Install Arc
Options

Guest Blog: Celebrating Diversity in Star Trek

Comments

• Options
    matthian1701matthian1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hootenite wrote: »
    And yet, even with such an open community in STO, when they find out you are a brony, in comes the hate. Can't tell you how many times when myself or one of my fleetmates is known to be a member of our fandom, then come the slurs and derogatory statments by people that think they know us without getting to know us. I understand that this isn't quite the same level of prejudice that true minorities have faced, but just endemic that people fear and retaliate against what they don't understand.

You have my support here. I don't watch any kind of cartoon, but I am a radical supporter of the abstract idea that people get to live their lives in the ways that make them happiest (barring any affect on other people, of course). As such, if you're a Brony, more power to you. Anyone who gives you flak is just a jerk.
  • Options
    naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A good reminder that Star Trek was about more than just fun in space.

(Until it got rebooted...)
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • Options
    roamingmuttroamingmutt Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sjamesh wrote: »
    I'm not one for judging but in my opinion, you should keep this type of stuff to yourself ingame. It sparks a whole bunch of needless debates. While I do respect their choices, you will NOT see me at this event.

Just so we're clear on this. You chose to express your opposition to something because it sparks needless debates by posting a message that will start a needless debate.
  • Options
    zarxidejackozarxidejacko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Figures it only took two pages for junk like this to show up.

Out of respect for the author of this great article, I will refrain from a repeat of the Legacy Pack Giveaway thread. If Stonewall wishes to come in here and educate you on why you are oh so wrong, then they are free to do so.

IDIC

It is his opinion, and it his freedom to speak it.
    With the first link...
    2010 is my join date.
  • Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I concur quite well; but as a Terran, I have always believed that our ancient traditions make us who we are, either way.
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It is his opinion, and it his freedom to speak it.
    With the first link...

Lol, sorry but the constitution ends at Do you agree to these terms yes or no:D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    acarter81acarter81 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Really? is this what Star Trek fans are like, people who don't feel that everyone, everywhere no matter who they are or who they are attracted should not be able to express themselves? Well guys and gals, but posting on here you are expressing yourself... well done for the complete lack of understanding...
  • Options
    lore9200lore9200 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just a bunch of liberal garbage in my opinion. I don't feel the need to wear a tag to announce my sexual orientation/preference to the rest of the world, and this should be removed from games entirely. Since the game is not rated M, special consideration should be given to the kids that play this game. They don't need to know about "LGBT" stuff so early on.

History is neither liberal nor conservative and I respect your need to keep your orientation to yourself. I am an academic and I have to deal with issues like this every day. But, you are in a social environment, and groups of people gather in "Fleets" in this game because of shared life experiences or common bonds. You do not have the right to ask the consumers, manufacturers and publishers of this game to eliminate the social aspect of this or any other game because of your personal discomfort. You are responsible for your own conduct and consumption of this or any other online entertainment.

I can assure you that special consideration is given to children under legal age. PWE and Cryptic policies guide the ToS agreement that we all sign to play this game. Attention is paid to minors who consume this game, but the ultimate responsibility lies with the parents of the minor child. They are responsible for deciding what entertainment the child consumes.

Finally, sexual orientation is a mere fact of life. Parents have struggled with when to have the "birds and bees" talk with their kids from long before either you or I were born. Kids usually get exposed to such things long before most parents think it's appropriate.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with advertising an in game Pride event here. The decision to attend or pay attention to such an event varies from person to person. So you won't attend and you don't agree with it...*shrug.*

I, for one, am pleased that this event was advertised and the blog post was posted. There was nothing explicit or inappropriate about it.
  • Options
    jojobejojobe Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Lt Uhra and has always been my second favorite character under spok next was sulu. I liked the fact of seeing a multi nationality group on star trek. The show main focus was that we are all in it together no matter what race or where you are from and that we all have something to contribute. When they face adversity they are all in it together. You'll either succeed as a team or die together. All other problems that you face are minor. In the great focus of things we are all small fish in big pond but working as a team there is a great chance to overcome large challenges and survive. :)
  • Options
    stratiarstratiar Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Star Trek is a beacon for all humanity to follow. It's why I fell in love with it in the 1960's as a child and why I'm still in love with it today.

I glow with pride and feel tremendous honor towards those who pioneered it and those who kept it alive to this day.

And now my children are carrying the ideals forward with them.

It is good to have something treasured in the fiber of your being that is about a utopian future for your fellow mankind.

My hat is off in respect to all the people and actors involved in Star Trek from the 60's on.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2013
    And yet, even with such an open community in STO, when they find out you are a brony, in comes the hate. Can't tell you how many times when myself or one of my fleetmates is known to be a member of our fandom, then come the slurs and derogatory statments by people that think they know us without getting to know us. I understand that this isn't quite the same level of prejudice that true minorities have faced, but just endemic that people fear and retaliate against what they don't understand.

:::brohoof:::
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    roamingmuttroamingmutt Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It is hard to believe that in the span of a single life time we have gone from "*gasp!* people of two different skin colors kissing and a woman in a position of authority, no way" to a culture of acceptance for people of all different walks of life. We still got a ways to go in that regard but we are moving in the right direction.
  • Options
    redpsirenredpsiren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, looking backs it's easy to forget how groundbreaking Star Trek was at the time it first aired.
  • Options
    asthalothasthaloth Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    An excellent blog.

If only everyone believed Human rights applied to all Humans.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    asthaloth wrote: »
    An excellent blog.

If only everyone believed Human rights applied to all Humans.

What's even more scary is that those same people think oppressing others' civil rights is a justified expression of THEIR OWN religious rights.
  • Options
    darkdeity20xxdarkdeity20xx Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That is what is great about STO.

Forget the fact that this is a game for a moment and entertain the beliefs that are unique amongst all of us.

I may not be able to attend this Pride event but I am happy to hear that it will be celebrated.

Enjoy the experience, Captains.
  • Options
    starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A very well written blog.

I'm pleased that this years Pride Event has gotten the coverage it deserves.

Kudos to Cryptic. :)
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that Bronies are getting hate. I'm not one myself but I've had plenty of hate thrown my way for being an anime fan, so I can understand. Not in STO mind you, we seem to have plenty of anime fans, but in general I mean. You should see how much hate we get over in the Skyrim mod community sometimes. Stuff about how our anime mods butcher and ruin lore lol. I've seen MLP mods over there as well, I'm sure those got ripped on too.

Hell I've had hate thrown my way for being a gamer. Back in the day video games were seen more as a kid's toy than just another form of entertainment. It still feels weird seeing video games being all mainstream now. The same people who used to make fun of me for it came back years later to ask me tips on how to play and be better at games. It was WEEEEEEEEIRD.

Times be changing.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    All of great characters I liked as a kid where all the odd balls,

Nog: he is a lot like me when he is with jake, Jake always charged headlong into danger and Nog would go.....you crazy!!!

Geordi (I can relate to his girl issues..poor guy)

Worf, is the guy I could talk to for HOURS about what it's like being from a different culture and besides Klingons are cool.

Tom Paris was the guy you can have a drink at the bar with and feel like your back at earth again.

My favorite....Data: not only would be make one hell of a wingman, but all the Sherlock Holmes stories, painting. Not to mention trying to out think him in 3d chess.

Tuvok would be the guy you want to go in a STF with.

I could go on forever but they are my top picks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Good luck with your events

And I hope you have a great time

just watch out for bigoted idiots
    there are a LOT more about than you might think

oh and Chekov was of Average intelligence he was the "boy next door" from Russia
    the movie version was made a A+ mind to denigrate the original
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    jacienbluejacienblue Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Gene Roddenberry had a vision of the future. In that future humanity's differences with on another no longer bred conflicts. No one was raised to feel uncomfortable around people who weren't exactly like them.

It is a well-documented fact that Gene Roddenberry wanted a TRIBBLE character portrayed on Star Trek since the beginning. He fought for it on TOS, Phase II and TNG and each time was vetoed by production executives. His son told me that he felt his father would have had no problem with the next Star Trek Captain being TRIBBLE.

That's what Star Trek does, it holds a very stark mirror to our society and eloquently says "look, look at how silly your petty prejudices and misconceptions that you hold so dear truly are."

People who valiantly try to justify their unease with a lifestyle different than their own by wrapping it in high-minded ideals and specious yet well-worded arguments fly in the face of a great man's vision. A vision they spend their time, money and energy supporting which is really kind of ironic. A vision that speaks of a wonderful future where people like that, quite simply no loner exist. Until that day arrives we celebrate what makes us unique, because awareness must be raised and understanding fostered. Then and only then will there no longer be a need for Prides and I look forward to that day.
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm not one for judging but in my opinion, you should keep this type of stuff to yourself ingame. It sparks a whole bunch of needless debates. While I do respect their choices, you will NOT see me at this event.

This. Frankly this is pushing dangerously close to politics, which is a no-no on these forums. To say nothing of how many would consider using a game blog in this kind of manner to be very offensive
    Figures it only took two pages for junk like this to show up.

Out of respect for the author of this great article, I will refrain from a repeat of the Legacy Pack Giveaway thread. If Stonewall wishes to come in here and educate you on why you are oh so wrong, then they are free to do so.

Excuse me? Drop the offensive attitude. Do not tell someone they are 'oh so wrong' just because they do not support the forums being used in such a manner. You are trying to belittle the poster and encouraging others to do so.

See, the funny thing about this whole 'promote tolerance and diversity' thing is it is a good idea, in theory. However it frequently only works one way. You can have a gender pride, a racial pride, a sexual preference pride and nobody will say a thing. Provided you aren't saying 'straight pride' or provided you are anything other than white. Because of course, that would be sexual preference discrimination and racism. Thats why this kind of thing has zero place in this game. Its asking for trouble
    Just a bunch of liberal garbage in my opinion. I don't feel the need to wear a tag to announce my sexual orientation/preference to the rest of the world, and this should be removed from games entirely. Since the game is not rated M, special consideration should be given to the kids that play this game. They don't need to know about "LGBT" stuff so early on.

This. This is not the place for such things

Hate? What hate? You just proved my point. People say they don't want to see this kind of thing in a game, especially one marketed toward younger people, and suddenly you're screaming 'hate' and 'slurs' when nobody said anything remotely like that. You then insult and belittle said people. and you're accusing THEM of hate? Think about that

Thank you for proving my point
    Lol, sorry but the constitution ends at Do you agree to these terms yes or no

No it doesn't. and speaking of terms, this whole thing falls under 'discussing politics' its asking for trouble
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with advertising an in game Pride event here.

Yes there is. It falls under politics. It has no place here. If you want to advertise that or any other event, go ahead, in a more appropriate place. I wonder, would you have said the same thing if the poster had been advertising, say, a straight pride event. Somehow I don't think so
    I, for one, am pleased that this event was advertised and the blog post was posted. There was nothing explicit or inappropriate about it.

Yes there was. Aside from falling under politics, i've been to one of these before, in toronto. Don't tell me there was nothing explicit going on. I'm going to leave it at that as far as that goes.
    :::brohoof:::

That had better not be what it looks like. and it looks like you're supporting that ignorant, offensive, belittling statement, that falsely accuse others of 'slurs' and 'derogatory statements.' You are a company employee, you should know better than that. I sincerely hope that isn't what you were doing there.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    To the guy above me: Some people are TRIBBLE. Deal with it :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/Dt8Xtvc.gif
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Let me see if I can express myself here...

I'm a firm believer that all human life is precious, no matter what their color, gender, age, culture, religion, politics, handicap, how they behave, or what they believe.

I also applaud many of the "firsts" pioneered by Star Trek. Human rights and the dignity and liberty of the individual are important.

I do not, however, appreciate the sexual orientation "bent" of this article or the plug for Stonewall and I don't believe that STO should be portrayed as a showcase for the GLBT community.

Diversity encompasses ALL of us, including those of us who hold different beliefs.

I am very disappointed that PWE allowed and promoted this. We are not allowed to discuss religion or politics or offensive topics on the forums, but this was deemed acceptable?

As my signature states, the above is all my own opinion and does not represent anyone's viewpoint but my own.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    nx751987nx751987 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No matter what the trolls and the negative nancy's have to say, the event will go on and pride will be celebrated like it should be. If you think this has no place in a game, then simply don't attend, it's that easy! I for one, will be there on the front row sending out a salute to everyone in attendance! Nick, you wrote a wonderful article, and eventhough I already stated this on our fleet forums, you have made Stonewall fleet a family, one I am proud to be a part of! Congrats on the article, and thank you Brandon for allowing Stonewall Fleet to be featured in the blog, you truly are an awesome person!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »

I do not, however, appreciate the sexual orientation "bent" of this article or the plug for Stonewall and I don't believe that STO should be portrayed as a showcase for the GLBT community.

A group of people who have equal civil rights denied to them because of who they are? Sounds like prime Star Trek material. :cool:
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I watched an episode, to see if there was something I was missing given how many people seem to love it. And what did I find? It was EXACTLY what I thought it was, something to teach kids like my grandniece good manners and such.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    havam wrote: »
    TRIBBLE the tribble, I m still waiting for these to come to the game

Without first viewing the link, I'm gonna say this is probably the skant. ...

*oh forums, you......* :rolleyes:
  • Options
    hargbokhargbok Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I find this extremely inapropriate and highly iresponsible on the forum mods part. Im not against or hate TRIBBLE people but imagine if someone had a "guest blog" that was about a islamic jihad in game event or a hedrosexual event? where does it end? Star trek was never about bieng TRIBBLE or hedrosexual it was about exploration and ill admit acceptance. To make a entire event based on ones sexuality is highly inapropriate in a video game setting.

This is just my opinion im not saying to shut this thread down or to not have this "event" but this is a "video game" not reality just my view and opinion doesnt mean im right or wrong.
    Darmok and jalad at tenegra
  • Options
    sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Sounds interesting, too bad you guys put it so close to the new Risa Lohlunat Summer Event. Else I would lurk.