Install Arc
Options

Season 7 Dev Blog #8

Comments

• Options
    pinoirpinoir Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    dastahl wrote: »
    - The goal of the conversion is to retain "purchasing power" as close to what it was previously. We looked at the amount of items needed to obtain gear sets and set out to ensure that if you had enough items to get a specific gear piece or gear set, the conversion would be do its best to retain that purchasing power in the new system. Keep in mind that the way you obtain MACO/HONOR/OMEGA sets is going to be different because it will no longer be in a store, and will instead be via projects. So just having a conversion rate would not necessarily help you decide whether to cash out yet or not. The way you obtain dilithium and gear is changing in this system and you'll be able to see most of those changes on Tribble.

- The conversion will be different for everyone which is why we aren't posting a chart. When you get your crate, it will tell your character specifically how much Omega Marks, Borg Neural Processors, and Dilithium your items were converted to. If you are worried that the exchange may not be to your liking, then you'll have to make the call whether to spend or not. For the most part we are posting this blog to give you enough time to make that call for yourself.

- Due to the fact that some players have enough items being converted to max out the new system, we chose to withhold the conversion crate until the character hits tier 5 in Omega for a few reasons. We wanted player to have the choice at each tier how to spend their resources. We wanted players to be able to make choices about which captain power they want at each tier. We wanted to retain player's purchasing power by holding back the converted items until they can be spent on the Gear Sets. This prevents players from spending the resources they'd saved up for Omega Gear Sets on something else without realizing it.

- The time involved to rank up the Omega Fleet Rep will require a few months of projects, but the resources required should be easily obtainable within limits of standard game play. It also allows us to introduce the Reputation system without an entire subset of the game population skipping it via auto-completion - which isn't fun or in the nature of the design. This is about rebooting how the STFs should have worked in the first place, while giving players the purchasing power to be in similar footing when they finish it.

- There is a subset of players who will have one or two pieces that now have two choices. A) they have until early November to try to get the remaining pieces. B) wait until after Season 7 releases, and then level up the Omega Fleet and have a much clearer and easier path to getting the gear they are missing. Once again, we do not want some players "Skipping" the new Reputation system by getting a free pass because of the STF's they've run. Players will get a conversion crate, but we want all players to make choices at each tier about which powers they select.
    /QUOTE]

We all understand that the conversion will be different for everyone, since everyone has a different number of EDCs, Rare / Proto salvage and Tech saved. All we're asking for is how many EDCs make a mark, or how many rares etc.

For those of us that might actually have enough marks to 'max out the system' as you put it Why not give the marks out to begin with? Likely those particular players have so much loot right now because they have the sets already, and the rep system is gated by the amount of time that it takes to get missions completed and will take months as you say to get the system completed, so why put what we've already earned into MK 12 pension fund until we're old enough? You've already mentioned that we'd have to run the missions ourselves to unlock the tiers, so we wouldn't be SKIPPING the reputation system at all. Why not just give us the converted new currencies at the start when we start the system?

I'm also curious, at present there is a method of converting excess stf currencies into something useful, like dilithium, will we be able to convert our marks and neurals into dilithium as well?
  • Options
    dastahldastahl Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    partizan81 wrote: »
    Any comments on either dilithium drops for Fleet Actions, and/or a dilithium cap increase?

We are adding a slew of new ways to get Dilithium including most of the Fleet Actions. The Dilithium Refining cap is staying in tact for now, but may increase by the time we hit Season 8.
  • Options
    gespensterjaegergespensterjaeger Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ok soo

season 7 blog is up and dstahl officially said it.

WE ARE forced to pay dilithium to get our sets.
    and ofcourse not a small amount eaither.
    we need to pay give or take 200.000 dilithium per set wich is 8.000 per day
    wich is 25 days per Set.
    soooo how exactly is this a improvement by cryptic sadly i cannot see it ?

ohh yes i can CREDIT CARDS. basicly if you want the armor set you need to whip out the credit card and buy zen. and aloot of it.

hmm

allright this is not makeing me feel any better dstahl it really is not.

pay dilithium to get the omega status to level 5 will proboly cost 100.000~~
    then 200.000~~ to get a set

hmm i read somewhere in the blog about not playing 12 hours a day. well i guess you failed there ?

couse if you dont play 12 hours a day i dont see anyone get the set....

really come on couldent you just have increased the drop rate for FREE instead of forceing us pay ?

hmmmmm

can branflakes or dstahl perhaps comment or tell us EXACTLY IN TO THE 100% detail how much dilithium it will take to get 1 complete set of MK XII set

and the TIME estimate you had in mind.
    please keep in mind i got 6 toons wich 5 of them is full mk XII. i will take ur estimated time into my database vs my own play to see if your so called math of 60% less stf will aktually be less couse i cannot see it.

you claim ur math is 60% less stfs needed but when you say dilithium cost added i see 60% INCREASED stf needed.

couse 25 days to get 1 set sounds hmmm not really funny.

2 days allrihgt 1 week maybe. but 25 days ? no

btw it was rude you moved my other topic since it wasent part of the other guys topic just so you could sweep it under the rugg.
    If only they fix Cloaking bugg :( *new message BOOM decloacked.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    A few more comments to address concerns

- We are not taking existing gear sets away from you. Everything that you've unlocked via accolades or purchased via the stores will remain on your character. The only thing being converted are the 42 currencies used in the STFs which are being aggregated into 2 easy to understand currencies: Omega Marks which are earned from Borg related content, and Borg Nueral Processors which are commodies gained from running Elite STFs.

- Once we have the final conversion numbers established, we will be updating TRIBBLE with the conversion script so that any character can log in individually and see the amount of Omega Marks, Borg Neural Processors, and Dilithium they will be receiving. This way you'll see exactly what each character will get and you can decide to cash out for Dilithium or not before Season 7.

- It is important to note that under the existing STF system, you have a very random chance of getting the gear you want and have no idea how long it will take you to get a specific piece of gear due to the random chance of the loot drop. We know for a fact that some players have been trying for a year and still don't have the drop to complete their set. If we did nothing, it may take another year of playing STFs to get the set. In the new system you will know exactly how long it will take to get the gear and instead of leaving it to chance (which could be a really long time), you will now have a finish line in site. It may take a few months, but that is a definite versus the randomness of maybe in a year. By saving your conversion crate until you can actually spend it on gear, it assures that you don't spend it and leave yourself short to get the item you've been trying to get for so long.

- We are listening to feedback and will make appropriate changes to the system before Season 7 goes live as we feel are appropriate.

The part I have a problem is that those of us that do have multiple stf xii sets it seems redundant for us to have to start out where everyone else is. There should be some kind of gauge atleast with accolades earned with the system already where those of us with time invested should not have to start out at the same place of those who have not put in the time that some of us have put in.

Well the slew of new ways if my fed toons which is about half the size of my kdf toon collection... I might be interested in playing the fed ones more if there are decent ways to get dilithium on these feds too. The limitations of the dailies that have been in for 2+ years and b'tran sort of soured my wanting to play feds. So this would be a great change.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Thank you for the clarifications Dan.
  • Options
    partizan81partizan81 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    We are adding a slew of new ways to get Dilithium including most of the Fleet Actions. The Dilithium Refining cap is staying in tact for now, but may increase by the time we hit Season 8.

Oh, well.... nicely played :D I think the system will work if dilithium is more easily accessible, which is sounds like you have covered, I'd just be concerned at this point that people will cap daily too quickly and that will stem their progression. But, more dilithium from more sources is a great idea, glad you guys are moving forward with that!
  • Options
    wesleycrasherwesleycrasher Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    - We know for a fact that some players have been trying for a year and still don't have the drop to complete their set. If we did nothing, it may take another year of playing STFs to get the set. In the new system you will know exactly how long it will take to get the gear and instead of leaving it to chance (which could be a really long time), you will now have a finish line in site. It may take a few months, but that is a definite versus the randomness of maybe in a year. By saving your conversion crate until you can actually spend it on gear, it assures that you don't spend it and leave yourself short to get the item you've been trying to get for so long.

This doesn't make sense, especially for the kind of player you use in your example. So a person like that would probably also have a few duplicate prototype techs, multiple duplicate rare techs, and hundreds and hundreds of spare EDC saved up from their attempt to get that coveted last piece of tech.

So you withhold all the fruits of their labor so they can, what, buy ten copies of that last piece when they finally get there? Unless you give us such a horrible conversion rate that it would only amount to one piece of MK XII gear, it seems unnecessarily cruel to not let the player use his prior efforts to help him level up his Reputation. You're essentially saying, "That entire year you spent trying to get that item has been a total waste. BUT, if you do it again, we'll guarantee you your tech."

Not much of a deal
    All the toys you can't afford.
  • Options
    dastahldastahl Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The part I have a problem is that those of us that do have multiple stf xii sets it seems redundant for us to have to start out where everyone else is. There should be some kind of gauge atleast with accolades earned with the system already where those of us with time invested should not have to start out at the same place of those who have not put in the time that some of us have put in.

This is a new game system much like the Fleet System was a new system in Season 6. We did not give existing Fleets credit for having played Fleet Actions prior to Season 6 - everyone started from the same point.

Similarly, the Reputation system is a new way to earn Captain advancement and will be expanded on in future updates. Season 7 introduces Omega and Romulans, but there will be more reputations and rewards added later. We want everyone to experience the Reputation system on equal footing and be able to make smart decisions about which powers they want their captain to have at each tier. In the case of the Romulan reputation, we want players to experience the mission and cutscene unlocks that occur at each tier that are representative of the ongoing relationship the player has with the Romulans. So we are not trying to say "go do it again". We are trying to say, we appreciate you've played a lot of STFs and continue to do so. We are now adding additional rewards that you can obtain as you continue to play STFs - plus we are giving you a definite answer as to "when am I going to get that last piece of gear I need?!"

Now you will know.
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited October 2012

- We are listening to feedback and will make appropriate changes to the system before Season 7 goes live as we feel are appropriate.

No you are not.

If you were... we'd have fixes to long-standing bugs. We would have playable content beyond grind maps, we would not have an 8K grind-cap nor would we have yet another grind-sink.

Dstahl, you are many things (Game producer, business man, fairly nice fellow overall)-- but a listener you are not.

We the fans... are telling you OMG THIS SUCKS.

It's no longer just a small cross-section on the forum. People in TTS, Zone, STORP, and other channels are unhappy. People I've talked with in game after PUGs are unhappy.

Dstahl, you are NOT listening to your player base. Our feedback means NOTHING to Cryptic.

I would be more willing to accept the upcoming changes if there were some new story or plot advancements rather than grind-map spoonfuls.

Said my piece now, take it as you will, sir.
  • Options
    xenovitaxenovita Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hey Dan,

with all due respect, since you are around answering questions, why don't you take a look at this thread?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=418461

People who enjoy DOFF system are a bit... distressed...
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    vestereng wrote: »
    Will that also include pre season 7 sets ?

most likely yes
    but i bet you have to go to cosmetic guy and alter the toon.

but at what price comes this new functions yeah more dilithium needed and aloot of it
  • Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I am afraid that once this hits holodeck, STFs will slowly die. Every player I know in game is grinding like mad to get their sets before this hit because of the major resource drain this represents. 750 Omega Marks (13 elite runs), 60,000 Dilithium, 30,000 Expertise, 180 Industrial Energy Cells, and 1 day 16 hours per piece just to get a retro borg set. Compare that to 3 hours to do 8 Elite STFs for 15 EDCs for the same gear.

The dilithium costs on gear need to go. Obtaining gear should not be time gated or dilithium gated, it will ruin the STF experience. Requiring a huge number of marks for gear is already a big enough grind. Cryptic, please listen to the concerns that have been voiced by the player base here on the forums and by the sharp increase of STFs running over on holodeck. It's not the cost of advancing the reputation system that's causing people to grind like mad, it is the insane double cost that is going to be forced upon the player base. The STF store won't be the STF store anymore, it will become a dilithium store that requires double grinding.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The information on this was already posted in another thread, each mk xii part will cost ~36k dilithium and 5 elite marks and the grind to tier 5 will be ~80k dilithium and over 1500 marks.

Where did you get your numbers from?

Added via Edit:
    A full set of Mk XII Gear costs 3000 Marks, 15 Elite Marks, and ~100,000 Dilithium.

Attaining Tier 5 in Omega Rep costs 1,686 Marks, 0 Elite Marks, and ~80,000 Dilithium.
    this system is based on the time that people play, what will happen then to the star-base sysytem they say it will take all our time for this system ??
    Grind, grind, grind and grind we will have 4 grind systems.
  • Options
    pinoirpinoir Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    While I endorse the fact that people who have a hard time with STFs will now have an option to actually earn them from the store, even if it takes months to do so, I would bet that you'll see a fair bit of STFs become orphaned by the community since they are no long required to run a longer or harder mission to get a specific piece of tech.
  • Options
    joxertm2joxertm2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    And I've already said in another thread it will hurt only new players. Who'll get MK12 sets... Never.
    And that if Cryptic doesn't care for new players, neither should we.

Ppl please, before you open a new thread check if someone already made another one about the same thing.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    defalus wrote: »
    The information on this was already posted in another thread, each mk xii part will cost ~36k dilithium and 5 elite marks and the grind to tier 5 will be ~80k dilithium and over 1500 marks.

Where did you get your numbers from?

it says give or take. wich means in english "some where between"

so you say 36k per item and 5 elite marks wich we do not know the drop rate of.

108.000 dilithium is give or take 14 days.

5 elite marks can be anything from 1-50 weeks depending on drop rate.

and the time to get omega Tier 5 can be anything from 1 week to 40 weeks.

the blog was kinda TRIBBLE not saying all the numbers and info we need..
  • Options
    fewzzfewzz Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    To help us regrind all these same crappy STF's is one extra one, why havent they added a bunch of new ones, Into the Hive is rubbish and took you 3yrs to make, seriously?

Ive earned what i have got, worked hard for them, i dont like the fact you feel you have to take off me, just to try to get me buy more D, ..............
  • Options
    l3dz3p85l3dz3p85 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    soooo how exactly is this a improvement by cryptic sadly i cannot see it ?

Because now you have a set amount of currency that is required, rather than it being random. Sure, getting luck and getting your drops the first few runs is cool, but doing several hundred without them is not.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    joxertm2 wrote: »
    And I've already said in another thread it will hurt only new players. Who'll get MK12 sets... Never.
    And that if Cryptic doesn't care for new players, neither should we.

Ppl please, before you open a new thread check if someone already made another one about the same thing.

my thread is about cryptic telling us the truth and the 100% truth.

that means to the letter to the very distinctive fact.

how long exactly it takes to get a full mk XII set.

and exactly the drop rates of every single item that is needed.

and the exact dilithium cost.

and the EXACT dilithium time NEEDED to get it refined.
  • Options
    allocaterallocater Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    A full set of Mk XII Gear costs 3000 Marks, 15 Elite Marks, and ~100,000 Dilithium.

Attaining Tier 5 in Omega Rep costs 1,686 Marks, 0 Elite Marks, and ~80,000 Dilithium.

From the 2 data points we got, we can see, that if you want to use 1 mark, you need to spend 33-50dil. It's like every mark has a 33-50dil activation cost.

Now let's assume that the STF will give us the needed 33-50dil per mark. That means:
    1. normal STF 20 marks, should give us 660-1000dil in S7
    2. elite STF 60 marks, should give us 1980-3000dil in S7

just to get even!

But before Season 7, STF generated a dil surplus.

So this is clearly a dilithium nerf. Turning STF from dilithium generators into dilithium sinks. (I doubt we will get 3000dil per ESTF)
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hello all.

Firstly, I have to say that I'm looking forward to the new system. I've enjoyed watching how my starbase progresses and I much prefer that system to one that depends on luck!!

Secondly, I find myself being pleased that Devs are replying to this thread so often. As I mentioned in a thread last week, seeing the Devs out in the forums is a positive thing. Only good can come of it.

Lastly, some questions, please.

1) I can see that the MACO and Honour Guard sets are staying. It seems that the existing Omega set will no longer be available. If it is being discontinued can it please be kept on the same power levels as the other gear? I spent AGES getting my OMEGA set and for it to become irrelevant would be a kick in the teeth for me.

2) Will any of the new weapons under the new system be the same, better or worse than what we already have access to? I think giving the players the stats on the new weapons (or at least telling the players that the weapon stats will remain the same) will give player the ability to make an informed decision as to whether they spend on Borg weapons now.

Thank you.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    l3dz3p85 wrote: »
    Because now you have a set amount of currency that is required, rather than it being random. Sure, getting luck and getting your drops the first few runs is cool, but doing several hundred without them is not.

it is still random mate.

when dilithium is added into the calculations it is random. since you need to REFINE it.

and you can only refine 8.000 per day.

wich means if u forget 1 day you are set back 24 hours....

and also you need marks. wich no one knows the drop rate of. wich also can be random.

sry man but you cannot defend cryptic for doing something and not telling us the 100% truth of it.
  • Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well, based on the numbers they last gave us of needing 80,000 dilithium for tier 5, and assuming that each mission takes 900 dilithium, like on tribble now, and that each mission takes 40 hours like on tribble now, then that works out to 148 and some days. If you work from the other number of 1686 marks, and assuming 17 marks per missions and one mission takes 40 hours, that works out to 165 and some days. I am assuming the difference is due to Bort's numbers coming from some perfect run through, though it could be because the version on tribble does not represent the final product in costs.

But based on the numbers we have, about 5 months to get to level 5, on one character.

Also, since these are the numbers on tribble and there is no was to skip ahead, I find it rather insulting to say that everything at tier 5 is available for testing when season 7 is due in November and there doesn't seem to be a way to get to teir 5 to test it. Though I would be very happy to be proven wrong.

Another question, this line:
    Dilithium is still earned via STF mission rewards and Task Force Omega reputation projects

This makes it sound like the reputation projects will give us dilithium. I take it that these are special missions that take marks or something and give dilithium?

Also, I would like to know what happens to the anti-borg weapons we already have from the store. Are we talking damage type changes, just updated visuals, ground and space weapons? What?

I did find the idea that you could dress you boffs up in the same costume nice, but if this is tied to them wearing the armor, its a bit of a waste since they can't activate the active set powers, and you would have to grind for each armor set.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is a new game system much like the Fleet System was a new system in Season 6. We did not give existing Fleets credit for having played Fleet Actions prior to Season 6 - everyone started from the same point.

Similarly, the Reputation system is a new way to earn Captain advancement and will be expanded on in future updates. Season 7 introduces Omega and Romulans, but there will be more reputations and rewards added later. We want everyone to experience the Reputation system on equal footing and be able to make smart decisions about which powers they want their captain to have at each tier. In the case of the Romulan reputation, we want players to experience the mission and cutscene unlocks that occur at each tier that are representative of the ongoing relationship the player has with the Romulans. So we are not trying to say "go do it again". We are trying to say, we appreciate you've played a lot of STFs and continue to do so. We are now adding additional rewards that you can obtain as you continue to play STFs - plus we are giving you a definite answer as to "when am I going to get that last piece of gear I need?!"

Now you will know.

Yeah I understand to an extent of what is happening but its kind of to me a mixed issue that relates to the way the KDF starbase system works. Just for an example where it collides with this STF reputation system at tier 5 Omega and tiers 4 and 5 KDF shipyard there is not anything new for the player to regrind these or start a grind where with the shipyard the ships being offered do not merit the 20 dollars/fleet modules per ship per character. The same is with this system as seen on tribble if I take my main klingon of each respective class they already have Mk XII KHG ground sets. So both of these systems do not offer me anything for the time to get there.

Edit: This is probally not going to ever happen but maybe possibly at Tier 5 Omega Reputation possibly put in for like the KDF where you can use that store to purchase the borgified carrier you fight in the cure and fed side something similar... From what I'm trying to say basically it just needs a little icing on the cake so to speak for me to get motivated with this system from a stand point of not gaining much from the system when reaching the end of it.
  • Options
    perfectcrypticperfectcryptic Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Might want to reword Borg Neural Processor considering the acronym for it.

Nice to see boff's can get the look now. Still reading through the rest.
  • Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    my thread is about cryptic telling us the truth and the 100% truth.

that means to the letter to the very distinctive fact.

how long exactly it takes to get a full mk XII set.

and exactly the drop rates of every single item that is needed.

and the exact dilithium cost.

and the EXACT dilithium time NEEDED to get it refined.

The content is live on the Tribble Test Server. Players can obtain the numbers on their own. I have already started a thread over the insanity of the new costs for tech. The thread can be found here. You get 60 Omega Marks and 1 Elite Omega Mark per Elite STF run. It will take about 26 days to obtain a full Mk XII set assuming you ran the projects non-stop. Though it is not likely given the dilithium costs.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    thehavrahathehavraha Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Guys, if Dan says he's listening he's listening.

I'm not excited about exactly what I'm seeing either. We talk about it on this week's Podcast UGC. But usually when they say "we hear you", they do. That doesn't mean they'll chose to act on any of our input, for better or worse, but going "You're a liar you're not listening to us raawwr!" is disingenuous.

Obviously Dan is concerned about our feedback. That is about as much as we can hope for.

He's the EP, it's ultimately his job to decide the direction of the game from there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am a Cheestah.
    Check out my Foundry missions
    Fed: "To Helna and Back", "Rema Donna", "Animations with Helna", "Mudd's Weapons", "Waiting for Wednesday", "Monolith"
    KDF: "Time the Enemy", "Time the Ally", "Time the Traitor"
This discussion has been closed.