test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is your beef with the Galaxy Cryptic?

Comments

• Options
    jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    In Yesterday's Enterprise - Tasha stated that a Galaxy Class carried more then six thousand troops. Six thousand troops. So that includes weapons, rations, supplies, and amenities for those six thousand troops. We can easily imagine that the Galaxy class ships carried the brunt of Starfleet's ground forces during the Dominion War.

While I agree the Sovereign should have superior firepower just because it's tech is newer and was rushed for the Borg encounters - refit and new Galaxy class ships should be much closer to the Sovereign firepower wise.

I've never wanted to demean anyone's favorite ship - but the Galaxy is treated very poorly in this game. I don't want a super ship, I just want a ship that can compete with it's counterparts and is fun to fly. There have been a great many excellent ideas in this thread - Cryptic could take any one of them and make 95 percent of us happy. A competitive Galaxy doesn't nerf the Fleet Assault Cruiser or Excelsior or Avenger - it gives an iconic ship a reason to be played by the people who love her.
  • Options
    supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Regardng Memory Alpha and using quotes from that site as cannon i'd take with a pinch of salt. heres an example of it contradicting itself regarding the Nova Class starship

Technical data :
    The Nova-class was designed as a science and scout vessel, intended for short-term planetary research and analysis. It is not typically suitable for combat operations. The Nova design has a maximum speed of warp 8

Tactical systems :
    Though Novas were science vessels, they had a wide assortment of weaponry, allowing the vessel to handle many threats on its own

Background :
    According to Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual, the Nova-class is the successor of the Galaxy-class starship as the next primary explorer ship of Starfleet

Janeway's assessment of the ship class from the episode Equinox , explains that Nova-class starships are short-range planetary research vessels, not designed for long-range tactical missions

Yes this isn't the Galaxy but if Memory Alpha is confused over the role of the Nova, then could we be wrong about the Galaxy being either a powerhouse combat ship or wrong with it being a toothless old Grishna cat.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Regardng Memory Alpha and using quotes from that site as cannon i'd take with a pinch of salt. heres an example of it contradicting itself regarding the Nova Class starship

Technical data :
    The Nova-class was designed as a science and scout vessel, intended for short-term planetary research and analysis. It is not typically suitable for combat operations. The Nova design has a maximum speed of warp 8

Tactical systems :
    Though Novas were science vessels, they had a wide assortment of weaponry, allowing the vessel to handle many threats on its own

Background :
    According to Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual, the Nova-class is the successor of the Galaxy-class starship as the next primary explorer ship of Starfleet

Janeway's assessment of the ship class from the episode Equinox , explains that Nova-class starships are short-range planetary research vessels, not designed for long-range tactical missions

Yes this isn't the Galaxy but if Memory Alpha is confused over the role of the Nova, then could we be wrong about the Galaxy being either a powerhouse combat ship or wrong with it being a toothless old Grishna cat.

The TNG manual was written years before Voyager was made. Voyagers producers simply took the name "nova" because it sounded good and gave it that small ship we saw in Voyager.
    Besides the name both ship have almost nothing to do with each other.
    The actual "canon" Nova Class is just a small short range survey vessel in the best case, but in no way a sucessor of the Galaxy Class.
    Cryptics interpretation of the Nova Class is laughably over the top and shows again that the devs have no idea about Trek ships.
    Here we see the double standard cryptics devs have towards Starfleet ships.
    On one hand we have a two part episode that clearly shows the Nova Class is inferior to a Intrepid in every way.
    And on the other side we have endgame which shows a Nova variant tha shoots at Negh Va ships (nothing else). Knowing this, guess what Cryptics devs are doing?
    They give the Nova tactical superior tactical BOFF stations than a Intrepid and Galaxy Class have.
    :confused:

Again we see a canon ship being made way better than it should be, but just as almost any other canon ship EXCEPT the Galaxy Class wich got the "honor" of being the lamest ship in the game.
    Thanks cryptic. :mad:
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited December 2013
    500 pages of posts
    Dozens of angry fans
    0 cryptic responses

Says it all folks.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    500 pages of posts
    Dozens of angry fans
    0 cryptic responses

Says it all folks.

You know those people unsatisfied with the GCS are just a very small minority, there are so many other people flying Galaxy classes in STO, according to the devs... :rolleyes:
    funny logic, isn't it? :D:D:D

On the other hand if another small minority (like PvP players) have something to complain about, Cryptics devs listen to them and do something about it (sometimes at least).
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    gralerongraleron Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    0 cryptic responses

I think it's abundantly clear that Cryptic feels that the ship is perfectly fine. Its baseline metrics (number of slots, bridge officer seating, etc) are in line with its peers, and its individualised metrics (turn, inertial, hull strength, etc) are where they need to be for the ship's theme and role. It's unlikely they will agree to change them.

On the other hand, it's lack of performance is evident. So perhaps the effort might be better directed towards nudging Cryptic towards rebalancing bridge officer powers, with a particular focus on improving things at Ensign level for Engineering.

When they climbed down from the EPtX timing changes, Cryptic admitted that this was something they needed to look into. I just expect that it'll be a hard sell to get onto the development schedule unless a tangible revenue opportunity can be identified.
    Vice Admiral Elaron, USS Hard Light
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    graleron wrote: »
    I think it's abundantly clear that Cryptic feels that the ship is perfectly fine. Its baseline metrics (number of slots, bridge officer seating, etc) are in line with its peers, and its individualised metrics (turn, inertial, hull strength, etc) are where they need to be for the ship's theme and role. It's unlikely they will agree to change them.

On the other hand, it's lack of performance is evident. So perhaps the effort might be better directed towards nudging Cryptic towards rebalancing bridge officer powers, with a particular focus on improving things at Ensign level for Engineering.

When they climbed down from the EPtX timing changes, Cryptic admitted that this was something they needed to look into. I just expect that it'll be a hard sell to get onto the development schedule unless a tangible revenue opportunity can be identified.

I think that could be true indeed.

There are a couple of things that could be done, like making A2B start at ensign level, giving team powers the same shield distribution as Tac team (and giving tac team something as compensation) making ship inherent shield distribution dependent on crew and many other thing.

By now i think that discussing things like that would help the Galaxy class much more than proposing new BOFF and Console layouts that won't be realized anyway.

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    neo1nxneo1nx Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think it's abundantly clear that Cryptic feels that the ship is perfectly fine. Its baseline metrics (number of slots, bridge officer seating, etc) are in line with its peers, and its individualised metrics (turn, inertial, hull strength, etc) are where they need to be for the ship's theme and role.

well actually no, they are not where they need to be.
    i speak about turnrate, a tactical ship like the dreadnought need more turn rate, but it is even wrong for the galaxy refit as we can see that the star cruiser got also more turn rate.
    that where there is something wrong considering the size and bo allocation on this ship in comparison to any other ship.
    even that bo layout could be acceptable if the turn rate and inertia would be tune in consequence.
    that why these ship are imbalance, not because they got the less efficient bo combination of the game, but because the dev didn't compensate this by others stats like turnrate for example.
    while every other ship are, and this ship is the exeption that confirm the rule.

this is something that can be use to confront cryptic, it not a feeling, it tangible, predictable and mathematical.
    who care if they made it tactical or not but they must compensate for this only irregularity in this game, at last!
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You don't have to explain to me the mechanics to me on how phaser arrays work. The was never a point when the phaser from the biggest array blasted right through shields and hull of an equal warship, not even on the small Klingon D12 Bird of Prey or it would have been blown away with on shot. The Lance, on the other hand, blasted completely through the shields and thick hull of the Negh'Var Waship and kept going on. You could have lined some more ships above it and got them destroyed as well.
    Ok I miss counted the number of large arrays on the Sovereign. The are 5, not 4. On oval shape one on top and 4 slightly shorter ones on the ventral side of sauser.

all those times a galaxy class lost a fight, if it had actually fired weapons like it had shown to be capable of in the past, it couldn't have lost. it just gets jobed as usual, cause the ship had to be destroyed and they were so shamelessly cheap that they used a bop so they could reuse the explosion effects from the previous movie.

Sovereign Class:
    Tactical systems
    Deflector shields on display
    The Sovereign-class starship had several weaponry enhancements over previous starship classes, including quantum torpedoes as well as photon torpedoes, and numerous phaser banks and arrays.
    The USS Enterprise-E attacks the Scimitar.
    The Sovereign-class originally employed twelve phaser arrays at key locations throughout the ship's hull. Seven dorsal phaser arrays were located on the primary hull, one extending around the saucer section, giving it an oval appearance. Six smaller arrays covered the aft dorsal firing arcs and were located along the aft portion of the saucer section, above the main shuttlebay.

[***Four ventral phaser arrays were located on the primary hull,*** extending around in nearly a half circle on both the starboard and port ventral sides of the saucer section. A single phaser array was located along the ventral section of the engineering hull, running perpendicular to the hull. (Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek: Insurrection) During the refit, four were added to the trailing edges of the warp nacelle pylons (one dorsal and one ventral for each pylon) bringing the phaser array count to sixteen. (Star Trek Nemesis)]

Ref:http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sovereign_class

Primary hull was always considered the sauser section of the Federation ships.

if you wanna get real technical, there are 11 total arrays on the sovereign saucer, but only 3 long ones. the 12th being on the bottom of the secondary hull. nemisis added 4 more on the pylons.

Memory Alpa did not describe All Good Things as you did, so quit lying!!!!!!!! I have copied and pasted the quotes from Memory Alpha and gave you the references. Do I have to highlight the words to you , too? You still arguing with no pasted references. This guy makes up his own technical data with his own opinions. I am done talking to you.

your in denial, we say about the same thing. memory alpha is just the wikipedia of star trek anyway, its not an official canon bible. that entry about AGT was written by some guy like you or me. i had half a page of valid references of the things i talk about, they do the arguing for me, i love how i dont have to make anything up! you dont react well to apposing evidence do you.

I have never said anything about Sovereign being better than the Galaxy. I was proving my point these weapons all serve a purpose and are not useless. The more you have the more could be used as some will get damaged in battle. I think the Galaxy would have done a better job against the Scimitar because it has alot more hull than the Sovereign and it could fire a spread of torpedoes to find the cloaked ship, doing more damage then quick phaser blast. If the Scimitar was ramed by a Galaxy class it might of destroy it or nearly destroyed because the Enterpise D's Sauser crash through a mountain top and still was intact for crash landing.

hey we agree on something. i bet a post dominion war galaxy would have had a more then fair shot at defeating the scimitar outright.

im still not convinced the scimitar is a more powerful warship then the d'deridex, it was more of a super weapon cradle, with a large number of smaller defensive guns and the best cloak ever. at one point, a single d'deridex destroyed DS9 in a decloak ambush in an episode were obrian was jumping back and forth through time. its anti capital ship firepower was enormous, that single nose gun is the most powerful ship mounted energy weapon in ether beta or alpha qudrent. it was just terrible at dealing with smaller targets, like the scimitar seemed to specialize in more.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

changing abilities around effects everything, not just the galaxy. it potentially makes ships that are already quite good, even better, and again, just like with the cruiser commands, the galaxy didn't get a larger proportional bump then anything else did.

maybe adding distribution to other team skills wouldn't be so bad though. every ship with 2 ENS tac stations already has full TT uptime, so does every AtB cruiser. level 3 of the teams skills should give 10 seconds distribution though, version 2 7.5, and version 1 5.

AtD and AtB start at LT and end at level 2 at LTC level, there is no level 3. for both of those skills, why not drop them down to starting at ENS, and ending at LTC at a proper level 3. AtB at ENS many will point to as problematic, due to tech doff popularity, but no ship that doesn't have any business running such a build will suddenly have access to it, and will actually benefit from it if they did, with AtB at ens level. whats actually the bigger concern is that AtB ships will be running EPtS2 and EPtW2/E2, instead of version 1 of those skills. thats a flat buff thats not very deserved.

i think that would fix eng, without throwing the game into to much of a balance upheaval. still, the galaxy with all these eng powers does not fit the ship what so ever, and even if these changes to eng skills got made it still losing out more then it should by not having higher availability of tac and sci skills.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    487 Pages, and Cryptic haven't done anything. Are they aware do you think? :P
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    They're definitely aware. They cleaned the forum war out of here once and they're fast to delete any post that's too inflammatory.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    jer5488 wrote: »
    They're definitely aware. They cleaned the forum war out of here once and they're fast to delete any post that's too inflammatory.

Which means they just don't care about this issue.

They rather give some alien ship which no one cares about a Galaxy Class worthy BOFF and Console Layout, instead of just rewoking the GCS (which we do care about) and end this irksome issue once and for all.

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    gralerongraleron Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    neo1nx wrote: »
    well actually no, they are not where they need to be.

I didn't quite communicate properly there. I'm saying that Cryptic has them where they want them. What you or I think they should be is mostly irrelevant. Unless we can somehow persuade the devs otherwise, and this thread is demonstrating so well how that's going.

changing abilities around effects everything, not just the galaxy.

Oh I know that the ramifications would be complex, but considering that Cryptic has already conceded that Bridge Officer powers need looking at, I still think it's a better strategy. And heck, even one new power line starting at Ensign, one that acts on an external target and preferably aggressive in some way, that would likely make a lot of difference.

One other thing that's been on my mind a bit is the frustration I have with the weapon system in place, and how horribly it treats beams and energy / torpedo combinations. Only unlimited 360 degree weapon cannon, not beam? Cruisers forced into circling broadsides if they want to use beams and bring all weapon slots to bear? I mean, for Kirk's sake, you never heard Picard saying "Adopt 5km orbit from the target". It was always head on, minimum aspect, combined phasers and torpedoes. But this particular rant is only tangentially related to the Galaxy, I suppose.
    Vice Admiral Elaron, USS Hard Light
  • Options
    alexindcobraalexindcobra Member Posts: 608
    edited December 2013

Technical data :

Tactical systems :

Background :

I don't think that was Memory Alpha's fault. The TNG technical manual had made a guess about the ship should of been in the future but the ship was not shown till Voyager, so stats were updated and the TNG manual was off on stats. That still beats a player's opinon not using any quote to argue against writen data.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    all those times a galaxy class lost a fight, if it had actually fired weapons like it had shown to be capable of in the past, it couldn't have lost. it just gets jobed as usual, cause the ship had to be destroyed and they were so shamelessly cheap that they used a bop so they could reuse the explosion effects from the previous movie.

if you wanna get real technical, there are 11 total arrays on the sovereign saucer, but only 3 long ones. the 12th being on the bottom of the secondary hull. nemisis added 4 more on the pylons.

your in denial, we say about the same thing. memory alpha is just the wikipedia of star trek anyway, its not an official canon bible. that entry about AGT was written by some guy like you or me. i had half a page of valid references of the things i talk about, they do the arguing for me, i love how i dont have to make anything up! you dont react well to apposing evidence do you.

hey we agree on something. i bet a post dominion war galaxy would have had a more then fair shot at defeating the scimitar outright.

im still not convinced the scimitar is a more powerful warship then the d'deridex, it was more of a super weapon cradle, with a large number of smaller defensive guns and the best cloak ever. at one point, a single d'deridex destroyed DS9 in a decloak ambush in an episode were obrian was jumping back and forth through time. its anti capital ship firepower was enormous, that single nose gun is the most powerful ship mounted energy weapon in ether beta or alpha qudrent. it was just terrible at dealing with smaller targets, like the scimitar seemed to specialize in more.

If you can't use Memory Alpha as the bible then use your eyes by watching the show. Youtube has clips and episodes you can watch from the show and it did say that Q allowed Picard to travel between the alternate timelines in order to find the solution. I didn't say it was Q's imagination or just fabrication because thats what Riker always suspect.

I don't know why are you arguing with me on the Galaxy vs Sovereign because I am not propping up the Enterpise E over the Enterprise D. The Galaxy was the shows' ship getting to use all it abilities, while the Sovereign had only short screen time on the movies. Actually the Enterprise E was supposed to be another Galaxy but the producers wanted to use another style ship. I was angry on how they killed off the Enterprise D because they could of used a Negh'Var or a Vorcha to battle the ship instead of a repeat battle with a Bird of Prey, that we have seen over and over in Captain Kirk Movies. Also the way damage was midigated was unbecoming as well, because after defeating the borg, everybody knows you mus rotate shield frequencies if your shields are compramised and if you have a warpcore breach that is 5 minutes in progress it can be ejected to save the ship.

Lets just squash this argument. I think the Galaxy X is a moded Galaxy so it can be just as aggressive as a Klingon Battlecruiser.
  • Options
    sevmragesevmrage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Lets just squash this argument. I think the Galaxy X is a moded Galaxy so it can be just as aggressive as a Klingon Battlecruiser.

That is why the X was made in STO Canon.
    Weyland-Yutani Joint Space Venture - Always open to new members!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My name is Rage, and I too support a revised Galaxy family.
    khayuung wrote: »
    Firstly, be proud! You're part of the few, the stubborn, the Federation Dreadnought Captains.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    yreodred wrote: »
    Which means they just don't care about this issue.

They rather give some alien ship which no one cares about a Galaxy Class worthy BOFF and Console Layout, instead of just rewoking the GCS (which we do care about) and end this irksome issue once and for all.

Just a thought. But why would they want to end the debate on this thread?
    I don't mean they do not want to placate their players. I am referring to the fact that many people come in here with ship stats and arguments for them that the devs can read and pick out the best ones for future use.
    The term escapes me as I have not had coffee yet. But basically they have a thread going where they share ship designing with the public instead of having one over worked guy trying to do it themselves.

Edit: And right after I post I remember the term. Crowd Sourcing.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    feiqa wrote: »
    Just a thought. But why would they want to end the debate on this thread?
    I don't mean they do not want to placate their players. I am referring to the fact that many people come in here with ship stats and arguments for them that the devs can read and pick out the best ones for future use.
    The term escapes me as I have not had coffee yet. But basically they have a thread going where they share ship designing with the public instead of having one over worked guy trying to do it themselves.

Edit: And right after I post I remember the term. Crowd Sourcing.

Good point, i really haven't thought that way.

But on the other hand, there will still be demand for new ships with good BOFF layouts, even if the GCS would be reworked. They even could start a thread by themselves asking for ships the playerbase wants.

By now i don't seriously expect the Galaxy -R being reworked, not as long as the same ppl are in charge of Cryptic. What bothers me is the lack of interest on the side of Cryptic. Even more, they do not acknowledge even the possibility the GCS-R could be flawed, just because enough ppl use it in game. It is just a incredible popular ship and that ppl flying it EVEN THOUGH it is a crappy performing ship doesn't come to their minds.
    Cryptics devs obviously think that ppl mainly fly ships because of their stats, not because of their meaning, history or just popularity. This (again) shows how little they understand of Star Trek.
    Ships in Star Trek have a much greater meanig than most ships in other sci fi universes.
    They are almost personalitys on their own, not just a couple of good stats.
    (and yet, Crpyitcs devs do not even try to create good looking Starfleet ships, btw)

And i think that's what Cryptics devs don't understand.
    No matter how many overpowered alien Lockbox ships they will release, there are some that will keep on flying the Galaxy Class because some things are more important than pure numbers.
    Nevertheless having the GCS in such a miserable state doesn't make these people more content when playing STO. Quite the contrary, evertime they see the Galaxy Class being outperformed by a galor Class Excelsior or almost ANY OTHER SHIP, surely doesn't make these people having much fun playing STO.
    On the other hand there are ships like the Excelsior which has been made rediculusly strong just because one dev (we all know who) is a fan of it. If it wheren't Star Trek it would sound like a joke to me.
    Every other canon ship has been made to shine in STO, just the Galaxy Class not. Even more it is the most crappy and without doubt most boring ship in the whole game!

Some people here in this thread have explained more than once what's wrong with the Galaxy Class and we know that the devs are aware of this thread but obviously they choose to ignore it.
    That's just not how you treat customers, it is just insulting in my opinion.

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    If you can't use Memory Alpha as the bible then use your eyes by watching the show. Youtube has clips and episodes you can watch from the show and it did say that Q allowed Picard to travel between the alternate timelines in order to find the solution. I didn't say it was Q's imagination or just fabrication because thats what Riker always suspect.

fine, i'll take your advise and do what i always do anyway, check you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBwoEXlTph0

5:00 in, i remembered correctly. it was all set in motion by Q on orders by the continuum, the past, present and future he hoped to used to complete this test. then when he succeeded, it was all reset.
    I don't know why are you arguing with me on the Galaxy vs Sovereign because I am not propping up the Enterpise E over the Enterprise D. The Galaxy was the shows' ship getting to use all it abilities, while the Sovereign had only short screen time on the movies. Actually the Enterprise E was supposed to be another Galaxy but the producers wanted to use another style ship. I was angry on how they killed off the Enterprise D because they could of used a Negh'Var or a Vorcha to battle the ship instead of a repeat battle with a Bird of Prey, that we have seen over and over in Captain Kirk Movies. Also the way damage was midigated was unbecoming as well, because after defeating the borg, everybody knows you mus rotate shield frequencies if your shields are compramised and if you have a warpcore breach that is 5 minutes in progress it can be ejected to save the ship.

im not really arguing with you about ether ship. you say i make things up, not a true fan, trying to rewrite history, i was defending against that. the stuff i tend to talk about, that so often gets called made up, i just backed it all up. if you dont need convincing about the standing of the galaxy and sovereign class, then good.

a shield less enterprise facing down a vorcha would have been a perfect fight in generations, that would have required a trick move to get out of. without shields, the vorcha would have enough of an edge to beat a galaxy in a strait fight. remodulating shields should have been a no brainier, gross incompetence is the only way to explain that battle.
  • Options
    hawke89305092hawke89305092 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Okay, so, I just happened to stumble across the Memory Alpha page on battleships.

Guess what one of the four ships mentioned on said page was. :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Okay, so, I just happened to stumble across the Memory Alpha page on battleships.

Guess what one of the four ships mentioned on said page was. :rolleyes:

its a silly thing to split hairs about. no mater the configuration, if judged purely on its military capability, its a battleship. its just so much more then that too
  • Options
    silverashes1silverashes1 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    fine, i'll take your advise and do what i always do anyway, check you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBwoEXlTph0

5:00 in, i remembered correctly. it was all set in motion by Q on orders by the continuum, the past, present and future he hoped to used to complete this test. then when he succeeded, it was all reset.

im not really arguing with you about ether ship. you say i make things up, not a true fan, trying to rewrite history, i was defending against that. the stuff i tend to talk about, that so often gets called made up, i just backed it all up. if you dont need convincing about the standing of the galaxy and sovereign class, then good.

a shield less enterprise facing down a vorcha would have been a perfect fight in generations, that would have required a trick move to get out of. without shields, the vorcha would have enough of an edge to beat a galaxy in a strait fight. remodulating shields should have been a no brainier, gross incompetence is the only way to explain that battle.

dont forget the odyssey fought 3 jhas with no functional shields it was only killed by ramming. a bop should have been no problem for ent-d
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    dont forget the odyssey fought 3 jhas with no functional shields it was only killed by ramming. a bop should have been no problem for ent-d

2 of the most contrived battles in all of sci fi. that bop, other then the first 2 torps it fired that led to the core breach, really didn't do all that much damage to the ship, after getting pounded on for a few minutes. there really was no excuse for that single array shot not to have completely blown away that old scout ship, considering the firepower we have seen a shot like that have in the past

the odyssey, thanks to huge scope of the changeling spying we find out about later, allow the jem hadar to adjust their weapons to make them federation shield proof, with no amount of on the fly adjusting being able to compensate. they seemed to be able to do the opposite as well, in this very first battle not even a galaxy class was able to put a dent in those bug ship shields. by the time the war actually started though, that issue was apparently solved. ~10 minutes of direct hull damage to a the odyssey, and it could still move under its own power, was still completely in tact, just took a lot of superficial and non critical damage.

sure would have been nice to see 1 stand up fight, were it didn't have multiple arms tied behind its back, in CGI between the galaxy and some other large threatening ship.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Would have been nice to see the Galaxy go up against the Jem'Hadar Dreadnought, since the Dominion built it as an answer to the Galaxy's might. The Jem'hadar Battleships were just cannon fodder.
  • Options
    sevmragesevmrage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    1v1, toe-to-toe, that would be a good fight...

The Sov might be a strong attacker cruiser, fast and strong for a Fed cruiser, but the Galaxy makes me think of a Space version of the WW2 Battleship Bismarck, minus the bad ending. Huge ship, with huge cannons. Whereas I see the Sov as a Destroyer, or a missile boat. Smaller, faster, more nimble, but with a different purpose.
    Weyland-Yutani Joint Space Venture - Always open to new members!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My name is Rage, and I too support a revised Galaxy family.
    khayuung wrote: »
    Firstly, be proud! You're part of the few, the stubborn, the Federation Dreadnought Captains.
  • Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Would have been nice to see the Galaxy go up against the Jem'Hadar Dreadnought, since the Dominion built it as an answer to the Galaxy's might. The Jem'hadar Battleships were just cannon fodder.

In DS9 the Jem'Hadar Dreadnought had no equal amongst the Alpha Quadrant ships. Even the massive D'deridex which is roughly the same size was still a paper tiger in the Dominion war (see Battle of the Omarion Nebula).

Of course in a MMO where all endgame ships must be relatively in the same ballpark in terms of hitpoints and firepower, the JHDC is stuck being the paper tiger. If it were to be show-accurate, it would have triple the hitpoints and double the weapon slots. In DS9 a lone Galaxy would get pasted by a JHDC. In STO, a good player flying a Galaxy with the right setup can probably beat another good player flying a JHDC.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    In DS9 the Jem'Hadar Dreadnought had no equal amongst the Alpha Quadrant ships. Even the massive D'deridex which is roughly the same size was still a paper tiger in the Dominion war (see Battle of the Omarion Nebula).

Of course in a MMO where all endgame ships must be relatively in the same ballpark in terms of hitpoints and firepower, the JHDC is stuck being the paper tiger. If it were to be show-accurate, it would have triple the hitpoints and double the weapon slots. In DS9 a lone Galaxy would get pasted by a JHDC. In STO, a good player flying a Galaxy with the right setup can probably beat another good player flying a JHDC.

the d'deridex seemed very anti capital ship, was never any good at dealing with a horde of bug ships. that battle you refer to was like 20 vs 150 bugs too.

iv found the jem dread in game to be like one of the top 3 beam boats there are right now. with its escort like station setup and slow mover size, thats not an ideal setup. but it seems to get by well enough to put down a ton of beam pain. a galaxy would be no threat to one, in game. in canon there seemed to be about 3 different sizes of them
  • Options
    mynameisnommynameisnom Member Posts: 639 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The solution is simple... GIVE THE GALAXY ANOTHER TAC CONSOLE, THEN GIVE THE FLEET ONE 5 TAC CONSOLES. IT WAS MEANT TO DESTROY, NOT TANK.
    [SIGPIC]http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.html[/SIGPIC]
    stoutes wrote: »
    Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
    The boss being a gigantic Winter Epohh Researcher. As you lay waste to the Epohh Horde, she can occasionally cry out things like, "Didn't you want an Epohh friend?"
  • Options
    neo1nxneo1nx Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I didn't quite communicate properly there. I'm saying that Cryptic has them where they want them. What you or I think they should be is mostly irrelevant. Unless we can somehow persuade the devs otherwise, and this thread is demonstrating so well how that's going.

and again, no.
    unless you told me that the devs delibaratly made this ship to be the less effective in the game, the only ship that can't do something as good or better than any other ship.
    i don't like to go into the "conspiracy" territory, but if that was the devs intention, well it would look like that indeed.

and what i said is true, there is not a single thing you can not do better with an other cruiser in this game, that what you want to do is DPS, tanking, healing, crow control.
    no matter the gear, reputation, skillpoint, trait and toon proffesion.

so, you see, and this have nothing to do with what i or other think this ship should be.
    i personally think this ship should have been made tactical, but that is irrelevant to the problem because this ship is not bad because it is not tactical, but because even in it own original role given by cryptic, it is completely redundant .
    and redundant isn't fit the descrition anyway because it would mean, then, that it is as good as some other.
    a simple RA star cruiser is better, in every way.
    it not about what we think this ship should be.
    it about giving this ship a real role, something that would be incentive for anyone to choose this ship over an other, and not choose it because it is a galaxy.
    right now every serious player that anderstand how the game work would never choose this ship against an other considering what this ship is capable to do.
    you would only choose it because it a galaxy, not for anything else.
    that how logic show you that this ship is not where it should be, in a game that pretend to work on a minimum of balance.
This discussion has been closed.