Install Arc
Options

Guest Blog: Celebrating Diversity in Star Trek

Comments

• Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kirkson2 wrote: »
    Fine then you wont object to other segments posting blogs that may or may not be with your beliefs.
    these may or may not include
    Religious organizations
    cults
    different populations ( Asian,African,Arabic,Persian, Latino)
    Smurf haters
    Twi-Geeks
    etc...

Again, the blog was about how Star Trek was a impetus for social change and how it was used to fight the persecution of various minorities in the United States. It was not about any one single group or population.

kirkson2 wrote: »
    I seen bible/Religious fleets you would be surprise what the IDIC covers....

Which has nothing to do with the lore of Star Trek. There was virtually no mention of Earth religion in the Star Trek movies or television shows.
  • Options
    talzerotwotalzerotwo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Everyone here is forgetting...

According to a Supreme Court ruling, Coorporations are people to :P. They can do what they want.
    [SIGPIC]http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5[/SIGPIC]
    Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
    Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    talzerotwo wrote: »
    Everyone here is forgetting...

According to a Supreme Court ruling, Coorporations are people to :P. They can do what they want.

Actually since PWE is from China, should not Chinese law count instead of USA one?
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    game5pockgame5pock Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I was not comparing ignorance, such as yours, to Nazisim.

I'll thank you not to insult me.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Why is the word ignorance thrown around?

Someone who is ignorant would not know that non-heterosexuals exist, so why is it used on people who know of it and dissaprove?

It just seems like an odd choice of word?
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Again, the blog was about how Star Trek was a impetus for social change and how it was used to fight the persecution of various minorities in the United States. It was not about any one single group or population.

Which has nothing to do with the lore of Star Trek. There was virtually no mention of Earth religion in the Star Trek movies or television shows.

So, answer me this:

The month is June. June is celebrated as the month of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the Catholic Church. If a fleet leader got Brandon to let him/her write a blog about how we are all brothers and sisters in the loving heart of Jesus, and that the fleet was going to have an in-game celebration of the month of the Sacred Heart for anybody who wished to join the party, and Brandon posted it on the front page;

Would you have an objection?
  • Options
    kirkson2kirkson2 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    well when you have no argument against what person is saying you go to the safe words
    as in
    Ignorant
    intolerant
    etc

if it is not for a single population then why does it have only one fleet sponsoring it?
    Klingons smell worse than wookies:D
  • Options
    kirkson2kirkson2 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    game5pock wrote: »
    So, answer me this:

The month is June. June is celebrated as the month of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the Catholic Church. If a fleet leader got Brandon to let him/her write a blog about how we are all brothers and sisters in the loving heart of Jesus, and that the fleet was going to have an in-game celebration of the month of the Sacred Heart for anybody who wished to join the party, and Brandon posted it on the front page;

yes..because it fragments us
    Klingons smell worse than wookies:D
  • Options
    baronvonhellerbaronvonheller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'll thank you not to insult me.

My apologies if pointing out the ignorance of your statement, came across as an insult. It wasn't meant to be one, unlike your casual dismissal of a historical genocide was.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So, answer me this:

I would not object, just as I dont object to this one. Otherwise I would be a hypocrite.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So, answer me this:

I have no objections to other people celebrating their faith, culture, ethnicity, or anything else, so long as it does not harm or infringe on anybody else's rights.

In fact, I rather enjoy learning the customs and cultures of societies different than my own.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So, answer me this:

I would object on the grounds that such a blog would have absolutely nothing to do with Star Trek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hm6gvhROWA
  • Options
    squonkmansquonkman Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    ...I mean its the most liberal place on Earth.

Speaking like someone who's longest journey was a bicycle ride to the neighborhood's 7-11.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Why is the word ignorance thrown around?

Someone who is ignorant would not know that non-heterosexuals exist, so why is it used on people who know of it and dissaprove?

It just seems like an odd choice of word?

No, ignorance is a perfect word in some cases. While it would be ignorant to say that people who disapprove of homosexuality or are anti-TRIBBLE are unaware of the existence of LGBT's, it isn't ignorant to point out that some who disapprove or are anti-TRIBBLE are indeed ignorant of some of the facts and history surrounding the LGBT Community.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would object on the grounds that such a blog would have absolutely nothing to do with Star Trek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hm6gvhROWA
    So, tolerance for someone's sexuality, but no tolerance for someone's religion.

"Star Trek's" message of tolerance gets lost in Picard's speech.

Hypocrisy? Indeed.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I have no objections to other people celebrating their faith, culture, ethnicity, or anything else, so long as it does not harm or infringe on anybody else's rights.

In fact, I rather enjoy learning the customs and cultures of societies different than my own.

That is a very well-meaning world view.

How was it said... do not judge others, lest you be judged yourself? Being nice to people is at the core of Christian faith, something that people forget far too often.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you're TRIBBLE so what you aint special. Same goes for your skin color, no matter what shade you are you aint special. As long as my way to work isnt obstructed by a parade and I dont got a guilt message shoved in my face im fine.

Everyone is at the same level as average, no better no worse. No one group should be treated like TRIBBLE, but no one group should get special treatment either.

This is the most sensible thing anyone in this thread has said so far.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    So, tolerance for someone sexuality, but no tolerance for someone's religion.

The thesis of the blog was not about, "tolerance for someone sexuality [sic]".

The thesis of the blog was about the history of Star Trek and how, by depicting a future where maligned groups were accepted in society, Star Trek was a catalyst for positive social change.
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I do not have to, and will not, "tolerate" anyone's belief that my family is not just as valid as theirs, is not a real family. I do not have to, and will not, "tolerate" anyone's belief that I ought not be able to visit the people I love in the hospital when they are ill, that I ought not have equal rights to be recognized as a mother to any children my family might have, that I ought not be allowed to show the same affection for those I love - in public or private - that they show without a second thought every day. I do not have to, and will not, "tolerate" anyone's belief that I do not deserve access to care for my medical needs, the way they get access to care for theirs. I do not have to, and will not, "tolerate" anyone's belief that I do not deserve to feel safe in my community, to interact socially and economically just as they do, simply because of who I love. I do not have to, and will not, "tolerate" anyone's belief that their discomfort with anything different from themselves excuses anger, excuses deliberate ignorance, excuses stereotyping and bigotry and hate, that they are as justified in their efforts at denying me basic human rights as I am in fighting for those rights, that they ought to have any say in whether I am treated as a full and equal person under the law.

A belief in tolerance, in the need for diversity of viewpoint and upbringing and experience, does not require me to accept bigotry, hatred, and ignorance as the equal of acceptance, love, and truth. It does not require me to accept the right to attack as equal to the right to defend. It does not require me to accept discrimination as the equal of equality.

And I'm fairly certain that everyone in this thread knows that.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

The thesis of the blog was about the history of Star Trek and how, by depicting a future where maligned groups were accepted in society, Star Trek was a catalyst for positive social change.
    ...but, according to Picard's and Roddenberry's own words, Starfleet is about a complete rejection of religion. Do you remember that episode where Picard tore into Ensign Roe for wearing a religious Bajoran earring?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    That is a very well-meaning world view.

How was it said... do not judge others, lest you be judged yourself? Being nice to people is at the core of Christian faith, something that people forget far too often.

Thank you. That is exactly what I have been meaning to get across.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    If "Star Trek" was all about tolerance, why are 'human' Starfleet officers not allowed to wear religious artifacts?

Where are the crucifixes and menorahs in officer's rooms?

"Star Trek" is a celebration of cultural differences. Once it touches the notion of human religion, theology is only talked about in extremes.
  • Options
    squonkmansquonkman Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Read the blog again. The big introduction is about Star Trek (which is used as a pretext). Then, the first personal words of the author are about homosexuality and other deviancies.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    If "Star Trek" was all about tolerance, why are 'human' Starfleet officers not allowed to wear religious artifacts?

Bajorans were not allowed either, nor do I think other things like piercings are allowed.

This is most likely because such trappings can be a problem in close combat.
  • Options
    hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Cause it's generally preferred to have people at the helm who, during a crisis, keep their eyes open and their fingers on the controls?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    All this madness is why I decided to just not care anymore. If you're TRIBBLE so what you aint special. Same goes for your skin color, no matter what shade you are you aint special. As long as my way to work isnt obstructed by a parade and I dont got a guilt message shoved in my face im fine.

Everyone is at the same level as average, no better no worse. No one group should be treated like TRIBBLE, but no one group should get special treatment either.

I agree, nobody should receive "special" treatment.

I have no idea who invented this straw man argument, but, that is precisely what it is. The whole idea that the LGBT community wants "special" rights or that there is some "hidden agenda", is absurd. I don't, and none of my fellow LGBT friends do either, that I know of.

I think what bothers people and leads to accusations of us having a "hiddenGay agenda" or wanting "special" rights is that we are no longer standing idly by while being victimized by the more ignorant and ideologically driven members of society. Those days are long gone.

For the record, here's the majority of my TRIBBLE agenda and the "special" treatment I am seeking:

I want my fellow LGBT brothers and sisters to stop being murdered and assaulted simply for who they are;

I want to see an end to LGBT Teen suicides caused by bullying simply because of who they are;

I want the civil aspects of the my marriage to my Husband to be recognized Federally, equal to Heterosexual marriages and I couldn't care less if any Church offers their blessings. It's a civil matter, and we are equal citizens;

So, if that qualifies as me wanting "special" treatment, then I suppose I am guilty as charged, lol.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    My apologies if pointing out the ignorance of your statement, came across as an insult. It wasn't meant to be one, unlike your casual dismissal of a historical genocide was.

Again, don't insult me.

I see. Thank you for your reply.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I agree, nobody should receive "special" treatment.

I have no idea who invented this straw man argument, but, that is precisely what it is. The whole idea that the LGBT community wants "special" rights or that there is some "hidden agenda", is absurd. I don't, and none of my fellow LGBT friends do either, that I know of.

I think what bothers people and leads to accusations of us having a "hidden agenda" or wanting "special" rights is that we are no longer standing idly by while being victimized by the more ignorant and ideologically driven members of society. Those days are long gone.

For the record, here's the majority of my TRIBBLE agenda:

I want my fellow LGBT brothers and sisters to stop being murdered and assaulted simply for who they are;

I want to see an end to LGBT Teen suicides caused by bullying simply because of who they are;

I want the civil aspects of the my marriage to my Husband to be recognized Federally, equal to Heterosexual marriages and I couldn't care less if any Church offers their blessings. It's a civil matter, and we are equal citizens;

So, if that qualifies as me wanting "special" treatment, then I suppose I am guilty as charged, lol.

Agreed. Legal civil matters and religion should be kept separate. A vow in a temple is not a civil contract, it is a spiritual commitment.

As for churches, I think each religion can choose what they allow and what they dont allow.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2013

Where are the crucifixes and menorahs in officer's rooms?

"Star Trek" is a celebration of cultural differences. Once it touches the notion of human religion, theology is only talked about in extremes.

To be fair, a large majority of employers in this time period do not allow their employees to wear any form of religious items during their working hours.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Tolerance for people's religious beliefs does not mean that you have to make alterations to uniform policies for them. Even in the US today the Supreme Court has generally upheld this.

And it is important that Star Trek was based upon a utopian, humanist future for humanity, not a dystopian, religious future.

Roddenberry correctly predicted that as education and intelligence levels rose, bigotry and religious adherence would decline. Creating a human race that was largely devoid of religion was a natural extension of that correctly-predicted trend.