Options

4 May 2013 Server Crash (Resolved!)

Comments

• Options
    coldbeer72coldbeer72 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ;)
    daskippa wrote: »
    also Considering Some Of The Bust Sizes I See Alla Time In Sto. If Your Into That Kinda Thing And Like Toon TRIBBLE; Scarlet Blade Might Interest You.

;););)
  • Options
    mazerunnermazerunner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    EVE can be fantastic, but it is very niche and very cuthroat and has serious permanent impacts when you get stuff wrong.

The fact you lose stuff (even skills trained sometimes) when you die, and the fact it can be the heavily meta-gamed makes it more risky than most are willing to take. Still, it kept me hooked for years.

If you think fleet management issues or asset stealing are at players own risk and you're prepared to risk losing your ship permanently if you get blown up, the rewards are there.

If you think life should be fair and just and risk free, its hell.

A bit succinct, but true.

I tend to warn people that EO is a game that eats the young and inexperienced online gamer; sends veterans of FPS games crying into the night and requires the survival instincts of a starving tiger. Its learning curve is legendary.

However, despite the massive population of unwashed trolls who thrive on 'delicious tears' of upset players, the periodic favoritism of CCP for various alliances and veteran players and the fact its a game where pvp is as predictable as atomic decay and deviation from peer-reviewed fittings is met with scorn and righteous indignation...

Its a game I miss for its depth, complexity and rather amazing visuals.
    MazeRunner

"Reason notwithstanding, the Universe continues unabated."
  • Options
    daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    totenmet wrote: »
    A litte tip getting this thing fixed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hShY6xZWVGE

that one got posted in one of the anniversary event downtimes :D
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kirkson2 wrote: »
    How would you resolve the server being down?

VMWare ESX.

Running properly configured virtual servers allows for B to take over invisibly if A crashes and a program called Tickler (no, I'm not joking that's the name) sends notices to the sysadmin when A is down, so s/he can log in from a smartphone and reboot it if needed.

S/He can use a laptop from home too, if that's preferred over the smartphone, but the point is, it's easy.

Also, it's good to ensure that you have stupidly high levels over overkill on the bandwidth, memory, and processors allocated. But not always affordable.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've said it and I say it again: Everyone who pays money for this game since the F2P launch is making a mistake. Server downs are the least problem STO has :D (I was a happy subscriber back in the days. And then, darkness came. ;) )
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    Considering you have to agree to giving raptr access to EVERYTHING on your computer you'd be nuts to be a raptr user, luckily I don't think you have to be one for the livestream.

Well, according to Brandon, you need a Twitch account. Which, apparently, can be created within 30 seconds.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pretty sure TSW is b2p, although a cheap buy.

Eve is good but you have to know what you are getting into lol... its dangerous out there!

Correct, TSW is buy to play.

As for EVE... not unless you can invest lots of time and can handle losing everything if you put so much as a foot wrong. I honestly wouldn't waste your time with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Chances are there was still some residual damage from the hardware failure yesterday, so this shouldn't be totally unexpected. However, if it were to happen a third or fourth time then maybe a 50% bonus dilithium weekend event or something like that would be in order.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    khanstruewrathkhanstruewrath Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    its my theory that pwe angered someone like 4chan and got massively dropkicked via DoS attack on all their ftp games. since they are all down server wise.
    Romulus burned, untold billions died.
    It's the Tal'shiars doing, Sela lied.
    Vengeance is born, with eternal scorn.
    New Romulus rises.
  • Options
    ztrl1ztrl1 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One would think with all the money we freely throw at Cryptic they could afford to put up a few more servers... Seriously, load balancing is key...
    Some people buy Tier 6 ships and expect to win. Other people buy Tier 6 ships and are Tier 6 pilots.
    ~Tear
  • Options
    whoami2whoami2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe i should just buy them a server........... now im really going to bed
  • Options
    daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mazerunner wrote: »
    A bit succinct, but true.

I tend to warn people that EO is a game that eats the young and inexperienced online gamer; sends veterans of FPS games crying into the night and requires the survival instincts of a starving tiger. Its learning curve is legendary.

However, despite the massive population of unwashed trolls who thrive on 'delicious tears' of upset players, the periodic favoritism of CCP for various alliances and veteran players and the fact its a game where pvp is as predictable as atomic decay and deviation from peer-reviewed fittings is met with scorn and righteous indignation...

Its a game I miss for its depth, complexity and rather amazing visuals.

and not to be overstated . stability.... sigh
  • Options
    romeowhiskey4romeowhiskey4 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So....when the servers go down due to updates/crashes/hamsters dying etc etc...what do YOU do to fill the time?

Personally... Youtube....

Look up 'Star Trek dubbed'

For example... wrap your laughing gear around this little gem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNKqJiMfkUs

Watch this and don;t laugh...I challnge you!
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Chances are there was still some residual damage from the hardware failure yesterday, so this shouldn't be totally unexpected. However, if it were to happen a third or fourth time then maybe a 50% bonus dilithium weekend event or something like that would be in order.

I really think giving out refined dilithium is a bad idea without some Zen to balance it out. Unless you deliberately want to strap the exchange to a rocket, that is.

Works both ways, though - so any compensation would have to be in some other form.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    stunnednukestunnednuke Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Update 4 (2:14AM PDT): We're still working on making the shards available for everyone and are getting closer to having an ETA for you. Thanks!

They are so close, can't wait for it!
  • Options
    totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    that one got posted in one of the anniversary event downtimes :D

Lol, also for the Germans :Dhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5e1vfaST2I
  • Options
    whoami4whoami4 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I cant connect somehow?
  • Options
    bond85bond85 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    typical! bank holiday weekend in the UK at this is down! least they know how to keep their customers happy...
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Free battle cloaks for all fed ships!!!! :) Just an idea....
  • Options
    infydelinfydel Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pretty sure TSW is b2p, although a cheap buy.

nope, it's free - you can pay for new episodes, if you want, but so far that's just been a few new repeatable missions with a good reward (fun missions, though) - the bulk of each expansion is free.

also if you subscribe you get ~$10 worth of points per month, which is enough to buy the expansion anyway.
    Vulcans are MEAN
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    and not to be overstated . stability.... sigh

STABILITY!!!.....why wasn't that astrixed out as profanity!!!!:P:P:P
  • Options
    khanstruewrathkhanstruewrath Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    they need too seperate the servers, i play both games so when one going down takes out the other one, i cant play jack **** nothing!
    Romulus burned, untold billions died.
    It's the Tal'shiars doing, Sela lied.
    Vengeance is born, with eternal scorn.
    New Romulus rises.
  • Options
    krypter3krypter3 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Read a book?
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Even something as simple as giving out free c-store Bridge officer (Ferasan, Caitian, Aenar or Borg, players choice) or a free purple mkxii tactical console would be a nice gesture without totally throwing out the economy of the game like free Zen or dilithium cap increase could.

But fat chance we will get anything, like the time the lore missions were bust for the KDF for weeks on end. Cryptic simply doesn't appreciate it's customers, and when something like this happens they don't want to try and keep some good will.
    Considering you have to agree to giving raptr access to EVERYTHING on your computer you'd be nuts to be a raptr user, luckily I don't think you have to be one for the livestream.

Not to mention you have to be in a time zone roughly what they are, or a night owl where I am to take advantage of that. They should have run one for one side of the world and another for the other side or done it at a time where 90% of people could potentially take advantage of it. Instead of 11AM-1PM PDT they could do it at say 8PM to give the majority of people the opportunity to take advantage of it.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Minecraft. I could try and build this.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • Options
    oowoonoowoon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    mazerunnermazerunner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    coldbeer72 wrote: »
    STABILITY!!!.....why wasn't that astrixed out as profanity!!!!:P:P:P

We weren't applying it to STO :cool:
    MazeRunner

"Reason notwithstanding, the Universe continues unabated."
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mazerunner wrote: »
    We weren't applying it to STO :cool:

Well this is an STO forum.....;)
  • Options
    romeowhiskey4romeowhiskey4 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    krypter3 wrote: »
    Read a book?

what on EARTh are you talking about? Speak english... what is this... 'book' you speak of?:P
This discussion has been closed.