test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reputation should be account bound

Comments

• fuzzzikafuzzzika Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drlirio wrote: »
    So, the huge majority of the players who have posted here agree... but you have a different opinion so as soon as no one writes for a couple of hours you decide the thread is dead and make a funny post to kill it, just in case... nice.

Sorry, but there will be more and more threads like this one as people start playing LoR, when they realize they have to repeat the rep grind again for the romulan char and also do the Nukara rep on every char. It is unavoidable, many people will complain, but many more will stop playing a boring grind and will quit the game.

Remember, only a few of the players write here, most don't even know the forum exists. And the ones who write here are usually the ones that care about the game and want it to be succesful, that's why you see most people have forum titles, they are the ones PAYING the developers to keep the game running. If those people are complaining something is wrong. And in this thread there are many of those.

Doing the rep grind once is bad enough, doing it for every char is unbearable. Right now Alts are not viable, and that's bad for the players and Cryptic's income, something has to be done.

Account wide reputation is needed for alts, it does nothing to one-char accounts and gives a huge benefit to multiple-char accounts, so why not?

Oh yes because the Freebs are totally the ones who pay the light bills at cryptic. You got me! I am totally defeated by your wall of text.
  • kalavierkalavier Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What next? Account wide promotions? The rep system is not as difficult as you are claiming.

It's not hard, but it's expensive and boring.

As I said in another thread about rep, my one I'm actively trying to max out Omega rep on has already bankrupted on EC and isn't even to tier 4 yet. I had at least 50k-52k more rep to go, and I'm nearly bankrupt on EC AGAIN (after raiding the EC stash of A DIFFERENT CHARACTER).

I'm in NO way, shape, or form enticed to do the rep on ANY other character, for ANY of the reps based on the experience I've had with a SINGLE char trying to max Omega. I might do the romulan rep on my romulan character simply to get the reman race for free, but otherwise, I'm not enticed to touch any of them.

If it was account wide, (now, I'm meaning overall rep. As in every char who does say, the romulan gain 2k rep points mission goes into the same pool) I'd be more enticed to try and max it.

And, I agree with the view of "Every char inputs to the same account wide rep pool, BUT each char must personally purchase items." aka, an alt must gain the dilithium and marks to buy XII MACO armor, and doesn't get it for free. However they can start working on that instantly upon hitting 50.
    edited May 2013
    kalavier wrote: »
    It's not hard, but it's expensive and boring.

As I said in another thread about rep, my one I'm actively trying to max out Omega rep on has already bankrupted on EC and isn't even to tier 4 yet. I had at least 50k-52k more rep to go, and I'm nearly bankrupt on EC AGAIN (after raiding the EC stash of A DIFFERENT CHARACTER).

I'm in NO way, shape, or form enticed to do the rep on ANY other character, for ANY of the reps based on the experience I've had with a SINGLE char trying to max Omega. I might do the romulan rep on my romulan character simply to get the reman race for free, but otherwise, I'm not enticed to touch any of them.

If it was account wide, (now, I'm meaning overall rep. As in every char who does say, the romulan gain 2k rep points mission goes into the same pool) I'd be more enticed to try and max it.

And, I agree with the view of "Every char inputs to the same account wide rep pool, BUT each char must personally purchase items." aka, an alt must gain the dilithium and marks to buy XII MACO armor, and doesn't get it for free. However they can start working on that instantly upon hitting 50.

I stand corrected. Lets make it it account unlock only. But I say we make it a life time perk only.
  • drliriodrlirio Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm really curious... why are you so much against account wide reputation??? it beats me. If you like the grind missions, you can do them for the fun of it... Why are you so defensive of the actual rep system??? Don't you want more people playing and trying new things with their alts?... how many characters do you have and how many hours do you play daily?? maybe if you give me some answers i could begin to understand your defense of the rep system as it is. Because now I really can't.
    edited May 2013
    I'm really curious... why are you so much against account wide reputation??? it beats me. If you like the grind missions, you can do them for the fun of it... Why are you so defensive of the actual rep system??? Don't you want more people playing and trying new things with their alts?... how many characters do you have and how many hours do you play daily?? maybe if you give me some answers i could begin to understand your defense of the rep system as it is. Because now I really can't.

I am against account wide rep because it makes the game to easy. And i have around 13 toons. most of them are finished with their rep. Romie and Omega. and that's just from doing an ISE and Tau Dewa patrol and radiation daily. Just from doing two toons at a time, because real life calls here and there. Honestly if it was account wide, what is the point to keep me playing after I max it once? other than the fact I pumped out the cash for a life time a few years ago. Honestly the rep system needs to be in the game, because people thought the old loot drop system was to hard. And wanted something different. And now that we have it, no one likes it. Personally I like the system, its faster progress wise cause i can spend about an hour or two and get done what i want. And a if there is account wide rep system, that sounds a bit like a Lifer perk to me.
  • sito1jastsito1jast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Account rep please.

Not doing another rep'd toon again. costs too much.
  • drliriodrlirio Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fuzzzika wrote: »
    I am against account wide rep because it makes the game to easy. And i have around 13 toons. most of them are finished with their rep. Romie and Omega. and that's just from doing an ISE and Tau Dewa patrol and radiation daily. Just from doing two toons at a time, because real life calls here and there. Honestly if it was account wide, what is the point to keep me playing after I max it once? other than the fact I pumped out the cash for a life time a few years ago. Honestly the rep system needs to be in the game, because people thought the old loot drop system was to hard. And wanted something different. And now that we have it, no one likes it. Personally I like the system, its faster progress wise cause i can spend about an hour or two and get done what i want. And a if there is account wide rep system, that sounds a bit like a Lifer perk to me.

Well, it seems that what's fun for you is incredibly boring and repetitive for most os us. I personally think that spending two hours daily for months doing stuff i don't like to do to keep up the progression of the characters before i can actually play some fun content is absurd. If you also take into consideration that most paying players have jobs and they don't play two hours daily then you'll see why we want account wide rep. Not the unlocks, but the tiers, so we are not forced to repeat what we consider boring grind content.

You just said it, nobody likes it.

I kind of understand your view, but i can't agree with you, and you'll have to admit your position sounds a little selfish when everybody is asking for the account based rep. And be serious... 13 chars, you now have to do nukara rep on 13 chars... are you really going to have fun or will it be tedious and repetitive?. If it's for the challenge... well, you can make it optional, like playing on elite, advanced or normal difficulty, let the player choose if he/she wants account based rep, and everybody happy :-)
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What next? Account wide promotions? The rep system is not as difficult as you are claiming.

In hindsight, no it's not.

But there are players who really don't have the time to play everyday. Or players who have multiple characters they have to work, which consumes all their free time grinding, instead of playing for fun.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In hindsight, no it's not.

But there are players who really don't have the time to play everyday. Or players who have multiple characters they have to work, which consumes all their free time grinding, instead of playing for fun.

With costs of romulan rep gear and most likely tholian rep the returns of marks on missions being so low and the pricing with dilithium tags as well as similar requirements of stf/omega gear they really need to do one of two things.

Either raise the amount of marks per mission or reduce costs in the rep store vendors. You have to deal with that issue plus deal with people who are afking making it that much more grindy instead of playing for fun.
    edited May 2013
    Well, it seems that what's fun for you is incredibly boring and repetitive for most os us. I personally think that spending two hours daily for months doing stuff i don't like to do to keep up the progression of the characters before i can actually play some fun content is absurd. If you also take into consideration that most paying players have jobs and they don't play two hours daily then you'll see why we want account wide rep. Not the unlocks, but the tiers, so we are not forced to repeat what we consider boring grind content.

You just said it, nobody likes it.

I kind of understand your view, but i can't agree with you, and you'll have to admit your position sounds a little selfish when everybody is asking for the account based rep. And be serious... 13 chars, you now have to do nukara rep on 13 chars... are you really going to have fun or will it be tedious and repetitive?. If it's for the challenge... well, you can make it optional, like playing on elite, advanced or normal difficulty, let the player choose if he/she wants account based rep, and everybody happy :-)

Here is the funny part all this talk on the forum wont even make a difference. There has always been grinding in MMO's. Let us not forget EQ, ultima, and the list goes on. They went and removed the gear grind from the pre-season 7. And gave the people what they wanted, an easier way to get a gear set. and yes you know what it is easier. All you have to do is the projects and you can have a gear set in about a week an a half. Which if you believe the forums is alot faster than some people. Some reported as saying they did tones of ESTF's and never finished their space/ground gear sets.

Honestly, I kept posting in this thread because its a classic case of,

Game devs, "Here we made it easier for you!"

Players, "OH NO!!! there is to much grinding and repetitiveness!"

Game devs, "But we made it so you didnt have to grind the same instance/raid or what ever we call it!"

Players, "It could have been so much better and easier!"

the reality, of it. Repetitive grinding is progression. if you dont like it, blame the grandfather MMO's.

In case the wall of text was to long and some say TLDR to this entire thread.

There prolly wont be an account wide rep system. And knowing how PWE likes the money, it'd prolly be a lifer perk. Because there are people who would pay it out just for that perk.
  • coryb77coryb77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Would be nice if the special equipment and weapons were account unlocks while all you had to do on each character was tier up. Characters wouldn't get access to the special gear until they reached the required tier.
  • vikingbloodedvikingblooded Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Leave it as it is. The Omega rep is too easy, it only requires 1 stf a day to level it up and maybe a day of marks gathering to gain a MK XII rep item. Hell, if you're smart, you do 2 or 3 STFs and you'll have plenty of marks by the time you hit tier 5.

For Romulan marks, you need all of 5 mins a day. You get 400 romulan marks every 5 days (unless you crit on research). So by the time you reach tier 5, you should have gained 2800 marks minus the marks you need for rep projects.
    RLTW
  • andym5andym5 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    +1 for account rep. The tedium is unreal grinding marks. Bad enough we have to grind stuff for fleet projects but 3 rep projects per toon and an upcoming event rep as well? It's not like the different toons are different people, I maxed the reps, I should be able to see the fruits of that grind across my account. Even if it was faction specific binding, and even if it was just tier & shop unlocks and i still had to earn requisitions per toon it'd be an improvement.

As other have said, if you are that hot on grinding, or just don't mind it, theres nothing stopping you grinding away if you want. All you need to do is T5 your fleet then form another fleet for an endless grind.

Personally I'd like to see all character binds changed to account binds as well, but thats another story :)
  • radkipradkip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think, looking at the Nukara reputation, that I'm finally ready to call it quits on "Grind Trek". To put it shortly, the reputation system in its current form is an insult. It's an alright concept, but it's just... poorly done.

I have five characters I maintain. Two science ground characters for PvP (1 Fed, 1 KDF), one science space character, one ground tactical character and one space tactical character. All I do in this game is PvP. PvE does not provide an adequate challenge even on the highest difficulty settings, so I just bulldoze through it so I can get my reputation stuff.

The reputation perks? Absolutely *required* to participate in PvP, both space and ground. The passives are far too good to pass up. For ground PvP, at the bare minimum you'll need at least one piece of mk XI gear (the omega shield) if you want to survive. For space, you'll likely be using the standard borg engines/deflector/elite fleet shields setup.

When I'm looking at making a new character, it's about three weeks of insane, monotonous grinding before my character has the essentials to participate in PvP without dragging my team down.

It was difficult enough to bother myself with the Romulan reputation, as it has the most awful methods of acquiring marks: tag puppies and wait a week before you get anything worth it, or slog through monotonous, time consuming missions that offer little in return. At least STFs go by quickly.

And now I'm looking at the Nukara Strikeforce reputation and I'm just thinking to myself. What's the point? What is the god damn point? Missions give us even less marks than their Romulan equivalents. And the missions are actually more boring than their Romulan equivalents. Worst off, a sweeping majority of them are old content we've already done.

I was going into this expansion with high optimism until I realised I'd be stuck with the monotonous task of grinding an entirely new reputation on FIVE characters, as well as finishing off what I haven't finished by now, to keep them functioning to their fullest potential. I can't say I have the time for that anymore, nor the heart.

If this were all account bound, or there were some boost on alts for reputations you've already completed, I would stick around for it. But until then, my captains are retired. Between a hideously broken and bugged game, boring PvE and now another reputation to throw salt on the wounds, I can't take it. :|

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
    kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403
  • rast1qqrast1qq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Please cryptic make account reputation or larger projects (for example 10days but without dilithium....). Filling reputation projects on five characters are very boring...I want play STO not GTO(grind).
    FaW+DEM+AtB in pvp = High score , no skill.
    PVP 2014 - Fawn00bs,Vapers and leavers...
  • ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imo they should do an account bound system. but you would have to unlock everything.
    for example, if you have tier 5 in something, then you would have to run the unlock project for each tear (but not the xp collecting part), and you would have to unlock every equipment. the major problem with those unlocks, are the timegates you have to experience all the time (I totally understand the concept, but when that system basically stops players from playing other characters, it should be an issue for cryptic)

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • twoblindmonkstwoblindmonks Member Posts: 255
    edited May 2013
    Id much rather see the level grind account bound and you need to on each character unlock the store and items. Even having it faction based for the leveling would be better than what it is now. So you only need to grind three times, 1 Fed, 1 KDF and 1 Romulan. Better than running 9 characters through.

Most of us made these characters before this excessive grind came in and it's pretty unfair for us when we're expected to either delete characters we've put a lot of work into or to grind each character up.

I agree with this:

The level grind should be account wide unlock, but the items and everything have to be paid for per character.

It should also only become account wide once it hits T5, therefore you have to level each rep with one character when you are first at it.
    I agree with this:

The level grind should be account wide unlock, but the items and everything have to be paid for per character.

It should also only become account wide once it hits T5, therefore you have to level each rep with one character when you are first at it.

Agreed. I really can't take this grind anymore. At their foundation, MMOs are not about grind or character progression. They are about being someone else, somewhere else, on a massive scale with other people. Character development does not equal character progression. The former is achieved through just playing the game and developing an identity, not chasing the carrot.

I can't wait for grind to be phased out of MMOs until we only have the meaty goodness of what a MMO is really about... the feelings you had in Pre-CU SWG. Until such an innovation is in place however.. account wide reputation would be a nice quality of life feature to make players not want to quit playing the game. :)
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."
  • bluegrassgeekbluegrassgeek Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think the rep should be completely account-wide. I do like how Blizzard has been doing the new reputations: once you get to Exalted (Tier5 in STO), you can buy an item that applies bonus reputation for that faction to all your characters.
    ____
    Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
  • mccarronxldmccarronxld Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have over 30 characters. Grinding rep on all of them is not humanly possible :| Its like the fun parts of the game that Cryptic is known for (awesome character visual customization and casual gameplay) are at war with the parts of the game that are in place in order to gate customers and keep them until the next bit of content comes along (rep grind). In the end it has the adverse effect.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,148 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have over 30 characters. Grinding rep on all of them is not humanly possible :| Its like the fun parts of the game that Cryptic is known for (awesome character visual customization and casual gameplay) are at war with the parts of the game that are in place in order to gate customers and keep them until the next bit of content comes along (rep grind). In the end it has the adverse effect.

I got bored after 3 lol... no way I could do 30.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited May 2013
    That's fair. The game honestly doesn't change that much to warrant 30 characters. I just like creating new characters, ships, and bridge crews and end up wanting to continue playing them after 50.. thus why the Rep system is an issue. I wouldn't mind using subpar equipment as long as I got the same visuals that the best stuff provided, but the Rep abilities are really powerful.. and the former is not the case.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    I got bored after 3 lol... no way I could do 30.

To each their own, but to me, I'm have 14 characters, but 9 of them are those I play while the others are mules. But since 3 of them are Romulans, I'm holding off on the Reputation. But grinding the 6 is brutal, given that I now have to run 3 Tholian events to earn enough marks for a single character. And this was during the Mark Event.

Then repeat that 6 times, well you could imagine my head hitting my desk multiple times at this unfun grind.

Cryptic sure loves to torture us with bad content.
  • humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree. I should not have to repeat that horrible grind... i have 7 chars, one has tier V rep on both reputation systems, the rest don't and I don't think they will, ever.

Now with the new expansion we get another reputation system... this is getting more and more boring and not fun. Three reputation systems to grind for each character? Sorry, it is not going to happen, i won't do that, no way. I'll quit the game before doing that.

Cryptic, get this: The more characters I have, the more money I will spend on zen, buying toys for all of them. Now, with the reputation as it is... toys for one, maybe two... so no ships, costumes, boffs, keys, or anything from the Z-Store for the rest of characters, nice move!.

And the new expansion... I might create one romulan character... not going to create more, and not going to spend my money on that faction because i only have one character. Same with klingons... I have one char and no intention of creating another one or spend any money on that faction... because of the rep system. I have not played my klingon char almost since the rep system came alive. You could have saved much work on the new expansion... many people won't even give it a chance if this rep system stays at it is... they will quit the game as i probably will.

I'm not even going to comment on epooh tagging. Cryptic, you should be ashamed of what you are doing to Trek... admirals running behind bunnies and making it by far the best way to obtain romulan marks, that's just amazing! Guess what, never done it, never will... new Romulus is not in the star chart for me... keep boring me, i'll keep holding my money in my hands and not buying any zen until i'm bored enough to quit the game.

This, this, this!

In Season 6 I played all my 12 toons about equally, now most of them just farm Dilithium, which I use for the three I have "repped up". I now do more farming than playing most days.

I suppose the only good point is I can get every new ship, weapon and toy without ever spending any real money.
    edited May 2013
    Has Cryptic said anything on this subject at all recently? Surely they must be doing something to lessen the burden, if not the OP's request.
  • aetam1aetam1 Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have 12 chars at the moment. Only 2 have max romulan/borg rep so far. In the beginning I tried to lvl more of them but it just got too boring. Most are stuck somewhere on the way. Only the borg rep has an easy and enjoyable way to get marks and buying all the stuff you need for a rep project is just annoying.
    You can't even stack the regenerators and such higher than 20 so if you buy lots of them it just needs too much space.

In the end before the rep system I really enjoyed having multiple chars to pick from. I got all of them nice ships and equipment over time, I did STFs with all of them to get the set pieces. Now? Why bother playing them.

In the end they are hurting themselves with char bound reputation. If you play 10 chars you are more likely to buy multiple star ships. If they force people to concentrate on one character it is a bad idea in my opinion.

They should make reputation account bound (maybe faction bound). Or at least some sort of discount. You could give each new character special projects if you have a max rep char on your account.

My stomach is clear and my mind is full of bacon!
  • dracherdracher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    An account rep unlock is a good idea. I am not a big fan of the rep system, and in my view all the rep system grind could have been avoided with a store where items were correctly priced. Before the rep system went live i managed to kit up 2 of my 7 toons easily. Now i stopped working on the rep on all my toons. I answered myself a question: do I want to have fun or to get bored grinding.
    Anyway an account rep unlock would make me start working on my characters, and all the posters above had good suggestions that could balance the game between hard core gamers and casual ones that want to have fun testing all the game has to offer.
  • makimera#4641 makimera Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    got 6 toons and right now im trying to level them up.
    sure i recived 1000 omega marks when the rep system was introduced. but still.
    Having to grind it on all chars is just a pain and not fun at all, it's turned into a chore.

I rather see it become by account or by all chars under a faction. aka. kdf/fed.
    edited May 2013
    Oh god. this entirely pointless thread is still going?

So now I have to ask, are the NP marks to hard to get too?

Oh btw cryptic. I got an idea to help you make money. Make Account wide Rep a life time perk.
  • vulcanclippervulcanclipper Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with OP. Reputation should be account-bound. It took months to earn t5 for Romulan and Omega rep on my main character, I don't see any reason why I have to repeat the grind. It's disheartening.