test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 7 Dev Blog #8

Comments

• fewzzfewzz Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This buggy game is getting real expensive to play, especially to have fun in.
  • levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ltsmith wrote: »
    Also remember each STF give 480 dilithium.

*My math is for just one reputation system (double it for the cost of doing Omega and Romulan projects everyday).

Which new STF gives 480 dilth? I am still waiting to hear what they will pay.
  • dastahldastahl Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    kalecto wrote: »
    I'm sure players will still play each individual STF mission for the accolades, but other than that once this Season 7 change occurs, there will be little incentive to play certain STF missions, as zerobang has already mentioned.

In my opinion the most difficult STFs are my favourites, I prefer a good challenge and mission that requires good team work as well as tactical thinking.

But if you're still around Stahl, does this not concern Cryptic at all? I can only imagine that the queues for the easiest STF missions will be constantly filled post Season 7 while the queues for the more difficult STF missions will pop infrequently due to the lack of players who're interested in them.

Now that all the STFs will reward Omega Marks, we are concerned that players will gravitate towards specific STFs, but we no longer want to require players to play specific STFs over and over just to get a specific reward. The hope is that by making them all equal, players will play them not because they have to, but because they want to. If some of the STFs dry up, then those STFs probably need love to make them more appealing. At least now we'll have an accurate view of which STFs players like most.

We are also making it so that Elite STFs reward more Omega Marks as well as making them the only source of the commodity needed for the Elite Mk XII gear sets - so this way, players must still play Elite STFs in order to get the best gear.
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    dastahl wrote: »
    We have the winter event coming up, the 3 year anniversary event in February as well as all the awesomeness that is going to be Season 8 (which will be our biggest update thus far) in the first half of 2013.

So Season 7 is more than just a systems update. It is a good addition to end game and a stage setter for the upcoming events and missions that will take us up to Season 8.

Season 8, was previously known as coming "Early 2013". Now it seems you changed it to "First half of 2013". Granted, the first half could still mean -early- 2013, but now you went from having it release in the first quarter (Jan-Mar), to being sometime in -either- the first or second quarter (Jan-Jun).

Seems to me, that you guys are a bit "pessimistic" on your own, in estimating a launch window 3 months longer than previously stated.

To ask a direct question: Will Season 8 be launched before or after "Year 3" ?
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited October 2012
    There will be new Klingon specific content in Season 8 along with a bunch of other stuff.

Hint, one mission per year does not actually count as anything remotely meaningful.

You did setup a very very nice mission chain in the past for the KDF, then suddenly abandoned it altogether. Which is a shame since those are the best missions in the game.
    This is the kind of stuff we would love to see for the KDF PvE mission wise. Not Fed missions where we are addressed differently. Actual KDF specific missions. Continue the Feh'kiri story line. Its already epic, make it the epicness.

Oh and we really would love to get some new things to dress our self in.
    There are so many good looking KDF costumes we could have and buy... <hint hint>
    A little here and there would go a long way.
    Throw us a bone, like one new thing for the KDF per month. costume piece, mission, ship. New stuff. To show that you folks are actually mean it.
    Heck, i have a lot of ideas for new Orion outfits that would go well with the theme you have established. that we green girls need a smith instead of a tailor lol.
  • ltsmithltsmith Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Not any new STF all of them offer dilithium (on holodeck) and will still offer dilithium for completing them post season 7 launch.
    edited October 2012
    And in regards to new Klingon content, are you (Mr Stahl), ready to commit to a FULL leveling progression for Klingons in Season 8 (PVE episodic content) ? Like lostusthorn before me said, 1 mission a year does not constitute enough content.
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited October 2012
    With ALL this grinding now in the game, especially all these STF runs were expected to do, why dont you just raise the Level Cap especially with the new content and sector coming up around the corner.

I dont understand why you dont do this, we have waited years allready.
  • mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    Season 8, was previously known as coming "Early 2013". Now it seems you changed it to "First half of 2013". Granted, the first half could still mean -early- 2013, but now you went from having it release in the first quarter (Jan-Mar), to being sometime in -either- the first or second quarter (Jan-Jun).

Seems to me, that you guys are a bit "pessimistic" on your own, in estimating a launch window 3 months longer than previously stated.

To ask a direct question: Will Season 8 be launched before or after "Year 3" ?

Don't be fooled it is a PR push, they realize the sham they are stuffing down our power conduits, so they are trying to squeeze in as many "seasons" as they can.

In reality, these aren't seasons, they are patches, in most games seasons take years to release. Whereas Cryptic is releasing one after another within the same years time.

Hehe, let us just call every new patch a season, then you can say we are at season 120, see how seasoned and aged our game is!? AND WE ARE STILL GOING STRONG

yeah

YEAH

Thats the ticket. *thumbs up*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
    edited October 2012
    levi3 wrote: »
    Which new STF gives 480 dilth? I am still waiting to hear what they will pay.

Ok, just checked with the designers and here is what they've done for Season 7

- Normal STFs now reward 240 Dilithium + Omega Marks
    - Elite STFs now reward 480 Dilithium + Omega Marks + Borg Commodity for MKXII Sets
    - Fleet Actions now reward 960 Dilithium (1st place Gold gets 2x this = 1920 Dilithium)

In Season 7, Fleet Actions will now become the best source of Dilithium between the two types of Events.

In addition Fleet Actions will now have better rewards in general
    Gold = Purple + 1920 Dilithium
    Silver = Purple + 960 Dilithium
    Bronze = Blue + 960 Dilithium
    All others = Green + 960 Dilithium

In addition, at max level in the Omega Fleet a repetable project unlocks that converts Omega Marks to Dilithium at a rate of 50 marks to 500 dilithium or thereabouts.

The new Red Alert daily in the New Romulus Sector also rewards 480 Dilithium in addition to Rom marks.

All of this could change before Season 7 hits, but that is what the current plan is.
  • lordthrudlordthrud Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I agree with most of the things I have read so far on the new rep system for season 7.

Unfortunately its mostly the bad parts.

I am trying to take the advice or the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy.

DON'T PANIC!

But straight away my hopes for a new fun experience have been dashed.

Everything about this game is now about the grind.

Grind out the dil for this and this and this.
    Grind out the marks for that and that and that.

Oh by the way there are more ways to do it now but you will still have to repeat them over and over and over again.

I see the logic from your side surely I do.

But I am not running the game as a business.

I am trying to play the game for fun and relaxation.

The way to fix the STF's was to make the drop rate fairer. Done dusted move on.

And then we could have had more of the things many of us would have preferred for the new season.

I will admit I enjoy most of what is released warts and all.

But normally only for the first half dozen times I play it.

There is an often written sentence about the people on the forums.
    That they are the vocal minority but what is not often mentioned that for everyone here.
    There are at least 10 times the players who feel the same way.

Here's hoping I am wrong and it is a great success.

Watch this space.

Live Long And Prosper
    Fellow mice of wallet.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Now that all the STFs will reward Omega Marks, we are concerned that players will gravitate towards specific STFs, but we no longer want to require players to play specific STFs over and over just to get a specific reward. The hope is that by making them all equal, players will play them not because they have to, but because they want to. If some of the STFs dry up, then those STFs probably need love to make them more appealing. At least now we'll have an accurate view of which STFs players like most.

We are also making it so that Elite STFs reward more Omega Marks as well as making them the only source of the commodity needed for the Elite Mk XII gear sets - so this way, players must still play Elite STFs in order to get the best gear.

Goodbye Cure Space elite....unless with friends I won't ever do that mission with a Pug group again. :D
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited October 2012

- Elite STFs now reward 480 Dilithium + Omega Marks + Borg Commodity for MKXII Sets
    - Fleet Actions now reward 960 Dilithium (1st place Gold gets 2x this = 1920 Dilithium)

In Season 7, Fleet Actions will now become the best source of Dilithium between the two types of Events.

In addition, at max level in the Omega Fleet a repetable project unlocks that converts Omega Marks to Dilithium at a rate of 50 marks to 500 dilithium or thereabouts.

The new Red Alert daily in the New Romulus Sector also rewards 480 Dilithium in addition to Rom marks.

All of this could change before Season 7 hits, but that is what the current plan is.

Please remove this First place TRIBBLE, it makes noone play as a team and creates 20 one man armys, start to realise what you decide upon for once it is so frustrating.
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    To dastahl:

A simple action that would be an amazing show of faith on the part of cryptic to the playerbase would be to allow the purchase of Mk 12 gear on Holodeck for 80-100 EDCs per piece before season 7 goes live.

This would allow those who have yet to complete the set to do so without waiting the two months/grind for those who have already ran them countless times to get their gear and at the same time would not give players a 'head start' into the reputation system. I urge you to seriously consider this.

PS I stopped reading around page 13 so if you have already responded to something of this nature I appologise.
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So... You nerfed the dilithium rewards for the stfs by 50%, but you didn't lower the requirements for the starbases, embassies and reputation system?

Now, we have to work 100 times more to complete all of the projects?

Are you guys on drugs?

You didn't save us 60% of the effort required to obtain these items, you added another... what... 140%+?
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have not read through all 40 pages of posting. But I will go out a limb and say that a very large number of player having given the same feed back that I'm about to give.

So you are saying that all of the time that players have run STFs these past 1000+ days are going to locked away in a box. In order to gain access to the box you are going to have to jump through this series of hoops which are gated with yet more time and time/money.

I'm really just dumbfounded at this. I have not the words.

Edit: Ok now I know why....(highlighting is mine)
    dastahl wrote:
    - Due to the fact that some players have enough items being converted to max out the new system, we chose to withhold the conversion crate until the character hits tier 5 in Omega for a few reasons. We wanted player to have the choice at each tier how to spend their resources. We wanted players to be able to make choices about which captain power they want at each tier. We wanted to retain player's purchasing power by holding back the converted items until they can be spent on the Gear Sets. This prevents players from spending the resources they'd saved up for Omega Gear Sets on something else without realizing it.

Let me reprhase that last bit - "Players are too stupid to make intelligent choices so we have to save them from themselves." Now I just feel incredibly insulted.
    edited October 2012

You may be simplifying the acquisition of STF gear (behind a time-gated Reputation system), but you are effectively nerfing our Dilithium acquisition rate. What was wrong with the current 1100 Dil per Elite STF? And what is the NEW Dilithium count for Elite STFs during the Calendar STFs? Would help if you expanded those, to either be longer periods, or more STFs per week.

Season 7 thus far is adding;

More grind
    More sinks
    Less sources

Just because you add Dilithium to the Fleet Actions, won't make them magically attractive to players. Some of them are downright broken, or boring. Gekli Feeding Grounds says hello. Crystalline Entity still missing in action. Might wanna actually FIX these broken Fleet Actions, before adding the Dilithium?

Also, will STFs still reward "random drops", or is that being removed entirely?
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • verbenamageverbenamage Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited October 2012

So not only is the plan to require us to spend more dil than ever before. By adding dil costs to purchase set items, and adding dil costs to the superfluous reputation system before we can even buy the items. But you're going to cut the dil rewards in half, and you're still trying to pass the whole thing off as a reduction in grinding?

Really, have you no shame?
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited October 2012

so when you play the normal stf's you get half the dilithium when compaired to season 6 in season 7 ? , how is this an improvement ?
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Thank You Mr Stahl for finally responding and clearing that up. Many people may not realize that you have a job to do - they might not like it - but you are doing a good job of staying with the community tonight. I hope you keep it up in the future.
    edited October 2012
    Pre-F2P:
    Star Trek Online

Post-F2P:
    Star Trek Online: The Grind Generation

Interestingly, Pre-F2P lasted 4 seasons (same length as ST: Enterprise, and that got cancelled)
    Post-F2P, we are coming up on 7 seasons (all TNG-era shows ended after Season 7)
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited October 2012
    linyive wrote: »
    So... You nerfed the dilithium rewards for the stfs, but you didn't lower the requirements for the starbases, embassies and reputation system?

Now, we have to work 100 times more to complete all of the projects?

Are you guys on drugs?

This is a good point, i have to ask are they trying to run this game down into the ground? Because they make the most absurd decisions.

Now DS9 will be dead again, they worked hard to get it as a central zone then they go and undo all the work.

Why didnt they just correct the loot drops etc, then give us more content, instead of months creating this senesless content they could have tweaked some numbers in a few minutes. Then say used the time on this new stuff to make interiors or inship travel etc.... they are a strange lot they really are.

STF's now buggered up really, only a few will ever get played (theres also one of the old style still there called a STF, see how weird they are)

FLEET ACTIONS finally and they could of added this reward 3yrs ago or something similiar *sigh*, had there chance to do something about them and they go and leave it as 1st place , 2nd place TRIBBLE so everyone acts alone and like rambo, isnt it called Fleet Action for a reason?

GRIND, the last of the fun is drained out, sucked dry, everything is way over priced and the game is extremely expensive to play correctly, i miss the game when it was at least harmless fun.
    edited October 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    And in regards to new Klingon content, are you (Mr Stahl), ready to commit to a FULL leveling progression for Klingons in Season 8 (PVE episodic content) ? Like lostusthorn before me said, 1 mission a year does not constitute enough content.

This is one of the personal goals I set for myself when returning to the project and something that I'm still working towards. Season 8 is intended to get the KDF closer to this goal if not completely there.

Despite what some may think of our efforts, STO is growing and constantly improving as is evidenced by the fact that we're now the #1 game for PW in North America and my staff is now twice the size going into Season 8 that it was a year ago.

The game continues to do well and while not everyone agrees with our decisions, the fact that we're still here and still releasing updates several times a year with new features and new missions is a testimony to our bright future.

The team continues to work really hard on improving this game, many of which are putting in 10-12 hours days right now trying to get all the missions and event in Season 7 ready.

The game industry in general has taken a huge beating over the last year, yet STO continues to do well so that should be an indicator that we're making the right decisions and moving forward in a direction that will ensure this game will be around for years to come.

Season 7 is going to be as good, if not better than Season 6, and our goal is that Season 8 will be the closest thing to a "boxed expansion" we've ever done. In order to do that, yes we're giving ourselves a little more time, but only because of the scope and manpower needed to do something of that scale. We do expect Season 8 to be out by May, but there will be other updates before then.

So while you may feel it necessary to voice your frustration and anger at me personally, this game is being driven by a large group of very talented and very committed designers who are all Trek fans. We want to see this game succeed because we love the game and have spent years of our lives on it.

We can take the heat and have done so since launch - by owning up to our metecritic score and continually improving. No one can say the game hasn't improved greatly in the last two years. It absolutely has and will continue to do so.

Season 7 is another of example of us taking something that wasn't well done in the first few months after launch and making it much better and closer to what it should have been. Not only that but it is just one small part of Season 7 in general. New Romulus is the name of Season 7 because that is really what it is all about.

The comments in this thread are what they are, but STO will continue on and will continue to succeed due to the love and dedication of the team and the support of the many many players that absolutely love what we've done with the game.
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited October 2012

480 dilithium for 30 - 90 minutes of work in an elite STF? That's 17 runs a day to hit the cap or 392 elite STFs to have enough dilithium to max the reputation system and get a full Mk XII set. For those that don't have been trying to get a full set for months, that may be low, but I got a full Mk XII set on run 292. Adding more work with less rewards makes STFs much less appealing.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Cool, I can look forward to grind twice as hard to acquire the same amount of dilithium that has now has even less buying power. Sounds like a sweet deal!
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    They are nerfing the Dilithium to slow your rate of Dilithium acquisition and use other methods and parts of the game.

It's all part of the manipulation of the Dilithium economy, to in one hand squeeze the amount of Dilithium you can earn, on the other to increase the amount of Dilithium you need to spend. The result is under supply of Dilithium for newly increased demand. The Dilithium currency drop off will force conversion of Zen to Dilithium to increase the Dilithium currency. This means many players will feel obliged to convert Real Money to Zen and Zen to Dilithium... The result will also be to increase the value of Dilithium to Zen on the exchange.:o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    What an absolute disgrace.

Cryptic should be ashamed of themselves for foisting on us this transparent currency devaluation and cash grab that treats the players like 'whales.'

Yes, lets cut rewards in half but not touch the already insane costs on the live grind and add new costs to old grinds. Brilliant.

Finally we have a clear picture of where their mind is at.
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Despite what some may think of our efforts, STO is growing and constantly improving as is evidenced by the fact that we're now the #1 game for PW in North America and my staff is now twice the size going into Season 8 that it was a year ago.
    ...but, you are not the number one game overall.
  • pogmahone70pogmahone70 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is one of the personal goals I set for myself when returning to the project and something that I'm still working towards. Season 8 is intended to get the KDF closer to this goal if not completely there.

The game continues to do well and while not everyone agrees with our decisions, the fact that we're still here and still releasing updates several times a year with new features and new missions is a testimony to our bright future.

The team continues to work really hard on improving this game, many of which are putting in 10-12 hours days right now trying to get all the missions and event in Season 7 ready.

The game industry in general has taken a huge beating over the last year, yet STO continues to do well so that should be an indicator that we're making the right decisions and moving forward in a direction that will ensure this game will be around for years to come.

Season 7 is going to be as good, if not better than Season 6, and our goal is that Season 8 will be the closest thing to a "boxed expansion" we've ever done. In order to do that, yes we're giving ourselves a little more time, but only because of the scope and manpower needed to do something of that scale. We do expect Season 8 to be out by May, but there will be other updates before then.

So while you may feel it necessary to voice your frustration and anger at me personally, this game is being driven by a large group of very talented and very committed designers who are all Trek fans. We want to see this game succeed because we love the game and have spent years of our lives on it.

We can take the heat and have done so since launch - by owning up to our metecritic score and continually improving. No one can say the game hasn't improved greatly in the last two years. It absolutely has and will continue to do so.

Season 7 is another of example of us taking something that wasn't well done in the first few months after launch and making it much better and closer to what it should have been. Not only that but it is just one small part of Season 7 in general. New Romulus is the name of Season 7 because that is really what it is all about.

The comments in this thread are what they are, but STO will continue on and will continue to succeed due to the love and dedication of the team and the support of the many many players that absolutely love what we've done with the game.

Yes you made changes for the better in the past but with these new changes its taking 3 steps back and its gonna drive away players because of your new found love for the asian grind style.
    Divine Protectorate Gaming
    STO Beta Tester and Original Cryptic user
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Being the least wart-covered frog in the pond isn't something to be proud of.
This discussion has been closed.