test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reputation should be account bound

Comments

• binarylogicbinarylogic Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While I would like an account wide reputation system, I don't really see Cryptic changing the rep system at this point. They have their reasons for making the reps character-bound (money related) and they rarely make something that was character-bound account-bound, they usually go the other way around.

However, what I would like to see is a single reputation currency (both fleet and personal reps combined) instead of one for every new reputation system they add to the game. It would help to speed up the progression of the reps as anyone could play any mission that rewards rep marks instead of a few missions that only reward 20 marks or so.

I grant you that it would mean that 90% of people would just grind ESTF's for all the reps. I also realize that it would break immersion in some people's eyes, but then this game has never been heavy on immersion. It would also do away with the choice of marks stuff that has been added to some of the queued missions.

Where a single reputation currency would really shine though, is filling equipment projects on reps other than Omega, where it can take more casual players DAYS to fill a project that would take only an hour or so to fill if it was an Omega project.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nukara will be easy enough for my federation character. Having the lobi enhanced suit enables me to jump to the starting point of T3 almost instantly.

For my klingon character (also T5 Omega and Romulan) i don't look forward to the nukara grind.

For my upcoming Romulan .. well i'll play for the new story, but i am certainly not looking forward to going through the whole Omega, Romulan and new Nukara reputation.

The Romulans should start at Romulus T3-4 because they already whooped the Tal Shiar and cleaned out nimbus.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was thinking... either faction-bound reputation so you only had to do it 3 times (with resource input from all the character from the same faction) OR being able to start the reputation system as soon you started a new character, with the marks being provided by playing story missions, and by the time you reach level 50 you should be at tier 2 or 3, and of course, the story missions stopping giving the reputation marks as soon you reach level 50.

After all... even if you have a level 20 character, the reputation gear is for level 50
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Grind: A repeating task that a player engages in to advance in the game.

No I do not have to sit there killing boars over and over but it is still a grind. Would you rather I use the term resource and time sink?

It's a time-gated sink, yes, so that established chars dont just bring all their marks and commodities and click through it all in one sitting. Everybody has to click once per day. Its not really a grind though. It's ridiculously easy.
  • fuzzzikafuzzzika Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drlirio wrote: »
    I'll tell you the point, trying new ships, careers, builds,... other ways of playing the game.

And after a few weeks as you say it would be nice if some REAL endgame content was introduced, like new STFs, fleet actions... all those things you see that have a queue to play them as a team, for example. Have you heard of the weekly episodes...? It was something everyone looked up to, but the idea "vanished".

New ships, weapons, sets, boffs, fleet advancements,... are not needed if there is no content to use those things. Less lockboxes, sliders to fill with resources, stupid epooh missions,... and more FUN endgame content, please.

Putting the grind back to a reasonable level is the first step to make people create new chars and spend some money in the game... everybody wins, Cryptic and the players. This alone should be a good reason to make reputation account bound.

Oh you mean like the ones that are already in the game? Yeah been playing a while, and I remember them from when they came out. and to be honest, while weekly episodes are fun when you play them. 20 minutes later the fun is over.
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I do not favour an account wide reputation system, because in my view it makes the alt, the other character rather flat. Nevertheless I would like to see some kind of bonus system, so the fact that you have maxed out reputation on one character, is a benefit for other characters on that account.

I also suggested once to make it possible to have your alts on one and the same crew, so you could level and get reputation points for your team. An alternative is to have an alt assigned to the crew of your main. This alt character would not be on your team, but it would receive xp and/or reputation points when you play with the main character.
  • shadowaxxshadowaxx Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have T5 romulan/omega on my Fed, T5 Omega on my KDF and i'm not doing romulan reputation on him...

... at this point, I'm not sure how seriously I'm even going to play any romulan character. In fact I cancelled my Legacy pre-order figuring I'll continue playing my Fed the most.

Certainly there are players who can grind multiple toons all day long. Then there are those of us who squeak by on a couple of hours a day, barely keeping up with the grind of the reputation systems, the fleet build, etc...

... come on PWE, throw us a bone. Do something simply for the FUN of your player base, something like making all of our gear account bound.

Oh well, I waste my QQ because nobody of import is listening.
  • eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The developers should change the Reputation system to be account bound. This is officially a player submitted request to have the Reputation system redesigned to work on an account based system. Players should be allowed (At the very least) to purchase gear from the reputation store (Bind on Equip, Bound to Account.) The reputation system powers could be another matter. Perhaps Reputation across factions would still remain separate, but grinding out the reputation more than once or twice is absolutely ridiculous.

The reputation grind is probably the worst addition to this game and is an insult to the Star Trek community. If we don't act on this, the game developers will take it as far as they want.

We want content not grinding.

I do not agree... there is nothing wrong if you have to work a little to have a full skilled character and this system does not require so much grinding. What I do not like is paying to unlock a store or an item... it's like paying to enter in a store and have a look... it's like paying to unlock the zen or the dilithium store.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • thefastone21thefastone21 Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nope. The grind is a waste of time.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i would not mind it so much if you completed it on one char meant that it unlocked a new rep-mission that gave you double the mission rewards on the rest of your chars. so instead of e,g 1000 rep points it gave you 2000 rep points that would kill off half the grind.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I made a similar thread and I wholeheartedly agree with account-wide Reputation (and certain accolades for that matter). Because like others have said, the more characters you got, the more work you have to do. (And less fun in the process).

And those with Romulan characters, will have to start all over again, (no Winter Epohhs to help out). That said, I am surprised that we don't earn Romulan Reputation in the storyline, because technically our Romulan characters helped found the Romulan Republic and establish New Romulus, so you could be pretty famous (I.E. have serious reputation). As someone said earlier, doesn't have to be all, but be nice if we had most of the work unlocked by the time we hit Tier 5.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I used to disagree with this, but after going through the rep grind with several characters I have to agree that I wish the rep system was account wide. LoR is coming out in a couple days and I have zero desire to take another character through the reputation system. Some will always say (Then don't do the rep system no one is forcing you) but you are gimping yourself if you don't. Particularly in pvp where every extra little advantage helps. Bleh~
    Tza0PEl.png
  • tiggychantiggychan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you may have just created a new rep system idea based with account-wide functionality
    more grinds!
  • cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Farmville one word
    CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
  • glassguitarglassguitar Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I also support 100% account wide reputation system unlocks.
  • latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think this is a good idea, but should be at least optional

(For example, i am now t5 in both omega and rom for my fed, if it automatically copied over to my Klingon, i would have no reason to play.)
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • rudiefix1rudiefix1 Member Posts: 420
    edited May 2013
    And dont forget: Cryptic expects us to start another toon: Romulan. Asside to having the nakura rep for all current toons + new rommie toon, the rommie toon also has to do the omega and rumulan rep AGAIN....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@rudiefix Feds: Rudiefix / Thron / Opa
    @rudiefix KDFs: Lill / Xifeidur / Dehr / Ugly
    @rudiefix Roms (KDF alligned): Chicita
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I posted elsewhere but can't re-find it anymore.

Use something similar to TOR's legacy points.

Whenever I unlock a Reputation tier I gain a 5% reputation boost on my alts. By the Time I complete tier 5 on 3 characters I have a 75% discount to complete projects on any other toon who is starting this. Should be capped at 75% though. A similar boost can be applied to required time of project completion.
    Hell they could even throw in some upgrade projects to unlock the discount.

And store unlocks should be account unlocks.

When I unlock a store item, it should immediately be available for all toons who have completed the same reputation tier.

That way the whole thing would stay alt friendly and even encourage alt play, because you can spread out the different reputations to different characters initially.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How about something similar to the Legacy system in SWTOR, where each character on the account adds to the system as they gain XP.

In the rep window they could have one progress bar for each rep system, you then have to select the one your going to be filling, and then go off an earn skill points/expertise to fill that one. Once you fill it you are given access to the tier 1 rep gear for that rep system, which you then have to unlock in a similar fashion to how it is atm, by dumping EC,Dil, expertise and gear into it, once it's unlocked anyone on that account can buy it if they can use it, which means your alts will have to be at least lvl 40 to use the mark X gear.
    Once you unlock tier 1 the progress bar empties and you have refill it to get to tier 2, and so on up the tiers, and the same thing goes for the other rep systems.

Should keep most people busy running around doing anything that gives lots of skill points/expertise.
  • raptor63549raptor63549 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fuzzzika wrote: »
    Oh wait, after a few weeks of stomping the Borg to death I am bored. Lets play something else.

and making us repeat rep grind is different how?

This is supposed to be a game we do for fun in our spare time NOT a job.
  • luxanabdluxanabd Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i agree with this.:D it needs to change i stoped playing for a little over a year and now i come back and can't even finish projects i had started because i have to go back and grid rep on all my toons. its getting old fast and if the chart i found is right the people posting that is 30 days is wrong so now i have to spend what little time i have to play grinding parts for rep and for what? there are gaps for someone like my self who dose not play alot so i look at it as i need to save the stuff i get just to pour it into the rep system to lvl it to be able to get the XK XII items i want but that means that between tier 2 and tier 4 all im doing to rep no rewards for that and now i have to repeat it for each alt i have this makes me not want to make a new toon witch i have been realy looking forward too and my wife is in the same spot and she ordered a starter pack for LOR, but now dose not want to play due to knowing that she will have to wast at lest a month on rep yet again.

PWE, CRPTIC please make rep acount wide let all toons add for rep if you want to balance it make each one have to unlock the items to me haveing to run the STF's to get the marks or proccesors to unlock and buy things is fine but haveing to run them just for the sake of rep it self gets old fast if end game is only rep grinding then thats no end game:mad:
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmm, I'm going to have to look into the SWTOR Legacy system that was proposed on the previous page. That sounds very interesting and something like that could work here.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • staticmousestaticmouse Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Rep system should account wide benefits.
    Maybe as stated before a discount for alts to level tiers.
  • trekkiemelissatrekkiemelissa Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am for the reputation system to be account bound rather than per character. Like other people have said, the reputation system in TOR is great.

As it is, when we grind the rep system, we have a time limit when we complete a project until another one comes available. The rep system is a bit different in tor as they have a weekly cap per rep. Remember when they do a quest like one of the makeb ones, they get a rep consumable. Once they use that, that adds to the rep whereas here we have to do them as projects.

The thing is that may be of concern is the projects that give you dilithium. Yes we can only grind 8,000 per day, but they may want to set an account cap so that it does not destabilize our economy.
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Account bound tiers but character unlock gear, Makes sense as the character has to work to get the gear rather than it freely given out to alts.

This entire reputation system has made me reevaluate STO. I prefer the KDF gameplay and feel of the game and due to this have totally not touch my Federation characters except turning them into farmers. I have been forced to delete characters I made to have fun on and have decided to only make one Romulan just to play the new content and that will be it. No developing this character, no STF's etc. It too will either be deleted or turned into a farmer due to this insane grind they call a Rep system.

I think all reputation points should be the same, no Omega, Romulan or Tholian. Just Reputation marks that you can use in any reputation system you want. You gain reputation marks for everything like skill points. So if you do a Lore mission, or a campaign mission like Bringing Down the House you get reputation marks for it. The reputation projects should also do away with the commodities and just ask for expertise and marks. Still a grind, but combined with the account bound tiers it won't hit players as hard.

STO has lost a lot of the fun appeal since season 7, it feels more like work now due to the combination of the reputation and fleet systems. I miss the season 4 and 5 days.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Account bound! Account bound! Account bound!

Been saying it all along, glad alot of others are too!

Let the store purchases be individual but the tier 5 rep progression itself be unlocked for the entire account, its purely a waste of time redoing the same bloody thing over and over and over...if the reman is account unlocked why isnt the rest of the system?

its probably the only thing TOR did right was making it an account wide system for all REPUTATION
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• alaerickalaerick Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Totally agree. The rep grind makes alts nothing more than farm toons because grinding out rep once is more than enough. I agree that tiers should be account bound and item unlocks be per character.
    A beautiful death awaits you...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
    Campaign: The Battle of Neverwinter - NWS-DOQXFA4ZD
    Prologue: A not so simple plan - NW-DCJG75B9D
  • fuzzzikafuzzzika Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This entire thread. Yes it has become this

http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/dead-horse.gif
  • drliriodrlirio Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fuzzzika wrote: »
    This entire thread. Yes it has become this

http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/dead-horse.gif

So, the huge majority of the players who have posted here agree... but you have a different opinion so as soon as no one writes for a couple of hours you decide the thread is dead and make a funny post to kill it, just in case... nice.

Sorry, but there will be more and more threads like this one as people start playing LoR, when they realize they have to repeat the rep grind again for the romulan char and also do the Nukara rep on every char. It is unavoidable, many people will complain, but many more will stop playing a boring grind and will quit the game.

Remember, only a few of the players write here, most don't even know the forum exists. And the ones who write here are usually the ones that care about the game and want it to be succesful, that's why you see most people have forum titles, they are the ones PAYING the developers to keep the game running. If those people are complaining something is wrong. And in this thread there are many of those.

Doing the rep grind once is bad enough, doing it for every char is unbearable. Right now Alts are not viable, and that's bad for the players and Cryptic's income, something has to be done.

Account wide reputation is needed for alts, it does nothing to one-char accounts and gives a huge benefit to multiple-char accounts, so why not?
  • valarauko43valarauko43 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What next? Account wide promotions? The rep system is not as difficult as you are claiming.