test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Borg Faction

Comments

• captainleavittcaptainleavitt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    for the love of god NO BORG FACTIONS FRACTIONS OR WHATEVER!!! we don't need esd litered with borg cubes!!!
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    A Borg faction is utterly silly.

Just, no.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    a3001 wrote: »

A thread asking for a Liberated Borg faction is completely different than a thread asking for Necromancers in Star Trek. There is some merit to the Liberated Borg faction especially if it is done in the same manner as the Romulan faction, but there is absolutely no merit to Necromancers in Star Trek. Might work in Warhammer 40,000, but this is not Warhammer 40,000 and should stay far away from that gaming system. Don't have anything wrong with it, but Star Trek and Warhammer 40,000 don't mix at all.
  • hiveman5hiveman5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wack, Wack, Wack! It ain't moving George. That's because its dead. Your beating a dead horse again Junior! What do you expect it to do?

In seriousness, as much as 'some' of us would like to see a Borg Faction of sorts, including me, its not in the cards anytime soon, maybe late 2014 or more likely 2015, assuming they decide to go with it. Also its not going to be what people are hoping for.

Personally if there is a Borg faction, it will be liberated "Borg Cooperative/Hugh" Borg. They will have there own story through level 25-33, and sometime around level 8-10 'ally' with the Federation or KDF. It saves the developers work, we still get our Borg faction or at least 'half faction', and no having to build up fresh starbases from scratch. Basically extremely similar to exactly how the Romulan Republic worked, but instead with a 'Borg-Like' feel, rather then a Romulan one, with Borg Techs and powers, though limited due to not being part of the Collective.

Also if they just allow the Liberated Borgs they have now, be able to wear full Borg Implant/armor Bodysuits I'd be a happy camper. Not much to ask, its already in game, both the 'new' style and 'classic' style. Do that and a lot of people will stop bringing this up, as most people just want more of a 'Borg Look', more then just a few facial implants.

My 2 cents on this whole Borg thing as it stands.
    The Galaxy needs you to fight the Iconians and their Heralds in order to protect our interests and freedoms in the Galaxy. Join the fight in the Herald/Iconian War today! :cool:
    edited August 2013
    hiveman5 wrote: »
    Wack, Wack, Wack! It ain't moving George. That's because its dead. Your beating a dead horse again Junior! What do you expect it to do?

In seriousness, as much as 'some' of us would like to see a Borg Faction of sorts, including me, its not in the cards anytime soon, maybe late 2014 or more likely 2015, assuming they decide to go with it. Also its not going to be what people are hoping for.

Personally if there is a Borg faction, it will be liberated "Borg Cooperative/Hugh" Borg. They will have there own story through level 25-33, and sometime around level 8-10 'ally' with the Federation or KDF. It saves the developers work, we still get our Borg faction or at least 'half faction', and no having to build up fresh starbases from scratch. Basically extremely similar to exactly how the Romulan Republic worked, but instead with a 'Borg-Like' feel, rather then a Romulan one, with Borg Techs and powers, though limited due to not being part of the Collective.

Also if they just allow the Liberated Borgs they have now, be able to wear full Borg Implant/armor Bodysuits I'd be a happy camper. Not much to ask, its already in game, both the 'new' style and 'classic' style. Do that and a lot of people will stop bringing this up, as most people just want more of a 'Borg Look', more then just a few facial implants.

My 2 cents on this whole Borg thing as it stands.

Yup. The earliest I see a Liberated Borg faction happening is 2015. One year to complete the Cardassian mini-faction and another year to complete the Liberated Borg mini-faction. Although, I can easily see it going past 2015 and expect it to happen after 2015.
  • fredscarranfredscarran Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Do you even feel like you're in a faction now? You go into an STF and it's a circus.

There's a half Romulan half Borg ship thing.
    A Federation ship with neon highlights shooting fireworks.
    A strange Klingon carrier ships with smokey flames coming out the back.
    A Cardassian Galor with borg doo-dads sticking ou the front.
    And last but not least a Tholian bug ship.

Add up the min/maxers and those wanting to be a special little snowflake....how can anyone possibly declare, "I'm in a faction"?
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,866 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Some people are so cheap that they want a faction so they don't have to buy a LTS to play a Liberated Borg? I know not everyone has this reason but I'm sure a fair bit do.

Who is this faction going to be comprised of? Hugh's Borg? A few disorganized former drones? Unimatrix Zero...which is basically a dream world? The Cooperative...a few Liberated Borg in the middle of nowhere who showed no interest in moving beyond their community and didn't have any space capable vessels when Voyager left and very well could of been found if the Borg went looking for the cube?
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    for the love of god NO BORG FACTIONS FRACTIONS OR WHATEVER!!! we don't need esd litered with borg cubes!!!

Agreed. Plus, the whole Borg concept is boring now. It's bad enough seeing a bunch of players with no imagination sticking Borg parts on their cartoon-character avatars as it is.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Do you even feel like you're in a faction now? You go into an STF and it's a circus.

There's a half Romulan half Borg ship thing.
    A Federation ship with neon highlights shooting fireworks.
    A strange Klingon carrier ships with smokey flames coming out the back.
    A Cardassian Galor with borg doo-dads sticking ou the front.
    And last but not least a Tholian bug ship.

Add up the min/maxers and those wanting to be a special little snowflake....how can anyone possibly declare, "I'm in a faction"?
    ^^This!^^

So sad, but so very true...:(
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Some people are so cheap that they want a faction so they don't have to buy a LTS to play a Liberated Borg? I know not everyone has this reason but I'm sure a fair bit do.

Who is this faction going to be comprised of? Hugh's Borg? A few disorganized former drones? Unimatrix Zero...which is basically a dream world? The Cooperative...a few Liberated Borg in the middle of nowhere who showed no interest in moving beyond their community and didn't have any space capable vessels when Voyager left and very well could of been found if the Borg went looking for the cube?

^^And also this!^^

There already is a Lib.Borg faction, it's called LTS & long time Gold subscribers.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • seanftdseanftd Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just read some of an old thread about a playable Borg faction I for one would like to see this happen it does not need to be a liberated Borg faction either. I quite like the idea of playing as a drone with a number and no individuality that is what the Borg are about right I want to serve the queen :)

Aw really? You can't be serious can you? I don't see how playing as a drone would be entertaining or enjoyable . I like having a slight free will we do in game.
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    seanftd wrote: »
    I like having a slight free will we do in game.

You really think we have "Free will" ???

In game or otherwise, I hate to do this, but free will is an illusion.

I will stick to the game for now (as this is the games forums and all), but please show me where and how we have "Free will" ??

Right from the start, you're told what to do. If you do not do it, you do not gain xp and do not level up. The only choice you get, is if you kill npcs with your ranged weapon or close combat weapons/ bare fists.... not much of a choice really is it.

This is a linear game, no matter what you do you end up in the same place each and every time. Free will would say you do not have to end up there - but as free will does not exist, neither do the optional outcomes.

All adding Borg to the game would do, is change the skins of what we look at - the game itself would be the same and so would the outcomes put in place for us.
    edited August 2013
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    You really think we have "Free will" ???

In game or otherwise, I hate to do this, but free will is an illusion.

I will stick to the game for now (as this is the games forums and all), but please show me where and how we have "Free will" ??

Right from the start, you're told what to do. If you do not do it, you do not gain xp and do not level up. The only choice you get, is if you kill npcs with your ranged weapon or close combat weapons/ bare fists.... not much of a choice really is it.

This is a linear game, no matter what you do you end up in the same place each and every time. Free will would say you do not have to end up there - but as free will does not exist, neither do the optional outcomes.

All adding Borg to the game would do, is change the skins of what we look at - the game itself would be the same and so would the outcomes put in place for us.

Considering that there are numerous ways to get to level 50 in this game than just doing missions, Free Will is not an illusion. As proof, I got a Fed character to level 50 with the only fight she was in was during the Tutorial. She accomplished this by doing explore missions and warping out when any of them had a red dot on the mini-map and duty officer assignments. The Foundry makes you able to do whatever content you want so it is only linear if you want it to be.
  • fredscarranfredscarran Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    MMORPG's have devolved to the point where they are neither Role Playing games or Massively Multiplayer games.

It started out with Ultima Online and it's been going downhill ever since.

It even bothered me in WOW. "Hey are there any all Gnome guilds out there I can join? I'm playing a Gnome, I wanna do stuff with other Gnomes."

Oh no you can't do that cause of the way classes/races are balanced. The way MMORPG classes/races are structured actually prevents roleplaying to absolute zero. The absolute minimum in roleplaying is your character's race/faction; and we don't even have that in MMORPG's.
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Considering that there are numerous ways to get to level 50 in this game than just doing missions, Free Will is not an illusion. As proof, I got a Fed character to level 50 with the only fight she was in was during the Tutorial. She accomplished this by doing explore missions and warping out when any of them had a red dot on the mini-map and duty officer assignments. The Foundry makes you able to do whatever content you want so it is only linear if you want it to be.

If you had free will, you'd 1 - 50 WITHOUT any fighting what so ever.

Come back to me, when the game does not force 1 single action on you - not 1 fight, not 1 scanning mission, not 1 trade mission, come back to me when you're not forced in to anything and you choose how to start the game and how to play it every step of the way.

The only game I've ever heard of that you have real, true free will in was Second Life. This is not that game

[Edit] Love to see how you are going to gain end game gear without fighting / killing - hope you like the Aegis set, as it is the only one your going to get lol
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Come back to me, when the game does not force 1 single action on you - not 1 fight, not 1 scanning mission, not 1 trade mission, come back to me when you're not forced in to anything and you choose how to start the game and how to play it every step of the way.

The only game I've ever heard of that you have real, true free will in was Second Life. This is not that game

[Edit] Love to see how you are going to gain end game gear without fighting / killing - hope you like the Aegis set, as it is the only one your going to get lol

*facepalm*
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited August 2013

[Edit] Love to see how you are going to gain end game gear without fighting / killing - hope you like the Aegis set, as it is the only one your going to get lol[/QUOTE]

What is the point of end game gear if you never get into a fight? And cosmetics is not a reason.

I played a character that was completely traumatized from fighting the Borg in the tutorial so she ran away from every fight. Without that motivation, then she would have been less of a character. Without motivation, then a character is just a bunch of pixels that you control.
  • havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Did your character make it through the storyline? My first time through I was dumb and had the difficulty on elite.

You ever try and free that assimilated undine, by yourself, on elite, with green and blue mk x's ? I don't know about my character, but I was pretty traumatized after that debacle.

bonus: I don't think there's a limit on how many injuries your captain can receive.
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    - drone with a number
    - no individuality
    - I want to serve

Thats not the Borg faction, thats the government employee faction. Welcome to the corporate world :P
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited August 2013

You have the choice of choosing not to play the game at all. This game is based around combat, we all know it, and you can back out of it if you want.

Or, you can play the game and go chill at Drozana.

Your choice.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,866 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    MMORPG's have devolved to the point where they are neither Role Playing games or Massively Multiplayer games.

It started out with Ultima Online and it's been going downhill ever since.

It even bothered me in WOW. "Hey are there any all Gnome guilds out there I can join? I'm playing a Gnome, I wanna do stuff with other Gnomes."

Oh no you can't do that cause of the way classes/races are balanced. The way MMORPG classes/races are structured actually prevents roleplaying to absolute zero. The absolute minimum in roleplaying is your character's race/faction; and we don't even have that in MMORPG's.

Nope...its not the class/race balance as much as guilds built around a single race usually pretty small and they fail. I used to be in a *Worgen* guild with some friends on my Worgen and we were forced to go all races to actually get some size.

Besides we have nothing like that in STO...any race can be any class and you don't see many fleets that are only of a single race. The only one I can actually name is Fersan Shadow Force.

So I don't know what you're really talking about.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We Are The Borg. Lower Your Shields And Surrender Your Ships. Your Technological And Biological Distinctiveness Will Be Added To Our Own. You Will Adapt Yourself To Service The Collective. Our Survival Is Your Survival. You Will Be Assimilated. Resistance Is Futile.
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We Are The Borg. Lower Your Shields And Surrender Your Ships. Your Technological And Biological Distinctiveness Will Be Added To Our Own. You Will Adapt Yourself To Service The Collective. Our Survival Is Your Survival. Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated.
    That's the same thing my Lib Borg Captain said to Admiral Quinn. Then Quinn bytch-slapped him and gave him command of a Miranda. It's been all up hill ever since. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    That's the same thing my Lib Borg Captain said to Admiral Quinn. Then Quinn bytch-slapped him and gave him command of a Miranda. It's been all up hill ever since. :)
    Hahaha I lol'd so hard. XD
    Thx for the laugh. :D
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    it's an awful idea. any kinda borg faction would just simply weaken and devalue the name of the borg. which is without doubt 1 of star treks greatest foes. a foe that manages to unite all other factions despite their differences to avoid total annihilation. that is rare and should be treated as such.
    edited August 2013
    havokreign wrote: »
    Did your character make it through the storyline? My first time through I was dumb and had the difficulty on elite.

You ever try and free that assimilated undine, by yourself, on elite, with green and blue mk x's ? I don't know about my character, but I was pretty traumatized after that debacle.

bonus: I don't think there's a limit on how many injuries your captain can receive.

She did most of the non-combat missions, but I wanted to create a complete Pacifist for at least one character. So no, she didn't go through the storyline since that involves combat to complete most missions. My other characters have done most of the missions. She doesn't get much use anymore and last time I used her was when those Instant Foundry Dailies were available that gave 50 Fleet Marks. My other 3 Captains, one from each faction, are in the standard fearless Captain mold that laugh in the face of danger.

But yeah, killing the Assimilated Undine on Elite would be difficult. Especially, when those annoying Borg nodes were there.
  • jozko8888jozko8888 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    STORY : delta quadrant is under attack by species 8472. One alien has been assimilated, now you are a new Borg drone was send by Borg Queen from Unicomplex. The Borg collective is under attack unknown species The UNDINE and you must/have stop them!

EPISODES : 1.STRONG ENEMY (species 8472 attackers , end-player close transdimesional gate) 2.SECOND POWER (Borg is under attack the Dominion , end - Borgs destroy their army) 3.WE ARE THE BORG (war between Borgs - Federation and Klingons)
    4. HIDDEN ENEMY (Romulan s. empire use new weapons against Borg col.)
    5. ? . . . etc

OPENING VIDEO : On one planed was be assimilated some alien(human) and now he becomming be a Borg drone - in tutorial you are not fully drone only half and learn assimilating. Your first ship will be Borg Space drone (after probe and other) .

NEW : Borg mind audio (notification,story,battle comments. . .)
    Borg implant-hand weapons and assimilation skill
    Borg Queen character as we know from film (First contact)
    Borg clothes and implants (for Z-store Borg Queen clothes(female) and other. . .
    Borg bridges(rooms) and ships (see picture)
    Sector block with Unicomplex (Borg capital) . . .
    Playable race are Borg (human type) and Borg assimilated alien
    New PvP and PvE mission and new currency system (marks)
    New Borg style sountracks
    At 1-10 levels players can upgrade Borg walk speed
    New war zones where Borg s players fight with other and invasion zones
    and etc . . .

REQUEST : do it pls. BORG COLLECTIVE must be 4. playable faction !!! and not semi-factions how romulan republic but fully faction as FED nad KDF :cool:

borg_logo_wallpaper_by_shatinn-d5dmytk.jpg

Borg_Fleet.png

__...se_(NX-01).jpg

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs8/i/2005/280/4/f/Borg_Cube_2005_by_Magmarama.jpg
  • wayofderawayofdera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Personally, I'd rather not see a playable Borg faction in game, due to the whole premiss of the Borg, being the collective hive mind. If it becomes a playable faction...it would seem to me, to really lose something.

That said, if it was to become playable, I would argue, in contrast, that the Cardassians, and Dominion should be faction 4 & 5, and then start to ponder other further flung factions.
  • roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited August 2013
    wayofdera wrote: »
    Personally, I'd rather not see a playable Borg faction in game, due to the whole premiss of the Borg, being the collective hive mind. If it becomes a playable faction...it would seem to me, to really lose something.

It can be a playable faction without breaking the established premise.

1. Player creates character.
    2. Player has no control over that character, but gets to watch it standing quietly in its alcove for most of the time.
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    roxbad wrote: »
    It can be a playable faction without breaking the established premise.

1. Player creates character.
    2. Player has no control over that character, but gets to watch it standing quietly in its alcove for most of the time.

lol

borg won't fit into the established Red vs Blue set up they have with LoR though, unless you want to play as some kind of liberated borg colony , like the ones we've seen in the Tv series's from time to time

but that will only have you end up picking either fed or kdf, so won;t be what your after anyways
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......