta Quadrant in order to begin their takeovers. If the Borg win, they will be rewarded for their efforts and Borg NPC patrols will wander the sector for a while, pulling players of other factions into combat if encountered, just like old school DSE's! Fed/Rom/KDF have the option to free the sector block of Borg control. This can be done through destroying Borg patrols, system space and ground combat, and with doff assignments, all of which contribute to a sector block progress bar that, when filled, will free that sector block.

The Borg campaign would take place during the "recovery" period after the Borg transwarp network was destroyed by Voyager. A new Queen has emerged to take control of the Borg Collective, which has been thrown into chaos. You will play as a drone of Unimatrix 0047, chosen by the Queen to help regain control of the Collective, rebuild the transwarp network, and assimilate more species and systems into the Collective in preparation for an assault on the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. During the campaign you will encounter many familiar Delta Quadrant species, and assimilate them and their technology!

Borg gameplay would be based on conquest in the Alpha, Beta, and Delta Quadrant (Gamma if we ever can play as Dominion) and would be quite different than what we're used too, incorporating 4X game elements in addition to standard gameplay. Instead of exploring clusters of systems, your goal would be to assimilate those systems and maintain control and "order" of all the territory you have conquered for the Borg Queen. It becomes increasingly difficult as you expand. Find new systems, new species to assimilate (which become playable as you unlock them!), new technologies and equipment to unlock for your character. The possibilities are endless.

Anyway, just a few ideas of what I'd like to see for a Borg faction. :rolleyes:

Now for example - this makes sense to me. I'll be honest - I don't like a Borg faction in STO in any format, but I can understand what hypl is saying here and even come to accept a Borg adition in this model. Because it at least tries to stay true to what the Borg are suposed to represent.
    The only problem is, Cryptic is not going to allow it this way.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    LOL!

Borg DOffs
    Borg BOffs
    Borg Space Weapons
    It's a good idea. And probably the closest we'd ever get to a true Borg faction.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited September 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    I quoted only this part, because this is what I consider to be important.
    You say you love the Borg and threrefore really want to play as one. That's ok. But do you realize that the Borg Cryptic would give you will not be Borg at all? And you say you're fine with that interpretation of Borg. I don't understand that. :confused:

The Borg that you'll get in STO:

- Will not behave like a Borg, it will behave like a freedom fighter.
    - Will not be an intimidating appearance, it will be your Edward Scissorhands that wears a purple dress or a tuxedo.
    - Will not be allowed to assimilate stuff, because assimilating is bad and these are nice Borgs.
    - Will not talk like a Borg, it will talk like Tovan Khev. :P
    - Won't do Borgish stuff in game, it will do Starfleet stuff and everyone will call you Starfleet.
    - The ship you'll be given comand of will not resemble Borg ships in any way. Can you imagine a playable Borg cube in terms of STO balance? It will have a turn rate of 1.5 and the best weapon equipment for it will be 8 beams. In STO that means something for JHAS, Defiant and such. pilots to target practice on, a victim vessel. Nothing can be more far away from the actuall Borg cube we saw on screen.

I don't want to make this too long, I think you get my point. That's why I said that you only want to fly a Borg ship. Because once Cryptic turns the Borg into mush so they can fit them into Fed/KDF alliances there won't be much Borg left in them.
    So you'll basically be left with your everyday char that is nothing like a Borg, flying a ship that is not even a proper Borg ship, but a geometrical shape with weak stats compared to what it's suposed to be.
    My opinion is that there is no point of turning the most frighening advesaries in Star Trek into a everyday joke only for this.

You've made some extremely valid points here! I agree ... it would be some unique Crytpic form of the Borg, much like the Romulans (I love the new Romulans btw even though I would rather play as the TNG/DS9 ones). I've always played my Liberated Borgs with the idea of being just that, a liberated Borg. I have liberated Borg crew, I use Borg tech and I fight the Borg (I don't like the idea of a purple tux Borg though haha). I do love the idea of a liberated Borg colony, with just some basic hints of Borg tech and the idea that they want to build their own home, it has been done before in Trek. I would even be happy with my other suggestion of adding an LTS Lib Borg zone for current Lib. Borg players.

Thank you for the constructive criticism, like you, I want a better game for us all.

It's a good idea. And probably the closest we'd ever get to a true Borg faction.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I could see this working pretty well.

I actually like this idea. Would also boost sales for the LTS, but also keep the liberated borg unique to the LTS. Nice

Thanks! I agree :D

• devtrackerdevtracker Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Regarding the "lack of individuality", its called "ficiton". We are not really Starfleet captain, we are not really Klingon warriors, and we are not really Romulan hippies. It is all make believe, and make believing we were Borg would be no different.

Regarding Borg being "overpowered"...play the game much? You can already solo a cube, so the devs have already set the precedent that the Borg in STO are no stronger than the other factions in game. There is no reason to assume playable Borg would be any stronger.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ok heres a brief but to the point summary of this topic

Borg Faction

Players : Yes Please?

Cryptic : Idk this could be alot of work

PWE : Can you place a tactical cube in a lock box?

CBS : Not going to happen

Players : :( -- :mad:
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ok heres a brief but to the point summary of this topic

Borg Faction

Players : Yes Please?

Cryptic : Idk this could be alot of work

PWE : Can you place a tactical cube in a lock box?

CBS : Not going to happen

Players : :( -- :mad:

I find your signature funny, cause the romulan speaking in that pic later became Gul Dukat.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • robotictamponrobotictampon Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Congratulations, Borg that aren't connected to a hive mind already exist in the game. You get them by purchasing an LTS.
    you can play as a borg as a species but not as a faction. you don't get borg ships, you don't get a borg story, you don't get anything. you are still just part of the federation, your just playing as a borg.
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    you can play as a borg as a species but not as a faction. you don't get borg ships, you don't get a borg story, you don't get anything. you are still just part of the federation, your just playing as a borg.

which is how it should be.
    Fringe idea incoming, you play initially play as a lone borg survivor of a crashed probe, you immediately assimilate a few aliens and "link up." Now your crew is essentially "you" all acting as one individual.

As you level through the borg faction story, you find derelict ships that you commandeer and repair.

You get a cube or tactical cube at max rank...

i don't see this working out at all unless this is a strictly solo faction...
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree