What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tour the Universe cooldown change -- 4 hour cooldown added *now in patch notes*

Comments

• Options
    mindmagemindmage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You people are still whining about the exploit being fixed?

I grinded the 21 mil EC in my account bank from selling all the loot i've collected doing story missions on 5 toons.
    Playing since launch in 2010.
  • Options
    bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited December 2013
    Thread bumping is all that's left for brad. If he doesn't bump this thread at least once a month he runs the risk of necroposting and getting it closed by the mods.

No one but him really cares any more. They've realized the devs aren't going to change their minds on this.

Or perhaps sop is worried the devs will lash out and nerf more of events and goodies he exploits, eh?

btw, thx for keeping it up for me. Besides, you'd miss my witty repartee. :P
  • Options
    captyoung01captyoung01 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Found this out just now after only the first lap. Check it out.

I certainly hope this is a bug from today's patch and not another Craptic stealth nerf.

That is all.

You got the same thing I did, later I would find out that with Season 7 they added a cooldown time as they made Tour The Universe something of a challenge for a player.

I had just create a new toon and was a needing to get more Ec's ASAP, only to find out as you did that was the result. Talk about disappointed in the game, this really took the cake. Along with my disappointment in how Season 8 mostly turned out with Aliens and jumbled together story lines Rep Gears etc. . I am on the verge of just dropping the game completely.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The only people greatly affected by it are the ones with few toons, as for people with lots of toons they can still make good money of it (think 350k per toon for a 3-5min run each). To bad I have only 3 toons to use because heaven forbid I can benefit from it like someone who pays for extra character slots (sarcasm). :rolleyes:
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The only people greatly affected by it are the ones with few toons, as for people with lots of toons they can still make good money of it (think 350k per toon for a 3-5min run each). To bad I have only 3 toons to use because heaven forbid I can benefit from it like someone who pays for extra character slots (sarcasm). :rolleyes:

Even with just three characters making the full run, and an account bank, that still means a cool mil and some change. Not too shabby for just flying around the map.
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,869 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There is always a work around if you give it time...Its actually so much easier than it used to be before if you do it the right way....way to go CRYPTIC :D:D:D
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    edited December 2013
    I haven't done the tour in a while, do you think they fixed their 'accidental nerf' of the speed carryover when time remains on the clock when transitioning between maps?

I mean, you can't do the tour more than once per attempt, but really is there a reason now to limit the ability to finish it faster? :P
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I haven't done the tour in a while, do you think they fixed their 'accidental nerf' of the speed carryover when time remains on the clock when transitioning between maps?

I mean, you can't do the tour more than once per attempt, but really is there a reason now to limit the ability to finish it faster? :P

I am referring of course to the Slip Stream Drive carry-over. any thoughts?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    senselockesenselocke Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This is to address the Tour nerf as a whole. I believe I have a unique perspective on this--I stopped playing in March, only booted up again a few days ago. So I saw the economy as it was with full TTU EC flowing, and as it is now.

A big argument in defense of this nerf/change was that it will somehow reduce the cost of items, bring down inflation, etc.

This is demonstrably untrue.

When I quit playing, the really good Lock Box ships were 80-120 million EC. Master Keys were going for 1.8 million EC. That was with the Tour EC flowing in.

So, it's been five months since this nerf. You'd expect that, without all that extra EC incoming, the prices would have gone down. The cost of Lock Box ships now? 80-120 million EC. Master keys? 1.8 million EC.

The prices are exactly the same on the Exchange for a wide range of items now as they were months before the nerf (and I was racing and saving up for certain items on the Exchange last Christmas).

I just went through a bunch of items. Duty officers cost the same. Keys cost the same. Weapons cost the same. Engines cost the same. Ships cost the same. Consoles cost the same. Meaning that this nerf did absolutely nothing to change or "fix" the in-game economy. All it did was prevent players who weren't already rolling in dough from buying. So the argument that "this will fix the inflated prices" is false.

For the second argument, that of "this was preventing people from buying [zen store items]", this is also illogical. People were buying keys and buying ships. But you can't use ships you don't have room for--so people bought ship slots. Tour money funded Zen purchases. You also can't use the same stats in vastly different ships. People would get bored, buy a new type of ship, and buy respec tokens. Tour money funding Zen purchases. People were also using the Tour EC to pump up their Fleet bases to get Fleet ships. How do you pay for Fleet ships? Modules. Which cost Zen. Again, Tour money buys commodities and items/DOFFs for Fleet projects to get Fleet ships which sell Zen.

So this change slows a lot of that. It also stops people from spending Zen on Oddys specifically to run the Tours. It's clear, to me, that the EC earned was mostly going back into the game for materials, fleets, Reputation, etc--and making Lock Box items worth investing in, so people bought keys to open them hoping to win big...

So inflation? Not fixed. Zen spending has not vastly improved. The Dil Exchange is still around the same levels. The only thing that has changed is that people who really, really enjoyed the simple fun of seeing how many circuits they could finish, and slowly (it really was slowly) building up money for pretty things, has been cut.

This was a pointless, and honestly pretty offensive, change. It doesn't fix anything, but it did take away something that a lot of people really enjoyed. It needs to be rolled back. I think the best solution in the 30+ pages I read was this: Take away the reset timer, and instead reward 10k for the first region, 25k for the second, 50k for the third, 120k for the fourth, 200k for the fifth, etc--ramp up the rewards to make people take the full tour. And who the heck cares if that's the way some people earn their money and spend their time?

I loved the Race. It was something a group of friends and I did to see how well we could do (and even using the "exploit", I could earn 1.4 mil EC, tops--I have no idea how people are talking about 3+ mil). Now, the only thing I still enjoy is space combat--but that gets old.

I know the debate is old, but I've been gone for all of it. Cryptic, can I have my fun race back, please?
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,426 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    senselocke wrote: »
    I know the debate is old, but I've been gone for all of it. Cryptic, can I have my fun race back, please?

The race is the same as it has always been. The only thing that has changed is that it can only be done once during the event.

The race is/was a way for newer players to gather some EC and not something to be exploited by players with builds who could run the universe 4-5 times.

Someone, please put this topic out of its misery and close it already.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    No, the race is not as it's always been. And insisting that it is negates the clear validation of playing the race with speed in mind by offering ships and engines and skills that boost slipstream speed or length, reduce slipstream recharge, increase top speed, reduce transwarp cooldown, and increase Drive Coil stat.

Basically, the way in which they monetized Sector Space travel speed clearly supports the Race as a legitimate means to make money--and it was not an easy out, as many indicate, but took dedication, planning, and work to pull off. The reward matched this. So now, the monetization of this element of the game is at direct odds with the butchering of the event it was based on. The design is, in essence, arguing with itself.

It always was a way for new people to explore the map... but that's not a reason to have it as a repeated event, is it?. The way you're painting it is that it's like a tutorial... that happens every 20 hours. Over, and over, and over. And new players have a heck of a lot less need for EC than level 50 people contributing to Reputation projects and bettering a Fleet.

Now, it's a way to make chump change, and you would be better spent doing anything else in that hour--and players don't need a constant re-familiarization with space (which you wouldn't get during the Tour anyway: you don't have to know what systems are where to complete it, you just have to "paint" sector blocks like so many pixels with the brush of your ship).

Yours is at least a different defense of the nerf than what I was originally replying to, but it's equally illogical.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Logical? your arguments are based on a flawed premise, and thus invalid.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    MODS: PLEASE SHUT THIS **** OFF!

IT IS GETTING SOOOOOoooooo TIRESOME!

Okay ... we get the idea ... you make less EC ... boo whoo

NOW MOVE ON!

Geeez ....
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    No. :P You move on!

We want our Tour Back!

Nerf something of yours instead, like NeverWinter. :P
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Awesome guys for keeping this thread up enuf not to be necroed.

Ohh, and yes, to be on topic ofc:D Bring the tour back as it was before the nerf, it was fun.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A big argument in defense of this nerf/change was that it will somehow reduce the cost of items, bring down inflation, etc.

This is demonstrably untrue.

When I quit playing, the really good Lock Box ships were 80-120 million EC. Master Keys were going for 1.8 million EC. That was with the Tour EC flowing in.

So, it's been five months since this nerf. You'd expect that, without all that extra EC incoming, the prices would have gone down. The cost of Lock Box ships now? 80-120 million EC. Master keys? 1.8 million EC.

The prices are exactly the same on the Exchange for a wide range of items now as they were months before the nerf

All this is pretty much true .
    The only thing that has changed are the costs of the Powered Alien Artifact , but that is due to what gt seemingly replaced by "cheaper" fleet consoles , which if you're looking at the MkXII versions for a few toons , you'll find that they are not cheap at all ... , except before you could buy them with a lot of EC , and now you can buy them with a lot of Dil (converted to Fleet Marks) .

Sooo ... congratulations .
    Cryptic's got you buying/needing more Dill then ever before .
    That\s what you get from a company which cannot help but to double dip every time . Except that between the C-Store , lockboxes and the Dill drive , it's no longer a double dip but a triple dip .
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    All this is pretty much true .
    The only thing that has changed are the costs of the Powered Alien Artifact , but that is due to what gt seemingly replaced by "cheaper" fleet consoles , which if you're looking at the MkXII versions for a few toons , you'll find that they are not cheap at all ... , except before you could buy them with a lot of EC , and now you can buy them with a lot of Dil (converted to Fleet Marks) .

Sooo ... congratulations .
    Cryptic's got you buying/needing more Dill then ever before .
    That\s what you get from a company which cannot help but to double dip every time . Except that between the C-Store , lockboxes and the Dill drive , it's no longer a double dip but a triple dip .

And now, to add insult to injury, users cannot quickly switch to a second or third toon without running the risk of introducing the all white/all black textures missing bug, making it impossible to do the tour without first closing the app and relaunching, nothing else fixes it!

Is anyone still running the tours these days? :(
  • Options
    vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    And now, to add insult to injury, users cannot quickly switch to a second or third toon without running the risk of introducing the all white/all black textures missing bug, making it impossible to do the tour without first closing the app and relaunching, nothing else fixes it!

Is anyone still running the tours these days? :(

Haven't touched it once since they stealth nerfed it.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    vocmcp wrote: »
    Haven't touched it once since they stealth nerfed it.

Looks like you get about 500k for the first toon to run the tour, 300k for the second, and about 1k for the third.

:(
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Looks like you get about 500k for the first toon to run the tour, 300k for the second, and about 1k for the third.

??? Really? So if you do it on the third toon you only get 1k for the entire tour? wow.............
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    vocmcp wrote: »
    ??? Really? So if you do it on the third toon you only get 1k for the entire tour? wow.............

That can't be right, cany double-check?
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014

I overestimated, it's 300k for the first toon, 100k for the second, and about 1-5k ec for the third, how dismally they nerfed the event :rolleyes:
  • Options
    raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That's patently untrue. I ran it twice on toons yesterday, got 350K or so each. I don't know where you're getting the 1K thing from, since you get 50K for clearing a sector - and it shows you in the loot list.

I still run it daily. It's an easy 350K for 15 minutes flying around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That's patently untrue. I ran it twice on toons yesterday, got 350K or so each. I don't know where you're getting the 1K thing from, since you get 50K for clearing a sector - and it shows you in the loot list.

Ah thank you.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Good to know thx! Albeit...... I used to do that 350k in 5 minutes easy......... :sadface:
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm still running this after this 'fix', but what has me wondering now is what the implications of removing the hourly events calendar will be for this event.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Pathetic part is if you have enough Lvl 50 characters, each with Borg engines and high DC, you can still do the partial with each one and make the same amount of money.

But Diplomatic Immunity and Raiding Party are impossible to get now. I used to pick them up on low-level alts to access KDF Exploration Clusters, now no one's around to grant either.

What do you mean "get rid of the hourly event calendar"? Is that going away?

Is there another non-combat chill-and-relaxing way to earn EC? Because getting 1st in certain PvE queues is tedious (get carrier, use Grav Well + Torp Spam, hope someone else isn't doing the same, hope to get good loot, repeat) and Exchange-grinding Doffs sounds like the worst kind of job ever.

I've been playing the game a lot in the last month--I've earned a whopping total of 6 mil EC. Meaning... well, I'll simply never buy anything amazing with EC again.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What do you mean "get rid of the hourly event calendar"? Is that going away?

Here you go:

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1079141
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited January 2014

What???? I did this event a couple of times. In the first time about 2 months ago, i got about 35k EC (i thought by myself, this must be a joke), and in the second one, i received 70k. I definitely stop doing this stupid and useless event ages ago.

So, what is needed to do to receive 300k or more??? because of course, 35k or 70k is just a waste of time. I imagined that a minimum of 150k should be rewarded no matter what. Less than that is just to waste time in this event.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    shpoks wrote: »

...huh.

Y'know, I think I actually read that page already, and didn't notice that. I really dislike "themed weekends" instead of rotations, but I do like things being dailies on my own time schedule.

I kinda okay with all of them just becaming dailies, and Event Weekends would be something uber-special/different.

How the heck are Bonus Marks going to work?

BTW, thank you for the link.
This discussion has been closed.