Update on Fleet Marks and Dilithium

Comments

• husserehussere Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    it is indeed all about fun
    A Disenchanted player
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'll give you an example what I would have looked at as a balancing pass, versus what they did.

Prior to the wrapper becoming a 30 minute deal, a non-exploiter could get 50 FM a day in 1.5 hours. I'd suppose 2.5 hours a day is considered a reasonable amount of playtime.

Now when it became an "every 30 minutes" wrapper, 50 FM PER MISSION was a bit crazy. It should have been more like 10-17 per mission to keep the old rate, depending on whether you looked at reasonable daily acquisition rate or reasonable hourly acquisition rate. That would mean more for people who play more but it would have had an acquisition rate similar to the 24 hour cooldown IOR... and would make it so that Foundry is an inferior but alternative acquisition method for Fleet Marks. Because it would be inferior, it would attract fewer exploiters and minmaxers while still rewarding Foundry players some.

There's a case to be made that 50 FM per mission is waaaaaaaay too much compared to 50 per day but going from ANY amount to zero is a total shift.

Not speaking as a marketing person but as a system analyst, my argument would have been for Foundry missions to award 15 Fleetmarks up to once every 30 minutes. Exploits would dry up and Fleet Action queues would fill back up because that would be the minmax approach while Foundry would have fair rewards if you enjoy that playstyle, whether it's solo grinders or story. And I think it is a mistake for Cryptic to dub the Foundry "not social" because it is indirectly social between author and player, just as fleet actions are indirectly social.

Now, the other side of the exploit mission issue is authors. One major problem with the Foundry is lack of author rewards, which basically boil down to tips. Cryptic clearly has incentive for authors to make harder or longer missions.

So on that end, here's what you do: Award authors 0-10 fleet marks and 0-1000 dilithium ore every time someone plays the mission. There's two basic metrics to use here to appease grinders and story fans. Every fight that includes a Captain-level mob adds 1 to the internal author reward tally. Every 6 minutes worth of average playtime adds 1 to the internal author reward tally. The tally has a maximum value of 10. Each point of reward tally awards the author 100 dilithium ore and 1 fleet mark.

Now, from there, you want a much better Foundry search and categorization interface. But what these changes have done would have been to:

- Revert player reward acquisition back to roughly the old daily rate before the Foundry became a 30 minute reset mission.

- Make the Foundry an alternative to more social content (although even a solo Foundry playthrough IS social so it is a valid alternative, just not a minmaxed one) by nerfing rewards to 15 per mission.

- Provide authors with very steady reward streams for adding challenge and length to missions through a combination of up to 60 minute average playtime (no combat) or 10 boss fights (all combat) or anything inbetween. This makes Foundry authorship something which does not detract from fleet responsibilities for the author while also making the creation of exploit missions less desirable and profitable for the author. People can make novels (up to a point) or grinders but anything too light on challenge or time would be less desirable for the author.
  • solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    captw wrote: »
    you do know he's left once before in the past right? Things were going good, then he came back.

And the posts welcoming him back (some from posters on here too), was nauseating.

His interview as EP for a second time was hilarious now if you see where we are at. Lots of stuff about "I've learned not to say too much in advance" (yea tight lipped about May), "QC will be better" (not even gonna go there), "PWE want a full Klingon Facton and PVP" (read, "I spoke to 1 person at PWE who wanted this, not everyone so it's not coming)...

Still judging your record Dan. Wagner on Xfactor had a better one to be honest...
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    solomace wrote: »
    And the posts welcoming him back (some from posters on here too), was nauseating.

His interview as EP for a second time was hilarious now if you see where we are at. Lots of stuff about "I've learned not to say too much in advance" (yea tight lipped about May), "QC will be better" (not even gonna go there), "PWE want a full Klingon Facton and PVP" (read, "I spoke to 1 person at PWE who wanted this, not everyone so it's not coming)...

Still judging your record Dan. Wagner on Xfactor had a better one to be honest...

I was glad when he left the first time.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I get the feeling I'm the only one that likes the new take on Star Trek from JJ. :(

jjabrams is aman who delivers product. He doesn't put heart and soul in it. (which is reallywhy hollywood loves him -- faux geek cred and an ability to deliver) he's not really a genre director. he prefers generic drama like "Felicity" (which he created, btw)- all the accoutremonts of scifi and fantasy that we geeks love to delve into are meaningless to him, which is why you get nonsense like his ST movie and people like the sto writer and the comic writers etc trying to fix his bull**** into something that would make sense to fans.

his "take" is flashy and visually overwhelming, but ultimatelyhollow -- justlike season 7 is. Cryptic used to put heart and soul into this game.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
    edited February 2013
    Bah, I'm off to play Skyrim. A game that can actually be *fun* from time to time as well as being free after the initial payment.

I shall not line the pockets of our Chinese overlords if I can help it.

*waits for censorship*

at least you know what to expect from a bethsoft game. I still play fallout 3 and New Vegas.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    we hear that excuse a lot these days. that horse has been bludgeoned to death. You have to say he still making the same mistakes he did the first go around.

All I'm saying is that calling for Dan's head might get you a new figurehead EP but the same old Cryptic/PWE.

Telling them why the game's not fun any more and why you're not spending money any more might actually get you a better game (and who knows - possibly a new EP as well).
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
    edited February 2013
    I was glad when he left the first time.

At least people knew where they stood with D'Angelo.

I'm still surprised that no one pushed more on DStahl saying before he left, that he's playing the new FE and it's great, yet D'Angelo wanted to know what people were talking about and where had we heard about "this" new FE...

*cough* almost as good as "nope, we aint' going free to play" or "were doing well" ( no cups in the kitchen).

Teflon should be renamed methinks...
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    atomictiki wrote: »
    his "take" is flashy and visually overwhelming, but ultimatelyhollow

I feel the complete opposite of this actually, but might be best to discuss that in another thread.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • thebumblethebumble Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    I get the feeling I'm the only one that likes the new take on Star Trek from JJ. :(

Seriously, I think it was the nuking of Vulcan that did it.

The ship wasn't bad, its the original, if he does a few more, maybe we'll see a good refit. If you put your sunglasses on you could get through the lensflares. Even the characters were decently portrayed.

But...

They...nuked...Vulcan. How many Vulcans are stationed on bases and ships in normal Star Trek vs JJ version? Yep. Exactly. Now their an endangered species. How many vulcan characters won't make it to the future in JJ's version? Like Tuvok. Will Voyager make it back because he might be dead? Which means he's never on the Excelsior with Sulu. What about Savek? Without her involvement in the attempted assassination, maybe this time they succeed...

Bleh..JJ, you made my brain hurt...
    edited February 2013
    I feel the complete opposite of this actually, but might be best to discuss that in another thread.

Tinfoil hat time (not that I need it to be honest) but I would take JJs over films 3,4,5,7,9 and 10 anytime...

:eek: Did I just admit that. Well my 0.2 forum credabilty went down to 0.1...:(

Well to some it was always a minus figure but hey...;)
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited February 2013
    Hi Captains,

I'm receiving many requests for someone to post to this thread -- as I've said elsewhere, there have been no further posts from dStahl or anyone else because there are no further updates to provide at this time. Daniel created the thread to let you know some of the "why" behind the change, and even made a few comments after that elaborating more, along with letting you know some of our plans.

If there are more updates that I can pass along, I will most certainly do so -- you have my commitment to that. You also have my commitment that I will continue reading every single post made in this thread (and I have been since it was created). I am passing along your feedback from this thread directly to the decision makers, but I have no involvement in the decision making.

Also, a few of you have made comments about moderation taken in this thread. Posts that break our forum rules will be moderated, as well as the users who posted them. I suggest everyone takes a look at our forum rules here and keep them in mind. This is a friendly warning as I would hate to see anyone banned for breaking them. It's okay to be upset, it's okay to post how much you hate the change, it's okay to feel the way you do, but it's not okay to break our forum rules. As you can tell from the many constructive, yet highly negative posts in this thread, the only posts that have been and will be moderated are those that don't follow our rules. Lastly, discussing moderation taken on the forums is against the forum rules as well. If you have a question about any moderation actions taken by the mods or myself, please reach out to me via the instructions in my forum signature.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Kaz, it comes to mind that instead of a simple boycott, we should hold a mass sit in on the servers. Simply sitting there, effectively AFK in one zone. Say, ESD.

It would at the very least cost the powers that be some more money.

New sig btw.
    I need a beer.

edited February 2013
    All I'm saying is that calling for Dan's head might get you a new figurehead EP but the same old Cryptic/PWE.

Telling them why the game's not fun any more and why you're not spending money any more might actually get you a better game (and who knows - possibly a new EP as well).

just to let you know I'm not gunning for you :P cool with fellow player bad with Dan. :D
    lHut1H2.jpg
    edited February 2013
    thebumble wrote: »
    Seriously, I think it was the nuking of Vulcan that did it.

The ship wasn't bad, its the original, if he does a few more, maybe we'll see a good refit. If you put your sunglasses on you could get through the lensflares. Even the characters were decently portrayed.

But...

They...nuked...Vulcan. How many Vulcans are stationed on bases and ships in normal Star Trek vs JJ version? Yep. Exactly. Now their an endangered species. How many vulcan characters won't make it to the future in JJ's version? Like Tuvok. Will Voyager make it back because he might be dead? Which means he's never on the Excelsior with Sulu. What about Savek? Without her involvement in the attempted assassination, maybe this time they succeed...

Bleh..JJ, you made my brain hurt...

Well, being that it's an alternate reality, they have alot to play with.

You'd think Star Trek fans of all people would get the "Alternate Reality" angle.

It's like complaining that the Mirror Universe is different. Well no TRIBBLE, it's supposed to be.
    edited February 2013
    thebumble wrote: »
    They...nuked...Vulcan. How many Vulcans are stationed on bases and ships in normal Star Trek vs JJ version? Yep. Exactly. Now their an endangered species. How many vulcan characters won't make it to the future in JJ's version?

You really think JJ gave a TRIBBLE about that? If the series has some legs then maybe, maybe they'll make some vague nods towards TNG at some point, but right now, TNG, Voyager and DS9 are gone as story concerns - he can do whatever the heck he likes with Trek and the Paramount execs couldn't care less as long as the box office holds up.

They wiped the slate clean (or as much as they could) for a reason - they don't want to be saddled with 'Prime' Trek's legacy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • goldpressedgoldpressed Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    atomictiki wrote: »
    He wentto Zynga... a vile company that is now going down in flames.

He was just an undercover agent to learn about f2p micro-transactions and what a game is like where you just click click click...check back later and click some more. Aside from grinding STO has turned into a click fest. Don't remember when i actually had to fly my ship very far. mission menus, queues, transwarps (even paid with ec), and personal rep stores can get you where and what you need.
    edited February 2013
    You really think JJ gave a TRIBBLE about that? If the series has some legs then maybe, maybe they'll make vague some nods towards TNG at some point, but right now, TNG, Voyager and DS9 are gone as story concerns - he can do whatever the heck he likes with Trek and the Paramount execs couldn't care less as long as the box office holds up.

They wiped the slate clean (or as much as they could) for a reason - they don't want to be saddled with 'Prime' Trek's legacy.

Distraction, diverging from the topic Kaz :)
    I need a beer.

edited February 2013
    Kaz, it comes to mind that instead of a simple boycott, we should hold a mass sit in on the servers. Simply sitting there, effectively AFK in one zone. Say, ESD.

It would at the very least cost the powers that be some more money.

New sig btw.

I was thinking of getting a campaign going KDF-side so that everyone changes their title to 'Disenchanted' :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hi Captains,

I'm receiving many requests for someone to post to this thread -- as I've said elsewhere, there have been no further posts from dStahl or anyone else because there are no further updates to provide at this time. Daniel created the thread to let you know some of the "why" behind the change, and even made a few comments after that elaborating more, along with letting you know some of our plans.

If there are more updates that I can pass along, I will most certainly do so -- you have my commitment to that. You also have my commitment that I will continue reading every single post made in this thread (and I have been since it was created). I am passing along your feedback from this thread directly to the decision makers, but I have no involvement in the decision making.

Also, a few of you have made comments about moderation taken in this thread. Posts that break our forum rules will be moderated, as well as the users who posted them. I suggest everyone takes a look at our forum rules here and keep them in mind. This is a friendly warning as I would hate to see anyone banned for breaking them. It's okay to be upset, it's okay to post how much you hate the change, it's okay to feel the way you do, but it's not okay to break our forum rules. As you can tell from the many constructive, yet highly negative posts in this thread, the only posts that have been and will be moderated are those that don't follow our rules. Lastly, discussing moderation taken on the forums is against the forum rules as well. If you have a question about any moderation actions taken by the mods or myself, please reach out to me via the instructions in my forum signature.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I don't think they even noticed your post BranFlakes. lol :P
    signwidrona.png
  • himble42himble42 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    idrona wrote: »

We saw it, it just doesn't say anything.
    Himble_zps0106667a.jpg
    edited February 2013
    idrona wrote: »

I did, and promptly read the rules. There was little else in the way of genuine meaning in it anyway.
    I need a beer.

edited February 2013
    Distraction, diverging from the topic Kaz :)

Oooh!! Something shiny!! :o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    *snip*

FINALLY!!!

Thank you for at least letting us know someone cares. Next time you see Stahl or whoever calls the shots, pass allong this message: we want the fun back in this game!!!

pretty please :)
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    I was thinking of getting a campaign going KDF-side so that everyone changes their title to 'Disenchanted' :D

Kaz, EMAIL me on this one. I will send my address via PM.
    This whole thing is no small matter and as such must be taken in all seriousness and with utmost haste.

Btw, like my sig?
    I need a beer.

edited February 2013
    gr4v1t4r wrote: »
    FINALLY!!!

Thank you for at least letting us know someone cares. Next time you see Stahl or whoever calls the shots, pass allong this message: we want the fun back in this game!!!

Read 3 posts above yours. I think that says it all.
    edited February 2013
    Kaz, EMAIL me on this one. I will send my address via PM.
    This whole thing is no small matter and as such must be taken in all seriousness and with utmost haste.

Btw, like my sig?

No - singling out Chinese people isn't nice - I know plenty of lovely Chinese people - change it to PWE overlords and we're peachy :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Did the Zen I made strictly from dilithium exchange count as feeding the Overlords?
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gr4v1t4r wrote: »
    FINALLY!!!

Brandon is to Dan what Joachim was to Khan. Brandon can post and show as much sympathy with the players as he dare, but ultimately Dan is single-mindedly marching the toward ruin and doesn't care.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
    edited February 2013
    bloctoad wrote: »
    Brandon is to Dan what Joachim was to Khan. Brandon can post and show as much sympathy with the players as he dare, but ultimately Dan is single-mindedly marching the toward ruin and doesn't care.

ohhh clever...
This discussion has been closed.