test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

100-attachment mail limit

Comments

• enablingenabling Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If indeed returned mails from the exchange will turn out missing the items b/c of overflow in mailbox this WILL spell trouble for cryptic/PWE:
    Let's say i spend money to buy zen, use it to buy keys and post the keys on exchange... (though it should be obvious I'll elaborate now)
    Nobody buys the keys, auction run out of time and I get a massage in my mailbox about auction expiring, WITHOUT the keys I've payed REAL money for...
    [And that, boys and girls, is why big (gaming) companies should think things through before linking real money to virtual good, and before making "cost saving" decisions by someone who doesn't/won't think it all the way through.]
    On a closing note, this seems like a good point to disclose my vision of a hasty roll-back on this "feature".
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tarrennis wrote: »
    Are they going to reimburse us for these item losses?

EDIT >>
    squigish wrote: »
    It appears that there is now a limit of 100 items stored in your mailbox as attachments. This was not announced in any of the patch notes. Items stored in your mailbox before LoR don't seem to count towards the limit, and one mail with 5 attachments counts as 5/100. 20 mails with 5 attachments each will take you to the limit.

Whew, I can accomodate the change if the pre-LoR mail isn't counted. Still, a stupid change but if my old loot is still secure I'll unhappily start flooding the exchange with junk and consumables that my rommie picks up.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is completely unacceptable as long as the game uses mail attachments to send you expired exchange items. Everyone now has at least 3 toon slots and each of them can sell 40 items. 100 attachments isn't enough even if your mailbox is empty.
  • methos71methos71 Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ya know, I absolutely expected there to be massive problems with the rollout of LOR and I even expected a wee bit of nerfing here and there, based on what I've read on the Tribble boards the past few weeks. Given all that, I've planned on putting off so much as attempting to play again until this weekend or next week.

This news about some stealth nerf to the mail system is an absolute outrage!:mad: I've only just started poking about the forums today, to monitor the progress (or lack thereof) of LOR's launch. So, I'm kind of astounded that this issue hasn't drawn more attention.

My gut tells me this has to be some glitch relating to the massive server overloads that have been going on since yesterday. At least I'm really, really, really hoping this is a temporary glitch.

The mail system is the go-to storage for all of us exchange junkies and BOFF collectors. I've perpetually got 40 items posted on the exchange at all times and a large assortment of 'exchange lots', for future exchange sales. And then there are my 'personal inventory backups' and 'BOFF inventory backups'. And I should also mention that I have purchased the maximum number of personal inventory and bank slots available.

I obsessively tend to keeping my mail storage as lean as possible, always clearing my inbox after I get that bi-weekly exchange return dump of 30+ items, re-posting all returned items to the exchange and deleting the return messages. And I mean obsessively too. If it takes me an hour and a half to re-post returned items, then so be it.

Yet, a 100 item cap, down from a 500 message cap (with 5 items per message), is absolutely absurd!:mad:

As it currently stands, I've got roughly 40 some-odd 'BOFF inventory backup' messages and roughly 70 to 80 'personal inventory backup' messages, along with maybe 20 or so returned exchange items (from times I simply wanted to play immediately, rather than micro-manage my inventory).

Again, really, really hoping this is a temporary glitch; 'cause if it isn't, then a whole lot of us have gotten royally screwed!
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
    methos71
    screenshot_2012-03-27-13-37-23.jpg

• enablingenabling Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wrote the following in this thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=695071

If indeed returned mails from the exchange will turn out missing the items b/c of overflow in mailbox this WILL spell trouble for cryptic/PWE:
    Let's say i spend money to buy zen, use it to buy keys and post the keys on exchange... (though it should be obvious I'll elaborate now)
    Nobody buys the keys, auction run out of time and I get a massage in my mailbox about auction expiring, WITHOUT the keys I've payed REAL money for...
    [And that, boys and girls, is why big (gaming) companies should think things through before linking real money to virtual good, and before making "cost saving" decisions by someone who doesn't/won't think it all the way through.]
    On a closing note, this seems like a good point to disclose my vision of a hasty roll-back on this "feature".
    edited May 2013
    4%

Thats all we get from the pre LoR attachment capacity.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• fcsp1910fcsp1910 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nice one...that might lead countless accounts with lvl1 'storage mules' like in the old Diablo II days. Just shifts the problem of server overload temporarily...

Apart from that I'm missing tons of mails with doffpacks, lockbox ships, doffs, etc worth millions of ec. If these are gone forever, it's bye bye STO for me most certainly!!
    edited May 2013
    Okies, I've done a bit more poking around the forums, since my last message here. And said poking has left me mildly optimistic that this is nothing more than a glitch, which will hopefully get remedied soon.

From what I've gathered, I suspect that this is related to the 'cannot delete mail' bug, which has been addressed as an issue, at the end of the May 21st patch notes.

Still keeping fingers crossed that this is a bug and not some horrendous stealth nerf.
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    methos71

• lake1771lake1771 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seems to me a drop in the price of these doffs would benifit everyone.

You sell the ones you cant use now and get a small amount of money.

In time you find you need doffs that you sold so you go back to the exchange and find they are worth less or equal to when you sold them.

Fleets who perhaps don't have alot of people benifit from more and cheeper starbase food.

Your sold doffs allow more people in more fleets to collect fleet credits and level their starbases faster.

Only downside I see is to the bottom line of the people who exclusively sell doffs.

What you see as a drop in price will actually be a dramatic increase.
    When thousands of mailed doffs disappear what do you think will happen with the demand of doffs off the exchange?
    It will skyrocket. driving prices way over what we've ever seen as a stable price before.
    Your logic is flawed
    edited May 2013
    Having done a bit of poking, here and there, around the forums, I'm cautiously optimistic that this is nothing more than an unforeseen glitch, rather than a stealth nerf. I have a suspicion that this issue is somehow related to the acknowledged 'cannot delete mail' bug.

At least, I'm really, really, really hoping so.

Like everyone else in this thread, I've got tons of stuff in mail storage and perpetually have 40 items posted to the exchange. I've also purchased the maximum number of bank and inventory slots and obsessively slim down the number of messages in my inbox.

If they've somehow stealth nerfed our mail, then there's gonna be a deluge of rage.

We've all witnessed Cryptic blunder all too often, but I can't fathom they would intentionally do something this loathsome, with the launch of their biggest expansion since this game's inception.
    methos71

• icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally I don't think it would be a bad idea at all, and only thing I think that could possibly be address is if it was 100 per toon on the account. way to many people abuse the system for storage. same with the exchange . if people started losing items because they were looking for an exploit or a work around then they will stop doing it

the game charges for extra storage cap. and in the cases that people have maxed out the buyable storage space they can buy, guess what every thing has a cap. learn to deal with it . if you have a 5 lb bag you cant put 10lb of stuff in it. or 5 gallons of gas in a 2 gallon can. come on and grow up and stop the crying about everything.

so if this is a glitch then fine what ever, EXCEPT THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN ADDRESSED IN SOME SORT OF TESTING. if it isn't then fine what ever it stops the exploiters.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• tarrennistarrennis Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If this is a bug and there will be no 100 attachment mail limit, then they should officially say so. I can't get all of my items out of mail, because a lot of them don't show. Plus, I keep hititng 40 sale items and have to wait for things to sell. And, the game keeps crashing and I have to wait the long queue again when I log back in.
  • tiggychantiggychan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    icsairguns wrote: »
    Personally I don't think it would be a bad idea at all, and only thing I think that could possibly be address is if it was 100 per toon on the account. way to many people abuse the system for storage. same with the exchange . if people started losing items because they were looking for an exploit or a work around then they will stop doing it

the game charges for extra storage cap. and in the cases that people have maxed out the buyable storage space they can buy, guess what every thing has a cap. learn to deal with it . if you have a 5 lb bag you cant put 10lb of stuff in it. or 5 gallons of gas in a 2 gallon can. come on and grow up and stop the crying about everything.

so if this is a glitch then fine what ever, EXCEPT THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN ADDRESSED IN SOME SORT OF TESTING. if it isn't then fine what ever it stops the exploiters.

mmo is based off items, how is there an exploit.
    Unless you like to play with one toy all day long, everyone else likes customization
    edited May 2013

Sure thing- lend me about 40 slots so I can store all the consumables and data samples the game requires. FYI there is a cap in the mail system already and it's not abusing the system if the system is already setup with a cap. Mail attachments are just code, they don't take up any more space on the servers than the same items sitting in a bank or inventory slot.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Devils advocate...

Perhaps this is needed to stop people from hoarding. Face it, most of us have tons of things we don't need that we could easily delete or dump into the economy.

I'll also think it is addressing a cheesy way of getting free storage.

I do agree there needs to be something to do with DOFFs. Making the DOFF grinder useful again would help.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Like others have said, this is absolutely ridiculous. Where are we supposed to store all those DOFFS to contribute to Starbase Projects?

Furthermore, it's just going to FORCE players to create Free Alt Accounts just to open more Mail slots! Which means you are losing more Sever Space than before limiting mail! /facepalm

In short, it was a stupid decision by management.
  • lake1771lake1771 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Really love to see if there is some official position the devs 'n their managers have taken on this issue.

It is an issue, not to doubt.

Please would you alleviate some of our concerns or perhaps let us know where we stand so we can stop wasting time and money on a game where the gm's 'n devs just don't care about all the time and money we've wasted.
    edited May 2013
    Unless they take the next step like other free games do and limit one account per ip. which would be a bad thing now adays with entire households and even buildings networked but it has happened in the past and could happen here . I want to continue playing the game on my account and let my son play on his own at the same time. but if people abuse it as some here suggest they will be shooting us all in the foot.

edited May 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Sure thing- lend me about 40 slots so I can store all the consumables and data samples the game requires. FYI there is a cap in the mail system already and it's not abusing the system if the system is already setup with a cap. Mail attachments are just code, they don't take up any more space on the servers than the same items sitting in a bank or inventory slot.

and no im gonna give you anything that's the problem with this entire thread is people thinking they should get more for free . even if it means using things in ways they were not intended EXPLOITS.

• donutsmasherdonutsmasher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The mail system was designed this way, thus it is not an exploit. Please engage your brain and then post an apology. Thank you.

To Cryptic I say this; If you intend on this being an actual feature, then kindly remove the inventory and bank slot purchase cap and decrease the cost of said extra slots (or increase the number acquired per purchase). If not then please ensure the old system is put back.

Of course if this is just a bug, could someone please post to let us know, thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
    edited May 2013
    tiggychan wrote: »
    mmo is based off items, how is there an exploit.
    Unless you like to play with one toy all day long, everyone else likes customization

then buy the expansion slots for storage . if that isn't enough buy another toon slot then increase its bank slots. you have options rather than using the mail as storage. mail is not intended for storage so what your doing is actually an EXPLOIT . and you say the game is based on items yes maybe so. but the company providing the game is based off making real money. denying them profit from their investment is an exploit ... cry all you want try to justify it all you want its not going to change the facts of the argument.

ohh wow im off the forums now my login que just junped from 18k to in game LOL I guess somebody liked what I said bye

edited May 2013
    tarrennis wrote: »
    If this is a bug and there will be no 100 attachment mail limit, then they should officially say so. I can't get all of my items out of mail, because a lot of them don't show. Plus, I keep hititng 40 sale items and have to wait for things to sell. And, the game keeps crashing and I have to wait the long queue again when I log back in.

And this is why I'm waiting until this weekend or sometime early next week before I even consider attempting to log back into the game. I'm just glad that I tended to some mail/inventory/exchange business on Monday night, in anticipation of the abundant problems that were certain to ensue with the launch of LOR.

Thing that has me nervous is the weekly or bi-weekly unsold exchange items return dump. Not sure if that was set to happen this past Tuesday or this coming Tuesday. And I'm really hoping all that stuff gets properly returned to me, as there's oodles of EC to be made with that stuff.
    lake1771 wrote: »
    Really love to see if there is some official position the devs 'n their managers have taken on this issue.

It is an issue, not to doubt.

Please would you alleviate some of our concerns or perhaps let us know where we stand so we can stop wasting time and money on a game where the gm's 'n devs just don't care about all the time and money we've wasted.

I noticed that a dev has acknowledged the 'cannot delete email' issue (which I'm thinking is related to all this). Yet, yeah, a response on this 100 attachment limit nonsense would be greatly appreciated indeed!

And speaking of which, how has that 100 attachment limit been determined anyhow? Don't think anyone has mentioned how that discovery was specifically arrived at.
    methos71

• donutsmasherdonutsmasher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    then buy the expansion slots for storage . if that isn't enough buy another toon slot then increase its bank slots. you have options rather than using the mail as storage. mail is not intended for storage so what your doing is actually an EXPLOIT . and you say the game is based on items yes maybe so. but the company providing the game is based off making real money. denying them profit from their investment is an exploit ... cry all you want try to justify it all you want its not going to change the facts of the argument.

ohh wow im off the forums now my login que just junped from 18k to in game LOL I guess somebody liked what I said bye

queue* I'm* jumped*

The problem you don't seem to get here is that the system was designed this way and Cryptic have cut it without providing an adequate alternative. Not only that but if this is a purposeful move on their part, then what they are actually doing is reducing the chances of anyone wanting to invest any more money with them.

Perhaps if you had even the vaguest understanding of business practices or Free-to-play gaming business models you would not have posted such garbage. Failing that you are just another in a long line of trolls, which is probably the case. If you aren't a troll then one can only surmise that you probably think an IQ is just a model of Japanese compact car.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is it wrong, that I'm enjoying the butthurt of those crying because they are losign their free storage?

And yes, it was an exploit. You were using a game system in a way it was not intended. Not all exploits require bugs or "hacks".
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    methos71 wrote: »
    And speaking of which, how has that 100 attachment limit been determined anyhow? Don't think anyone has mentioned how that discovery was specifically arrived at.

I believe it's derived from Neverwinter's policy.

But then again, it's not the first time a major nerf was not communicated to Cryptic's customers...
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If it was an exploit, they would've fixed this a year ago.

While personal items can now be stored in shared bank accounts now, the underlying problem still remains, that there is no place to store DOFFS for Starbase and Embassy Projects.

Which is something people been asking for, since when the DOFFing system went in testing.

So if Cryptic really does care about the players as they claim, they wouldn't be kicking them in the nuts right now, but working with them to make it a win-win situation.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is it wrong, that I'm enjoying the butthurt of those crying because they are losign their free storage?

I don't think it is...but I'm just sitting here with a bucket of popcorn enjoying the delicious tears of the "wronged" myself, so maybe it's just us. :D
    edited May 2013
    queue* I'm* jumped*

The problem you don't seem to get here is that the system was designed this way and Cryptic have cut it without providing an adequate alternative. Not only that but if this is a purposeful move on their part, then what they are actually doing is reducing the chances of anyone wanting to invest any more money with them.

Perhaps if you had even the vaguest understanding of business practices or Free-to-play gaming business models you would not have posted such garbage. Failing that you are just another in a long line of trolls, which is probably the case. If you aren't a troll then one can only surmise that you probably think an IQ is just a model of Japanese compact car.

ohh im sure the designed the mail system to be storage so people would not have to buy added storage space.

im not a troll just sometimes people say some of the dumbest things and I have to sound off. and again I see a federation avatar goes to my original statement its the fed types that have no honor at all. and resulting to calling me stupid because I have a little moral integrity and am not an intellectual property thief . thereby making me dumb for some reason because I didn't think of doing it. instead of spending real money that I made with my real world business that I apparently have not the brains to run. to pay for the added storage space I require in a GAME.

edited May 2013
    The mail system was designed this way, thus it is not an exploit. Please engage your brain and then post an apology. Thank you.

To Cryptic I say this; If you intend on this being an actual feature, then kindly remove the inventory and bank slot purchase cap and decrease the cost of said extra slots (or increase the number acquired per purchase). If not then please ensure the old system is put back.

Of course if this is just a bug, could someone please post to let us know, thanks.

Well stated and absolutely spot on Donutsmasher!

The mail system has long had an established message limit of 500 messages, with 5 allotted attachment slots per message. The mail system was DESIGNED to accommodate players within those established limits, hypothetically allowing for the storage of a maximum of 2500 individual items.

Personally, I couldn't fathom stowing away that many items, as I'm guessing I've got about anywhere between 200 to 500 items stored (between items for exchange sale, personal and BOFF inventory backup). I might have more items than that stowed away, but certainly not much more. Hell, I even categorize and number all of my storage emails, specifying their use and specifically noting attachment contents. I do this in order to stay well below the established 500 message limit.

What's more, I have purchased the maximum number of inventory and bank slots. My bank's been full for ages (mostly with bound items, data samples for crafting and such). And I always keep about 24 or so inventory slots clear for a day's loot.

So, to any pedantic make-up rules as you go along trolls who would cry 'exploit!', I would kindly refer you to the first letters of the name Francis Urquhart!

Really, I do wish that a dev would chime in on this issue and ease our minds on this issue. As it stands, my gut tells me this is related to server overload issues and the already acknowledged 'cannot delete email' issue. Yet, I think it's fair to say that we would all appreciate some confirmation on all this.
    methos71

edited May 2013
    If it was an exploit, they would've fixed this a year ago.

While personal items can now be stored in shared bank accounts now, the underlying problem still remains, that there is no place to store DOFFS for Starbase and Embassy Projects.

Which is something people been asking for, since when the DOFFing system went in testing.

So if Cryptic really does care about the players as they claim, they wouldn't be kicking them in the nuts right now, but working with them to make it a win-win situation.

I do believe doff storage was addressed also that's why I have 5 toons that hold 400 doffs each. 2 at 200 toon and 2 with no upgrades yet. now if you have 3 toons with the 400 max doff slots that's 1200 doffs how can that not be enough ? and if it is not buy more slots on another toon . their is a system in place for storeage of your items already.

This discussion has been closed.