test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Network Outage (Resolved!)

Comments

• ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    trekie564 wrote: »
    show some god-**** respect for the STO team!!!

Why? STO is a business and the Team is currently doing a rather bad job at running it.
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    x0ligy wrote: »
    Cyptic suck at customer service and support.

So glad i stopped spending in my first week of starting this game and even though i WANT to spend more i keep holding back because of these so called issues they are unable to solve because they hire monkeys instead of people that know what they are doing.

Anyway pointless staying here ad writing TRIBBLE they dont read it, nor care what there players think nor say about them but they have my vote for worst company.

I don't think its the monkeys, its the monkeys PC they are using for the server. Latest update stated they are going to make some hardware changes before they bring it back up again. Does this mean that they called home and asked Benny to bring his PC over so they can network two together? One for STO and the other one for Neverwinter?

Probably...:rolleyes:
  • atomicshedatomicshed Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey this free thing that I don't pay for isn't working! Boo!

<leans back in rocking chair, taps pipe on knee and stares thoughtfully at the horizon>

I remember the great lag of '08, back in the paid days of City of Heroes. Rubber banding got so bad folks were actually nauseous...
  • warp2126warp2126 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hydrodura wrote: »
    you mean star trek offline

LOL>. common... we know these guys do get it anyway.
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This seems quite fitting, no idea how many of you know about "The Great Smog"? It happened in London in the 1950s and killed more people than I'd care to say. Fascinating stuff, I encourage you to read all about it!

Intro

The Great Smog of '52 or Big Smoke[1] was a severe air pollution event that affected London during December 1952. A period of cold weather, combined with an anticyclone and windless conditions, collected airborne pollutants mostly from the use of coal to form a thick layer of smog over the city. It lasted from Friday 5 to Tuesday 9 December 1952, and then dispersed quickly after a change of weather.

Although it caused major disruption due to the effect on visibility, and even penetrated indoor areas, it was not thought to be a significant event at the time, with London having experienced many smog events in the past, so called "pea soupers". However, government medical reports in the following weeks estimated that up until 8th December 4,000 people had died prematurely and 100,000 more were made ill because of the smog's effects on the human respiratory tract. More recent research suggests that the total number of fatalities was considerably greater at about 12,000.[2]

It is known to be the worst air pollution event in the history of the United Kingdom,[3] and the most significant in terms of its effect on environmental research, government regulation, and public awareness of the relationship between air quality and health.[2] It led to several changes in practices and regulations, including the Clean Air Act 1956.

Events

Sources of pollution

The weather preceding and during the smog meant that Londoners were burning more coal than usual to keep warm. Post-war domestic coal tended to be of a relatively low-grade, sulphurous variety (economic necessity meant that better-quality "hard" coals tended to be exported), which increased the amount of sulphur dioxide in the smoke. There were also numerous coal-fired power stations in the Greater London area, including Battersea, Bankside, and Kingston upon Thames, all of which added to the pollution. Research suggests that additional pollution prevention systems fitted at Battersea may have actually worsened the air quality, reducing the output of soot at the cost of increased sulphur dioxide, though this is not certain. Additionally, there were pollution and smoke from vehicle exhaust?particularly from diesel-fuelled buses which had replaced the recently abandoned electric tram system?and from other industrial and commercial sources.[4] Prevailing winds had also blown heavily polluted air across the English Channel from industrial areas of Continental Europe.

Weather

On 4 December 1952, an anticyclone settled over a windless London, causing a temperature inversion with cold, stagnant air trapped under a layer (or "lid") of warm air.[5][6] The resultant fog, mixed with chimney smoke, particulates such as those from vehicle exhausts, and other pollutants such as sulphur dioxide, formed a persistent smog, which blanketed the capital the following day. The presence of tarry particles of soot gave the smog its yellow-black colour, hence the nickname "peasouper".[4] The absence of significant wind prevented its dispersal and allowed an unprecedented accumulation of pollutants. When the smog eventually lifted there was a black-grey covering of slimy soot particles on all of the top surfaces out of doors. This sooty grime stayed there until a few days later when the first rains came. This soot covering was then washed off the surface of evergreen leaves, buildings and pavements, etc., into gutters and down the drains in dirty black rivulets. The pungent smell about in the atmosphere was of acrid wet soot, which made the eyes and nostrils smart for those unfortunate to be caught out in the open.

Effect on London

Although London was accustomed to heavy fogs, this one was denser and longer-lasting than any previous fog.[7] Visibility was reduced to a few yards ("It's like you were blind", commented one observer),[8] making driving difficult or impossible.

Public transport ceased, apart from the London Underground; and the ambulance service stopped functioning, forcing sick people to transport themselves to hospital.[8] The smog even seeped indoors, resulting in the cancellation or abandonment of concerts and film screenings as visibility decreased in large enclosed spaces, and stages and screens became harder to see from the seats. Outdoor sports events were also affected.

In the inner London suburbs and away from town centres there was no disturbance by moving traffic to thin out the dense fog in the back streets. The result was that visibility could be down to a metre or so in the daytime. Walking out of doors became a matter of shuffling one?s feet to feel for road kerbs, etc. This was made even worse at night because each back street lamp at the time was fitted with an incandescent light-bulb which gave no penetrating light onto the pavement for pedestrians to see their feet, or even the lamp post. Fog-penetrating fluorescent lamps did not become widely available until later on in the Fifties. ?Smog masks? were worn by those who were able to purchase them from chemists.

Near railway lines, on which 'fog working' was implemented, loud explosions similar to the report of a shotgun were a common feature. These explosions were made by 'detonators', a form of large percussion cap placed on the track and activated by the wheels of trains. These were placed by certain signals to provide an audible warning to match the visual indication provided by the signal for the driver.

Health effects

There was no panic, as London was renowned for its fog. In the weeks that ensued, however, statistics compiled by medical services found that the fog had killed 4,000 people.[9] Most of the victims were very young or elderly, or had pre-existing respiratory problems. In February 1953, Lieutenant-Colonel Lipton suggested in the House of Commons that the fog had caused 6,000 deaths and that 25,000 more people had claimed sickness benefits in London during that period.[10]

Most of the deaths were caused by respiratory tract infections from hypoxia and as a result of mechanical obstruction of the air passages by pus arising from lung infections caused by the smog. The lung infections were mainly bronchopneumonia or acute purulent bronchitis superimposed upon chronic bronchitis.[11]

More recent research suggests that the number of fatalities was considerably greater, at about 12,000.[2]

Environmental impact

The death toll formed an important impetus to modern environmentalism, and it caused a rethinking of air pollution, as the smog had demonstrated its lethal potential.

New regulations were implemented, restricting the use of dirty fuels in industry and banning black smoke.

Environmental legislation since 1952, such as the City of London (Various Powers) Act 1954 and the Clean Air Acts of 1956 and 1968, led to a reduction in air pollution. Financial incentives were offered to householders to replace open coal fires with alternatives (such as installing gas fires), or for those who preferred, to burn coke instead (a bi-product of town gas production) which produces minimal smoke. Central heating (using gas, electricity, oil or permitted solid fuel) was rare in most dwellings at that time, not finding favour until the late 1960s onwards.

Despite improvements, insufficient progress had been made to prevent one further smog event exactly ten years later in early December 1962.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • quadraxis666quadraxis666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Twice in one evening... thats TRIBBLE. I was gonna do the tour for ec that I can't really think of a use for right now but I guess instead I'll go sit in front the tv in my underpants eating beans out of the tin.
  • schreader1718schreader1718 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This whole process has been nothing but a disaster for me. First of all, I started doing the updates required to get into the Open Beta yesterday afternoon at about 4:30 p.m. EDT. It is now 5:30 p.m. EDT and I am only halfway through it. The launcher has been cut off several times due to "timeouts" and servers not responding. I've tried using both the EU and US proxies, with no change. At this rate, I expect to finally have access to the Open Beta just in time for it to end.

I am a subbie who has dumped a considerable amount of cash into this game in a relatively short period of time. (BranFlakes, you know me as the friend of Gurny who gave him a list of suggestions, including the Canon Legacy Registry and the Z-Axis console.) I'm not asking for anything special out of this, only the opportunity to experience the Open Beta before the time expires.
  • punktribblepunktribble Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hmm friend just called me
    "What are you playing?"
    me-"STO"
    him "Ah Star Trek Online still?"
    me-"Nope Star Trek Offline.......it's the newest thing."
    :P
  • priapus1priapus1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    so i notice that a lot of people are saying things about different servers????? wouldnt you think that perfect world/cryptic would have them any way???? this is just bad I.T.
  • bigmarine2bigmarine2 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Semper Fi!
    and I'm a Retired CPO, and I would say that my fav. guy from history would be John Paul Jones......

GO NAVY !!!!

hey navy isn't that bad they have great food, thats the one thing i will remember about the navy... that i'll put on the internet
    OOORAH! USMC FOREVER
  • carrowcanarycarrowcanary Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    porchsong wrote: »
    Nerd Rage deux. . . in . .3. . 2. . .1 .. .

-SNIP-

Star Wars is an American an "evil empire".

I'd be really impressed if you typed that from memory instead of copy-pasting it :D
  • solcratessolcrates Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    everything is down but you still can buy zen.
  • sardiajaxsardiajax Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    porchsong wrote: »
    Nerd Rage deux. . . in . .3. . 2. . .1 .. .

-snip-.

Instead of a copy/paste wall, just link the page, sheesh
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    priapus1 wrote: »
    no way i'll never even look at that game again

You say that. But Dark Souls has a way of sneaking up behind you....and hitting you with an insanely large hammer before giving you THE FEAR @_@&quot;
  • zidanetribalzidanetribal Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mere complaining is unproductive.

We should compose complaint poems instead! :)
  • acavalloacavallo Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    atomicshed wrote: »
    Hey this free thing that I don't pay for isn't working! Boo!

<leans back in rocking chair, taps pipe on knee and stares thoughtfully at the horizon>

I remember the great lag of '08, back in the paid days of City of Heroes. Rubber banding got so bad folks wuz actually nauseous...

Hey I ACTUALLY PAY for this free thing that isn't working so yeah.... I'm frosty.
  • foxhunt75foxhunt75 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Of course you're happy, but what about *my* needs? This is all a damned inconvenience.
  • sjokruhlicasjokruhlica Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Come on guys, this is just a STO event, celebrating the new movie - Star Trek: Into Darkness. :rolleyes:
  • dinos2012dinos2012 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    trekie564 wrote: »
    really? is all some people care about griping at P.W. and STO? and you are ALLREADY griping for free stuff? show some god-**** respect for the STO team!!!

Your transphasic quantum photonic cannon deals 100,000,000 damage to trekie564 ship sending trekie564 to oblivion and back and in and back again !!...fruitcake
  • cuberiscuberis Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Once again the test server crashes. But, it's a test server, the Crash, I was totally expecting.

Yet, 1 problem, I'm having though. the regular server is up and running, yet, my
    updated and patch version of the application and regular application are reading
    the live holodeck, red shirt and tribble, servers are down.

just wondering if the same thing is being displyed on others computers.
  • priapus1priapus1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    down for maintenance..........dont put a band aid on it and say its fixed. FIX IT so it doesnt happen again!!!!!!!!!!
  • trekkiequeentrekkiequeen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • oowoonoowoon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, figured as a way to pass a few minutes, I'd hunt up my old mW4 Mercs sig, and apply it here. Hehehehe.:cool::D:cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • carrowcanarycarrowcanary Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mere complaining is unproductive.

We should compose complaint poems instead! :)
    How about haikus?

The servers are down,
    What the frak is going on,
    It occurs too much.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,671 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    joker13874 wrote: »
    :DIs a good day to die "server":D
    Ingredients:

1 pound dry ziti pasta
    1 onion, chopped
    1 pound lean ground beef
    2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
    6 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
    1 1/2 cups sour cream
    6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain.
    2. In a large skillet, brown onion and ground beef over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes.
    3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer as follows: 1/2 of the ziti, Provolone cheese, sour cream, 1/2 sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
    4. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted.

seriously? you use sauce from jars?
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • ivannanukeivannanuke Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PROUD TO PLAY THIS GAME MINUS TO GIVING ANY INCOME TO CRYPTIC
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How about haikus?

The servers are down,
    What the frak is going on,
    It occurs too much.

You win, we can't have a haiku competition now :(