test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Player Voice

captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
just as the title suggest giving the player character a voice actor, I would say one two voice actors per a race, one male, and one female. I think it would add a little more depth to the story arc and cut scenes that are in the game.
lHut1H2.jpg
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
Post edited by rattler2 on

Comments

• Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    But some players don't want a Voice Actor to protray their character, since it's not their voice.

And this isn't Mass Effect, where you are playing a hero in a storyline. You are the captain and it's your adventure.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    But some players don't want a Voice Actor to protray their character, since it's not their voice.

And this isn't Mass Effect, where you are playing a hero in a storyline. You are the captain and it's your adventure.

so you sit there and read aloud your lines, just asking... kinda weird for me to read it since I play a female Romulan. My main is a male, pretty much me but still wouldn't mind a Voice actor portraying them.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • Options
    neok182neok182 Member Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    though i partly agree, the general consensus with about 95% of gamers is that in games like this where you create your own character there shouldn't be a voice actor that way you can imagine your own voice.

Elder Scrolls series and Fallout for example. And as azurianstar said, this isn't a game like Mass Effect or Saint's Row where even though you can customise your character, your still playing the same character as everyone else.

And though technically thats true in an MMO since were all playing the same story, but you have guilds/fleets and PVE/PVP where thats not the case, more or less.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing this done. on the federation side it wouldn't be too hard, with the exception of aliens basically everyone would talk very similar and you could get away with maybe 2 female and 2 male voices as options.

Klingon would be a bit tougher since all of their species talk differently so the lines would have to be rerecorded for klingon, gorn, orion and the other species. thats a lot of work, and a lot of money.

Assuming 2 voices for male/female romulan would require at least 8 since Romulans and Remans don't talk alike, and you could just choose romulan or reman voice for alien.

But also, forcing aliens to choose a predone species voice would upset some alien players, and then they would turn voice off. And in the end, it's a lot of money and a lot of work for something that the majority of players most likely wouldn't use.

However, i'll end by saying that Cryptic is really going all out with VO's over the past year and maybe in a year or so they'll decide to do this. I sure won't complain. It would be nice for all bridge officers and captains to have a VO for the story lines. And Bethesda with TES4 Oblivion only used like 20 actors for 200 parts so it can be done with just a few actors, your just going to hear the same voice a lot lol.
    ACCESS DENIED
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    NOOO.

1) I cant stand the Tovan actor. I mean he ruins every mission. I would hate to find my own character as grating

2) They dont give you any actual "part" to play. Mostly all you say is continue or agree with what ever you BO just told you.

3) I am so SICK of games with VOs. I feel like I spend most of my sitting there waiting for a freaking cutscene to end. Like in SWTOR, if you played 20 hours, 15 of that was just sitting there.

4) I have usually read all the text before the actors even get past the first sentance

5) A good deal of the writing is bad. Hearing it aloud just makes it even more obvious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    5) A good deal of the writing is bad. Hearing it aloud just makes it even more obvious.

then how about suggesting new story content so if it was spoken it would sound better, yes I agree there are parts of the story that just don't make any sense.
    lHut1H2.jpg
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    captw wrote: »
    so you sit there and read aloud your lines, just asking... kinda weird for me to read it since I play a female Romulan. My main is a male, pretty much me but still wouldn't mind a Voice actor portraying them.

read it aloud no but i do read it in the "voice" i have selected for the character as it is my character with my personality i have selected for said character. there are many missions where my character gives a responce sarcasticly even though it was not writen as such and i doubt it would be voiced as such

example getting a drink for cassidy in night of the comet
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    gpgtx wrote: »
    read it aloud no but i do read it in the "voice" i have selected for the character as it is my character with my personality i have selected for said character. there are many missions where my character gives a responce sarcasticly even though it was not writen as such and i doubt it would be voiced as such

ok now thinking back on those missions I can hear the voices of James Doohan and DeForest Kelley :P, since no one could ever do their voices... EVER again. If I even hear a hint of suggesting the actors from JJ I will throw a brick at them... wherever they are... O^O
    lHut1H2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    This is also why SWTOR will stagnate. They cant just change things because in their case they would have to redo it 10X. If the game last 50 years they would still have the exact same pre 50 content as they do now.

LOL. IN DCUO I swear there are spots they have spliced together a few lines from someones earlier VO work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    i doubt it would be voiced as such

from a lot of what i have heard the actors here have no clue what they are actually even talking about so they are reading than voicing. which is why a lot it sound so disconnected

And they are loud because Every! Line! in the Copy! has and exclamation point!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Agreed, this is what I do as well.
    Even though I'm still waiting for the option to just slap Cassidy, shout "Snap out of it!" and skip this whole nerve tonic business.:P
  • Options
    drachenfelesdrachenfeles Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    keep in mind that roleplay ≠ playing alter ego, but playing a role, and a mute role is so much less fun then one with voiceover

You mentioned SW TOR, true game sucks in many-many aspects, but one thing I enjoyed was dialog thanks to voiceover and cutcene-like setup

similar thing in GW2, simpler but still

not to mention regular cRPG's, first deus Ex anyone? was it bad? job they did rocked at the time and still rocks hard

in other words I'd welcome to hear my character's voice, be it only in some episodes where we see ourselves talking in cutscenes like in 2800
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No to voice overs (maybe an option to record our own?? "Make it so" "Fire all weapons" "you impune my Honour" "Eat hot plasma" "Assimilate this")
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For anyone that does not like the voice overs, you can mute them in the audio options iirc....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Very expensive for what you get in return.

your need suitable voices for Gorn, vulcan, ferengi and the lists goes on. then a female version and there is no guarantee people will like it.

even then the tech might not be adaptable enough to know which species you are and use the right VO at the right time.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    STO is not a game that lends itself to a voiced protagonist. Plus, given Cryptic's voice acting budget do you really want your male characters to be voiced by Captain Shon, and your female characters voiced by Admiral T'Nae?
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would rather not. How do you know what my Jeroan captain sounds like? If we only have 1 male and 1 female for each species, we could end up with old captains sounding like they're only 20 or vice versa. Voice overs for NPC's are fine, but when it comes to my crew, I prefer to read their lines and substitute their voices in my head as I read.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    neok182 wrote: »
    though i partly agree, the general consensus with about 95% of gamers is that in games like this where you create your own character there shouldn't be a voice actor that way you can imagine your own voice.
    I wonder were you found this 95%.

A lot of awesome game storywise were fully voiced. Some not, and the lack VO was pointed as a weakness (Da:O comes to mind).

I played SWTOR, and storywise, it was the best MMO I ever played. That's also the opinion of my friends. GW2 was bad, but not because of the voice acting, but because it was endless boring cutscene were nothing happen, and where the player have no action possible. Not to mention the boring and full of cliche story.
    In SWTOR, you choose what the character say.

I'm playing Defiance from time to time, and the hero is a HL2 Freeman like. Never say a single word. Just like in TSW. He look like a complete idiot, especially because he is asked to do stupid things, and like a good dog he always obey.

In SWTOR, the voices are really good, and they are usually appropriate for the character.

However, in STO, it wouldn't be appropriate. There are simply too many aliens, and you never know what the player will do. Hirogen ? Suliban ? Jem'hadar ? Vorta ? Something small ? Tall ?
    I think no voices in STO is fine. However, I don't think it's fine everywhere, just STO. And I want to have at least a character that talk, using subtitle, not a mute.

Some games are better fully voiced (Mass Effect, swtor), some not. And some you wish there were no cutscene (gw2).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You want your toon to have a voice? Open your mouth and speak the words.
  • Options
    mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm fine with my character not having a voiceover. And think about just how many races there are in the game that they would have to pay 2 people to voice work, and then bring those people back for new or edited content.. where do you think they would get that money? People complain about the prices on the zen store as it is. And then it would be wierd where your "talking" one mission then do a foundry mission and are "mute." Voiceovers are fine for the random NPC but not player characters.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are way too many variables. They'd have to record a different voice for different races(Gorn, Klingons and Romulans wouldn't sound anything alike) and genders. Compound that with all the various cutscenes it'd be used in.. and it just becomes a huge, expensive mess.

That said, I seem to recall Everquest II had a system where you were able to pick from a selection of different voices depending on your race and gender that mostly covered emotes and combat grunts and groans.

Complete player dialogue voiceovers though? No. Not gonna happen.
  • Options
    ahrzahniahrzahni Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I would like to see the option to purchase a voice for my character from the store. Some have commented that paying voice actors is out of budget. Well, if players voted with store purchases I wonder if they would choose to pick a voice? Don't want one then you are not forced to have one. I for one would love the option. Make it even more micro and have voice by mission. Set it up so the voice actors get a royalty each time the voice is purchased or used in a mission. "For 50 ZEN per mission you too can have ??? as the voice of your toon" Let players nominate and then vote on who gets to represent players in game. The options are limitless. Why if one had an android character it would be easy to computer generate the voice. Better yet, record all the individual words used in all the missions and use AI to link them together.
  • Options
    timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Thats one heck of a necro matey, i know you may not realise by being your first post.
    But anything over 30 days without comments is a big no no, unless its in the bug reporting section which is not prone to being locked upon necromancing..
    Most likely one of the mods will be along any minute now to close the thread..
    Perhaps start a new thread on the subject...
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,026 Community Moderator
    Sorry, but this is Necromancy territory, as mentioned above. Please note when the last post was before posting in the future.
    *casts Holy Photon Torpedo*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.