Install Arc
Options

Skyrocketing Costs and Gear Nerfing Threaten to Force Me Out

Comments

• Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    2. Dilithium will NO LONGER be a reward for stf's
    3. The new romulan stuff will just be another mega grind.

#2 has been flat-out denied. Tribble is not giving out dilithium for STFs, but this has been stated to be a bug.

#3 probably depends on your point of view, since just about any content (including leveling missions) could be considered a grind, depending on how you look at it.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    levi3 wrote: »
    Centre are you being sarcastic? I am sure they see this as closing a MASSIVE exploit of the bank system.

Believe it or not, I actually mean that somewhat serious. Cause, well, this is the main way I store stuff now. Particularly since Starbases were implemented.

I wouldn't mind it if bank space were cheaper, or somehow earnable (The only redeeming quality of DDO). But it lets me store anything! And it's free! Doffs, Boffs, commodities, items as long as they aren't bound... It's what the account bank should have been. Not only that, but the ingame banks have CAPS as to how big you can make them.

That's just mean. :(
    (planting hidden messages eh centre??)

And suddenly everyone began highlighting all of my posts.....
  • Options
    levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Believe it or not, I actually mean that somewhat serious. Cause, well, this is the main way I store stuff now. Particularly since Starbases were implemented.

I wouldn't mind it if bank space were cheaper, or somehow earnable (The only redeeming quality of DDO). But it lets me store anything! And it's free! Doffs, Boffs, commodities, items as long as they aren't bound... It's what the account bank should have been. Not only that, but the ingame banks have CAPS as to how big you can make them.

1) I am sure Cryptic considers it a exploit to close

2) I am sure they fiqure that it will cut down on their data storage - and possibly force people to by more bank and account wide bank space.

Actually it the only change so far that i have heard about that actually makes som business sense - i mean everyone knows it's an exploit - so you can't complain like the other crazy changes they are planning.

Again - using some text in black? trying to put subliminal messages into peoples minds?
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2012
    All Star Trek shows endured for no longer than 7 seasons. However, all Star Trek shows really had their best showing off in their final seasons (DS9 in Season 7 while TNG and VOY had their peaks at Season 6).

I hope that STO is going to endure for another 7 seasons at least, however please in a more positive way than it seems to happen. The majority of the forums (which represents a part of the player base and if you cumpare it, it could even be close to half of the whole playerbase) disagrees with all these changes of dilithium pricing and reward systems.

I take no side yet, I will see when it's live. When I don't like what I see, I might just take another nine month break (like back in the year of hell) and return when Season 8 has already gone live for some time, that is if the game makes it that far.

~ Meowz
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    standupguy86standupguy86 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited October 2012

I have to agree here, It seems like there just isnt any 'free to play' left. They keep creeping in on whats left thats free. Sure we can log on and fly around and do a few missions. But absolutely everything is tied to the CStore.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2012

2) I am sure they fiqure that it will cut down on their data storage - and possibly force people to by more bank and account wide bank space.

Actually it the only change so far that i have heard about that actually makes som business sense - i mean everyone knows it's an exploit - so you can't complain like the other crazy changes they are planning.

I know... still is a disappointing move with nothing to make up for it. :(

There is a distinct possibility that you are on to me....
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Again - using some text in black? trying to put subliminal messages into peoples minds?

If they do I'll just create a free account,create a fleet with that toon and buy all the fleet bank tabs.....and I'll name that fleet Free Bank Space. Problem solved for me,and they have a new 'storage problem' :D
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I know... still is a disappointing move with nothing to make up for it. :(

There is a distinct possibility that you are on to me....

You have been caught - you subliminal messanger you!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    If they do I'll just create a free account,create a fleet with that toon and buy all the fleet bank tabs.....and I'll name that fleet Free Bank Space. Problem solved for me,and they have a new 'storage problem' :D

If their response to your solution is a monthly dilth storage fee to all fleets(kind of like in real life if you have a storage locker) - I think you might want to rename you fleet - could get ugly for you.:eek:
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I have to agree here, It seems like there just isnt any 'free to play' left. They keep creeping in on whats left thats free. Sure we can log on and fly around and do a few missions. But absolutely everything is tied to the CStore.

I've said it before...there is no such thing as 'free' to play,we all pay in one way or another sooner or later.F2P is a very misleading term,especially with PWE.
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2012

You sir have killed me...well played :)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    If their response to your solution is a monthly dilth storage fee to all fleets(kind of like in real life if you have a storage locker) - I think you might want to rename you fleet - could get ugly for you.:eek:

A monthly Dilithium storage fee for (fleet) bank slots would be the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.You will see a mass exodus of players if they implement that.

• Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited October 2012

I don't understand this thinking at all. EVERYTHING can be acquired for free, with NO money investment in this game (well, outside of Veteran Rewards).

In subscription MMO's you'd grind for ages to get end-game gear. In STO you can grind for dilithium to buy gear. You can grind for dilithium to buy Zen to buy CStore goods. It's pretty much the same thing, only in STO you have the option of accellerating that grind by putting the money you would have spent on the subscription into Zen. The option.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    A monthly Dilithium storage fee for (fleet) bank slots would be the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.You will see a mass exodus of players if they implement that.

make it so
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    neoakiraii wrote: »

....I heard rumors of PWE employees trolling people on the forums that didn't agree with PWE....

• Options
    edited October 2012
    ....I heard rumors of PWE employees trolling people on the forums that didn't agree with PWE....

busted, you wins the Internet. :rolleyes:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    busted, you wins the Internet. :rolleyes:

A rumor is only a rumor till it's confirmed.....time will tell.

• Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    walshicus wrote: »
    I don't understand this thinking at all. EVERYTHING can be acquired for free, with NO money investment in this game (well, outside of Veteran Rewards).

In subscription MMO's you'd grind for ages to get end-game gear. In STO you can grind for dilithium to buy gear. You can grind for dilithium to buy Zen to buy CStore goods. It's pretty much the same thing, only in STO you have the option of accellerating that grind by putting the money you would have spent on the subscription into Zen. The option.

In a sub MMO, the player has much more control over the feeling of the pace for a flat fee.

I'd rather set aside time and grind than have to think what the equivalent price would be to skip the grind and if that price is too low, it feels like it's undervaluing my time. Knowing that other people skip the grind is very relevant for something like PvP, as well, which is why I keep saying they should have flat entry fees for balanced PvP tournaments or introduce a PvP sub fee with a guarantee that PvP is on equal standing and that more money won't overpower or outpace you. You can only have sport if everyone has the same access to the same equipment at the same time for the same price.

Not having a price cap makes people anxious and having the price cap for what they want being too high makes them feel unvalued.
  • Options
    piwright42piwright42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    In a sub MMO, the player has much more control over the feeling of the pace for a flat fee.

I'd rather set aside time and grind than have to think what the equivalent price would be to skip the grind and if that price is too low, it feels like it's undervaluing my time. Knowing that other people skip the grind is very relevant for something like PvP, as well, which is why I keep saying they should have flat entry fees for balanced PvP tournaments or introduce a PvP sub fee with a guarantee that PvP is on equal standing and that more money won't overpower or outpace you. You can only have sport if everyone has the same access to the same equipment at the same time for the same price.

Not having a price cap makes people anxious and having the price cap for what they want being too high makes them feel undervalued.

Interesting.
    If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
    They taste the same.
  • Options
    bjchiemarabjchiemara Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Most of the problem is this IMHO...

You have an elite few grinders that have figured out how to effectively grind $10 worth
    or more per day of dil.

They craft 20-50k ec valued (the value placed in-game on the item when viewing 'info'
    for the item) and sell them for an average of 5-50 mil ec on the exchange due to their
    popularity and demand for use in "certain" builds. (I'll come back to this one) Most of
    this over pricing stems from trying to control dominance over the pvp arena turning it
    pay to win more and more.

In order to have the equipment necessary to have a chance in pvp, you have to spend
    upwards of 50+ mil ec just to have decent equipment or access to it via crafiting.

Anything related to the acquisition of items allowing you to access crafting these items is
    also under strict control by PTB (the powers that be). So much so, that acquiring the
    items to craft these items is as expensive as trying to purchase them (either time or
    resources or both).

The Devs see this trend, they know from observation that these consoles, doff's, etc are
    highly sought after and being controlled and pushed into high prices that a lot of players
    will still grind for and still pay dil/zen to acquire.

So without having to actually institute the new economic changes, there have been
    economic changes taking place by the player-base, allowed to take place by the
    player-base that PWE/Cryptic only has to imitate.

NOW since it's the Dev's trying to imitate and integrate these changes into the actual
    economy of the game, do players cry fowl!?!

If greedy "I want something for nothing with no effort or work or sweat involved" ferengi
    were not allowed to spike the market, and we would have placed realistic values to the
    items in the game, then maybe PWE/Cryptic would not have seen us scrambling to grind
    for these items just to have ".1" tenth of a percent increase over the next guy in pvp, then
    maybe the monetary changes to the game would not have been considered.

But if people were not selling Fleet Ship Modules and Lock Box Keys and other Zen store
    items on the exchange for EC to buy these over priced expensive and controlled consoles,
    taking away from others having to purchase the FSM and Keys, etc. in the Zen store, it
    may have curbed PWE/Cryptic's desire to remedy the situation.

Of course the above statement is my opinion base on observation and having been in the
    game since day 1 of the open beta and observing the changes to the game every step of
    the way.

I support PWE/Cryptic in trying to make money from this game. I will continue to pay into
    the game what is required as long as I enjoy playing the game. I do hope STO outlasts
    CoH in longevity.

I also pray that PWE's 'quantity over quality' does not prematurely end this game and that
    PWE fully understands the player-base it is dealing with and RESPECTS it.

They need to understand this is not another cookie cutter WoW game or even close to any
    other MMO, I'm not speaking mechanics or game engine coding, but the universe the
    game is set in and the players immersed in it.

Star Trek fans, I believe, are not only higher quality fans compared to any other franchise,
    but also stretch out vastly into many other franchises retaining their loyalty towards Trek
    above all.

If you upset a Trek fan, you end up damaging that relationship not just in your trek
    franchise but also any other sci-fi, fantasy, etc franchise that that trek fan is most likely
    dabbling in beneath his/her prominent Trek fandom.

It filters down into your other products as a company, either now or most certainly the
    future.

Back to the "certain" builds reference above.

What I mean by that is this game's pvp has boiled down to a certain few builds that work,
    not work effectively but just work. No gray area, either you build it like this and have a
    chance or you don't and fail. These builds require specific consoles/weapons/weapon
    stats and all other's be damned.

Cryptic could benefit well by fixing it so there is a broader area of effective consoles,
    weapons, builds to reach this level of pvp effectiveness.

This could lower the prices of certain consoles in the exchange, while it may increase the
    price of others, there would no longer be a monopoly on build specific items.

IMHO

Maybe also increasing the 'value'/recycle value indicator of these build specific items to
    closer match their going exchange rate, to help stymie the monopolization and control
    exerted by the haves over the have-nots (especially newcomers to the game).

Again, just my honest opinion, we do this to ourselves and allow it to be done. Therefore we have no right to complain about the Devs instituting a more arduous grind, when we as a player-base are creating our own grind.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Of the hundred people I know, around less then a dozen PVP. Its a very small and unimportant part of the game...why is PWE pushing it that hard?
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    bookrackersbookrackers Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    OP is not too far off the mark.....its why im barely on anymore....seems like you have to break your wallet to get anywhere. Especially if you own a fleet.

Some of the returns are petty and not worth the grind. The stipend is a joke. BY the time Im done grinding my routine which takes a couple hours....I have no desire to pick up the game again till the weekend.

Its a snore bore. I dont blame cryptic too much, as I blame the PWE commies. This really is run by an Asian company....wanna know how?

Because money is all that matters.....quality comes a close second.....kinda funny how they fit the stereotype with their American business model.

Thats ok Cryptic and PWE.....I want you to take notice.....things all around us are coming undone very quietly and slowly. Pretty soon no one will be able to afford playing this free game because it costs too much.

With food prices to skyrocket world wide by the end of the year by 35% and fuel prices coming in at a close second as they too are going up worldwide....

I guess everyone at PWE and Cryptic Studios will just have to play with themselves...because no one will be buying anything. Bleed the turnip while you can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    BY the time Im done grinding my routine which takes a couple hours....I have no desire to pick up the game again till the weekend.

Why don't you only play the content you enjoy and skip the daily grinding routine? So you can only contribute 4000 dilithium a week to the Fleet; so what? It's not a race. Why play or do stuff you don't enjoy? It's not like you're going to get a medal for being the quickest person to max out everything.
  • Options
    bookrackersbookrackers Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Before all of this lockbox spam TRIBBLE, I was enjoying playing every evening. I was on quite a bit because I was enjoying the game.

The credit card of STO gameplay that it is now is not worth it anymore....same ole shat different day.

Im not in a race....your right....but I no longer have the interest to sit down and grind the same 5 missions over and over and over because they're the only ones that pay dilithium.

And the cost to further a fleets progression, especially a small one like mine, isn't justified.

Ive been here since just before this game launched, and while it has gotten better play wise, the money grab tactics and the slap in the face of vets who have earned their reward through time rather than purchase is what pisses me off the most.

Its blatant. insulting, and a slap in the face to anyone who has stood behind cryptic like I have from the get go. I have put much time and money into this game period....so why do I suddenly fell like no matter what i do in game now is a waste of that time and a loss of that money?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Of the hundred people I know, around less then a dozen PVP. Its a very small and unimportant part of the game...why is PWE pushing it that hard?

This is something I have trouble with.

I think my fleet has three to five PvPers out of maybe 40 people. Everybody else has dabbled but I doubt they even do one session between friends once a month.

One, I think, quit STO. Three are never on. The last one is a podcaster who loves PvP and who very calmly and cordially said that he think Cryptic should rip PvP out of the game, that it's a waste of resources in a game whose playerbase doesn't care about it, and nobody even batted an eyelash. Just, basically, saying that it's probably an unproductive distraction and that he'd be happier getting his PvP fix in other games while enjoying a more polished STO.

I dunno. I think this is probably one of those things that appeals disproportionately more to the type of people who become game designers than it is to STO players... and then on top of that, most of the people who care about PvP care about it more than anything else.

Someone into Featured Episodes or Romulan faction may have other things that they care about almost as much that will keep them around. Whereas the PvP group, while small, hangs around SOLELY for PvP. With a few stray achievers and theorycrafters. But most have no compelling desire for anything else.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Why don't you only play the content you enjoy and skip the daily grinding routine? So you can only contribute 4000 dilithium a week to the Fleet; so what? It's not a race. Why play or do stuff you don't enjoy? It's not like you're going to get a medal for being the quickest person to max out everything.

What if nothing that you enjoy awards ANY dilithium?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    What if nothing that you enjoy awards ANY dilithium?

Well, since the only thing that would cover would be the story-missions... you could just sell the loot you get from each mission and buy contraband from the exchange. Then you could trade it in for 2k dilithium every now and then.

But let's face it - if you're only playing story content... what do you need dilithium for in the first place?

FAKE EDIT: Actually, I suppose you wouldn't get any Dilithium from just running Fleet Defence (etc.) missions. Would be good for Fed characters to get the "kill x NPC" dilithium daily to cover that.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Well, since the only thing that would cover would be the story-missions... you could just sell the loot you get from each mission and buy contraband from the exchange. Then you could trade it in for 2k dilithium every now and then.

But let's face it - if you're only playing story content... what do you need dilithium for in the first place?

FAKE EDIT: Actually, I suppose you wouldn't get any Dilithium from just running Fleet Defence (etc.) missions. Would be good for Fed characters to get the "kill x NPC" dilithium daily to cover that.

See, if all you cared about was story and fleet, that would be an issue. Doubly so if you hated DOffs.

I think it's easy enough to get some dilithium for things like lore dailies but I could argue that those aren't fun for some people who DO like story.

At some point, you need some vegetables with your candy, is what I'm saying. You can't ONLY play what most people seem to regard as fun.
  • Options
    thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Either way, this game is about to take a nose dive for most of us if they mess with the Doff grinder.

Simply put, no one wants it, so remove it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    psymantis wrote:

/10char/10char