test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"Old ppl in mah Trek!"

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Funny, I still see so many about ESD and even in other MMO games entirely complaining that many of the other players are "too old" to be playing video games...

You have to think about it from the stance that video games were really only JUST catching on about 30 or so years ago, i.e. the mid 1980's. Right along with the (then and ongoing) leaps and bounds in computer technology at the time. It therefore makes little sense to me that just because someone hits 30 years of age and beyond that they would simply stop playing video games. Especially when some of them, myself included, are among the original gamer generation. Even moreso in this particular game, being that Trek pioneered the genre more than 40 years ago and has since upkept a massive fanbase of all ages... And in any case, I wouldn't complain too loudly because of the rampant "old fogies" running about ingame. Who do you think most of the mods and designers are for a good portion of the gaming industry overall? I'm willing to bet it's the original gamer generation.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Funny, I still see so many about ESD and even in other MMO games entirely complaining that many of the other players are "too old" to be playing video games...

You have to think about it from the stance that video games were really only JUST catching on about 30 or so years ago, i.e. the mid 1980's. Right along with the (then and ongoing) leaps and bounds in computer technology at the time. It therefore makes little sense to me that just because someone hits 30 years of age and beyond that they would simply stop playing video games. Especially when some of them, myself included, are among the original gamer generation. Even moreso in this particular game, being that Trek pioneered the genre more than 40 years ago and has since upkept a massive fanbase of all ages... And in any case, I wouldn't complain too loudly because of the rampant "old fogies" running about ingame. Who do you think most of the mods and designers are for a good portion of the gaming industry overall? I'm willing to bet it's the original gamer generation.

ill be 29 in a few days ..... my moto is play to you die and then hope the afterlife has a computer :eek:
    laughs to her self
  • Options
    edited April 2011

[Old Fogey Voice]...Wait till I get my cane... then we can go beat the tar out of them young whipper-snappers... [/Old Fogey Voice]
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    i am sure the average age of the gamer is rising because computers and computer games are still a relatively new concept. its only been a few decades that they have been around. now that younger generation who were the original gamers are getting older but they are still interested and up-to-date with the latest tech.

as computers become more of a way of life in schools and recreation its becoming more ingrained in our life and in the past the now older generation did not have that. my mum and dad never had computers when they were young so they dont really understand them or even need them now. i doubt i will ever stop using a computer no matter how old i am, so the gamer in me has been there since the beginning.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I remember back in the day, when LAN Party's were still the cool thing to do...
    i and my group were about dont know, 18 - 20?... we had a LAN in a Sport hall or something and there was a movable Wall... after 30 minutes of NOISE we put that wall between all the 13 year old Counter Strike kiddies and us, suddenly the decibel level went down to a normal value again and everyone was lika "aahhhhh".....

and we made equally fun of them annoying younglings in our UT2k4 clan.

...haven't seen any of that behaviour in STO yet.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I actually have a bunch of people over the age of 35 in my fleet. They are all actually pretty cool people.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Lufia wrote:
    ill be 29 in a few days ..... my moto is play to you die and then hope the afterlife has a computer :eek:
    laughs to her self

I'm 29.9 myself. Next year I'll be 29.99, then 29.999. Hopefully nobody will catch on >.>
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hravik wrote:
    I'm 29.9 myself. Next year I'll be 29.99, then 29.999. Hopefully nobody will catch on >.>

You keep that up and you'll eventually turn into a lizzard. :p

I'm personally going to be comming up on my 23rd, 29th b-day in October.

Or my 31st, 21st B-day. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hravik wrote:

Yeah, I tried that, didn't work for long. I think my mistake was actually letting people know I had a birthday, don't draw attention to it and let me know how it went.

Also, if you get married, you're going to be told, "Oh no, mister. If I've got to be 30, you're sure as hell going to be 30, too." Even if you're 28, you're going to be 30 and you're going to like it.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I actually have a bunch of people over the age of 35 in my fleet. They are all actually pretty cool people.
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the [URL=" http://forums.startrekonline.com/announcement.php?f=70&a=2"]Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines[/URL] GMMeeko
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    [Old Fogey Voice]...Wait till I get my cane... then we can go beat the tar out of them young whipper-snappers... [/Old Fogey Voice]

Lol, someone go fetch my walker... Yes, the transwarp capable one!

I was shocked shortly before I left Guild Wars, as I discovered that aside from myself the guild I was in consisted almost entirely of folks 45+... And I'd have never been the wiser if they'd not just mentioned it one day out of the blue. I was all, "Wait a tick... So am I the only one here still in his twenties?" It was a moment of revelation on my part.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    By the way. For future references. I'm 23. I'll be 24 in November.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Taking into account I made 46 yesterday, and I still love playing computer games, I'm not surprised in the least.

Also, kids these days think they are the be-all, end-all gaming generation, but what they are actually is mostly a bunch of spoiled brats. They all sing the same tune, by Queen:

"I WANT IT ALL,
    I WANT IT ALL,
    AND I WANT IT NOW!"

No patience at all.

This comic comes to mind.

I hear there's an EQ3 in development. * ponders*
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Kind of bothers me that people blame the younger gamers for that trend. It's overwhelmingly the fault of our own generation. The 25+ demographics spend immensely more on video games than the younger demograhpics, but also have significantly less leisure time. The entire trend toward what the industry called "completable challenge" was because the people spending the most money by an order of magnitude wanted to enjoy games, experience storylines, and immerse themselves in game worlds, not break controllers.

Edit: Another relevant comic.

I get it, nobody wants to be in the choir that sang the song to end the world, but blaming the age group that's predominantly wanted more challenge in video games, but whose opinions are disregarded because we spend twenty times what they do on games is patently ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Taking into account I made 46 yesterday, and I still love playing computer games, I'm not surprised in the least.

Also, kids these days think they are the be-all, end-all gaming generation, but what they are actually is mostly a bunch of spoiled brats. They all sing the same tune, by Queen:

"I WANT IT ALL,
    I WANT IT ALL,
    AND I WANT IT NOW!"

No patience at all.

I wouldn't be too hard on them... Until said time when again I see them ranting in zone chat anyway lol. Time is a funny thing in the fact that trends and things once coveted fade. Eventually either joining the realm of the nostalgic or simply becoming something utterly laughable. All things in good time, they'll be no different at our age no doubt.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    No, seriously.

It almost makes me force them to play Diablo II and look for a Stone of Jordan. You will be lucky if you get one in six months.

Or putting together ANY set.

Talk about hard. And I don't ask for them to play in D2 hardcore mode, where you get killed. Once. Then it's game over, make a new character.

I can almost hear the whining and the wailing...
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    No, seriously.

It almost makes me force them to play Diablo II and look for a Stone of Jordan. You will be lucky if you get one in six months.

Or putting together ANY set.

Talk about hard. And I don't ask for them to play in D2 hardcore mode, where you get killed. Once. Then it's game over, make a new character.

I can almost hear the whining and the wailing...

Oh don't get me started lol... I still play that game and anxiously await the third one... And Hardcore mode was something else entirely. One tends to fight MUCH harder when he/she literally only has one life to live.

But yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. As most games nowadays seem to be catering more and more toward "user friendliness"... Which is ultimately making the games easier, and the gameplay itself cheaper overall. Come to think of it, mentioning set items and the like, my lead character in STO doesn't have a single item onboard ship or on his person that is not at least rare or better.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "I WANT IT ALL,
    I WANT IT ALL,
    AND I WANT IT NOW!"

No patience at all.

WTF? yesterday i had my windows open (the ones in the wall) and there was a Kid outside literally singing that song!!!

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!
  • Options
    edited April 2011

"I WANT IT ALL,
    I WANT IT ALL,
    AND I WANT IT NOW!"

No patience at all.

They are called the now Generation...heheh I guess I’m one of those first generation gamers been almost 29.:cool:
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Z3R0B4NG wrote: »
    WTF? yesterday i had my windows open (the ones in the wall) and there was a Kid outside literally singing that song!!!

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

What blasphemy is this?... Children... Outside... It's utterly unheard of!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    They are called the now Generation...heheh I guess I’m one of those first generation gamers been almost 29.:cool:

I thought the new term was "Millennium's"?
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I'd just resigned myself to calling them the "Spongebob Generation"... Who can say definetively?
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Er not really, you'd need to be in your late 30s/early forties and remeber things like playing space invaders in an arcade, or Jet Set Willy on the ZX Spectrum, or Missile Command, or any of those old games.

Or the very first 'MMO' - Gauntlet
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Er not really, you'd need to be in your late 30s/early forties and remeber things like playing space invaders in an arcade, or Jet Set Willy on the ZX Spectrum, or Missile Command, or any of those old games.

Don't forget PONG. :D:
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    :-) my first computer a commodore 16+4 then a spectrum128k+2 then a amiga 1200 / 4000
    finally the pc
    Gets walking stick out :D
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Ive heard of that one to...think there are a few discriptions for them lol.
    Maybe we should invent a few hahaah.:D
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    45 year old mother of four, grand mother of five.

We didn't have computers & computer games when I was growing up, not until the ZX 81 came out, then followed by the trusty Commodore 64. I hated all the twitchy Platform games of the time so my younger brother used to take the controller & I'd guide him ... he's 43 this year & still plays GTA III & Red Dead Redemption, but he's not as good with the controller these days, having joint problems. My Older brother loves the Sims series.

We used to play the old text-based adventure games, incorporating my dolls & my brothers Action Men. We even played the Star Trek based one & I used to write my own adventures & play Game-Master as my brothers played through. We established our own set of main characters, & one of my Captains & Crew in STO is based on those same characters.

My first 'real' computer was DOS, & I couldn't figure it out, so I sent it back. I rediscovered Computers again in 1998, with Windows. Been gaming since then, primarily mmo's since 04 (SWG)

Am I too old to play computer games? Hell no.
    Would I ever stop playing computer games? Only when I'm dead, unless there is gaming in the After-Life.

I would be more embarrassed if I was one of those boring people who just sat & watched TV during their R&R hours.

In games I am always mentally active, whether I am fighting an 80 foot Dragon or traversing a Black Hole in the depths of space, or maybe fighting shoulder to shoulder with two dozen other fellow adventurers closing rifts & tears into other dimensions ... .... Life is an Adventure ... Life is Exciting ....

... maybe tomorrow I'll be doing the Kessel Run in less than 11.5 parsecs

Because I can!

:cool:
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I was rocking on my commodore 64 back in the day, so are you sure about that?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Katarine wrote:
    45 year old mother of four, grand mother of five.

We didn't have computers & computer games when I was growing up, not until the ZX 81 came out, then followed by the trusty Commodore 64. I hated all the twitchy Platform games of the time so my younger brother used to take the controller & I'd guide him ... he's 43 this year & still plays GTA III & Red Dead Redemption, but he's not as good with the controller these days, having joint problems. My Older brother loves the Sims series.

We used to play the old text-based adventure games, incorporating my dolls & my brothers Action Men. We even played the Star Trek based one & I used to write my own adventures & play Game-Master as my brothers played through. We established our own set of main characters, & one of my Captains & Crew in STO is based on those same characters.

My first 'real' computer was DOS, & I couldn't figure it out, so I sent it back. I rediscovered Computers again in 1998, with Windows. Been gaming since then, primarily mmo's since 04 (SWG)

Am I too old to play computer games? Hell no.
    Would I ever stop playing computer games? Only when I'm dead, unless there is gaming in the After-Life.

I would be more embarrassed if I was one of those boring people who just sat & watched TV during their R&R hours.

In games I am always mentally active, whether I am fighting an 80 foot Dragon or traversing a Black Hole in the depths of space, or maybe fighting shoulder to shoulder with two dozen other fellow adventurers closing rifts & tears into other dimensions ... .... Life is an Adventure ... Life is Exciting ....

... maybe tomorrow I'll be doing the Kessel Run in less than 11.5 parsecs

Because I can!

:cool:

There is no reason why age should stop gaming...my dad who hasn’t touched a computer ever in his life has just bought one...oh the training and headaches I will get from that lol...but I plan to slowly introduce him to gaming mahahahaha.
    Shhh don’t tell him, he must not know my deviant plans.
    :D
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    First Video games that I can recall is old school arcades (Pac-man, Asteriods, etc.). So many hours spent pumping coins into machines. I recall getting kicked out of an arcade when they started putting in the 50 cent games, I said some very unfriendly things to the guy running it lol.
    Rocked the hell out of my Atari for most of the 80's, til 88 when I got a NES for Christmas.

33, and hopefully got 40+ years more of gaming coming.

Also, my mother (62) has recently gotten into online gaming...started with that Farmville dung, now she's onto Freerealms.....I'll have her playing real MMO's by 65!

Plus, with this IP, it's not that amazing to see people who are 40+ playing. If you were 10 when ST launched, you're 55 now.......

Edit: I do find the whole "under 25 you're a tard" arguement amusing. The people MAKING and approving the games, movies and whatnot are mostly in their 30's or older. Not too many movie studio heads in their 20's. See the latest SW and Indiana Jones film to see that the "old school" people can make TRIBBLE too.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I am less than 20 and 8 weeks old.

I beat you! :D