test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance (January 24, 2013)

Comments

• orsilorsil Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    game is patching now! will it all work? or we are all doomed?
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I had to go look on YouTube for this.
    signwidrona.png
  • sheepxtremesheepxtreme Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    thats not an answer, at least if your going to provide an answer make it a proper one. same old story with this game nothing is done properly. bunch of monkeys
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Roger... no that's my evil twin currently serving time on Rura Penta. Something involving illegal tiribble usage... :eek:

:eek::eek:
    LOL
    :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    Silly Patch Notes Round Two:

*Ignored player complaints about refine-cap. Decreased amount of dilth in game to punish them for complaining.

*Disregarded list of long-standing issues involving parts of the game that have nothing to do with revenue generation.

*Introduced 9 more types of plasma weapon, because we simply don't feel like making new weapons. Besides EVERYONE has the latest high end graphics card that can render the geometric increase in particle-effects, amirite? iamrite.

*Ignored customer requests for more playable content. Added 11 new currencies instead.

*Disregarded long-standing STF Uber-Torpedo Glitch. If you don't like blowing up, fly a cruiser with blue phasers so you don't aggro the tactical cube.

*Noticed players were having fun with specific power combo, nerfed power combo to point of non-functionality and blamed decision on "PVP Balance." Hahah damn I'm good at my job.

*Rendered everyone's favorite mission unplayable with seizure inducing background graphic glitches.

*Passed up opportunity to generate KDF content. Spent entire shift begging Neverwinter team for a job.

*Fixed insignificant typo in tool tip for lockbox released three seasons ago.

*Adjusted font kerning.

*Adjusted redness of KDF UI to cause permanent eye-damage. This way we can continue to claim no one plays KDF side.

*Replaced one random DOFF name with an obscenity, because naughty words make us giggle.

Patch is expected to take a long time to install as our server tech is busy flirting with the HR manager for the Neverwinter Department. Expect random glitches all day, tomorrow and possibly until the game closes down. Thank you for playing STO: Grind Harder. Remember, if your complaint is about a part of the game that DOES NOT generate revenue you will NOT get a reply. All connection glitches and CTDs are the fault of the user and are not caused by poor programming on our side.

I managed to make a list of bugs I hoped they would have fixed without being a jerk and insulting the dev team yet you can't. Not a good way to get them on your side by being so rude. I wouldn't mind at all if they would just ban disrespectful people like this. Game could use a little censorship sometimes. Despite the many bugs this game still takes a lot of hard work to maintain and still is the best f2p mmo out there.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • milestfoxmilestfox Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    orsil wrote: »
    game is patching now! will it all work? or we are all doomed?

Confirmed. Patch server is up. XMPP server is accessible.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    One thing truly amazes me Pinky...

How many NEW Posters pop up in threads like this, whenever there is a Scheduled Maintenance...

And then disappear back into the woodwork never to be heard from again...

Pinky..., I think we just figured out how to Finally, Take Over the World.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited January 2013
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • starlancedstarlanced Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
  • milestfoxmilestfox Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited January 2013
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    How long ago did the server go down? The timezone thing in the OP says it wasn't supposed to start for another nine hours.

EDIT: Never mind, misread it. :o
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »
    I managed to make a list of bugs I hoped they would have fixed without being a jerk and insulting the dev team yet you can't. Not a good way to get them on your side by being so rude. I wouldn't mind at all if they would just ban disrespectful people like this. Game could use a little censorship sometimes. Despite the many bugs this game still takes a lot of hard work to maintain and still is the best f2p mmo out there.

I have kindly demonstrated various glitches, have been promised "a fix will be made in a patch cycle or two" only to find out no one has even been assigned to look at the issue.

MEANWHILE we are fixing lockbox related typos and glitches in near-realtime. Problems we have complained about get ignored.

I've tried appealing to the directly, I've asked nice.

Now it's time to try humor. Parody. Irony. A touch of sarcasm.

Maybe if I get enough people laughing someone will pass the jokes on to the Dev, who will find it NOT funny and fix the problem!

Unlikely though. Root cause here is all of the complaints we the users have generated since F2P conversion deal with non-revenue portions of the game. If it impacts their ability to sell Zen for keys, they'll be ALL over it.

This... will be the death of the game. Revenue generation begins at Level 50. People aren't going to suffer through broken plot missions to get to Level 50 to spend money.

But what do I know. Two successful businesses under my belt, and a thrid one starting up around me. Clearly I know not of what I speak.
    edited January 2013
    edited January 2013
    I have kindly demonstrated various glitches, have been promised "a fix will be made in a patch cycle or two" only to find out no one has even been assigned to look at the issue.

MEANWHILE we are fixing lockbox related typos and glitches in near-realtime. Problems we have complained about get ignored.

Maybe if I get enough people laughing someone will pass the jokes on to the Dev, who will find it NOT funny and fix the problem!

Unlikely though. Root cause here is all of the complaints we the users have generated since F2P conversion deal with non-revenue portions of the game. If it impacts their ability to sell Zen for keys, they'll be ALL over it.

This... will be the death of the game. Revenue generation begins at Level 50. People aren't going to suffer through broken plot missions to get to Level 50 to spend money.

But what do I know. Two successful businesses under my belt, and a thrid one starting up around me. Clearly I know not of what I speak.

Silly themarie...,

Never take the Troll Bait...

It just leads to 'Mine Control'.

;)
  • thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Your forgetting one of the best business models in the computer gaming industry.

Take a beloved IP, fleece the fans for short term profit then wind up business and move on to next beloved IP (Neverwinter). :o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • starlancedstarlanced Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    milestfox wrote: »
    Welcome to the STO Forums!

Oh I'm by no means new, just haven't posted since everything was reset, but thanks! :D
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Yes at humor at the expense of the devs who are under a lot of pressure and probably work harder then you. Not very funny anyway.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Looks like I am all patched up. Just waiting to login to the game now. Hopefully I won't have to completely reinstall the game for the 6th time since August.

Oh, Mr. BranFlakes, I am not hating on you or your crew. In fact, I would kindly take you out to dinner and buy all of you a steak and a beer!

(then sneak out the back and leave you with the tab)
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
    edited January 2013
    olivia211 wrote: »
    Looks like I am all patched up. Just waiting to login to the game now. Hopefully I won't have to completely reinstall the game for the 6th time since August.

Oh, Mr. BranFlakes, I am not hating on you or your crew. In fact, I would kindly take you out to dinner and buy all of you a steak and a beer!

(then sneak out the back and leave you with the tab)

I'd buy them steak and a beer too and when they realize it tastes like TRIBBLE...

I'd say "Cooked and Bottled as intended" :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • kaltoh9kaltoh9 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Let me say before I rant that STO is probably the best game in existence, and that Cryptic has done a magnificent job keeping the game updated and fun. We players are picky and demanding, yet Bran and the entire team work tirelessly to improve our experience and meet community requests (and demands). And they make cool new content, often, while somehow maintaining in-game F2P/P2W balance--an impressive feat.

That being said, there are bugs, glitches and gameplay issues that seem to have sunk into the depths of the forum but were never actually fixed. And some recent issues, too. I know many will disagree with me here, believing new content is the top priority. And I agree it is vital to the success of the game.

But I say the dev team take a 'moment' to truly polish the game. Dive into the forums and investigate. Listen to the concerns. Truly fix what exists here and now.

-Terradome? Still gives no unique/endgame reward. Awesome stf-style patrol concept, though.
    -Borg cutting beams (player weapon & NPC/gates) are still invisible.
    -Tractor beams don't keep things from cloaking.
    -Space-buffs remain visible to enemies, even under a combat cloak.
    -Completed Red Alerts invite new participants.
    -Carriers have huge crews but weak base hull repair?
    -A tac ensign boff slot: useless. No t5 ship should feel second class.

These kinds of things. They're prob quick fixes because Cryptic has fixed quite a lot at this point, to their credit. (Thank you for fixing Leadership trait!!!) Maybe just one patch could do it. I just want a successful/profitable Season 8/9/10/11/12/13+ for Cryptic/PWE.

Catching up on gameplay issues will keep the game relevant and legendary. A game as epic as Star Trek Online simply cannot have known issues remain or unplayable or illogically useless (ensign tac boff slot, ugh).

It's a legendary-level game by nature, with a loyal Trek+Gamer fanbase. Focus on polishing it up for just a little bit. Then boldly move into new content we can all focus on together.
  • papabloodpapablood Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jwmobrien wrote: »
    I was speaking about the patch in the launcher. It's always 14GB - takes atleast 17 hours to patch up.

Not sure if you are patching same game as me or not ... But most patches I get only take around 10 min or less to patch... Even when I switched computers and had to install game and then patches that whole process only took 5 hrs ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Target locked Captain....Alpha loaded....5,4,3,2,1.... Target dead captain, locking on next target
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As long as STO doesn't bring Pandas into the game, I think we are good for a long time.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    marc8219 wrote: »
    Yes at humor at the expense of the devs who are under a lot of pressure and probably work harder then you. Not very funny anyway.

Yeah I've seen software devs in action, sitting behind a console copypasting code and fixing typos doesn't qualify as "hard work." Nor does slapping a half done texture on a poorly rendered model.

I am actually referring to another game I gave up on here, not STO. STO is slowly becoming "that other game" in terms of shear bug-creep and shortcutting. "Oh look another new weapon, same as the one from LAST season except it's PURPLE and shoots twice as fast!"

When a game gets to this point, I start reducing my play time. Eventually, I'll be done with it all together.
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm still getting the 'unable to authenticate' message when I try to log in to patch, but hopefully that's just normal and will fix itself soon enough.
    edited January 2013
    As long as STO doesn't bring Pandas into the game, I think we are good for a long time.

Knowing how these devs work they've probably noticed your post and there will be an announcement soon about a new playable faction for season 8 and it won't be Romulans :p

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu344/Blackavaar/Screen%20Shots/StarTrekOnline/Screen%20shots/GiantPandas.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • georgeorwingeorgeorwin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yeah I've seen software devs in action, sitting behind a console copypasting code and fixing typos doesn't qualify as "hard work." Nor does slapping a half done texture on a poorly rendered model.

I am actually referring to another game I gave up on here, not STO. STO is slowly becoming "that other game" in terms of shear bug-creep and shortcutting. "Oh look another new weapon, same as the one from LAST season except it's PURPLE and shoots twice as fast!"

When a game gets to this point, I start reducing my play time. Eventually, I'll be done with it all together.
    Seems like, if you do this with other games as well, that the problem might be you.
  • ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Don't we already have Sad Pandas?
    edited January 2013
    Seems like, if you do this with other games as well, that the problem might be you.

Seems like you totally missed the allusion to the game she/he was hinting at. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
This discussion has been closed.