test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Legacy of Romulus Dev Blog #2

Comments

• catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The last one of these topics I made generated some itneresting discussion, so here's another, focusing on the second Dev log:

*Romulan Republic will have ships unique to their faction, and will be able to buy Federation ships. The earlier comment about Romulan Lockboxes that would give FED/KDF players access to Romulan ships was not addressed. Seems to leave the door open for Romulan cross-faction Lockbox ships.

* The D?Deridex is unlocked from starbases. Seems to indicate that some ships may be starbase/fleet exclusive.

* Romulans may have unique Duty Officer Assignments, but the interview danced around the subject of if Romulans would utilize FED/KDF or unique Romulan duty officer pools-only mentioned that they could get Romulans and Remans from Packs.

* Remans are unlocked automatically, no need for a Reputation project. Devs are sticking to their guns about not letting FTP use alien-gen, citing Romulan Xenophobia.

* Still no mention of the RSE, only the Tal Shiar and 'Romulan Military'. Seems like Cryptic is equating the Tal Shiar with the RSE.

* Fighting not only for independence, but to overthrow Sela. Will later strike a huge blow agaisnt the Tal'Shair and get access to top-of the-line equipment. It would seem that they probably succeed in their goal if this is the case, and overthrow Sela (since they are now calling her the head of the Tal'Shiar) Could this mean Scimitars? Do we Kill Sela?

* Not taking orders from allies, but we will be expected to kill FED/KDF on their behalf.

* Romulan Republic is being compared to Bajorans. Ugh.

* "If you purchased a starship for the Federation, you could not unlock it for your Klingon captains because it was a different faction." Romulans are an exception, apparently.

* We won't be getting orders to help the Azura, etc. Except that the Romulans have cross-faction access to episodes with their allies. a bit of a contradiction there.

Some further thoguhts:

Well Cryptic is going full out making the Romulans the 'everyman'. They are now apparently inspired by Bajorans. I am very dissappointed that they have decided to go this route, starching the Romulans of their uniqueness in order to make Bajoran knockoffs. I honestly never found the Bajorans half as interestign as the Romulans.

"One of our primary goals with Legacy of Romulus is to attract players that have either never played Star Trek Online or that only played at launch."

Would seem to indicate that this is indeed a move to give the faction more mass appeal.

Also of note is the implication that the Romulan Republic will indeed overthrow the RSE, probably taking care of Sela as well. This could very well close the door on any hopes of a proper RSE faction in the future, for whomever was still holding out hope.

A lot of evasive answers in this interview, and statements that seem to contradict each other. (like the statements of faction ships)

Some Romulan Ships will apparently be unlocked by the Fleet Tiers, not just by leveling up.

Hybrids will be locked behind a paywall so FTP cannot get them, despite the fact that Romulans only have two species to work with, and the fact that they will almost definately be adding a Liberated Borg as well. Their reasoning is that this is due to 'xenophobia' which is hilarious considering that Sela herself is a Hybrid, and that the only non-romulan species available to RR players is Remans. Hybrids are more oppressed than Remans? Really?

I must say, not a whole lot cleared up here by this interview, a lot of smokescreen answers and contradictory statements (PR phrasing at its finest). What new stuff we ave learned isn't all exactly thrilling though. I imagine the Romulan ships being unlocked by Fleet tier will be annoying to some, Cryptic has not budged on the Hybrid issue, and the RR is apparently based off of the Bajorans of all people.
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I can't see how I will feel like a Romulan when my endgame content includes missions like this:

"Enemy forces attack a Federation colony! Starfleet arrives to rescue the colonists, while the Klingon Empire hopes to capture valuable prisoners and information!"

I guess I can then help defend Starbase 24.

Honestly, I'd rather just scan rocks on New Romulus.

There is an option for folks wanting to play RSE... the foundry authors can create an alternate timeline where there are a series of missions where you play a Tal Shiar operative working for Sela.... I'll leave the story up to you all.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    this reads more like an ask cryptic and not a dev blog
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • cuzecozecuzecoze Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dastahl wrote: »
    That is why i'm in the thread listening instead of finishing the Klingon mission I should be working on, because I am listening to the viewpoints and we do discuss the feedback. Sometimes there isn't much we can do, but in some cases we do consider what we could alter.

I certainly hope you guys consider not allowing cross faction ships of any sort. It's great Feds and Klinks can't use Romulan ships, but it should be vice versa as well.
  • nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I understand that LoR has more or less everything in place Dan. But from my point of view I would have felt it more beneficial to allow the creation of Romulan Fleets and when a player creates their Romulan Fleet they choose to ally that fleet with either a KDF or FED fleet in order to further strengthen relations with the side of their choosing. Thus allowing technology sharing and being able to contribute to each others projects and helping the Romulan Fleet build their first base / HQ.

My only concern as well is it's starting to feel less Trek with hundreds of people flying other faction ships. Romulans flying FED ships would just depart so much from cannon in my opinion.

One thing I'd like to see is sub-factions. There are lots of races in the federation and kdf, it would be nice to think I can start off as an Andorian on Andoria with the choice of joining Starlfeet or the Andorian military etc and have had that as my only way to access Andorian ships. I love this game and I understand things take time, however some decisions really just make little to no sense sometimes.
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876
  • ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Gotta say, I'm glad the Reman unlock counts for any character at T5. Remans strike me as far more interesting and I really hoped to make one my first.
  • tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Here's a good question:

How will the Romulan players deal with the Romulan Reputation? Presumably if we're one of D'Tans kinsmen, we wouldn't need to prove our loyalty the same way the Fed/KDF do.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Dan,

I'm excited about LoR, but I'm concerned about how the alliance setup will impact Romulan and KDF gameplay.

I'm concerned with Romulans being prevented from doing certain activities with other romulans based on a level 10 choice, this means if you are asking for a group in Zone chat you can't ask for Romulans, you have to ask for your ally. This makes it feel like less of a faction, and it can also prevent friends from playing together based on a level 10 decision. with your statements about hoping to draw a lot of new players into STO with LoR I can see that restriction coming back to bite you. Even if you put warnings in place people are going to wind up regretting the choice they made and want a way to fix it.

Allowing access to fly allies ships also makes it feel less like a faction, on top of those grouping issues, and will be an encouragement for new players to all ally fed side since they will have more people to play with, more fleets to join, more ships to potentially acquire, making it even harder on KDF players.

It also deincentivizes players from making actual Fed or KDF characters since an allied Romulan is a Super Fed/KDF character.

Let us get use ship consoles and share gear, but don't put up barriers for all Romulan play, and don't further discourage players from joining KDF.

Looking forward to seeing the content on Tribble soon.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm not sure if it fits with Cryptic's story, but it would have been a lot of fun for the Romulan "starbase" to be New Romulus itself. Tier 3 completes the bridge. Tier 5 builds the embassy, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We know what shape this game is in. The next update isn't going to be blowing anyones minds and we all know that.
    So, you are speaking for every player of this game, are you? Thanks for speaking for me, oh wait, I forgot, YOU don't speak for ME in the least. So in your post, you said speak for yourself to Branflakes, well, right back at you, Speak for yourself. I am excited for the May update, I don't have to take Branflakes word for it, I am going by what I have experienced on Tribble so far.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There are a lot of uniforms in the c-store. You already said that Romulans will be able to fly their ships the same way that Kira in DS9 commanded the defiant in a Bajoran militia uniform. Since Kira was also allowed to wear a Commander Federation uniform at the end of DS9 when working with the Cardassian resistance will the romulans also be able to wear their allies uniforms if desired?
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    robdmc wrote: »
    There are a lot of uniforms in the c-store. You already said that Romulans will be able to fly their ships the same way that Kira in DS9 commanded the defiant in a Bajoran militia uniform. Since Kira was also allowed to wear a Commander Federation uniform at the end of DS9 when working with the Cardassian resistance will the romulans also be able to wear their allies uniforms if desired?

That was already answered, with a no. But you unlock a Romulan uniform option based on your ally. :)
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Not gonna lie, this blog alleviated some of my fears. I still have a few issues:
    dastahl wrote:
    The Romulan Republic is at odds with the Romulan Military and the Tal Shiar, both of which are led by Sela, who declared herself Empress and essentially disbanded the senate. These are Romulan civilians who?ve decided to stand up against the oppression of their government.

All right, I get that the Tal Shiar are bad guys, and we're not going to be able to play them. But what about the regular military? In the Path to 2409, it specifically states that Sela's reign as Praetor ushers in a new age of peace for the troubled Empire, unseen since... well, since before Nemesis. In fact, enough people loved her that she was able to declare herself Empress with no trouble at all. Sure, the Path also implies that she is likely going to be an autocratic dictator, but given the first part of this paragraph, it would make a lot of sense if we were also able to play as a Romulan that was loyal to the Empire (but not the Tal Shiar). I will be disappointed if the third faction of Romulans is not addressed in the story line; that is, Romulans loyal to the Empire's glory who don't want Sela's dictatorship, but who also don't want Spock Jr.'s Fed-Lite Republic.

dastahl wrote:
    We're considering the liberated Borg, but we have some details to work out, including other details surrounding veteran rewards which is why we aren't talking about it very much yet.

What is there to work out? It seems to me they should get the exact same stuff: playable Lib. Borg (just because Hakeev is one and works for the Tal Shiar doesn't mean all Lib. Borg Romulans are evil), a unique 1,000 day ship, and costumes and such. What exactly is the issue with that?

Also, I still don't get the urge to keep everything tied in to the KDF / Fed war. It doesn't exist for most of the game, especially not at end-game. Is gameplay (specifically 2-faction PvP) influencing story here?

Edit: Also, will every Romulan ship have three costume variants (except for the 1,000 day vet one, which for some reason don't get different costumes)?
  • jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Dan -

Okay. Maybe it is because i am not a smart person. But I am still not seeing how the Romulans are a full factions on par with the KDF and FED and not just a playable race with access to special costumes and mounts. When Romulan reach level 11, they pick one of the existing factions, then use that faction's guild system, can use that faction's mounts (ships), that factions PVP side, that faction's Doffs, and that faction's end game ques. if most of the story content is faction agnostic , are these not the things that make up a faction?

This is the part of the update that seems to fall short of your target. As for when this thread is counted and statistically analyzed, please check mine in the "not happy" column. they idea of Romulans (even Romulan framers) commanding a Galaxy Class Starship makes no sense and really just seems, to me, that you did not have time (or the desire) to make enough ship for the new faction. I mean the US is allied with the United Kingdom, but we would never allow Royal Navy officer to command a Nimitz-class carrier. --and yes i know it is a game. but there must be limits. "The line must be drawn... " oh you know the rest.

- Jengoz =/
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Here's a good question:

How will the Romulan players deal with the Romulan Reputation? Presumably if we're one of D'Tans kinsmen, we wouldn't need to prove our loyalty the same way the Fed/KDF do.

I have no doubt you'll have to grind it. Different game, obviously, but my elf from Lorien had to grind Lorien rep in LotRO, even to just get in; MMO devs aren't going to give anybody a "get out of jail free" card when it comes to rep grinds.
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it fits with Cryptic's story, but it would have been a lot of fun for the Romulan "starbase" to be New Romulus itself. Tier 3 completes the bridge. Tier 5 builds the embassy, etc.

But then the various defense missions would take part on new romulus...

On second thoughts, in atmosphere space combat? Oh God yes! If you're listening Dan, in atmo space combat, consider it. :P Seriously though, I know it'd just be a space map dressed up to look like a planet, but it still sounds amazing.
    I have no doubt you'll have to grind it. Different game, obviously, but my elf from Lorien had to grind Lorien rep in LotRO, even to just get in; MMO devs aren't going to give anybody a "get out of jail free" card when it comes to rep grinds.

They could do something like what WoW did with druids and give you a small boost to it. Starting out a tier higher or something.
  • dastahldastahl Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    So how much of this new Romulan content will be locked into the new rep system ? I'm still disappointed about all that new content locked into the new romulus season that I can't play because I chose not to pay into the rep system.

Lemme guess, you'll explain in an upcoming blog ?

Ignoring your sarcasm, here's the answer: zero.

The exclusive Romulan Republic storyline starts at level 1 and goes up through the Romulan FE series. From that point forward, everyone starts to converge and play the same end game content. If we gated the Romulan Republic to the Tholian reputation, then players would have to achieve max level before they could play any of the new Rom Republic content. That is not what we've been communicating at all.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited April 2013

When Lorien was released, those TRIBBLE riddled me with arrows when I tried to visit my family ! :D
  • overlapooverlapo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Now that all factions start at lvl1 and there is no need to play another faction to unlock them it makes sense adapting all those missions for the other factions from a new player's perspective so they get the story going on. For example, right now someone playing only KDF wouldn't know about the reason for the odd behavior of the supernova in the destruction of Hobus/Romulus without doing the Fed mission with a Fed captain and that knowledge seems to be key to understand present and future content.

But that leaves me with a question. How many NEW missions are going to be done for each faction that aren't adapted old content?

And also, are current FE going to be re-adapted as well? Getting orders from a Federation Officer as a KDF captain in 2800 really breaks the immersion for example.
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ... just watched st2, khan is dead now :D... or not?
    don't get me wrong: i love the game, i love trek and i appreciate all the afford you put in this whole thing, just as you may appreciate the money i've spending on it.

but plz mr. stahl: rethink giving rommies fed and kdf ships and fleet gear! i'd rather waiting some more time for my d'deridex than watching that share-policy happen.

one of the problems is, that this policy leaves no reason to go anything else than rommie! you can have access to 2 factions toys, so why bother with only one faction?!

possible solution: ally-choose, yes. ship and gear sharing outside reputation, no. let rommies join fed and kdf fleets, but plz only let em access ROMMIE ships and gear. if it's only about time to make rommie fleet-gear and ships i'm fine with some more waiting. thx.

edit: i really can't imagine the federation or klingons would ever consider giving romulans such access to their ressources, without having joinning them fully their side! just not feels canon! help, yes. but never such a blanco-cheque...
  • zensoji1zensoji1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Dan, I have to say thank you for all the new content but i do have a question:

With regard to the foundry, considering Kirksplat's thread in the Art area, are we likely to see more floor and ceiling textures? Also a personal request would be the ability to rotate and object in the foundry along any axis - it makes for more interesting map designs if there's been a riot and a chairs been thrown across the room...it lend more depth in other words
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PvP Boot Camp Coach
    Vice Admiral of Forum Administration
  • broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I shouldn't have posted that, it was a gross exaggeration of my point and unfair to Dan and the rest of the cryptic team, I'm not going to try and excuse it, it was unfair. My apologies to Dan and the rest of the Cryptic team for that.

While I do think the romulan faction is somewhat lacking in places, I admit we are getting far more than my post implied. Really, give us our own fleets and I'd be able to deal. I don't like the ship sharing, but if we had our own fleets I could learn to deal with it. Fleet gameplay is just a huge part of the game to me.

I'm not entirely fond of the ship sharing myself, although it seems a lot of folks are missing the fact that it is Fleet ships, not c-store and standard. I'm guessing this is a reward for participating in an Allied fleet (can you imagine if they did not allow it when Romulan players are providing resources to the Fleet?).

I recognize the endgame limitations and lack of starbase. It is a big thing to some, not so much to others. Personally, my KDF characters are not in a Fleet, so they have no starbase, and I don't PvP either. My Fed fleet is a five-person fleet with an almost tier 2 starbase. I doubt we'll progress much past that as a small fleet.

For me, the limitations don't factor in, so the Romulans are almost as much of a faction as Feds are to me (from the sounds of it), and far more than the current KDF is (I'm very happy KDF content is being expanded).

Opinions will, and apparently do, vary. :)
  • sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We're considering the liberated Borg, but we have some details to work out, including other details surrounding veteran rewards which is why we aren't talking about it very much yet.

Thanks for the response. And it makes sense, we have 2 months to go yet :).

Now if only I can sneak my way into beta.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That helps clear up quite a bit, I'm especially happy about the limitations on starting races.

Exactly how the Romulans should be. (Although making a 2 meter + hirogen might have been fun too :P)

I very much wish that had been done with the KDF, but c'est la vie.

I don't know why they limited the Alien Creator for this faction just because of some immersion thing when we have all sorts of immersion breaking content already.

All this will do is make certain players that like their created Alien characters to not play the Rom faction.

While not especially bothersome to some, especially those acidic immersion mongers, this will limit their $$$ bottom line somewhat.

Cryptic, just port the current Alien Generator to the Romulan Faction with the required uniforms please.
  • daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This will depend on what they are grouping up for. If it is Romulan missions, then yes. If it is Faction specific PvP then no. If it is an event that allows cross-teaming then yes. If it is a Fed/KDF specific Fleet Action (SB24) then no. Our goal is to allow cross-faction teaming wherever we can and limit FED/KDF only where necessary.

So the Romulans aren't their own separate faction then? They are a sub-faction of the Federation and KDF that happen to share a common lineage.

I've never encountered a situation on my Federation Captain where I'm told "I'm sorry you can't team with that other Federation Captain because they made a different decision to you at level 10". "But don't worry you're all still part of the same faction":rolleyes:
  • antrenosantrenos Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My question is;

With KDF __FINALLY__ getting access to more PVE missions, will the May update be any new KDF missions, or just copy-and-paste from the FED missions? Or a combination of both? If new missions, could you provide us with a number? Ball-park figure?

And if it's merely copy-and-paste, has there been any effort made into adapting the missions from a "KDF perspective" ? Episodes like the Kuvah'magh come to mind, but that may still be FED exclusive?
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ignoring your sarcasm, here's the answer: zero.

The exclusive Romulan Republic storyline starts at level 1 and goes up through the Romulan FE series. From that point forward, everyone starts to converge and play the same end game content. If we gated the Romulan Republic to the Tholian reputation, then players would have to achieve max level before they could play any of the new Rom Republic content. That is not what we've been communicating at all.

Thanks for the reply, just wanted to make sure tho I shudder everytime one of you guys say rep system. As it is the New Romulus (season 7 content) IS gated solely by the reputation system. Now that I know only some Tholian rep missions will be gated into that system I'm not too heartbroken.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • teklionbenrashateklionbenrasha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm glad you made the analogy between the Romulan Republic and the post-occupation Bajorans. That made things a lot clearer.

That said, in terms of eye-narrowing, the first Dev Blog stated that our Romulans were trying to avoid both Sela's and D'Tan's movements. Given that we know how things end up, I hope the story addresses how we get there. On a side note, I'd like to learn how Obisek ends up joining forces with D'Tan.
  • dastahldastahl Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    overlapo wrote: »
    Now that all factions start at lvl1 and there is no need to play another faction to unlock them it makes sense adapting all those missions for the other factions from a new player's perspective so they get the story going on. For example, right now someone playing only KDF wouldn't know about the reason for the odd behavior of the supernova in the destruction of Hobus/Romulus without doing the Fed mission with a Fed captain and that knowledge seems to be key to understand present and future content.

But that leaves me with a question. How many NEW missions are going to be done for each faction that aren't adapted old content?

And also, are current FE going to be re-adapted as well? Getting orders from a Federation Officer as a KDF captain in 2800 really breaks the immersion for example.

I answered this previously, but I'll reiterate. The way we are reshuffling things for May 21, all 3 factions will have exclusive journal tabs up through the events surrounding the Romulan feature Episode Series (which now includes a prequel adventure zone nimbus immediately preceding the vault so all 3 factions get that new tab of missions). This gives all 3 factions a unique perspective on the Iconian plot, and then after Cutting the Cord when Sela is taken, all three factions are synched for the founding of New Romulus and Romulan Reputation where we find the Iconian gateway on Mol'Rihan. This allows all three factions to be up to speed on what is going on (albiet with unique perspectives) when we launch into upcoming Feature Episode series where all factions will continue the story together.

This has required some re-writes of a few episodes and some minor changes here and there to dialog.

As far as everything past that point, we are working to open up all of those missions to every faction and we're in the process of converting the mission offers, mission fiction, and contacts to be appropriate to your faction. It's not perfect, but it gives KDF and ROMs more content if they need it to get to level 50 where the end game dailies and events kick in.
  • umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    One little concern I'm having regarding Romulan warbirds is how, when they are being referenced to lately, their special perk seems to be their singularity core.

Which makes me ask: what about the Romulan cloaking device? Wouldn't that be the one most enduring technological point of the faction in question? So far, only the subterfuge trait seems to hint towards that.

Supposedly, the Romulans were extremely hard to detect, probably deserve the Battle Cloak much more than the Klingons do, and the Scimitar showed on-screen an ability to fire-while-cloaked that far outstripped that of Chang's Bird of Prey in Star Trek VI.