test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update on Fleet Marks and Dilithium

Comments

• weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    chyexrsa wrote: »
    Brandon has said on twitter to someone that they will not reply to this unless something changes. But won't say it on the forums cause it will enrage the players

https://twitter.com/PWE_BranFlakes/status/302861806165180418

What can he say?

It's Dan's call - until he makes a decision to change something or to ignore us completely there's nothing Brandon can do other than his job.

If there's a change based on this feedback either Brandon or Stahl will let us know - in the meantime it's best we keep this thread as constructive as we can and keep voicing our disapproval.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • skydawnknightskydawnknight Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gr4v1t4r wrote: »
    By having written it at the time?

OK, let's try this again. Please refer to kirk's post:
    kirksplat wrote: »
    OK, so it looks like that was said by Wishstone, who was community moderator before BF.

And then, since I guess you missed the hyperlinks, go to:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3500006&postcount=68\
    and
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=211952

Oh, and please refer to my "Join Date" to see if I could have written anything two years old.

Hope that helps.
  • thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited February 2013

and

Hope that helps.

All of which as I have said is irrelevant. The quote regardless of authenticity is irrelevant.

It does not reflect the language of the landing page and comparable wording in the TOS or EULA and most importantly has not reflected the actions of Cryptic up to this point.

Most of all it is irrelevant because it diverts us from the root of the problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    warbird001 wrote: »
    In Cryptic's defense, the construction of Earth Spacedock took about 50 years, so actually I think a year, two years for a whole starbase is not actually that bad. Besides, new stuff is coming in may, can't you just be patient and wait?

Simple answer NO!!!
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

and

Hope that helps.

Lovely, no I didn't miss the links, but it's irrelevant because all of that happened under Atari. I only have to deal with Cryptic and PWE, so as long as their TOS/EULA whatever doesn't prohibit it, it is *allowed* wheter you like it or not.
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pickobpickob Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I got an ide fore you, you pout the" Dilitium store" to the game and the 8000 kap. why don you pout a "Fleetmark store" in the game and a top kap on that to. and take the grinding to a higer lvl.

Whell thats it , cant find enything more to write ,thats allready in here.
    edited February 2013
    All of which as I have said is irrelevant. The quote regardless of authenticity is irrelevant.

It does not reflect the language of the landing page and comparable wording in the TOS or EULA and most importantly has not reflected the actions of Cryptic up to this point.

So... whatever was actually said from a viable source is irrelevant? So if someone from Cryptic came on and said they OK'd AFK grinders, I should just disregard it and keep on hollering because it goes against what they did/did not DO recently.

OK. Point taken.
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's not so much us directing ire at Foundry authors, but Foundry authors assuming their interpretation of what a missions is, is the only one and that somehow it is aligned with Cryptics own opinion and behaviour... which clearly it is not.

The reality is certain people in this thread seem to believe the change was the right course of action, when the truth is the change is just another meddlesome attempt to divert people away from the root issue which is that Cryptic are changing the game in such a way as to make it less fun and people are reacting to that fact.

Honestly I don't believe I even talked about Foundry Authors until a few turned up and decided their interpretation is immutable and perfect.

I will admit, that post was probably geared at me and some others that believe the timing between the some of the author's demands and the various foundry changes were just too convieniant. In the 75 page post that was closed, linkes were posted with the the some of the more vocal authors demanding changes. Someone pointed out the dates between the demands and the changes, and well it kind of took off from there.

Of course, then you have some of the authors posting that the Foundry should only be for what they view are story missions.

It's that elitist "do it my way or not at all" attitude that had some people angry. The "so what if it is solo play and it doesn't hurt anyone else it doesn't conform" attitude doesn't help either.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
    edited February 2013
    So... whatever was actually said from a viable source is irrelevant? So if someone from Cryptic came on and said they OK'd AFK grinders, I should just disregard it and keep on hollering because it goes against what they did/did not DO recently.

OK. Point taken.

No, if they put it in the TOS or EULA, then you should. As long as it doesn't conflict with the law etc. of course :)
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mutualcoremutualcore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gpgtx wrote: »
    pretty much and in a way they where using the foundry as designed.

by playing content cryptic does not make. that is what the foundry is user generated content to supplement cryptic's content

and sense they where using it as such it is now "not as intended"

i will admit i used it as a resource grinder but i also played some of the story missions it all depended on what i felt like doing at the time

you can go into Tau Dewa and enter Japori system (among others) and gather tons of loot by killing 5 groups of enemies, leave and repeat. Granted they will attack back but you even get help from other NPCs.
    Go talk to the breen, click a few buttons and get Dil from rescuing deferi. It's not like the devs always make some drawn out story or "quality" gameplay. There are legit rewards for barely doing anything.
    who wasn't happy when they would get a data scan mission when doing explore strange new worlds was worth doing.
    edited February 2013
    warbird001 wrote: »
    There is only one thing I can say to this, if you are not a Star Trek fan, why are you even bothering to play this game? If you do not enjoy a good story about Star Trek? Why are you playing this game? I mean seriously? Why are you bothering?

Using the Foundry other then Cryptic intended is called "abuse" and I understand that Cryptic had to stop it. A lot of missions that had minimal effort but were reviewed about 1000 times were being used just to exploit the reward system.

Not everyone is a trek fanatic. Some people play this game for its space battle content not the story. I don't think Cryptic really cares whether someone is here for story or combat as long as they are willing pay some $$$. As for abuse... well someone else has already provided the front page instrux for the foundry to answer that one... It's so you can enjoy the trek universe YOUR WAY and you can create missions AND stories. You also cannot exploit a rewards system that is time gated and has mission qualifiers. They determined the parameters for content that qualifies and they set the amount of time required for the cooldown. If people were here only for story, this game would already be out of business as the story is played in the first week of gameplay.
  • horgahnhorgahn Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Brandon has said on twitter to someone that they will not reply to this unless something changes. But won't say it on the forums cause it will enrage the players

I love how Brandon hid this Tweet from our fleet's Twitter account. So classy.
    Go Team Venture!
    Wʬ  g+  f  t

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    No, if they put it in the TOS or EULA, then you should. As long as it doesn't conflict with the law etc. of course :)

I see what you just did there... politician style haha. Uh huh... Well it seems with removal of the FM and the timid mobs they at least stated some of their intent. Let's just hope they do something more official and help us out of this FM/Dilithium hell we live in.
    edited February 2013
    It's not so much us directing ire at Foundry authors, but Foundry authors assuming their interpretation of what a missions is, is the only one and that somehow it is aligned with Cryptics own opinion and behaviour... which clearly it is not.

I agree - the Foundry is merely a mod-tool - yes, you can create epic, sweeping stories with it (sort-of) but equally you can create shooty-shooty pewpew grindfests - that's the beauty of it. No content created in the Foundry is more 'valid' than others - Foundry missions aren't 'high-art' irrespective of what their authors might wish them to be (spoken as a Foundry author).
    The reality is certain people in this thread seem to believe the change was the right course of action, when the truth is the change is just another meddlesome attempt to divert people away from the root issue which is that Cryptic are changing the game in such a way as to make it less fun and people are reacting to that fact.

Well if I'm honest, removing Marks from the Foundry was the right course of action - insomuch as they should never have been part of the rewards for the Foundry in the first place.

People should play Foundry missions because they enjoy Foundry missions - not for the rewards.

If that causes the Foundry and the community around it to die then I guess people don't enjoy Foundry missions. If it flourishes then I guess they do. But attaching a highly-desirable and hard-to-come-by reward to a completely variable mix of content (in terms of quality as well as genre/style etc.) was just plain stupid.

But Cryptic should never have removed the Marks without reintroducing them elsewhere.

Obviously people want them and need them but aren't prepared to play lengthy missions to get them - that's understandable - Fleet Marks don't advance you personally - they help your fleet and whilst I'm as charitable as the next person, I don't want to spend hours of my playing time doing something that only benefits me indirectly.
    Honestly I don't believe I even talked about Foundry Authors until a few turned up and decided their interpretation is immutable and perfect.

They can decide whatever they want to decide but they're as impotent as we are to effect any real change in the path this game's taking unless we take issue with it and voice our opinions as a community - one that understands and respects that different people want different things out of STO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013

OK. Point taken.

It's not a viable source it's a moderator from 3 years ago when this was still an Atari game and when the foundry and policy surrounding it was entirely different. It's also therefore not a relevant source. When Cryptic announce that anyone who creates a grinder mission on the Foundry is breaking TOS/EULA and will be banned from accessing the content then that would a clear signal of their current policy on the matter.

mutualcore wrote: »
    you can go into Tau Dewa and enter Japori system (among others) and gather tons of loot by killing 5 groups of enemies, leave and repeat. Granted they will attack back but you even get help from other NPCs.
    Go talk to the breen, click a few buttons and get Dil from rescuing deferi. It's not like the devs always make some drawn out story or "quality" gameplay. There are legit rewards for barely doing anything.
    who wasn't happy when they would get a data scan mission when doing explore strange new worlds was worth doing.

Indeed or you can do a number of sector patrols where you simply land on a planet scan 5 objects and leave and get a bucket load of XP.

Seriously the people who are arguing for their closed narrow view of what the foundry should be lost that argument a long time ago and if anything their continual attempts to force their agenda on others is driving people away and not to the foundry.

But once again none of this is of no relevance and just serves as a side show.

People created grinders because the game is unbalanced and too time intensive to be fun without a quick way to gather resources

There are a number of live exploits in other areas of the game that will continue to go on because the reality is the game is too grindy as it is and people don't like that. It has nothing to do with the Foundry, it's authors or whatever use you feel it is supposed to serve.

The only relevant point here is that multiple exploits (fixes) exist in the game because players of all kinds do not accept Cryptics Grindfest vision of what they want the game to be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What is the Matrix? Control.

As long as we are a part of that system (or they are), things like this will always happen. They will always use our love of Star Trek in this game to force things like this on us.

Often it feels like the game is directed by a former football player or former coach and not someone who loves the Star Trek for what it is. It feels like we are at the whim of someone who cares more about numbers and not about enjoyment and fun. I've been to the mountain top and yes, it can be very exhilarating. I am sure that is the ultimate goal financially for Cryptic. They may even get there. But when you look back and see all the bridges you had to burn to accomplish that goal, was it really worth it? Was it worth bastardizing a franchise loved the world over?
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
    edited February 2013
    gulberat wrote: »
    Let your DOFFs do the work for you. If you get your CXP maxed, all you have to do is go to your fleet starbase every time a category hits 110,000 and turn in a commendation report. That will net you a minimum of 75 FM per report and if you get a critical success, 150 on a report. (You cannot fail a Commendation Report assignment, so you won't lose anything.)

An investment in your DOFFs will relieve you, for the most part, of FM-related time sinks. And your DOFFs can be working on it for you, while you do more interesting stuff. Personally, I always found--even before the changes--that I did much better on fleet marks through Commendation Reports, when you consider the yield gained versus the amount of time and effort put in.

Because you get oh so many marks daily for this. Please... when you have something that's equally viable I will be open to listening. It's perk if you've gotten there but it is certainly not a replacement.
    edited February 2013
    *snip* one that understands and respects that different people want different things out of STO.

That's the problem, they don't. It has nothing to do with them being foundry authors, but it does have something to do with riding in here on a high horse saying "YEAH, told ya so!!! Foundry is only for stories you nubcakes!!!!"

Of course thats a paraphrase and not a quote, but it clearly demonstrates the vibe they give to me and apparantely a lot of other people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • horgahnhorgahn Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This post has been edited to remove any content central to the premise of the post. ~BranFlakes

Yes, respond to a full scale uprising by editing it out.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
    Go Team Venture!
    Wʬ  g+  f  t

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bclark09bclark09 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    thebumble wrote: »
    In defense of Bran, he has very little control over what gets put into the game, and whats taken out.

He can make suggestions and provide input, but ultimately he works for PWE and not Cryptic. Cryptic makes the call on content.

Although I wonder if he got warned about the s**tstorm that was approaching...
    horgahn wrote: »
    I love how Brandon hid this Tweet from our fleet's Twitter account. So classy.

While I feel sorry that BranFlakes catches a lot of TRIBBLE being the community rep (and I've certainly given him enough too), he eggs it on by sticking his head in the sand and pretending a problem doesn't exist. Heck, I've been Twitter blocked by him because I had the gall to call him out on promoting the Armatage when it was bugged and couldn't enter an STF, a fact he omitted from every promotional post and tweet he made about it. A class act through and through.

Anyway Brandon, I fail to see how coming in and saying "yes, I'm reading this, I hear your complaints, and I'm taking your concerns Dan next week." could make things worse. That is unless all you're going to say is "added to my list of feedback." Because this is more than general feedback. This is a clusterfrak of epic proportions.

The playerbase is already hauling out the pitchforks for next week. Short of coming in here and saying "stfu, we don't care" there's precious little you could do that would actually make things worse. At the very least you could prevent things from getting worse than they already are.

But go ahead and ignore the fact that there's a raging problem...seems to be the norm when there's a significant problem that demands a response.
  • gstamo01gstamo01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Well, honestly unless something does change, he doesn't really have anything to say officially. His opinion in the matter may or may not be different from the official position, but you can't expect him to risk his job and the well being of his family by expressing it.
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
    edited February 2013
    bclark09 wrote: »
    While I feel sorry that BranFlakes catches a lot of TRIBBLE being the community rep (and I've certainly given him enough too), he eggs it on by sticking his head in the sand and pretending a problem doesn't exist. Heck, I've been Twitter blocked by him because I had the gall to call him out on promoting the Armatage when it was bugged and couldn't enter an STF, a fact he omitted from every promotional post and tweet he made about it. A class act through and through.

Anyway Brandon, I fail to see how coming in and saying "yes, I'm reading this, I hear your complaints, and I'm taking your concerns Dan next week." could make things worse. That is unless all you're going to say is "added to my list of feedback." Because this is more than general feedback. This is a clusterfrak of epic proportions.

The playerbase is already hauling out the pitchforks for next week. Short of coming in here and saying "stfu, we don't care" there's precious little you could do that would actually make things worse. At the very least you could prevent things from getting worse than they already are.

But go ahead and ignore the fact that there's a raging problem...seems to be the norm when there's a significant problem that demands a response.

You know what the truth is this isn't even really about Fleetmarks this is something that has been brewing for a very long time and comes down to two different visions for what people want this game to be, the Developers turning it into a horrid grindfest and the players wanting a game they can actually have fun playing.

This has a long standing undercurrent to it that has boiled over at the first opportunity it's actually a lot more serious than people being upset about this change alone.

Indeed since Season 7 my apathy for the game and it's developers has only increased, whilst my playing time has decreased. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
    edited February 2013
    That's the problem, they don't. It has nothing to do with them being foundry authors, but it does have something to do with riding in here on a high horse saying "YEAH, told ya so!!! Foundry is only for stories you nubcakes!!!!"

Of course thats a paraphrase and not a quote, but it clearly demonstrates the vibe they give to me and apparantely a lot of other people.

Hey you :)

They can argue that until they're blue in the face but as of right now, a two-hour pewpew grindfest rewards the same Dilithium as a two-hour Wuthering Heights-in-Space.

Cryptic's made its position clear - "it's not what you do we care about, it's how long you do it for."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    horgahn wrote: »
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes

When I post, I use the snipping tool and use that to capture what I posted. If any of my posts ever get edited, I would capture that as well and tweet them and save them for another video.

If your emotions boil over here and you slip and break the forum rules, just SS it and tweet about it or use another medium to get it out there. They can edit stuff here, but they can't edit your facebook, twitter feed, youtube, etc.

The youtube video I did got a bunch of hits pretty quickly and I do not intend to ever bring it down. You all can do the same.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • thebumblethebumble Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    You know what the truth is this isn't even really about Fleetmarks this is something that has been brewing for a very long time and comes down to two different visions for what people want this game to be, the Developers turning it into a horrid grindfest and the players wanting a game they can actually have fun playing.

This has a long standing undercurrent to it that has boiled over at the first opportunity it's actually a lot more serious than people being upset about this change alone.

Indeed since Season 7 my apathy for the game and it's developers has only increased, whilst my playing time has decreased. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone there.

This is actually a very accurate post. There's always been something wrong since they made the big changes to the rep system. I guess a sort of undercurrent of frustration. Then the dilithium debacle inflamed that to a smoldering anger that really never went away.

And in all honesty, how many can say they've had as much fun as they did BEFORE the changes were made? The new contents decent, but they could have used the old model and still gotten the same effect. I miss the old Omega store. I don't think I've been to DS9 since they did change to the rep system...
  • cratchmastercratchmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    True, this actually isn't about the Fleet Marks, it's about respect, or complete lack shown by the dev team. The player base was very upset with the dilithium nerf introduced after season 7. A band-aid solution and the admittedly wonderful Winter and Anniversary events passified the player base. But the fact of the matter is that the game was and still IS a grind fest and episodes like the current fleet mark removal and subsequent snubbing by the devs completely diminish the good will they tried to build with the holiday events. If I ran a company like this, I certainly wouldn't expect to be running it for long.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • corbormitecorbormite Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for pointing me to this info thread about the officer daily reports :)

I thought it was too good to last lol and it seems fair to me that we don't get too much for a mission. The Fleet Marks were nice tho!

Thanks
    Corbormite
  • trellabortrellabor Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    IMO, I don't think it was 100% the few Foundry authors alone that did the former Foundry 'system' in, but they probably did a whole lot of poking and prodding and linking of lots of documents and paragraphs about certain other Foundry authors missions and how it didn't 'technically' fall within certain criteria. I think they did this because their material was not getting as much attention as 'they felt' it should. To the extreme that it was pursued, I find it egregious on part of those few Foundry authors who decided to inject their 'opinion' of what people should be playing in the Foundry and what content should come out of it. Again, IMO - you have no right either as individuals or as a collective group to inject your personal beliefs or opinions on how your peers choose to play the game or any inherent part of it. Pointing out a flaw in the system is one thing, bolstering a crusade over it is another. Part of the blame can be attributed here.

Cryptic, whether at the behest of above Foundry authors or not, handled the entire situation poorly and deserves blame as well. They were not open about the time frame they had planned for the IOR being in place with the rewards it had, and just kind of threw it out there without much ado at all. Then they yank it away without any real justification or notification, and in fact pointing out data that would suggest taking this reward out without balancing it somewhere else would HURT the game and the player base using 'metrics' that Dan himself produced is incredibly counter intuitive and akin to saying 'if I shoot myself in the head I will die, and here's the data to back it up' and then promptly carrying out that action. It's quite absurd.

If the goal was to appease the few Foundry authors, I think time will show that goal will not be met. Players will not all of a sudden decide to play 'wall of text' missions or venture to the Foundry and play 'your' missions because they 'must'. TBQH, if your missions were really that superb people would already know of them and be playing them. Certainly you can see attempting to strong arm anyone into your area of story telling will simply get you ***** slapped by the very book you are attempting to read from? People will take note of those few and either slam them publicly, ignore their missions altogether or be vindictive enough to purposely run your content with the sole intention of giving negative reviews. None of these are good options, is that really what you were after?

If the goal was to re-balance this area of the game I think time will show this goal will also not be met. Yanking 50 FM's from a mission repeatable every 30 minutes will have the same affect that was in place prior to the new rewards being implemented - a shortage of Fleet Marks to the player base. With no 'balancing' applied to any other source they intentionally re-create the scenario where players were starved for FM's. They have said this and provided data to support it. Saying you know a problem exists due to your decision and leaving it in place without a possible fix or balance for months is like saying you know your leg has a huge wound but will do nothing about it knowing full well it will get infected and possibly need to be cut off.

If the goal was to prevent players from 'exploiting' the Foundry I think time will show this goal will also not be met. It is still possible to AFK missions that meet the new scaled criteria to obtain DIL. Missions will be created that can 'take advantage' of the scaled system, to wit, players will under any type of imposed boundary or criteria - Humans test their limits. Already people are discussing the best options for optimal ROI under this new scaled criteria, and winning.

Honestly, I don't see much being achieved here except an angry player base for the most part. It doesn't seem like anybody wins.
    ____
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The o3 - Killed you good
  • bluedemon67bluedemon67 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's me again.
    Just wanted to make a point. If this game is a grind fest and most seem to agree.
    then having a so called Boff Grinder would be alright , wouldn't it?
    I mean it's still a grind and still takes time right?
    so it seems people are defending Cryptics grind but if a player makes one then bash it all to H*ll huh?
    in the real world we are not censored if we find a way of making more resource
    examples would include getting food by using coupons, quiting your job for a higher paying one, asking for a raise, going on strike when we are mistreated on the job, and so on.
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    He who controls the oil (fleet marks in this case) controls the market (starbases in this case).

The powers that be want the game slowed down. Longer game player = more chances of getting some money in from someone, somewhere.

Sadly, money is all that matters to them it seems.
    I need a beer.

This discussion has been closed.