Install Arc
Options

Season 7 Dev Blog #8

Comments

• Options
    obiwanjabroniobiwanjabroni Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    dastahl wrote: »
    That is a valid point and one that I've already talked to the designers about. We may remove the 2x Dilithium for Gold and just give everyone 960 Dilithium.

Another thing to consider is that unless you folks change something, ranking is damage based. That hamstrings cruiser captains and science vessel captains might as well not even try.
    sig_universal.png
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Dstahl -

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to speak with us. I have managed in a position not unlike yours (not professionally, on a volunteer basis) and I know sometimes it is very difficult to make people happy.

However, I would like you to seriously reconsider the charges that are being placed on the DOff system. If these charges are in fact being imposed on you by higher management, I would ask them to seriously consider cutting these charge increases by a considerable margin.

The simple fact of the matter is that, while I recall reading in Forbes that it was expected that Cryptic would make a lot off of Starbases, Starbases are extremely difficult to put together, and the choke point seems to be DOffs. DOffs that are random and require a lot of grinding to buy. In my main character's fleet I don't know that we'll be getting past T3. I imagine many fleets are in far worse shape than that. While I realize you need to incorporate microtransactions somehow, this, combined with the embassies and the reputation system, are going to require people to make very, very difficult choices. And chances are these choices will not be in favor of the Starbases. The increased difficulty will encourage people to have less and less interest in them. While the absolute dilithium costs may go down, the costs in terms of getting those DOffs will probably go up overall, and this will not go unnoticed, particularly since it will be incorporating the "slot machine" effect so many people hate about the lockboxes.

In short, the way things are going now with DOffs is not going to benefit anyone for the long-term, IMO. Please consider this, especially with the massive threads on it on the Tribble forum, the largest of which has been going on for probably over a week by now and with absolutely no direct developer response.
  • Options
    thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jcsww wrote: »
    I find it funny to read Dan's posts defending the new system as a guaranteed way to get the STF stuff people want. My question is... Why couldn't you have just added something like, trade in 50 Proto Salvage for a Proto Tech requisition? It's simple, it would of taken about a half hour for your team t implement, and everyone would be happier. But no! You need to design some ridiculous epic grind around a system and call it "content" when it's just another boring money sink! :mad:

As you say that wouldn't generate revenue.

It's 2:00 Am here I have work tomorrow and this is important enough for me to still be awake.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    dastahldastahl Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    They clearly require more profit, and the current Lockbox is not that popular, I think we are seeing lockbox fatigue, so new areas of exploit must be opened up.

This is so far from the truth that it actually made me laugh. While any business could always use more profit, it has little to nothing to do with Season 7 STF changes.

The Dilithium exchange counts for such a small part of our business that adding more to this does not have any significant change on our bottom line when compared to other promotions such as the Lifetime sale or 15% Zen Sales.

While I went into an explaination of our view on Dilithium earlier in the thread, the gist of it is that Dilithium is designed to benefit players who have time to play but don't have that much money. The amount of Dilithium needed across the game is determined by the player's desire for rewards and no one ever has to spend any money on Dilithium - period. Everyone can refine Dilithium every day.

By putting in both more ways to earn and more ways to spend Dilithium, it greatly benefits the players who have lots of time to spend in the game by making Dilithium valuable. When Dilithium has value, it allows players who spend the time to play and refine it the ability to sell it to players who would rather not spend the time to do it. Dilithium trade is a convenience transaction between players. One player is giving their Zen to another in exchange for Dilithium. No one ever needs to do this. You can level up the Fleet Holdings and Reputation Systems simply by playing the game and refining your Dilithium.

If you are spending money on Dilithium, it is because it is a convenience for you. You are trading the time you could have spent to earn it for some Zen. Cryptic benefits from this because as a Free to Play game, it allows players who don't have money - our free players - the ability to gain some Zen by trading the time they spent playing to someone who didn't want to take the time.

So all this talk of "increasing profits because we are in trouble" is absolutely not true. Profits are just fine without Dilithium because of Subscribers, Lifetimers, and players who purchase items in the Store.

If you want to see more detailed information on this, I may be giving a talk about how Dilithium helps to fight "pay to win" F2P games at GDC in 2013 by offering players the chance to trade their time to another player in order to get all the goodies in the Store.

And as mentioned above, all of this is the announcement. We still have several weeks on Tribble before this goes live and we are gathering feedback and will adjust as we feel necessary.
  • Options
    raythilo2345raythilo2345 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ok I have a problem with your post here Dstahl

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=6247771&postcount=353

in it you say
    Into the Hive
    Face off against the Borg Queen's forces in this space and ground STF to earn Omega and Fleet marks.

when Branflakes clearly stated in the dev blog that Into the Hive was a GROUND stf only.

so which one is right.
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is so far from the truth that it actually made me laugh. While any business could always use more profit, it has little to nothing to do with Season 7 STF changes.

The Dilithium exchange counts for such a small part of our business that adding more to this does not have any significant change on our bottom line when compared to other promotions such as the Lifetime sale or 15% Zen Sales.

While I went into an explaination of our view on Dilithium earlier in the thread, the gist of it is that Dilithium is designed to benefit players who have time to play but don't have that much money. The amount of Dilithium needed across the game is determined by the player's desire for rewards and no one ever has to spend any money on Dilithium - period. Everyone can refine Dilithium every day.

By putting in both more ways to earn and more ways to spend Dilithium, it greatly benefits the players who have lots of time to spend in the game by making Dilithium valuable. When Dilithium has value, it allows players who spend the time to play and refine it the ability to sell it to players who would rather not spend the time to do it. Dilithium trade is a convenience transaction between players. One player is giving their Zen to another in exchange for Dilithium. No one ever needs to do this. You can level up the Fleet Holdings and Reputation Systems simply by playing the game and refining your Dilithium.

If you are spending money on Dilithium, it is because it is a convenience for you. You are trading the time you could have spent to earn it for some Zen. Cryptic benefits from this because as a Free to Play game, it allows players who don't have money - our free players - the ability to gain some Zen by trading the time they spent playing to someone who didn't want to take the time.

So all this talk of "increasing profits because we are in trouble" is absolutely not true. Profits are just fine without Dilithium because of Subscribers, Lifetimers, and players who purchase items in the Store.

If you want to see more detailed information on this, I may be giving a talk about how Dilithium helps to fight "pay to win" F2P games at GDC in 2013 by offering players the chance to trade their time to another player in order to get all the goodies in the Store.

And as mentioned above, all of this is the announcement. We still have several weeks on Tribble before this goes live and we are gathering feedback and will adjust as we feel necessary.

So given everything you lay out here, what is the rationale behind halving dilithium rewards for STFs yet adding a dilithium cost to the sets where one didn't exist before? Why is there a dilithium cost being tacked onto the the DOFF exchange? We're also getting another dilithium sink in the embassy system. All of these new ways to spend dilithium, but still only 8k a day assuming you hit the cap all the time.

From the outside looking in, I see less dilithium on hand (requiring more time invested) and more sinks. It looks and sounds like currency manipulation.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Real money should always be more valuable than artificial currency. As a result of your dilithium exchange, the price of dilithium outweighs the price of zen (something that can be bought with real money).

Its a faulty system.

$1 = 1 zen = 158 pieces of dilithium.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I am somewhat concerned with the decrease in dil rewards for STFs. But, It's a relatively minor issue.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited October 2012

That being the case why are you introducing Dilithium sinks at all in the game? there is no need for them in STF's or on the Doff grinder.

I don't doubt what you say, I merely don't understand why you would introduce Dilithium costs to STF's. When as you have just stated yourself Dilithiums' main purpose is to allow players to access content on the C-Store in order to curb the issue of Pay -2- Win is that not what your talk is about.

So surely inputting these Dilithium sinks into the STF's and Doff grinders would actually inhibit people from using Dilithium to buy items from the C-Store?

I mean the calculations for 8 Weapons + OMEGA Space set is around 450k Dilithium...:eek:

With an 8k a day refinement cap on top I really don't understand the logic based on your own interpretation of what Dilithium is for in the main.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    red01999 wrote: »
    Dstahl - I would like you to seriously reconsider the charges that are being placed on the DOff system. If these charges are in fact being imposed on you by higher management, I would ask them to seriously consider cutting these charge increases by a considerable margin.

There is no corporate overlord impossing game design on us. The closest thing we have to that is Jack Emmert and honestly, he plays STO constantly and usually has really good feedback and is constantly trying to get improvements made to the game.

Changes in the game design come from the game designers on the project and surface up through blog posts like this. If anything it is the game designers who look at issues in the game and propose solutions. They make the case and build concensus on the team and then implement the agreed upon changes.

It is managements (my) responsibility to announce these changes and collect feedback to share with the designers - trust me there has been a ton of it today.

We are already discussing the reaction and really would like to hold off any changes until the entire system is on Tribble (which could be as early as Friday).

After everyone can see the conversion rates and have the adjusted reward tables, then we you can make an informed opinion about everything instead of trying to react to only a small portion of the changes to a large system.
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yay for living on the wrong side of the world and coming to the party 50 pages late :)
    I'm looking forward to the new system! Lots of new gear and abilities for my captain. Will truely make the game more entertaining.

I do have some questions for Mr Stahl:
    1. Does the Omega Marks to dilithium rep project convert to dil ore or refined dil? Can you yet say how much Marks becomes how much dilithium?

2. Which current STF currencies get converted into which of the two new currencies? Salvage = marks or Borg NPs? EDC = Marks or borg NP? Or split into both? Exact numbers will come later but I'd like to get an idea of how it'll filter into the new system. So when it goes up on tribble I can understand a bit better how the amount in the crate comes about.

3. Is there a possibility to leave tech drops (both proto and rare) in stfs and have the tech drops as a single input for a reputation system project to get the same gear out? That way players may still be drawn to play particular STFs for the particular tech drop but if nothing comes of it they can just kick off the desired project to earn it the new way.
    This would still give some desire to do particular STFs whilst not binding them to it. Win for all. Besides, its a good feeling getting a proto tech drop after an STF. Better than watching a bar graph progress I think anyway :)

4. STF dilithium amount needs to be increased. I love STFs but if they only pay out that much (480 for elite) I'll have to go do fleet events instead and get double the amount and possibly of quadruple that. If dilithium is time based currency, some stfs can last LONGER than a fleet event if the team is particularly bad. The 15min timer isn't a hard limit like the fleet events are, STFs can go over time.
    I strongly suggest you please revise this to at least match fleet dilithium payout amounts. STFs are supposed to be the hardest content in the game bar 'no win' right? Rewards should reflect this.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    linyive wrote: »
    Real money should always be more valuable than artificial currency. As a result of your dilithium exchange, the price of dilithium outweighs the price of zen (something that can be bought with real money).

Its a faulty system.

$1 = 1 zen = 158 pieces of dilithium.
    the prices are set by the players..... So... the players are faulty? (Actually the last time I checked one Zen was worth about 160 dil, so Zen IS worth more)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited October 2012

I also agree with Levi's assessment of the rewards, it would kill support roles, which are as I am sure you will agree already marginalized in much of the space end-game where DPS is more often than not king. I know however that the combat logs list Heals given out and Damage taken, if you wanted a reward system, could you not also have an award for most heals and most damage recived/amount of deaths?. Though such a system would be more complicated and a simple across the board reward may be the way to go.

It's absolutely true - any support in these missions would absolutely collaspse - why would you heal someone - or extend your shields or resurrect someone? That would only take away from your time to earn more chance at the top prize. Even a system that took these other variables into account is not good because there is so much going on that people would get consumed with being the winner. Missions would collapse in on themselves left and right and the game would grind to a halt. The idea of teamwork would be ended if this change goes live. I am glad Mr Stahl can see that to.
  • Options
    superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So given everything you lay out here, what is the rationale behind halving dilithium rewards for STFs yet adding a dilithium cost to the sets where one didn't exist before? Why is there a dilithium cost being tacked onto the the DOFF exchange? We're also getting another dilithium sink in the embassy system. All of these new ways to spend dilithium, but still only 8k a day assuming you hit the cap all the time.

From the outside looking in, I see less dilithium on hand (requiring more time invested) and more sinks. It looks and sounds like currency manipulation.

Um, this. This so much.
  • Options
    commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    42 current STFs currencies? Is that Cryptic fail math at work again?
    There are EDC, rare salvage, Proto Salvage, 3
    common armor, common psg, common weapon, 3
    rare shield, rare armor, rare weapon, 3
    proto armor, proto shield, proto weapon, 3
    Thats 9 for ground gear, same number for space gear. Thats 18 for direct gear purchasing, plus 3 multi use currencies. makes 21

snip

and x2 for the requisition items you take to the gear vendors, that makes 42!!!

You are very welcome.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    the prices are set by the players..... So... the players are faulty? (Actually the last time I checked one Zen was worth about 160 dil, so Zen IS worth more)
    Then...

Price of dilithium for one zen should have a preset minimum, which ensures a rewarding exchange for those who spend physical money.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I hate to beat a dead Targ.... but.... When do we get a playable Romulan faction? :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Dstahl, if your still looken at this thread...

I made a post atm and was hoping more of a clarification on this from you.

You had said, eather through a pod cast or something else, tryed to see if you made a quote of it on the forums with no such luck.

Is that those of us who have worked "hard" <- use this word loosely, on getting our current mark xii gear "ground and space" in the current system (as well as all the accolades for the stfs), which you guys recognized was time consuming, and also at times required 100's of runs to complete, that we would be rewarded in some fashion "you didnt clarify" in your comments but that we would be rewarded in the rep system once it goes live.

Now some of us "I myself included" have not kept any of my edc's and proto tech, techs, I usually just traded them in for Dil for starbase projects. So how are we being rewarded in this new system of yours for "time collected" in this rep system?
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    ok I have a problem with your post here Dstahl

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=6247771&postcount=353

in it you say

when Branflakes clearly stated in the dev blog that Into the Hive was a GROUND stf only.

so which one is right.

I am right. Dodds is finishing up the Space portion of the STF secretely and we haven't told Brandon yet :)

But Brandon is right in that "Into the Hive" refers to the ground portion of the STF. The space portion will probably have its own name.

It is a face off against the Borg Queen diamond as well as some other challenges at one of the unimatrix complexes. It is pretty awesome.
  • Options
    ltsmithltsmith Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well according to the poll on the forums sometime in 2013
  • Options
    jam062307jam062307 Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    That is a valid point and one that I've already talked to the designers about. We may remove the 2x Dilithium for Gold and just give everyone 960 Dilithium.

It is also worth mentioning, the reason why I'm still on this thread is because all of the feedback in this thread is being shared with the designers and the team. When good points and valid concerns are brought up, I'm taking those concerns to the designers and we're discussing it.

That is one of the purposes of this thread - to get immediate feedback as we are implementing the system. Nothing is set in stone in an MMO an we can always adjust. None of this is even live yet, but we do ask that you give it a fair shake once ALL of Season 7 is up on Tribble and we have the Test Weekend. Then you can see how all the economies are updated and make a more valid assessment.

We will then adjust more from there.

I dont' mind first second third being awarded differently, its jsut that Healing needs to count just as much as dps when awarding the places! top spot should be given to those who are the best all around player, dps and survivablilty, not just who's glass gun is bigger.
    STOP THE
    tacofangs wrote: »
    We planned on doing it next weekend, but then we saw your post and were like, "Dude, we should totally move that up a week! Tee Hee!"
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    linyive wrote: »
    Then...

Price of dilithium for one zen should have a preset minimum, which ensures a rewarding exchange for those who spend physical money.
    LOL! I really did laugh at that. :p

um, seriously.... the price on the Dilithium exchange is the price players are willing to pay.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I hate to beat a dead Targ.... but.... When do we get a playable Romulan faction? :D

Sometime after Season 8... ????? :confused:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited October 2012

um, seriously.... the price on the Dilithium exchange is the price players are willing to pay.

actually the price on the D EX is heavily padded by PWE/Cryptic..

you simply CANNOT sell zen for less then the "market value" even if you wanted to..
    the system will change the prices to match the lowest on the market.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2012
    i Am Right. Dodds Is Finishing Up The Space Portion Of The Stf Secretely And We Haven't Told Brandon Yet :)

But Brandon Is Right In That "into The Hive" Refers To The Ground Portion Of The Stf. The Space Portion Will Probably Have Its Own Name.

It Is A Face Off Against The Borg Queen Diamond As Well As Some Other Challenges At One Of The Unimatrix Complexes. It Is Pretty Awesome.

Omg Yayayayayayay
  • Options
    verbenamageverbenamage Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    But I would hardly call some of the comments in this thread as feedback, it is more like personal threats or bashing me - to which I say - ok I get it - there is frustration - but the game will go on and we will continue to improve.

The point I'd like to make is: If the proposed changes are generating that much frustration then they are not, in the eyes of the player base, improvements.

I'm sure the game will go on, but whether or not it improves is a subjective opinion. The majority of the players here seem to be stating that they do not see these proposed changes as improvements.

I would re-examine things. Instead of just acknowledging that players are frustrated and saying that the game will go on, I would look into why these so-called improvements are generating this amount of frustration; and see what can be done so that more people actually agree that the changes are improvements.
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Wait, so we can't use the stuff we've ALREADY EARNED until we grind to MAX REPUTATION?????!!!!! How freaking long will that take?

If I've already earned something, it is mine to do with as I wish. I should be able to use it whenever I want to. I shouldn't be forced to play more of the same stuff, that I've already played a TON of, to use the items I've already earned.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

That is what I am getting at.

I don't think players should be allowed to sell their zen below a certain amount, thus, preventing players from undercutting and crippling the market.
  • Options
    andoriansrusandoriansrus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Just out of curiosity are you every going to fix the bug where a dialogue box conversation de-activates the cloaking device.... its getting rather annoying at times when I get pulled out of cloak cause some breen wants to say something to me or one of my own bridge officers wants to talk to me and it pulls me out of cloak in the MIDDLE of a bunch of hostiles.....
    Major Xi'Zzin
    I.R.W. Raptor's Claw
    Storm Eagle Class Warbird Fleet Ha'feh
    I have never trusted humans, and I never will
  • Options
    captainbaldycaptainbaldy Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I am right. Dodds is finishing up the Space portion of the STF secretely and we haven't told Brandon yet :)

But Brandon is right in that "Into the Hive" refers to the ground portion of the STF. The space portion will probably have its own name.

It is a face off against the Borg Queen diamond as well as some other challenges at one of the unimatrix complexes. It is pretty awesome.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo...
This discussion has been closed.