What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

4 May 2013 Server Crash (Resolved!)

Comments

• Options
    mattimeo97mattimeo97 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I kinda did mean an update page for today, rather than the patchnotes page. All I've seen from Cryptic about this is a crappy text box on the front page that says "****s on fire yo, we's tryin to fix it".

Which tells us absolutely nothing we didn't already know, gives us no time frame and little hope that anyone at Cryptic knows whats going on, what they're doing or even cares what its customers think.

Jan 2013?

Welcome to Cryptic. It's called that for a reason. They'll let you know when the servers are back up after they're back up. That's the best you can hope for, as far as an explanation goes.
  • Options
    jonathan#1031 jonathan Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually, I recall during the Atari Days,

The chat servers were down, and the realm servers remained up. So I think the game runs on atleast two servers. Chat and Game Play.... From what I recall is that login servers are also a different server than Game play, because they were doing maintainence on the login servers and players were informed that login would not be possible during the maintenance....

So probably this:

Login to Account Server (Not sure if its shared)
    Chat on a Global Chat Server (All cryptic chatter)
    Realm servers for the game play.... (Potentially shared)

but, I probably only have speculation... and intellectual property would probably limit their staff from telling us.
    <|>< . . . <z^>< . . . <zX^>< <( (..) )> oO(There's always a bigger Fish in the sea.)
  • Options
    kirkson2kirkson2 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pushes the vulcan into the overheating radiation chamber..maybe this will help....
    Klingons smell worse than wookies:D
  • Options
    kryznixkryznix Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What do you get when you run Neverwinter and Star Trek Online through the same network?

Never Online. :P

ROFLMAO!

what sucks is apparently this is true :(
  • Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Never said they were online long.... ;)

hahah yeah..thats true
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    gallowsbait1gallowsbait1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    Too many threads now its pushing everything important off the first page

Everything that important is stickied. Everything else is just current chatter, server outage is a very current issue.

Any online game forum is the same with an outage, getting on your high horse about it won't change anything.
  • Options
    totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Star Trek Online is currently offline"

Well put it online then !
  • Options
    disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would suggest you all play minecraft. Before you know it it will be the 21st and we can all come together back here to complain about the download time or that the romulans arent green enough.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • Options
    daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have been compensated, I get to read all the hilarious posts in the threads that have sprung up since the servers went down.

Some of it is comedy gold, if that's not sufficient compensation then I don't know what is :P
  • Options
    dbk3dbk3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pffff.... they don't even update the twitter page

https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame
  • Options
    infydelinfydel Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    four times in two days it's been down for more than a couple of hours :(
    Vulcans are MEAN
  • Options
    whoami2whoami2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thats it its 2am here im going to sleeeep ahhhhh
  • Options
    daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    totenmet wrote: »
    "Star Trek Online is currently offline"

Well put it online then !

The 5 1/4 floppy got bent
  • Options
    coldbeer72coldbeer72 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    squatsauce wrote: »
    Other MMO's to try:

RaiderZ: Actiony, grindy, pretty.
    Tera: Same
    Dungeons and Dragons Online: Robust character creation, decent mechanics, well-done F2P
    Lord of the Rings Online: Hobbits with banjos are healers for some reason.
    Dungeon Fighter Online: Online 2D beat-em-up.
    EVE Online: Space Douchebagerry
    Arcane Legends: Looks kinda like Torchlight, plays kinda like diablo.
    Pirate 101: Flying pirates and kung-fu cranes. Super kid-friendly.
    DC Universe Online: Play as any number of Batman ripoffs.
    World of ********: Who even knows?

There are tons of others, but that's a list of decent enough ones that are free to at least try out.

Might try LOTR, as am an 'old school' sci fi/fantasy fan....EVE maybe a possibility, but have heard....bad thing about it.....anyone with eperiences there?
  • Options
    jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's a world out there, you know. It has trees and animals and stuff. It's pretty cool. :D
  • Options
    donutsmasherdonutsmasher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can't really blame Cryptic for everything, for all you know there might be a power outage at the datacentre. What do you want them to do? Get in the car, plug the power cable back in and pop home?!?

I've donated 19 EUROS for a Dreadnought Cruiser (just love the scene on TNG), which I am gladly playing. The reason they want money is for working their backsides off coding this game most of their time, and your moaning about 1 - 2 hour outage?

At least be grateful for the game, they have a whole staff team coding it, I just can't wait for Legacy Of Romulus.

Keeping us updated with more than just an "Its broken, we fix" message on the front page would be a damn good start.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • Options
    stunnednukestunnednuke Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    Where in the hell are you getting that from?? 99.9% sure that definitely wasn't from an official source. In fact the only thing that was stated about the crash yesterday from Branflakes was that there was a hardware failure.

Chances are whatever component failed yesterday caused more damage or damaged another component causing that one to fail tonight.

I agree on this, there isn't one fan in a computer, there are multiple such as case fans and CPU fan. It would just overheat and corrupt, not catch on fire!

Probably is one of these things: Hardware, D/DoS attack, network issues and power outage.
  • Options
    lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited May 2013
    coldbeer72 wrote: »
    Might try LOTR, as am an 'old school' sci fi/fantasy fan....EVE maybe a possibility, but have heard....bad thing about it.....anyone with eperiences there?

Or if you like a modern day setting with a twist, The Secret World.
  • Options
    daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

technically and functionally EVEs a great game. However it's definitely a love or hate it environment. Tastes vary
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    Split the servers and have several (Uk/western europe, USA , Eastern europe, asia , australia etc)
    put NW and Sto on different servers

I would still keep the world servers, some servers would be dead if you split them up, but I completely agree with STO and NW being on different servers.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    mattimeo97mattimeo97 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

EVE is good stuff. Whoever you can catch, kill and eat.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

you should give The Secret World a try - they have a F2P mechanic that ISN'T pay-to-win, and it's not a bad game
    Vulcans are MEAN
  • Options
    whoami4whoami4 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Come on! I was helping someone with thier klingon and suddenly it logs me out! :mad:
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    eazzie wrote: »
    If your a Raptr user then today you could be in with a chance to win a legacy pack. Brandon is doing a live feed today

Considering you have to agree to giving raptr access to EVERYTHING on your computer you'd be nuts to be a raptr user, luckily I don't think you have to be one for the livestream.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's more than you get with most places. I've been on sites where they don't even acknowledge a problem on their end.

EDIT: Also, would you rather they fix the problem or come here to tell you why it isn't working?
  • Options
    skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    battykoda0 wrote: »
    Since I play for free like most everyone else does, I recon we will get free days added to the end of our current billing cycle. If you do have a sub or are lifetime, based on $15 per month, you have lost 50 cents so far in play time paid for. That's worth less than the day's worth of dilithium you likely missed even in this whacked exchange. If they want to make a gesture of good will toward me, they can tape the extension cord running from the server to the power strip across the room down so whoever the clumsy person is quits tripping on it and pulling it out of the socket.

I'll take a day's worth of dilithium.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    alonys wrote: »
    That's an insult to gerbils.

Ever since the Saga of Lemmiwinks, it is impossible to insult gerbils.

kesxex wrote: »
    The epohh upgrade didn't work out.

Epohhs are on strike as they want to be patted like tribbles and the developers can't make that animation work.
    I heard the real problem was that 97 Drizzt clones got out of NWO and loose in STO looking for something to get their server back online. Despite the fact that our two test server epohhs being locked in a box and completely peaceful, the Drizzt's attacked them anyway.

The three Drizzt's who survived the battle did finally manage to get them into a box and were last seen heading back to fantasyland to try and get the Beholder server back online.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    infydel wrote: »
    you should give The Secret World a try - they have a F2P mechanic that ISN'T pay-to-win, and it's not a bad game

plus you can find out all about how the Soviet Union invaded the Hollow Earth in the 1960s with an army of cyborg vampires
    Vulcans are MEAN
  • Options
    coldfusion2012coldfusion2012 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well i will check back in an hr but looking at how long this tread has been open with no sort of explanation to why the server not online gonna use this time constructively and play candy crush
    IT'S WORSE THAN THAT IT'S A GAME JIM
  • Options
    coldbeer72coldbeer72 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daskippa wrote: »
    technically and functionally EVEs a great game. However it's definitely a love or hate it environment. Tastes vary

I Have heard that you get flamed big time if you blink the wrong way, any truth to this....?
This discussion has been closed.