Install Arc
Options

Season 7 Dev Blog #8

Comments

• Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    mewi wrote: »
    You are the one that is in charge, you are the one pulling the strings. Ever since you came back, the game has turned into a huge gambling machine, mixed with a grinder, and re-enforced with more ill conceived currency systems.

Say what you will about improvements, or about how you feel personally attacked, but when you go out of your way to gouge your playerbase at every corner, or sit by and watch mediocre "Special features" get released at huge costs and criticisms.

Or watch to see bugged content get pushed through regardless of being declared bugged

Or allow players get auto-muted by other players for 24 hours based on "X amount" of spam ignores.

Or leave your support ticket system rendered utterly useless for nearly a year

Lack of a support team

Recycle Has become Cryptics Slogan, although you aren't helping to save the planet by doing so.

Increased Profits Regardless of Above

One is left to wonder where your priorities really exist.
    Jeez... they can't just drop everything and fix a few non-priority things like those, especially since there's little-to-no return value on the work needed to do so.

And on a more serious note, it's exactly people like you he was talking about, what with attacks and such. He's here in this thread for all this time, and you still say that? It says a lot more about you than him...
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    dastahl wrote: »
    No one is ignoring feedback. Season 7 isn't fully on TRIBBLE yet - we are letting you know ahead of time about changes coming so that we can gather feedback.

But I would hardly call some of the comments in this thread as feedback, it is more like personal threats or bashing me - to which I say - ok I get it - there is frustration - but the game will go on and we will continue to improve.

That does not rule out changes that might be made based on feedback, it just says hate me all you want. I can take it. I have the benefit of seeing the reality behind the scenes to know the truth that the game is doing really well.

At the end of the day, this team cares about STO and still spend many hours a day working to make it better and more fun for everyone. Not everyone has the same play style or the same feedback. We have to weigh everything and make a measure and calculated decision. So far we've done pretty good if you go by the success of the game versus how some would like to portray our efforts.

You are the one that is in charge, you are the one pulling the strings. Ever since you came back, the game has turned into a huge gambling machine, mixed with a grinder, and re-enforced with more ill conceived currency systems.

Say what you will about improvements, or about how you feel personally attacked, but when you go out of your way to gouge your playerbase at every corner, or sit by and watch mediocre "Special features" get released at huge costs and criticisms.

Or watch to see bugged content get pushed through regardless of being declared bugged

Or allow players get auto-muted by other players for 24 hours based on "X amount" of spam ignores.

Or leave your support ticket system rendered utterly useless for nearly a year

Lack of a support team

Recycle Has become Cryptics Slogan, although you aren't helping to save the planet by doing so.

Increased Profits Regardless of Above

One is left to wonder where your priorities really exist.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • Options
    outlaw51825outlaw51825 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I am right. Dodds is finishing up the Space portion of the STF secretely and we haven't told Brandon yet :)

But Brandon is right in that "Into the Hive" refers to the ground portion of the STF. The space portion will probably have its own name.

It is a face off against the Borg Queen diamond as well as some other challenges at one of the unimatrix complexes. It is pretty awesome.

HELL YES!!! HELL YES!

Also what about what i suggested a few pages back? About high level accolades translating into discounts of projects? Is that a viable option and if not why not?
  • Options
    thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    LOL! I really did laugh at that. :p

um, seriously.... the price on the Dilithium exchange is the price players are willing to pay.

Yeah simply put the amount of Dilithium on the exchange is dependent on the surplus players have to spend on Zen conversion, this surplus will be diminished by the new Dilithium sinks and thus we will see a fundamental change in the economy I would expect.

The fact that kitting out one ship alone will cost 280k in dilithium not including the 200k required to reach Tier 5 means many will have to re-evaluate their purchase choices, especially given the 8k 24 hour Limit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    felderburg wrote: »
    Wait, so we can't use the stuff we've ALREADY EARNED until we grind to MAX REPUTATION?????!!!!! How freaking long will that take?

If I've already earned something, it is mine to do with as I wish. I should be able to use it whenever I want to. I shouldn't be forced to play more of the same stuff, that I've already played a TON, to use the items I've already earned.

Any of the Space &/or Ground Items that You Already Have will remain playable...

It's ONLY the CONSUMABLES that will be held till you get to Tier 5.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Mr. Stahl, i asked this earlier, but it was passed over relatively quick.

1)will the new console+torp+beam set have any new visual effects to add to the existing brog visual?

2)will they have their own set bonus?

3)is there any possibility of making the rewards account wide rather than character wide to help alleviate some of the stress the conversion is placing on people with stockpiles?
  • Options
    l3dz3p85l3dz3p85 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well, I for one would like to thank Dstahl for all of the time he has taken to make the replies in this thread.

Personally, I am most excited about the upcoming expansion of the Foundry Spotlight because it means there will be a new mission for people to play every week that actually rewards them for taking the time to play it.

On a side note, with all of the talk about offering new ways for players to earn dilithium, why not create some kind of daily for replaying episodes after you've reached max level?
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I am right. Dodds is finishing up the Space portion of the STF secretely and we haven't told Brandon yet :)

But Brandon is right in that "Into the Hive" refers to the ground portion of the STF. The space portion will probably have its own name.

It is a face off against the Borg Queen diamond as well as some other challenges at one of the unimatrix complexes. It is pretty awesome.

Aww poor Brandon.:(
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Just out of curiosity are you every going to fix the bug where a dialogue box conversation de-activates the cloaking device.... its getting rather annoying at times when I get pulled out of cloak cause some breen wants to say something to me or one of my own bridge officers wants to talk to me and it pulls me out of cloak in the MIDDLE of a bunch of hostiles.....

I have no idea where it is at the moment...

But there is a post out there by the Dstahl, that explains that that particular "Non-Problem" is "...Working As Intended".
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    ltsmithltsmith Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Just made my day :) Also could you give us an explanation on the dilithium changes like the increased amount for items, smaller rewards for STFs, greater for Fleet Actions (I know season 6 was big with fleets and you want more people using fleets and the new stuff, but a lot of us just like playing with a couple of friends and/or playing solo) Are you trying to promote areas of the game that are becoming less popular or just doing another rebalance in the games system for future content.
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The Dilithium exchange counts for such a small part of our business that adding more to this does not have any significant change on our bottom line when compared to other promotions such as the Lifetime sale or 15% Zen Sales.

If that's the case, why add farily sizable, and unpopular, dilithium taxes to all of the STF gear and to things like DOFF cadres/grinders (which are fairly random in their rewards and already incur a cost of DOFFs in the case of grinders)?

By putting in both more ways to earn and more ways to spend Dilithium

You are also removing or reducing other dilithium rewards that currently exist.

SEE: STF completion rewards, salvage turn ins, EDC turn ins, and excess borg tech turn ins.

it greatly benefits the players who have lots of time to spend in the game by making Dilithium valuable.

And conversely punishes players who don't.

It also, while we're on the subject, does not reward people who do not play the content the devs want people to play.

You have a wealth of story missions and have mentioned in the past that people play them once and then move on.

Do you think people play the Eta Eridani dailies because the stories are awesome?

No, they play those because they reward dilithium and story missions do not.

Incentivize your pre-existing content with dilithium rewards - this allows you to re-use content that has already had all of the development work put into it.

So all this talk of "increasing profits because we are in trouble" is absolutely not true. Profits are just fine without Dilithium...

Then please review your pricing.

Currently to get to T5, buy 8 [Borg] weapons and buy 3 STF set pieces costs 484k dilithium (approx numbers) - that's over 3000 zen at current exchange prices or 60 days worth of refining.

If you don't need that dilithium for your profit margins, why squeeze the playerbase so hard?
  • Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    That being the case the concerns I have garnered form the player-base that we wish to see addressed are;
    • The insane increase in Doff grinder Dilithium costs (no on wants this at all)
    • The reduction in Dilithium rewards for STF's
    • The creation of multiple new and expensive Dilithium sinks especially in STF's where to get a full space set and weapons we are looking at a staggering 450k Dilithium

Those are the concerns we wish to see addressed by the team and as you can see their is a common concern in each point.

Very well put. This sums up the concerns voiced in this thread very well. The only other concern voiced was over the future of the eight liberated borg duty officers obtainable from Roxy.
    That is a valid point and one that I've already talked to the designers about. We may remove the 2x Dilithium for Gold and just give everyone 960 Dilithium.

It is also worth mentioning, the reason why I'm still on this thread is because all of the feedback in this thread is being shared with the designers and the team. When good points and valid concerns are brought up, I'm taking those concerns to the designers and we're discussing it.

That is one of the purposes of this thread - to get immediate feedback as we are implementing the system. Nothing is set in stone in an MMO an we can always adjust. None of this is even live yet, but we do ask that you give it a fair shake once ALL of Season 7 is up on Tribble and we have the Test Weekend. Then you can see how all the economies are updated and make a more valid assessment.

We will then adjust more from there.

dastahl, thank you very much for your commitment to this thread even after normal business hours. The effort you have put into getting questions brought up here is very much appreciated. Your responses have put some of that concern to rest. Once Season 7 is fully on tribble, I am hopeful that the feedback will help resolve the concern over the additional dilithium costs and reductions.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    There is no corporate overlord impossing game design on us. The closest thing we have to that is Jack Emmert and honestly, he plays STO constantly and usually has really good feedback and is constantly trying to get improvements made to the game.

On a side note: If you can pry Jack away from STo long enough to play Champions you might notice their Alert system is far better than the current one in STO.

Would it be possible to set up STO in a similar way?

I know on tribble for Season 6 there was a neat UI popup similar to the "Alert" sidebar in Champions. Could that be set so that a popup would occur for say "Sirius Sector Borg Assault", I click on it and am entered into a queue that, when full, opens an instance for a Borg Red Alert?

This seems like it might fix the still prevalent issue with a Red Alert appearing and people hitting accept only to be taken to empty maps or team that are half full.

This system could then be expanded to include Red Alerts with Tholians, Klingons, etc.

Imagine a Red Alert series featuring a mixed strike force of Klingon/Lethean/Naussicaan/Orion ships that attack Utopia Plantia, Vulcan, Andoria, ESD, Deep Space K-7. Offer both space and ground versions for queuing.

Same could be done with say Romulan/Reman forced attacking Memory Alpha, Starbase 39, Starbase 114(? the one in Regulus sector), and maybe K-7 as well.

These could also be expanded to Orion/Naussicaan attack on Convoys or something.

The Alert system they have would ROCK in STO and be even more sensible. The Enterprise-E wasn't even in the Sirius Sector when they heard of the Borg incursion...why do I have to be?

Doing an Alert system revamp that is similar to what CO has and similar to what I mention above would really make being in game more exciting and open up the chance to add something new with minimal work considering everything I mention is already in-game art-wise.

Toss Dilithium and Rep/Fleet marks on there and you're set.

Also another side: Will we see Reputation within our factions anytime soon?

Federation Officers: Section 31, Daystrom Institute, Starfleet Corp of Engineers, MACO
    Klingons: Klingon Intelligence, House of Duras, House of Martok, Gorn Hegemony, Orion Syndicate
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pogmahone70pogmahone70 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If the dil prices were not cut and if the fleet actions gave everyone the same amount and not tiered (DPS always wins) then things would go over a little smoother. Lobi crystals and dil should be account wide and not toon wide also because it would make the grind a little easier. The realistic fact is more sinks have been added to the game and the amount we make has been reduced so we have the grind effect.
    Divine Protectorate Gaming
    STO Beta Tester and Original Cryptic user
  • Options
    andoriansrusandoriansrus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    daveyny wrote: »
    I have no idea where it is at the moment...

But there is a post out there by the Dstahl, that explains that that particular "Non-Problem" is "...Working As Intended".

how is it working as intended I dont believe its intended for you to get pulled out of cloak cause one of your bridge officers has something to say.... thats just tripe
    Major Xi'Zzin
    I.R.W. Raptor's Claw
    Storm Eagle Class Warbird Fleet Ha'feh
    I have never trusted humans, and I never will
  • Options
    edited October 2012

While I went into an explaination of our view on Dilithium earlier in the thread, the gist of it is that Dilithium is designed to benefit players who have time to play but don't have that much money. The amount of Dilithium needed across the game is determined by the player's desire for rewards and no one ever has to spend any money on Dilithium - period. Everyone can refine Dilithium every day.

If this is what you understand the Dilithium Economy to be, why are you halving the dilithium rewards in STF's and introducing these new Dilithium sinks?, some of which will cost 100,000's of Dilithium. Surely they will only curtail a free players ability to use Dilithium for the purpose you have designed it for... to allow F2P players a chance to buy from the C-Store!?

It seems contradictory.:o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ok, just checked with the designers and here is what they've done for Season 7

- Normal STFs now reward 240 Dilithium + Omega Marks
    - Elite STFs now reward 480 Dilithium + Omega Marks + Borg Commodity for MKXII Sets
    - Fleet Actions now reward 960 Dilithium (1st place Gold gets 2x this = 1920 Dilithium)

In Season 7, Fleet Actions will now become the best source of Dilithium between the two types of Events.

In addition Fleet Actions will now have better rewards in general
    Gold = Purple + 1920 Dilithium
    Silver = Purple + 960 Dilithium
    Bronze = Blue + 960 Dilithium
    All others = Green + 960 Dilithium

In addition, at max level in the Omega Fleet a repetable project unlocks that converts Omega Marks to Dilithium at a rate of 50 marks to 500 dilithium or thereabouts.

The new Red Alert daily in the New Romulus Sector also rewards 480 Dilithium in addition to Rom marks.

All of this could change before Season 7 hits, but that is what the current plan is.

I've never liked the concept of competing with your own teammates in general and I like this even less.

Unless you have a perfectly min/maxed build you are screwed.

FAs need to rank the outcome of the mission for overall rewards (everyone gets the same) and provide individual bonuses based on each players contribution.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    (Edit: contained wrong information, sorry... got Dilithium mixed up with EC's.)
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    After going over the posts again, I figured out how we can fix this system. Instead of everyone undercutting each other in the exchange, start selling a single zen for 1,000 dilithium.

1 zen = 1,000 dilith
    10 zen = 10,000 dilith
    500 zen = 500,000 dilith
    1,000 zen = 1,000,000 dilith
  • Options
    dastahldastahl Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If this is what you understand the Dilithium Economy to be, why are you halving the dilithium rewards in STF's and introducing these new Dilithium sinks?, some of which will cost 100,000's of Dilithium. Surely they will only curtail a free players ability to use Dilithium for the purpose you have designed it for... to allow F2P players a chance to buy from the C-Store!?

It seems contradictory.:o

The designers had a desire to see more people playing the Fleet Actions by making Fleet Actions the best source of Dilithium. Keep in mind that STFs will reward Dilithium AND Omega Marks - and Omega Marks can then be converted to more Dilithium after you've hit max level in Omega, so it may seem just be a short sighted argument.
  • Options
    ltsmithltsmith Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The designers had a desire to see more people playing the Fleet Actions by making Fleet Actions the best source of Dilithium. Keep in mind that STFs will reward Dilithium AND Omega Marks - and Omega Marks can then be converted to more Dilithium after you've hit max level in Omega, so it may seem just be a short sighted argument.

Maybe if you keep the normal dilithium requirements until you hit T5 then you get that new limit of the rewards being halved would be a good way to balance it out? This is just a guess with my example here it would intise people to use the new Rep system then move on and actually join a fleet to do the fleet action as you said yourself right now the current fleets are about 25 maybe most people like to play with a small amount of friends which makes STFs more fun because they only require 4 people as actions require 20.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Next you're going to say the same for Romulan marks but that can't be.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    how is it working as intended I dont believe its intended for you to get pulled out of cloak cause one of your bridge officers has something to say.... thats just tripe

I can't remember the exact quote..., but as I said, there is a post out there somewhere from Dstahl that explains Their reasoning.

Perhaps there is somebody out there who can recall where it was...
  • Options
    levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If the dil prices were not cut and if the fleet actions gave everyone the same amount and not tiered (DPS always wins) then things would go over a little smoother. Lobi crystals and dil should be account wide and not toon wide also because it would make the grind a little easier. The realistic fact is more sinks have been added to the game and the amount we make has been reduced so we have the grind effect.

Mr Stahl already responded to me on 1 of these issues: He agrees that the 1st/2nd/3rd place reward system would probably not be a good team building idea and that a flat 960 dilth would be awarded to everyone.

As I said this is the most sensible thing to do - this whole MMO - the whole idea of STO - the whole idea of group missions is to support each other to get things done. Many many mission would collapse in failure if everyone was just out to be the winner. The amount of hate and annomosity that would start to be generated towards other players could cripple STO permantly. Franckly it would be a disaster, and I don't want to see the game I love crumble over players fighting for 1st place in everything.
  • Options
    mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ( Notice: I don't know how I posted the same thread twice at different times, but I don't know )
    trek21 wrote: »
    Jeez... they can't just drop everything and fix a few non-priority things like those, especially since there's little-to-no return value on the work needed to do so.

And on a more serious note, it's exactly people like you he was talking about, what with attacks and such. He's here in this thread for all this time, and you still say that? It says a lot more about you than him...

Call it what you will, "insulting," "offensive," or whatever, an emotional response is not required. Do you deny my speculation, or facts presented have been faulty in anyway?
    So given everything you lay out here, what is the rationale behind halving dilithium rewards for STFs yet adding a dilithium cost to the sets where one didn't exist before? Why is there a dilithium cost being tacked onto the the DOFF exchange? We're also getting another dilithium sink in the embassy system. All of these new ways to spend dilithium, but still only 8k a day assuming you hit the cap all the time.

From the outside looking in, I see less dilithium on hand (requiring more time invested) and more sinks. It looks and sounds like currency manipulation.

Because it is manipulation, and he is lying to us. There is no other rational explanation for these dilithium changes.
    This is so far from the truth that it actually made me laugh. While any business could always use more profit, it has little to nothing to do with Season 7 STF changes.

The Dilithium exchange counts for such a small part of our business that adding more to this does not have any significant change on our bottom line when compared to other promotions such as the Lifetime sale or 15% Zen Sales.

Good, then you can change what you changed, back, or give more dilithium, since it doesn't hurt the company that much.

But logic dictates, that your statement is a lie, you will not make any real effort to correct this dilithium sinkhole, or price fixing, and this lie will be clearly displayed upon release.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Love the idea of the STO gateway works great from my IPad , which is ironic cause it's hard to use the pad on the fourms at this moment.

So the beta is out, what are the plans after beta, what's next. I'm asking cause I love the idea of it and the possibilities and hope it won't end up being something working on and somehow get's lost on the piority list.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012

I can understand the rewards parts but if you wanted to use dilithium to help F2P players why does increasing Dilithium rewards in Fleet actions require a reduction in STF's?

Also why have the dilithium sinks at all in STF's? Why would you want to divert dilithium away from it's original intent to help players buy C-Store items. There is already a lot of dilithium diversion as it is.

Indeed if Dilithium was intended to simply help F2P players access the C-Store why has it been diverted to other functions at all?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Let me be a bit more specific in my critique of the new system. The system structure seems fine. The costs in terms of time and time/money seem excessive. The problem for me is the conversion of the old system to new system. You give player absolutely no crediting for the number of times that have have already run the STFs. I'm not talking about accolates, drops, etc. Player who have investe large amounts of time already need to be credited in the Omega Reputation System. Player who have put in enough runs should immediately be rewarded with Tier 5 of the Omega System. And player putting in lesser number fo runs being rewarded Repuations in proportion. I have no objection to players being so rewarded so.

This solution rewards player who have spent a year trying to earn that third set piece immediately. And yet will not rewards the player who get's lucky in receiving their first few STF runs. This system i supposed to a Omega Fleet Reputation system. Well for player whom have already done Omega Fleet activity, reward them!!
  • Options
    entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    As another in this thread pointed out, even among disagreements in how we view the changes vs. what Dan and the others see, I would like to thank Dan for his time to stick with this thread, gather all the feedback, talk about the changes, and explain his/Cryptic's reasoning. It's a tremendous help to helping us figure out what our best courses of action are concerning redemption of our Techs, Salvage, and EDCs and our possible courses of action in Season 7.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Some of this stuff makes me want to go back to single-player offline games.

Lol.... :D
This discussion has been closed.