test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Legacy of Romulus Dev Blog #2

Comments

• broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    With regard to ship sharing, to expand on part of a post I made a few pages back.

If I'm reading correctly, sharing is restricted to Fleet ships, not c-store and standard ships. If this is so, it make sense for one reason:

If Romulan players are contributing resources to allied fleets, there will a major uproar if they are not able to obtain the best rewards as a result.

This I understand, even though I'm not fond of the idea. But we can't expect players to give Fleets truckloads of dilithium and other resources, then say "don't touch our ships that you helped supply us with."

Personally, my Romulans will never fly Fed or KDF ships, but it's hard to see how it could be implemented differently at this point.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    No ETA on playable Romulan Foundry missions. When it launches, Foundry authors can't make Romulan faction missions, with no ETA on when we can. If you want to play a Foundry mission as an Rom, you need to borrow a Fed of KDF Foundry mission from an ally.

How this is acceptable, I don't know. If Cryptic is releasing a new faction that could use more content, how about turning on the Foundry?

*hears crickets.

Sorry, didn't see his edit about the ETA. While I'm not using the Foundry myself, I understand your concerns. :)
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    nynik wrote: »
    What right has the UFP to deem it improper for Sela to rule as an Empress? What right has the UFP to deem it acceptable to supply ship and weapons technology (humanitarian aid is fine) to one faction in an internal conflict of another society?.

The same right they have to relocate 600 people from their home planet to harvest the rings? I think all pretence of the Federation Leadership standing by its founding principles vanished in the 2370s.

Plus, the Federation are at war with the Borg, Undine, Klingons, on a Cold War front with the RSE and Dominion (Rapier), and they're fighting the True Way and Breen. I think they'll be happy to help the RR (Romulan Republic) get into power just so the Empire's not shooting at them anymore.

Also, from the Federation point of view, Sela has set off a virus on a civilian population (I think? I know there's a Romulan mission about that, and i know we were fighting Remans, but I can't remember if it was the Empire who did it. I expect so, though), experimented with Borg technology (by the way, apparently the Federation has the right to meddle there), and allowed genocide against the Remans. I don't think they particularly recognise her leadership as legit anymore.
  • mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dastahl wrote: »
    ...where we find the Iconian gateway on Mol'Rihan...

Whoa! Spoiler alert would have been nice. :eek:

Some of us haven't finished the Romulan reputation grind. :o
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    broadnax wrote: »
    With regard to ship sharing, to expand on part of a post I made a few pages back.

If I'm reading correctly, sharing is restricted to Fleet ships, not c-store and standard ships.

I didn't get that impression, I actually got the opposite. Romulans get to have normal and c-store ships, and their own fleet variants of romulan ships. That's not to say you're absolutely wrong, I've been known to read things wrong on occasion, but that's the impression I got.
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Can you do a blog about the KDF only, to tell us if us KDF players are going to get anything other than recycled Fed missions with slightly changed dialogue texted. Very disappointed in that.

At least it sounds the Romulans are going to get some decent stuff. Even if they have to side with another faction at level 40.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • cuzecozecuzecoze Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    qultuq wrote: »
    Or Because building new starbase designs would take another 2 months of work for your staff that you don't have? Well if that is the only problem why not just give the Romulan fed animated bases as a placeholder. That would be just as easy and require a whole lot less explanation.

This is what I really hoped would be done, if that is indeed the "problem" that is making them force an alliance.
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What about fleet member limits?
    My kdf lfeet is at the limit, 500, do we get a bigger member limit with LoR? otherwise the benefit of letting romulans join existing fleet goes right out of the window again because we can't join our already existing big fleets and pretty much have to start over again anyway.

In which case, why bother?

I think they should remain as they are, so many smaller fleets are struggling and so many of these new players will have to join those fleets, making new friends and helping the smaller fleets progress faster.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Can you do a blog about the KDF only, to tell us if us KDF players are going to get anything other than recycled Fed missions with slightly changed dialogue texted. Very disappointed in that.

At least it sounds the Romulans are going to get some decent stuff. Even if they have to side with another faction at level 40.

I hink he already confirmed that there will be new KDF missions. Everyone gets recycled Fed missions starting after level 40... :)
  • trekie85trekie85 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I find it AMAZING the amount of negativity surrounding this new faction .. it confuses me .. they are adding in a new faction FOR FREE with a unique feel to them, unique ships, species, and whats even better is they get to choose who they ally them selves with !! I am literally about to squeal lol. I get to be a Romulan, in a Romulan ship, with its own unique story and i don't have to pay a dime (even if i am a lifer lol) and i can still join my federation and or Klingon brothers in battle!? and people don't like this ... ? wow talk about ungrateful... they have been busting their behinds getting this done and not only this but all the other enhancements to the game in a truly epic expansion. I know for a fact there are more people excited for this and i look forward to seeing the amount of people this will bring into the game!

Keep on rocking Devs! I know you have a LOT of people excited for this and i know i am

THANK YOU for all the hard work and the exciting build-up to this release!
    --- I <3 U CRYPTIC - - -
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Longer rant about the Foundry.

It really is quite amazing how much the Foundry and its community have been de-prioritized to such an extent that the EP doesn't even think about how it can assist the big feature pushes of the last 4 seasons.

Starbases with holodecks? No effort at all to incorporate Foundry.

Meanwhile, barely any STO (programmer, art, etc) resources get devoted to anything Foundry-related. Now, you have a new faction, but apparently did not put any priority on turning on the Foundry as a way to supplement dev content.

In a faction that obviously needs more content, the Foundry is an afterthought! We should be able to make Romulan Foundry missions right now, to be published in May.

I'm sorry to say, that is ridiculous and frankly offensive to those of us who volunteer our time to create content for your game using a buggy tool that is in a perpetual state of beta.

And ALL of that stuff that your team made for this new content... none of it, absolutely none of it has been added to the Foundry, despite your numerous statements that 'that's the plan going forward..."

We are a small, but dedicated community who works hard to add content to your game, and you treat us like we're either a nuisance, a non-concern, or a thing of the past.

You couldn't even bother to have someone, anybody, think about how a new faction should work in conjunction with the Foundry, let alone assign someone to give us Romulan sets and props.

It shows a utter lack of respect for what we do, and it shows how very low we have sunk on your list of ever-changing priorities.

For Q's sake, if you're going to release your pseudo-faction, turn on the Foundry and give us Romulan stuff so we can help to make it more than a pseudo-faction.

You probably don't treat a single member of your real team like you treat your volunteers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Will Romulans have some form of "embassy" on Earth/Qo'nos?
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    trekie85 wrote: »
    I find it AMAZING the amount of negativity surrounding this new faction .. it confuses me .. they are adding in a new faction FOR FREE with a unique feel to them, unique ships, species, and whats even better is they get to choose who they ally them selves with !! I am literally about to squeal lol. I get to be a Romulan, in a Romulan ship, with its own unique story and i don't have to pay a dime (even if i am a lifer lol) and i can still join my federation and or Klingon brothers in battle!? and people don't like this ... ? wow talk about ungrateful... they have been busting their behinds getting this done and not only this but all the other enhancements to the game in a truly epic expansion. I know for a fact there are more people excited for this and i look forward to seeing the amount of people this will bring into the game!

Keep on rocking Devs! I know you have a LOT of people excited for this and i know i am

THANK YOU for all the hard work and the exciting build-up to this release!

^^ THIS 100 Times Over!

Thanks for everything so far Dev's! I'm really liking what I've been reading so far and I'm really looking forward to the release of LoR more and more! :)
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    broadnax wrote: »
    I agree that it seems silly for Lorient elves to have to gain rep to get there. But I would have played the missions anyway, so I probably wouldn't have thought much about it.

However, please do not call me a liar. My wife and I just did those quests recently. Without having to do rep dailies. We did repeat one of them, simply because I didn't realize it was a daily. We dropped the other two dailies when that realization hit.

[edit]My wife just wondered if we are currently in Lorien proper or in an instanced storyline version. If it is the latter and we really don't have full access yet, I will let you know. This is our first time through this content.

But I can say honestly that I have never *had* to "grind" anything to advance in LOTRO. Upgrading traits and rep takes a longer just going the quest route, but it is doable and more enjoyable for us.

Ah, that's it then. Sometime during Rise of Isengard Turbine removed the rep requirement to get into Lorien, because they considered it no longer relevant content but people still had to grind the entry rep because there was no other way to get to Mirkwood and continue the game. So I apologize. Up til then one had to get from neutral to friendly just to get into Lorien, which took two or three days of the rep dailies.

I believe you still have to grind the rep to get into Caras Galadhon, though. But unlike most people, it seems, I like the singing to trees quest.
  • goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Because they are all at NwN working there, its the big CC deal ... unlike STO were the Foundry despite your metric is not really considered a replacement to actual Cryptic content.

This is another reason I am not downloading the NwN client.

Neverwinter is really good , I give Cryptic props for it. It has a "chance"to be a big hit for them.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ryan218 wrote: »
    The same right they have to relocate 600 people from their home planet to harvest the rings? I think all pretence of the Federation Leadership standing by its founding principles vanished in the 2370s.

Plus, the Federation are at war with the Borg, Undine, Klingons, on a Cold War front with the RSE and Dominion (Rapier), and they're fighting the True Way and Breen. I think they'll be happy to help the RR (Romulan Republic) get into power just so the Empire's not shooting at them anymore.

Also, from the Federation point of view, Sela has set off a virus on a civilian population (I think? I know there's a Romulan mission about that, and i know we were fighting Remans, but I can't remember if it was the Empire who did it. I expect so, though), experimented with Borg technology (by the way, apparently the Federation has the right to meddle there), and allowed genocide against the Remans. I don't think they particularly recognise her leadership as legit anymore.

I think it's simply because Sela in an alliance with the Iconians, who are wanting to turn every race in sight into mulch, is the sole reason why she can have her claim to be "Empress of the RSE" challenged without impunity.

It's very much the same situation that the UFP found itself in with Gul Dukat, after he sided with the Dominion and became leader of the Cardassian Union. He might call himself that, but by allying with the mortal enemy of every race in the Alpha and Beta quadrants, he essentially betrayed any hopes of being called the legitimate leader of anything. In fact, he was viewed as a war criminal.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited April 2013

It really is quite amazing how much the Foundry and its community have been de-prioritized to such an extent that the EP doesn't even think about how it can assist the big feature pushes of the last 4 seasons.

Starbases with holodecks? No effort at all to incorporate Foundry.

Meanwhile, barely any STO resources get devoted to anything Foundry-related. Now, you have a new faction, but apparently did not put any priority on turning on the Foundry as a way to supplement dev content.

In a faction that obviously needs more content, the Foundry is an afterthought!

I'm sorry to say, that is ridiculous and frankly offensive to those of us who volunteer our time to create content for your game using a buggy tool that is in a perpetual state of beta.

And ALL of that stuff that your team made for this new content... none of it, absolutely none of it has been added to the Foundry, despite your numerous statements that 'that's the plan going forward..."

We are a small, but dedicated community who works hard to add content to your game, and you treat us like we're either a nuisance, a non-concern, or a thing of the past.

You couldn't even bother to have someone, anybody, think about how a new faction should work in conjunction with the Foundry, let alone assign someone to give us Romulan sets and props.

It shows a utter lack of respect for what we do, and it shows how very low we have sunk on your list of ever-changing priorities.

For Q's sake, if you're going to release your pseudo-faction, turn on the Foundry and give us Romulan stuff so we can help to make it more than a pseudo-faction.

You probably don't treat a single member of your real team like you treat your volunteers.

This exactly why I don't play foundry missions... a constant sense of entitlement. The tool is for you to have fun creating missions not for you to have a second job or make the game for Cryptic. Why would you have access to content that isn't even in beta testing for others to play yet? I see on a regular basis new items being added to the foundry almost weekly via tribble patch notes. UGC in my opinion gets far more attention than it deserves and when it isn't the center of the lime light the UGC authors come crying throughout the forums like some spoiled child who has wait for the latest new toy on the market. This is like your, I don't how many, posts in this same thread whining about the same thing. That in legal terms... has been asked and answered already.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • kadieraskadieras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    But that won't help them at all, if a fleet is at cap they'll simply make an alt fleet, which does nothing for small fleets
    I think they should remain as they are, so many smaller fleets are struggling and so many of these new players will have to join those fleets, making new friends and helping the smaller fleets progress faster.
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
    edited April 2013
    mikefl wrote: »
    This exactly why I don't play foundry missions... a constant sense of entitlement. The tool is for you to have fun creating missions not for you to have a second job or make the game for Cryptic. Why would you have access to content that isn't even in beta testing for others to play yet? I see on a regular basis new items being added to the foundry almost weekly via tribble patch notes. UGC in my opinion gets far more attention than it deserves and when it isn't the center of the lime light the UGC authors come crying throughout the forums like some spoiled child who has wait for the latest new toy on the market. This is like your, I don't how many, posts in this same thread whining about the same thing. That in legal terms... has been asked and answered already.

I agree. That Cryptic is focusing on developing their own content instead of pawning that responsibility off on the player-base is a good thing.
  • goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Cryptic wants people to make and use UGC its creates more content then they can ever make and keep players busy while they work on their own content. Neverwinter is built around this concept. IN fact they are waiting for more UGC content before launching Neverwinter. UGC authors are more important to Cryptic then you think.
    edited April 2013
    This exactly why I don't play foundry missions... a constant sense of entitlement.

I don't think there is an unreasonable sense of entitlement to expect our EP to think:

A. Ok, so we're adding a new faction and it needs content...
    B. How can help the UGC community help us do that?
    C. Hmm... at the very least we should turn the thing on for Romulan missions and give them a reasonable amount of stuff to make Romulan missions.

It's not unreasonable to expect that minimum amount of thought and consideration.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I have to agree with this.

I play the foundry and love a lot of missions, but with this update it's not a thought in my mind. The first few months I'm going to be focused on the expansion , the same as cryptic so why would they focus on the foundry at the start of the expansion, the foundry is not a necessity at the beginning of this expansion and can wait.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Basically what I think Mr. Stahl is saying is that the fed side has more content than it needs for leveling up. But what he's saying is that Rom's and KDF will have just enough content to hit 50 so they are trying to fit everything together and make the game better for any faction.
  • mutualcoremutualcore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

lol wow...is there rehab for this kind of thing? same few people always taking things warp speed into another galaxy where logic doesn't exist. Of course there is tons more to come on the foundry after the expansion goes live. Even if it takes some time you know it will happen. What about all the goodies today released for the foundry, cool huh? cue the ungrateful attitude ~
    edited April 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    As it stands, the whole thing is aiding a separatist movement by supplying then with weapons so they can overthrown a recognized government.

THAT is the problem we have.

Why is that a problem? The Federation supports democracy and inalienable rights, and the Imperial Romulan government is based on tyranny.
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,882 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dastahl
    Thank you. No one is forced to play a Romulan. You may not agree with how we've implemented them and we are sorry if this doesn't meet your expectations. Some people will love it, others won't. You simply can't please everyone. That is an impossible task.

We acknowledge that it is a hot topic, but we have no comments at the present time other than we're looking closely at the feedback. Doesn't mean it will change, but we are understanding that this is upsetting to some.

I'm shocked to expect this response from the top of the line. I'm a leader and managed others for a real living and at the very least would have just keep my "peace" instead of portraying an annoyance to some player who is paying my salary. I know we can't please everyone but if you do this for a living it should be a bit more subtle instead of venting out in public. In leadership, always vent up not down...a wise mentor taught me :cool:
    DUwNP.gif

• cuzecozecuzecoze Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Vent up, not down. I like that.
  • atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So the Romulans are getting their own C-Store ships (with their own special consoles, presumably). And they'll get KDF or Fed Consoles as well. Now, I can see why you don't want us flying Rom ships as KDF or Fed, but wouldn't it at least be fair to allow us access to the consoles of the Rom Ships we've bought on our Fed and KDF chars?
    edited April 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    why would they focus on the foundry at the start of the expansion, the foundry is not a necessity at the beginning of this expansion and can wait.

That is how it usually works, which is why nothing ever happens, despite things that Dan Stahl has said in public and in person with those of us who make missions. Season 9, or whatever it will be called with shift all focus and attention to something else. There is never a moment when anyone goes back to incorporate or complement the Foundry.

Now, the tool that adds content to the game is an afterthought when adding a new faction that needs new content.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dastahl
    Thank you. No one is forced to play a Romulan. You may not agree with how we've implemented them and we are sorry if this doesn't meet your expectations. Some people will love it, others won't. You simply can't please everyone. That is an impossible task.

We acknowledge that it is a hot topic, but we have no comments at the present time other than we're looking closely at the feedback. Doesn't mean it will change, but we are understanding that this is upsetting to some.

I'm shocked to expect this response from the top of the line. I'm a leader and managed others for a real living and at the very least would have just keep my "peace" instead of portraying an annoyance to some player who is paying my salary. I know we can't please everyone but if you do this for a living it should be a bit more subtle instead of venting out in public. In leadership, always vent up not down...a wise mentor taught me :cool:

Here, venting up causes you to get fired :)

Otherwise... it is a free expansion.
    And there is a saying about not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

As for a free expansion, this is already amazing. You usually pay for this kind of stuff.

Yeah... it could be better, but realistically its a good expansion if we factor in that its A : Free, B : Made by a smaller company.

So as for me, I'm happy with this expansion.

The only thing I can criticise is the fact that romulans can play Fed and Kdf ships. Otherwise its all super so far.

Oh! And remove the 50% health limit requirement from go down fighting please ! *Begs the developers*
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.