test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Warp Core Feedback Thread

salamiinfernosalamiinferno Member Posts: 159 Cryptic Developer
What do you think about warp cores? Do you like how they work, what they augment, how they fit as rewards?

Have you found a bug, or just have some general feedback? Please leave it here!
Post edited by salamiinferno on

Comments

• Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What do you think about warp cores? Do you like how they work, what they augment, how they fit as rewards?

Have you found a bug, or just have some general feedback? Please leave it here!

I only have one question. Will warp cores be added to existing ship sets for additional set bonuses? (Ex.: Adapted M.A.C.O. Warp Core, Aegis Warp Core, Ect)
  • Options
    darkravenxp32darkravenxp32 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm not quite sure about this warp core setup. Well, as soon as my client finishes patching and I play around with it a bit I'll let ya know.

That is when the shard is actually online.
  • Options
    kevaldtkevaldt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Kinda hard to give feedback when you have the shard locked... seriously?
    [SIGPIC]InGame - @Darth_Tauri[/SIGPIC]
    Joined - 9/2011
    "You Best Make Peace With Your Dear & Fluffy Lord" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We need Warp Cores added to the Reputaion stores (IE there shpould be an Omega or M.A.C.O. - or something along these lines that we can get to replace what the Omega and M.A.C.O. Impulse Engines used to do for us (Warp Speed wise.) The Romulan Rep store should get Sigularity Cores for use in the new/upcoming Romulan ships as well.

And this may sound like 'begging'; but I also think existing VA characters should at least get a free MkXI Blue (Rare) warp core - because come on, if these had been in the game from day one (Like MANY of us reqiested WAY BACK in 2009 closed beta) - we'd all have at least that, or something better by now. :)

[If you don't want to do this outright - maybe make the Tribble Test weekend reward a Warp Core instead of another Tribble, or in ADDITION to the Tholian Tribble. :D]
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    antrenosantrenos Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    [If you don't want to do this outright - maybe make the Tribble Test weekend reward a Warp Core instead of another Tribble, or in ADDITION to the Tholian Tribble. :D]

Very much this. Give a proper reward for once for having playtested on Tribble, and people with come out in droves to test the new stuff. Maybe we can actually get a decent population on Tribble during testing :)
  • Options
    cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Please.. If this isnt implimented yet please do so. Make it that the lights on the ship either flicker or go off if you remove a warp core from its slot. That or make the nacelles at least flicker and go off or somit. I so liked that kinda thing from st legacy i think it was that had it to some degree i.e stopped and the engines would dim, move and they lit up. :)

Btw about them being space drops, that kinda sounds meh to me. Would rather them only be purchasable from stores or rewards from missions or rep system etc. Dont like the idea of them being in drops because well 9 times out of 10 the warp core would be blown up along with the ship. At least tech to a degree is sorta salvagable hence why that isnt too bad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Can we have different types of matter/antimatter warp cores? Most Starfleet ships use deuterium, however in DS9 we found out that the KDF now use tritium in their warp cores. The reason I ask is that different types of cores could offer extra utility; the tritium warp core would offer a resistance to power drain effects for example.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Still patching, but going over the notes, I'm kind of 'meh' on the very rare bonus. Normal batteries are pretty weak to begin with to the point of me rarely using them. I have a host of Emergency Power to X BO skills that far out perform anything batteries can do. It's certainly not enough for me to seek out a very rare warp core over a rare one.

I'll float the idea one last time, but I'd like to see warp cores used to swap BO slot/console slot layouts between similar ship types.
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wait, WHAT?!?!?! Warp Cores??? ARGHHHH!!!! :eek:

I'm halfway done with rewriting my Ships Power Guide. And now I'm gonna have to scrape what I've done and start again?

Alright. If I must, I must. :cool:
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    the way you guys handle warp factors in the game drives me crazy. with the TNG warp scale, you CANT exceed war 10, you cant even reach it. ships topping out at warp 10 is facepalm worthy.

slip stream does not exceed warp 10, its at best warp 9.999. thats another thing, look at this warp scale https://secure.flickr.com/photos/aaronpk/5966228932/lightbox/

its fairly linear up to about 9.6, then it slopes steeply upward, as you can see the warp 9.99 is twice as fast as warp 9.9. twice as fast. the steepness is further illustrated by warp 9.9999 being 199,516 faster then light, wile warp 9.99 is just 7,192 times faster then light

so, what is half throttle now should be warp 9, the other half of the throttle should be between 9.0 and a cap of 9.99. slip stream should top out at 9.999.

OR

go the route they did in AGT, ships going warp 13 and all that. sense voyager was topping out at 9.975, ordering exact factors by the decimal was becoming a bit of a mouth full. they proboly repositioned warp 10, infinite speed, as warp 20, and repositioned all the warp between 9 and infinite to everything between 9 and 20.

REGARDLESS, caping players at an in game speed of warp 10 makes absolutely no sense. pick any other number, seriously. thats so, so very far from correct.
  • Options
    inputend21inputend21 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Please,add Advanced and Elite Fleet variants,as well as making them set pieces :)
  • Options
    atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    the way you guys handle warp factors in the game drives me crazy. with the TNG warp scale, you CANT exceed war 10, you cant even reach it. ships topping out at warp 10 is facepalm worthy.

slip stream does not exceed warp 10, its at best warp 9.999. thats another thing, look at this warp scale https://secure.flickr.com/photos/aaronpk/5966228932/lightbox/

its fairly linear up to about 9.6, then it slopes steeply upward, as you can see the warp 9.99 is twice as fast as warp 9.9. twice as fast. the steepness is further illustrated by warp 9.9999 being 199,516 faster then light, wile warp 9.99 is just 7,192 times faster then light

so, what is half throttle now should be warp 9, the other half of the throttle should be between 9.0 and a cap of 9.99. slip stream should top out at 9.999.

OR

go the route they did in AGT, ships going warp 13 and all that. sense voyager was topping out at 9.975, ordering exact factors by the decimal was becoming a bit of a mouth full. they proboly repositioned warp 10, infinite speed, as warp 20, and repositioned all the warp between 9 and infinite to everything between 9 and 20.

REGARDLESS, caping players at an in game speed of warp 10 makes absolutely no sense. pick any other number, seriously. thats so, so very far from correct.
    Or just rescale warp speeds to not have an arbitrary asymptotic cut off.

Though I can see having a "threshold" speed. Consider it similar to go faster than sound; the physics change a little, and current technology can't easily pass warp 10.
  • Options
    startrek1warsstartrek1wars Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hopefully we won't have to grind these cores . . . *sigh*
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    They can.

As you brought up TNG I can bring up the Galaxy-X Warp 15 that according to you cannot be reached.

Please dont bring up Warp speeds because then I would to bring up the scale was revised at least ONCE from TOS to TNG.

In fact I am just dropping this:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Warp_factor

Try beating that ...

OR

ya, dont read my entire post or anything. and that page backs up everything i said
  • Options
    squishkinsquishkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You know what I am very curious about right now? The Singularity Cores.

Warp Shadow, Singularity Overcharge, Singularity Jump, Plasma Shockwave, Singularity Shielding?

This sounds like a very interesting mechanic that I wish I could learn more about.
  • Options
    thepantspartythepantsparty Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I hope warp cores are also available as fleet purchases. Indiscriminately destroying every ship in the galaxy I see hoping for random drops is... tedious.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I hope warp cores are also available as fleet purchases. Indiscriminately destroying every ship in the galaxy I see hoping for random drops is... tedious.

There are rare warp cores available for dilithium purchase; they're not bad, but I really have nothing to compare them to. They do have some pretty interesting properties, though.

There's a lot of "Add 7.5% of [system] energy to [other system] as a bonus".
  • Options
    os1shaggyos1shaggy Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think you should make the graphic look like a little warp core like TNG warp care or Voyager warp core not like a impulse engine graphic, thats just my two cents really.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    os1shaggy wrote: »
    I think you should make the graphic look like a little warp core like TNG warp care or Voyager warp core not like a impulse engine graphic, thats just my two cents really.

I am pretty sure (HOPE) that this is just a placeholder.
  • Options
    adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    squishkin wrote: »
    I am pretty sure (HOPE) that this is just a placeholder.

It is, in fact, placeholder - rest assured.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    It is, in fact, placeholder - rest assured.

In that vein, is it intentional that there seem to be no warp cores that give a + to maximum weapons power, or have I just not run into any yet?
  • Options
    wfs5519wfs5519 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am happy about the warp core ideas. However when they appear as drops, this brings up a point. certain equipment drops could use additional thought:

i could see ship equipment drops require tractoring or stablizing before transport. and/or require repairs before equipped into your ship.

in canon, transporting a warp core from a destroyed ship would be approached very carefully. and the chance for it to fail would obviously increase if it is moved and certainly installed without being repaired or stablized. this could add another element to gameplay and perhaps give a use to crafting sites. (damaged equipment drops)
    -could do this with other equipment too

if you have enemy ships around... tractor or approach unstable cores at your risk... if they fire at them, they could detonate. on the flip side.. if you fire at it, you could use it as a mine against enemies.
  • Options
    wilvwilv Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you're going to add a NEW component to a familiar part of the game you need to make it available in as many ways as possible, For example through reputation and Fleet base systems.

Further more we need more info. Some of us who have been here for 3 years will get confused by this new warp core thing and a little frustrated that ships we've worked on hard to get just right now require a NEW component.
  • Options
    adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    squishkin wrote: »
    In that vein, is it intentional that there seem to be no warp cores that give a + to maximum weapons power, or have I just not run into any yet?

That's intentional for the time being. We felt that offering a +Max Weapon Power base warp core would make the types a non-choice - everyone would choose and slot that, and the other three types would be ignored. However, Shields, Aux, and Engines all felt like they could be viable choices for particular builds or particular situations.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • Options
    usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    is it just me or does it not seem odd to have maco mk xii engines etc and have a mk x white warp core ? , my question is = will a maco version be in the works ? (sorry if already asked)
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • Options
    captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Can we please get some Mk XI and XII Very Rare Warp Cores in the D-Store?

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    That's intentional for the time being. We felt that offering a +Max Weapon Power base warp core would make the types a non-choice - everyone would choose and slot that, and the other three types would be ignored. However, Shields, Aux, and Engines all felt like they could be viable choices for particular builds or particular situations.

Excellent, and I agree with that reasoning fully. To be honest, I hope that you don't add a "best" warp core to the fleet or Reputation stores so that there's more of that encouragement to experiment.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why are we being rescaled down to a Warp 10 limit when the Galaxy X, a ship that is in the game went Warp 14? Slot wise, I would rather see ship costume slots or the FX for things actually be tied to what makes sense or be able to be applied outside of having a particular set piece. IE, Warp nacelle color being tied to the engine, not a shield or just add the options to the ship tailor when a particular item is abtained.