test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance (January 24, 2013)

Comments

• themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    OHGOD THE SERVER IS DOWN! :eek:OHGOD THE SERVER IS DOWN! :eek:OHGOD THE SERVER IS DOWN! :eek:OHGOD THE SERVER IS DOWN! :eek:

...oh wait, it's patch-day. NEVERMIND. I'll panic about something else then...
  • commadorebobcommadorebob Member Posts: 1,223 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    tobar26th wrote: »
    I can correct that...for a price ;)

Just kidding...

I'm listening... ;)
    "If you have never used Cello, I'm not interested in your browser opinion."
    Newbie here (insert vile klingon obsenities)

Wondering if you have to keep patching the game anytime you have to play it?

I have wasted 2 days of my life waiting for the game to patch liturally.

Any comments are welcome. :D

~~~~
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Someone please wake up the hamster in charge of swithching server status image on the front page.
    signwidrona.png
    edited January 2013
    jwmobrien wrote: »

~~~~

MMOs are living, breathing games. That means that yes, you pretty much have to update it every time you load the game. I actually take that into account and start the upgrade process long before I intend to actually play.

At STO, we do the bulk of our updates on Thursday. Today just so happens to be Thursday. :eek:
    And before anyone asks, "why does it take so long when the patch is smaller than last weeks?", let me pre-answer it: it's because it depends on the maintenance that needs to be done :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

well.... at least you guys know that your patchnotes are disappointingly short.

dStahl says: 50 people working for Cryptic's STO team now.
    patchnotes: look more like ... maybe 3 Devs bothered to work this week.

i know, i know not everybody is fixing stuff all the time and working on the next big thing on the schedule instead, but maybe exactly that is the problem.

MMOs are by nature "work in progress" games, yet the patchnotes do not feel like any decent progress is made.
    And i get that feeling regularly because i hate to say it the length of last weeks patchnotes are the exception, these 4 liners are a lot more common.

I want to see Patchnotes like last weeks ...lets just say, more often?

There are too many bugs still left after Season 6 + 7 to let any week go by with 4 liner Patchnotes.
    I don't expect the whole team to work on bugfixing and polish... but lets try to make 15 liner Patchnotes more often hmm?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maltinpolarmaltinpolar Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    - transporter taking you to shipyard instead of first city
    Not an issue for me anymore
    - STF ground gear set abilties being unslotted from toolbar
    - camera view randomly being changed from free camera to follow target
    - Ruberbanding NPCs in kerrat
    - Not able to change instance in kerrat
    Never been an issue for me

One can argue that if it works properly for some, the problem must be user-based. Otherwise it would impact everyone.

No, you can't argue that. You said it right there: it works properly for some. You must be among the oh-so-lucky ones who never get the same bugs as everyone else. Good for you.

I for one get every single bug listed there on a daily basis --some have been like that for A YEAR now-- and I am positively sure that the problem is not on my end or "user-based", since several of my friends and fleet mates have those exact same problems, not to mention all the people complaining about it everyday in zone chat.

So just because it doesn't affect YOU doesn't mean it's not a real game-based issue.
  • lolimpicardlolimpicard Member Posts: 309
    edited January 2013
    zerobang wrote: »
    well.... at least you guys know that your patchnotes are disappointingly short.

dStahl says: 50 people working for Cryptic's STO team now.
    patchnotes: look more like ... maybe 3 Devs bothered to work this week.

i know, i know not everybody is fixing stuff all the time and working on the next big thing on the schedule instead, but maybe exactly that is the problem.

MMOs are by nature "work in progress" games, yet the patchnotes do not feel like any decent progress is made.
    And i get that feeling regularly because i hate to say it the length of last weeks patchnotes are the exception, these 4 liners are a lot more common.

I want to see Patchnotes like last weeks ...lets just say, more often?

There are too many bugs still left after Season 6 + 7 to let any week go by with 4 liner Patchnotes.
    I don't expect the whole team to work on bugfixing and polish... but lets try to make 15 liner Patchnotes more often hmm?

I agree with this.

If they keep up the feature creep without actually fixing the existing ones their program will, sooner or later, be irreparably messed up.
    It's something that has killed quite a few MMOs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • born2bwild1born2bwild1 Member Posts: 1,329 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Where are all the "it's a stealth NERF!!" posts?
  • jwmobrienjwmobrien Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Cheers for that Commandorebob.

So, I just patched the game. Seen the forum and now i'll have to patch the game again after the maintenance the whole 14GB?!

Does this patching ever get quicker? Or less than 14GB?
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

~~~~

Just checking, are you sure you disabled "Patch on Demand" in your launcher?
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
    edited January 2013
    Just checking, are you sure you disabled "Patch on Demand" in your launcher?

Yes. The little tick is in the box that says "Disable on-demand patching".
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yes. The little tick is in the box that says "Disable on-demand patching".

Tick mark in this box means that the game will download all patches/changes, instead of downloading them the first time you visit the affected sector(s).

I usually will do this, as I don't want to be heading off to some bygone sector then wait 10 minutes for it to load as it catches up on long-neglected patches. Yeah, I have to suffer longer on patch day(s) and immediately after a reinstall/new system, but to me it's worth it...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am kind of disappointed. STO seems to have more of the computer nerd vib to it and I have met a ton of nerds in game that always give me good advice on computer stuff like processors and the like. That being said...does anyone not think that maybe they are doing more than just sticking a patch on a game? There is always hardware maintenance. Maybe they are swapping out backup servers or switching to another server all together. Maybe there is some other sort of delay built in.

Could also be that they are asked by the money men to get the patch ready as it wasn't before so to give themselves more time, they decided to do an "extended maintenance."

Even so, I would rather they take the 5 hours now if needed than to have the server die on us later in the day because they felt rushed on completing something that wasn't done correctly.

And when I say nerd, I mean "your pocket protector turns me on."
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
    edited January 2013
    dareau wrote: »
    Tick mark in this box means that the game will download all patches/changes, instead of downloading them the first time you visit the affected sector(s).

I usually will do this, as I don't want to be heading off to some bygone sector then wait 10 minutes for it to load as it catches up on long-neglected patches. Yeah, I have to suffer longer on patch day(s) and immediately after a reinstall/new system, but to me it's worth it...

So... Do I un-tick the box? heh heh heh :confused:
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

It's at your own risk, sir. The advantages is shorter patch times at the launcher but you then patch every time you have a loading screen. Keeping it ticked means longer patch times at the launcher but no patching at all during loading screens.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
    edited January 2013
    dareau wrote: »

Hmmm... Interesting.

So, Basically it's better that I wait on the long patch at the launcher(have the box ticked) then wait a few minutes per sector(have the box un-ticked)?
  • papertoastypapertoasty Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Where are all the "it's a stealth NERF!!" posts?

that's what im suspicious of :rolleyes:
    seems with every patch my confiscate contraband fails more and more :confused:

but the hardware upgrades could be a possibility too
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited January 2013

If your connection is slower, I would just patch all at one time and not on a per instance basis unless you wanna sit around, waiting for the game to patch as you try to play. I actually let the game patch on a per instance basis as my connection is pretty fast so I wait maybe an additional 10-15 seconds at most when I venture into an area I have not visited in a long time. Plus, I always have other applications running to fill my time while anything patches.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    why does it take so long when the patch is smaller than last weeks?

TRIBBLE! Ninja'd by the Community Rep.:P

We all know that the STO servers run on gerbil power,and with all the lag we had the last few weeks,I would say that most of them died on their treadmills and they need to be replaced....

it's all Brandon's fault btw...he forgot to feed them...again...
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Honest Patch Notes:

*Buffed Borg LOLpedo to make even more unfair. All Borg torpedoes now do eleven trillion critical damage per shot, have unlimited rage and are utterly unstoppable. 2 second cooldown.

*Broke user-interface, buttons now change position at random when clicked, or drop entirely. We don't know what went wrong, nor do we care about fixing it. Buy a master key.

*Finished rendering all plot-missions unplayable due to AI glitches, background image failures and various other major show-stopping bugs. This portion of the game does not generate revenue therefore we DO NOT give two tribbles out of a Borg's butt about it. (Sadly this one is more true than you realize! :eek: )

*Added eleven new grind maps and 16 new reputation systems, each requiring 8 new currencies. Some promised rep items are broken to the point that they are useless, while others haven't even been programmed yet.

*Nerfed all powers that benefit the player in any way. Sci Team actually reduces your shields, Eng Team damages your hull, and Tac Team causes your security team to blow **** up aboard your own ship. Haz Team will cause you to burst into flames. Aux Power abilities will set your power levels to Zero for 15 min.

*Decreased server stability. We removed two banks of RAM and half of the CPU arrays and gave them to the Neverwinter team in trade for use of the K-Cup coffee-maker.

*Added new player ability "Orbital Howitzer." Instantly destroys any target for the low low cost of 500 lobi per shot.

*Added a bunch of Foundry stuff that doesn't work. Or does it? No one really knows because the person who programs the Foundry speaks Dutch and we can't understand him.

*Manipulated the Dilth market so you can no longer spend money to get ahead, you must grind a MINIMUM of 16 hours a day.

*Decreased Refine Cap by 7,500.

*Sold password management database to Russian Mobster to finance VO work for next grind-world map.

We expect this downtime to last for at least 8 hours with a 75% chance of something going wrong and extending the time by 2 hours. Downtime will occur during peak hours for non-American markets because we just don't give a dang about France. Sorry France. Cryptic Studios hopes you enjoy your expanded STO: Grind Harder Experience and that you will buy lots of lockbox keys otherwise we will all be unemployed. Thank you for playing STO: Grind Harder.
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    olivia211 wrote: »
    I am kind of disappointed. STO seems to have more of the computer nerd vib to it and I have met a ton of nerds in game that always give me good advice on computer stuff like processors and the like. That being said...does anyone not think that maybe they are doing more than just sticking a patch on a game?

Extended maintenances only happen when the ice cream truck is in the area, coincidence? :P
    signwidrona.png
    edited January 2013
    If your connection is slower, I would just patch all at one time and not on a per instance basis unless you wanna sit around, waiting for the game to patch as you try to play. I actually let the game patch on a per instance basis as my connection is pretty fast so I wait maybe an additional 10-15 seconds at most when I venture into an area I have not visited in a long time. Plus, I always have other applications running to fill my time while anything patches.

Thanks for that. :-D
    edited January 2013
    Cheers for that Commandorebob.

So, I just patched the game. Seen the forum and now i'll have to patch the game again after the maintenance the whole 14GB?!

Does this patching ever get quicker? Or less than 14GB?

Most patches are ~250MB patches requiring as little as 50MB to actually patch. Large patches are not the norm. It just depends how frequently you log on and what is being changed.
    Most patches are ~250MB patches requiring as little as 50MB to actually patch. Large patches are not the norm. It just depends how frequently you log on and what is being changed.

I was speaking about the patch in the launcher. It's always 14GB - takes atleast 17 hours to patch up.
  • kaisercrabkaisercrab Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am kind of disappointed. STO seems to have more of the computer nerd vib[e] to it and I have met a ton of nerds in game that always give me good advice on computer stuff like processors and the like.

And when I say nerd, I mean "your pocket protector turns me on."

Im a girl btw dont hit on me u silly nerds
  • kriss257kriss257 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    Honest Patch Notes:

*Nerfed all powers that benefit the player in any way. Sci Team actually reduces your shields, Eng Team damages your hull, and Tac Team causes your security team to blow **** up aboard your own ship. Haz Team will cause you to burst into flames. Aux Power abilities will set your power levels to Zero for 15 min.

LOL, LOL, LOL:D
    themarie you make my day happy now
    But not far from true game play
    10Chars and I play them ALL.

76561198045166665.png
    edited January 2013
    I was speaking about the patch in the launcher. It's always 14GB - takes atleast 17 hours to patch up.

huh. Mine's never that big. You may want to visit the tech support forum.
    themarie wrote: »
    *Buffed Borg LOLpedo to make even more unfair. All Borg torpedoes now do eleven trillion critical damage per shot, have unlimited rage and are utterly unstoppable. 2 second cooldown.

For some reason...I really want to see this in action :D
  • totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    :confused:

Why can people not logon at Tribble, the STO test environment atm???

Maintenance and patching is on Holodeck not on Tribble.
    Tribble patching was on Jan 22 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=522681

So bad and sad that Tribble is not available during Holodeck maintenance :mad:
This discussion has been closed.