test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So.. the S7 complaints have died down?

avarseiravarseir Member Posts: 0 Arc User
So, I'm sure many of us have hit T5 rep in either Rom/Omega by now (I hit T5 for both factions yesterday), coincidentally the complaints about S7 on forums have significantly died down.. what happened guys?? Keep em coming!! :D

But honestly, I'm kinda liking the way things are now as compared to the old system. With Cryptic returning the dils for STFs and actually allowing BNPs/Marks to drop more randomly from STF loot has pretty much made it better.

Now, I had a shot at the Reman/Romulan set too. I hated the vault and hated that it was the only way to earn datalogs.

Dils is still a problem tho.. but its a minor problem with plethora of ways of earning it, the issue is just the time taken to earn it.

I do hate seeing so many in Elite Omega/Maco though, it used to be "exclusive" and "elitist" gear, now its everywhere. But that is a selfish view and definitely not good for the game's greater community.

So.. anyone else still not happy with the way things are now? I'm happy and giving Cryptic thumbs up!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by avarseir on

Comments

• Options
    curs0rcurs0r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Despite the inflammatory wording of the title for this thread I will reply to it. I still have a number of concerns. Refining cap still at 8k, I'd like the dilithium back to at least half what it used to be for dismissing doffs, the exchange is still a catastrophe, and others. Nothing major though. The changes made post-launch to S7 showed what I think most really wanted to see; that the devs do in fact respond to feedback. None of this has brought back the vast majority of my wayward fleetmates that quit out of boredom. A few have popped in, but they see the grinds, and usually leave again fairly quickly. It would appear that it gives plenty to do for those of us that are here anyway, but does not do a lot to entice people into returning and staying.
    I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    avarseir wrote: »
    So, I'm sure many of us have hit T5 rep in either Rom/Omega by now (I hit T5 for both factions yesterday), coincidentally the complaints about S7 on forums have significantly died down.. what happened guys?? Keep em coming!! :D

But honestly, I'm kinda liking the way things are now as compared to the old system. With Cryptic returning the dils for STFs and actually allowing BNPs/Marks to drop more randomly from STF loot has pretty much made it better.

Now, I had a shot at the Reman/Romulan set too. I hated the vault and hated that it was the only way to earn datalogs.

Dils is still a problem tho.. but its a minor problem with plethora of ways of earning it, the issue is just the time taken to earn it.

I do hate seeing so many in Elite Omega/Maco though, it used to be "exclusive" and "elitist" gear, now its everywhere. But that is a selfish view and definitely not good for the game's greater community.

So.. anyone else still not happy with the way things are now? I'm happy and giving Cryptic thumbs up!

Personally, I was happy with it the moment I tested it on Tribble.
    A few days ago, I finished both Reps on my main, and have FINALLY finished the mk XII sets that hadn't been able to complete with the old system after a year of trying.
    I have 4 more characters that will be finishing Reps within a week, also finishing their Mk XII sets and so on.
    So, I am very happy with the Rep systems.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    avarseiravarseir Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    curs0r wrote: »
    Despite the inflammatory wording of the title for this thread I will reply to it.

Its called ballyhooing. Its a journalism technique to "create an uproar" and invite people to post their views :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Its called ballyhooing. Its a journalism technique to "create an uproar" and invite people to post their views :)

I think there's another word for that when done on a forum or chat room. w/e as long as you're pleased I guess.
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    curs0r wrote: »
    Despite the inflammatory wording of the title for this thread I will reply to it.

This ^ - I'll take a page from Poster curs0r

It is almost if you are enticing every Troller to hop on your train and ride the gravy train, instant Troll bait.

But I'll give you my reply:

Am I content with all the Season 7 Changes?

I still have issues with S7 in general, however; the Devs have made some effort to better the situation.

In regards to the Rep system:

Do I like it? No

What can I say, I am old school & despite the newly Rep system making it easier for 100% of the playerbase, the system still requires a cost & cheapens the status of endgame gear.

Typically in most MMO's endgame gear should be very difficult to come by - Take for example TERA; only one or two people out of the entire gaming community on the server has the complete endgame set of armor.

It should be a testament of your mettle, an accomplishment that you have endured, outwitted your foe, and that you have overcome impossible odds.

The Rep system just gives it away like a gift certificate with Dilithium cost to it.

To everyone's defense though, the nature of STO endgame was sadly implemented - it was suppose to be an endgame dungeon - but they made it into a slugfest where the Borg can instant kill you with invisible torps doing 9999999999999999999999 damage.

My hope is that Cryptic truly make another endgame dungeon that only a few can obtain the endgame gear - It should be a true and challenging dungeon, where one must outwit, gear up properly, and support one another with only one drop to be voted on.

make us a true Endgame dungeon for both space and Ground.

A New Mk XIII Set.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    stark2k wrote: »
    My hope is that Cryptic truly make another endgame dungeon that only a few can obtain the endgame gear - It should be a true and challenging dungeon, where one must outwit, gear up properly, and support one another with only one drop to be voted on.

make us a true Endgame dungeon for both space and Ground.

A New Mk XIII Set.

I like the way you think, but I'd like to see a combination solution to two things if they do that. Not only would it be a test of cunning, experience, and leadership for a seasoned player, but a leg-up to new players as well by way of sharing that expertise with them.

What I'd love to see for that is an academy system that allows low ranking players to queue for instructional missions that start at starfleet/kdf academy, and are led by a vice admiral/lieutenant general (or in the future higher) player that joins from another single-file FIFO queue. These would be small 15 minute missions with a low combat amount, and emphasizing logical puzzles that require a coordinated team to solve. The rewards for that could be dilithium, expertise, skill points, commendation xp, and so forth. Probably with a fixed maximum reward of each that diminishes over time to a certain minimum if the team does not complete the objective in 15 minutes.

For higher ranking players that complete the full range of instructor missions, that sort of set you mention might be made available. There's nothing I can think of that's harder in gaming than getting a random team to listen to instructions and cooperate. If a player can do that consistently, I think it would merit some distinction.
  • Options
    lolimpicardlolimpicard Member Posts: 309
    edited January 2013
    stark2k wrote: »
    *snip*

Wait, it's you again! It's nothing personal but it seems our viewpoints commonly differ. :D

First: the Assimilated Universal Console would like to have a word with you about how much easier it is to obtain.
    Or the 30.000 Dilithium and 1.500 Omega Marks (or so) to get a Mk XII ground set (say ~20 elite STFs + 2 days maxing dilithium), and not including costs and time to fill Reputation to Tier 4,
    compared to sheer luck to get set pieces.

Yes, it commonly took people a mind numbing one week grind to finally get a complete set - some people finished a set within their first three eSTFs.
    Compared to maximizing your Reputation to Tier 4 & getting the Dilithium + Marks.

What exactly makes any of this more elite than another way?
    It's both utterly dumb and without merit.
    If you got a set it wasn't because of skill.
    It was because of random chance.

And random chance doesn't make anything "elite".

Some afterthoughts trying to be constructive:
    If they wanted it to be skill based they should:
    Track certain statistics (for example damage dealed, normalized on weapon/attack dps) during an elite ground STF (or comparably difficult 5-man mission) - then reward a set amount of marks (say 100) divided based on these statistic to the players: so more effective players get more of the marks.
    As an additional reward add one uber-mark that only the one best person gets - and only this can be used to purchase the very best equipment.

Or something along those lines. It would need some complexity in the algorithm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    While I am happy that the MX XII armour is now easier to get I am not happy that you have to pay for a reward you have unlocked and the amount of grind you have to do. I understand grinding is part of the MMO but grinding for the following
    Romulan marks
    Omega marks
    Dilithium
    Fleet marks
    Seem to be to much grinding for a game with so little story content and a unfinished faction
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cletusdeadmancletusdeadman Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I was under the impression that the point of the new reputation system was to get dillithium into the pricing matrix for STF rewards. The Season 7 increase in dill was to drive the price down so you needed more Zen to purchase an equal amount of dill, which STO is more than happy to sell you. With everybody wanting STF set, the dill would flow.

The unfair part from Cryptic was just spin as far as I can tell. Come on, a game design company came out and told you they created an unfair game system and this was better- and you bought that?!
  • Options
    l0cutus359l0cutus359 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    robeasom wrote: »
    While I am happy that the MX XII armour is now easier to get I am not happy that you have to pay for a reward you have unlocked and the amount of grind you have to do. I understand grinding is part of the MMO but grinding for the following
    Romulan marks
    Omega marks
    Dilithium
    Fleet marks
    Seem to be to much grinding for a game with so little story content and a unfinished faction

Yes, I agree,...... just give us "Marks" and let me decide where to use them, more flexibility

We have Lobi crystals, zen, dil, all the marks, fleet modules, fleet credits, gpl, etc..... too many currencies to grind.

Thx
    Locutus
    Locutus

Delirium Tremens
    Tier 4 Starbase, Tier 3 Embassy
    http://dtfleet.com/
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I hit Tier 1 and am working towards Tier 2. I just wish I knew what was holding me back from picking my first Tier passive? The UI says Upgrade Availible and I can highlight a passive in iether Omega or Romulus but nothing states I have picked anything and the passive does not show up.

SO is thier some pre-quest one has to complete first?
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    bortjinxbortjinx Member Posts: 397
    edited January 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    I hit Tier 1 and am working towards Tier 2. I just wish I knew what was holding me back from picking my first Tier passive? The UI says Upgrade Availible and I can highlight a passive in iether Omega or Romulus but nothing states I have picked anything and the passive does not show up.

SO is thier some pre-quest one has to complete first?

Hi Roach... When you finish a tier, you need to do a tier upgrade special project, and the reward for that is you get to pick your passive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    l0cutus359l0cutus359 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    bortjinx wrote: »
    Hi Roach... When you finish a tier, you need to do a tier upgrade special project, and the reward for that is you get to pick your passive.

Yes, it is another project to unlock what you just earned...... <sigh>
    Locutus

Delirium Tremens
    Tier 4 Starbase, Tier 3 Embassy
    http://dtfleet.com/
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    People just stopped playing and/or caring.

After taking a three weeks hiatus from "Star Trek: Online", I decided to sign back into the system. Within a few moments of reentering the game, I discovered that the passion that drove me to "STO" is over.

No more feedback.

No more complaints.

No longer care.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I don't like the increase cost of about everything. To buy gear you need dil, which is obtained through grind, not skills. The maco, omega and romulan gear is not difficult to obtain, but annoying.
    I had no problem about doing difficult STF to have the gear, the random part was annoying however. But now, no need to do something difficult, grind eppohs for romulan and normal ISE for omega, even a complete noob in miranda can't fail those (if he have a half decent team).

We went from the endless grind of difficult mission, with a lot of frustration, to the super easy grindfest.

However, a good thing for some people, the Zen market is crashing, allowing us to buy zen really cheap.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bortjinxbortjinx Member Posts: 397
    edited January 2013
    l0cutus359 wrote: »
    Yes, it is another project to unlock what you just earned...... <sigh>

It's hardly a problem. A 15 minute project that requires next to no resources.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Overall I am fine with the current system - there are lots of things that bug me but nothing that's a deal-breaker playing the game wise.

I thought things would pick up on the forums after the Holidays but it seems there is not lots to talk about and/or people are already hitting that post season launch burn-out and doing other stuff.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The complaints were never real.

Sure cryptic does lots of bad things (worst faction in mmo history, fleet project dil costs, thinking that ships are considered content) but people will complain whenever cryptic does anything whatsoever. Even without trying it
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    People just stopped playing and/or caring.

After taking a three weeks hiatus from "Star Trek: Online", I decided to sign back into the system. Within a few moments of reentering the game, I discovered that the passion that drove me to "STO" is over.

No more feedback.

No more complaints.

No longer care.

^^ this.

A significant number of the people I used to run STFs with are no longer online - those that are spend less and less time in-game (myself included).

I've got one more race to run to get the Breen ship for my last alt then I'll be taking a break from STO until the 3 year anniversary.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • Options
    towanitowani Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    robeasom wrote: »
    Romulan marks
    Omega marks
    Dilithium
    Fleet marks

Wow, we think alike because this was almost my post (pretty much) on another thread. Therefore...
    /concur
    Hi. Apparently I'm new here and joined in Jun 2012. Guess I'm in good company though... seems everyone else joined then too!
  • Options
    tradiktradik Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Like many, I was torn between the old STF system and the new Rep system. I liked the truer 'end-game' feel of the old system, but disliked the chance variable for the variables (and I have to admit, I was one of the unlucky few that did over 100 elites in a char on the old system and never got the lucky drops). The newer system makes it easier yes, but in doing so, dilutes the content in general. Specifically since it promotes afk'rs in Elites, or simply those players looking to grind a few BNP's and Omega Marks, and don't care about learning the mission itself or working with the other squaddies. In the end, you have clowns walking around in the end-game costumes who not only didn't truly earn it, they don't deserve it. Yes, this happened in the old system as well, but nowhere near to the degree it is now.

With that said, I understand the Rep system, and the potential it offers for future game growth, and I love it. It will make it so much easier to add to existing Rep chains, let alone add new ones down the road. Yes, it's a Dilithium sink hole...we get it. Yes, the Devs have made some changes to lighten the load in that respect, and I thank them. I like the new STF's...they're actually just as easy as the others once you figure out a good strategy.

And here are my remaining concerns from Season 7:

- DOFF Grinding costs, and the General Recruitment pack prices. This seems to be the biggest Dil concern for most people still. Those prices are way over the top, and I don't understand why they had to increase to begin with.

- Content. I do miss the weekly excitement of a new Episode coming out. Are those days over now? Are Devs simply going to be producing some Rep Tier mini-missions now? Is that the easy way out...just making ONE episode and chopping it into 5 pieces to stretch it out? Trek is story driven, the game should be too.

- Game stability issues. The game may look prettier for most people as of Season 7, but it's also a lot less stable. Players are constantly getting game-client crashes when loading into certain maps (My game crashes 75% of the time I beam down to New Rom now, other people have similar problems). Rubber-banding, lag, missing graphics, broken UI, PvP/Private match challenges still buggy, etc...all problems that have become more widespread as of Season 7.

- I'm not sure how to word this properly, but in a nutshell, the game is feeling less 'Treky' every day. A lot of the newer devices/consoles/gimmicks seem to be some futuristic version of something from a D&D game. And some of the newer ships seem to be just unimaginative hybrids of existing ships/classes. When we DO see something truly creative, it's usually watered down by either a blatant cash-grab or off-story grind.

The rest are simply nags that we have to learn to live with.

But those are my (and fleet-mates) opinions, and I felt the need to get them off my chest. Ignore the babbling (as the devs tend to do).
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    bortjinx wrote: »

Thanks. Is this accomplished by clicking the big lettered UPGRADE under the description?

If so, It is not working for me.
    SO that makes me wonder if something else is left undone somewhere else?
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Thanks. Is this accomplished by clicking the big lettered UPGRADE under the description?

If so, It is not working for me.
    SO that makes me wonder if something else is left undone somewhere else?

post some screenshots so we can tell whats going on?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Rep system still makes me turn around and go do something else every time I consider actually beaming down to New Romulus. Just not worth the crazy inputs, especially with plain-ol-MMO-standard flower-picking and rat-smiting (at endgame no less!?).
    SQUIRREL!
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I've got one more race to run to get the Breen ship for my last alt then I'll be taking a break from STO until the 3 year anniversary.

Bold is mine. This reads like a burned out player after spending marathon sessions to get stuff for all the characters on an account.

If anything you should revel in the status of the accomplishment :)
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This thread's title has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Bold is mine. This reads like a burned out player after spending marathon sessions to get stuff for all the characters on an account.

Hmm... I can see how you might think that, but no - compared with others I'm a rank amateur - I only have three characters (1 x Fed, 2 x KDF) and they're all reached Tier 5 in the Rep system and my KDF Sci gets her Breen ship tomorrow.

Whilst I admit, I burned through the Rep system pretty quickly (and suffered the Patrol missions in Tau Dewa on a daily basis), the reasoning was pretty simple - all my characters have had so little new to do for so long now that the Rep system finally offered a few new shinies worth investing some time in.

I could've stretched it out and taken my time with it but honestly, all I would've been doing in the interim is playing the same old STFs with the same old ships and gear.

Now I've got the Adapted ground + space sets (mainly for the armor visuals although I do actually use the Adapted KHG on my Sci's Peghqu') as well as the Omega Torp and Kinetic Cutting Beam, some new Romulan [Acc]x2 DHCs and Turrets for my Kar'fi and the Hyper-Plasma torpedo launcher.

I've also bought some of the Borg prosthetic stuff for my Boffs (since I couldn't be bother to aquire it from Defera *shudder*) a Romulan rifle and a few other bits and pieces. The thing is, even with all these new(ish) toys, I'm still stuck playing the same STFs (much though I've enjoyed them in Seasons 6 and 7).

So really, there's nothing left for me to do now - I could grind yet more Dilithium for yet more weapons for yet another ship (Chel Grett) but without any engaging new content to use all this stuff in, it all seems a bit pointless.

I guess if the Reputation system actually equipped you for future challenges (STFs/missions/whatever) that were unlocked along the way then there'd feel like there's a point to it - but by the time you unlock the Mk XII gear you've already played the sparse new content through so many times that it all seems rather pointless.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    @weylandjuarez

I'm glad you did not take offense as that was not my intention. :) I am glad you defined your experience further because I am only halfway through the game on my first toon and thinking about "what it'll be like".

Having said that, could it be that part of the 'complaints" about Season 7 comes from players who have "been there and done that" then? What I mean, is that, for some players, Season 7 was a way to do something different despite it being new. But, these posts highlight that, given dedicated time, Season 7 will last about ... 3 months at most?

So, if a player has - literally - seen the galaxy and have the best gear the game can offer ... then they can truly retire (without wanting to)?
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Short answer...complaints died down beacuse most folks just gave up on it and left the game altogether.

This happens everytime when a new major "season" revision takes place. However, S7 was more of an outcry than previous "fixes" from other seasons...you can also see the ZEN prices going way down since not many are playing and hording up dil for rep, starbase, embassy projects. After Q's exit in a couple of weeks there will be a notable visility of something similar like a "deserted" town...all it's left for Cryptic to entice "new" players since the old base is dwindlig. It happens more often than not and hopefully new players would offset those who leave...sad but true reality:cool:
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    gbehlpnu2012gbehlpnu2012 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I don't think the complaints have died down...I think we've given up. After 7 seasons of ever decreasing dev team size / smaller updates / bugs that have gone unfixed / lack of foresight when changing y which affects x... list goes on and on and doesn't seem to get better with each new season.