test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 7 Dev Blog #4

Comments

• ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Producer Steve "SalamiInferno" Ricossa, Jr. reveals details about the STO Gateway project in this entry of the Season 7 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

I'm optimistic about this, and looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I really hope that DOFFing and Exchange buy/sell capabilities are in the future for this project.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I couldn't care less really about this........thing.

It's just bling bling. PW's version of a cheap cupcake with cheap fancy toppings trying to look awesome, yet fails.

It is a cop out and Mobile browsers are junky and useless as well as an extra expense for the internet time. So it's NOT free........just to get it it is, but your paying for extra time to use it.

I'm not shelling out for a iPhone or crappy tablet that has a life span of 3 minutes nor any other yuppy garage device just to look cool on STO. Everyone knows that they have to wait for me to read my email, as I won't join the mindless herd.

Most likely won't use this feature, I have seen no serious use for it. If I have to have it ( oh, yes, I will be forced to have it or the game won't run) I'll just shunt it to a dark corner in my hard drive and close the door on it.

I don't care if I'm told by PW's Mr.Spin Doctor to try it, if I see a deflated ball with a massive puncture, why kick it? It's useless. Like the 1000 Day ship.

If I won't join Failbook just to play a game, what makes them think I'm wasting money on a mobile fail device?

Even if there was a gun to my head and PW telling me to use it, I'd say, go ahead pull the trigger. =3

Perhaps you should put in a request for an audio-only version for your dial-up telephone...?

I'm sure there must be some kind of a market for folks who are still living in the 20th century.

:rolleyes:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    djnooob wrote: »
    that is true, which is why I didn't state they will but said I feared they will. Considering the level of nickle and diming that is present in the game I don't feel that fear is unjustified.

They may "nickle and dime you" but they also give you many ways not to spend a single dime in this game.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    What I miss most about the original STO website was our Captain's Log being public. Tracking our mission progress as well including those logs we wrote from scratch. When that feature was let go, IMO, it put a damper on community growth. I quit bothering to write original logs at that point. Assuming it were possible, I'd love to see our logs shared through the STO Gateway.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the web team making this does not work on the games story.

if so why not get the forum sorted instead ?
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    usscapital wrote: »
    if so why not get the forum sorted instead ?

If I had to guess I'd say the forum belongs to Perfect World. If you check out all the other PW game forums they look exactly the same.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • emilywassonemilywasson Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Just wondering also is it possible to have a ios,also an Andriod app with this new patch? with this this in mind you have the feel that you're running the the ship

Emily
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nacrananacrana Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This looks awesome!
    But please, we need an iOS App for that...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Like it, looks like a good job, wish i could say the same about pvp development
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    For a "starter" system to get the feet wet and get the functionality out, yeah, web-based might be "ok"...

However, for the best functionality (and the most use, obviously), one needs to spend the time/people on making "native" versions...

Which is part of the reason that STO is a windows-only MMO instead of some flash game that runs on any/all computers... :P :D

Please keep this in mind...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Personally I'm glad it's not a true "app" since being able to access it from any computer was my top priority on STO Gateway.

While it may not be as optimal for the fraction of users with iPhone or Android smart phones, this is an international game played by people of all ages. Maximizing the audience as they have is a smart move.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Wow, perfect! This is awesome guys :D

So, i hope for future upgrades like doff managements, mail, personal data logs, and fleet contributions :cool:
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    this all looks very nice

but... i don't see much "functionality" ...yet

how about support for:
    - Mails (we had this before and it was very useful)
    - Exchange
    - Dilithium Exchange
    - live Chat (a live chat XMPP client, should be possible to be implement in a web ui like that?)
    - Foundry, let me tag missions i find on the web and add them to my active mission list so i don't forget to play them later! (maybe even with a link so that for example starbase ugc can direct link the missions they talk about.)
    - DOffs -> no brainer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainjgeecaptainjgee Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Looks good and interesting, but not sure how much use to me. I've maxed out max Doff commendations on my main character, no interest doing it for my others. Only use Doffs for getting Dilithium these days. If you could access the exchange, that might be useful. Only worry is that this system might slow the rest of the game down. Turning in Doff missions these days can be very slow to update, will this make it worse?
  • kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If the web developer is reading, I'm curious to know if they plan to use HTML 5 for this.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    A few things.
    Cryptic tends to develop something and have ideas for its future but lacks resources or desire to implement them. (Diplomacy, tribble breeding, pvp, crafting) and that would be murder on this game.
    Example, when champions came out and they had the iOS app, it was great. Then iOS 5 came out and they removed the app with a forum post saying it was coming back soon (2 years later) with nothing.

I wish cryptic imlemented "responsibility people" fr each aspect of their projects. And when those people change jobs someone else needs to inherite that reponsibility
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • supertrooper17supertrooper17 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is great news...thank you Cryptic for making this game even better...I can't wait until you folks add the DOFF system to this.

Q'apla!
  • speedofheatspeedofheat Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I think this is a great start to a set of features that could add a lot of "casual" play to the game so I look forward to seeing how this grows...

I would also like to see similar UI in game as well though, or we are going to have two inconsistent views of the same data ...
    y3m-yM6W2jBAA7NpYi95PewTOHD9vSNpFGl3huKvuKsGif7jH9lBSYRtnx-AxOUzQw00u0SrjnMeAt0McFsPmCC2FoawxgX3ZON4Ork7H39MCRYsgBUn0QYSADDqYpB6wB5twq-_jNOp7AdrNeItQjiXChE9kwGvBsqc-vTz7oj3YM?width=660&height=198&cropmode=none
  • obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Oh... I'll check it out once to see if its actually good. But its a web app... and they are junky. So I will call this one junky.

EDIT: Also... I dont know how you guys are still making money when you keep giving players the opposite of what we want...

Players: "No more lockboxes!", Cryptic: "Here have more lockboxes!"

Players: "No more grinding!", Cryptic: "MORE GRINDING!"

Players: "Android/iOS app!", Cryptic: "Web app!"

Im seriously considering not spending any more money on a company that keeps doing the opposite of what players want.
    Logical fallacy: The conclusion supporting the premise. In other words, making a foregone conclusion.

Perhaps using standard web programming worked out better than having to program proprietary apps for each different platform? Perhaps they felt that supporting any web-capable device trumped support for only a handful of mobile devices? If you make an app for iOS, you have to make one for Android, and then for Windows phones, and then for webOS, and so on, etc. Making a web-based platform caters to the most devices possible, even legacy feature phones that support web browsing.

Personally, I *never* saw a big outcry for an app, just requests for an online interface that allowed us access to our captain's stats, the DOff system, etc. I think you're basing this purely on your own perspective. In other words, don't post on behalf of the general public if you aren't steadfastly certain you speak for the majority.Your personal, securlar view doesn't necessarily represent the wishes of the majority (case in point: lockboxes).

It's obvious that your personal bias against many things implemented by Cryptic is showing through for this particular subject, by your own admission.
    They called it a Beta. That means its working in some capacity. They could let us use it now and see what its like.
    I suppose you've never heard of a "closed" beta?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    zerobang wrote: »
    this all looks very nice

but... i don't see much "functionality" ...yet

how about support for:
    - Mails (we had this before and it was very useful)
    - Exchange
    - Dilithium Exchange
    - live Chat (a live chat XMPP client, should be possible to be implement in a web ui like that?)
    - Foundry, let me tag missions i find on the web and add them to my active mission list so i don't forget to play them later! (maybe even with a link so that for example starbase ugc can direct link the missions they talk about.)
    - DOffs -> no brainer

Agreed, but I think they're aware that more things will need to come. In it's current form, it's simply a recreation / upgrade of the old Captains' Database. Hopefully, if things work right and the new system doesn't cause too much network overhead, etc., we'll start to see additional features rolled out after this initial launch.

That being said, I remember when CoH announced a similar offline feature during one of their M&Gs, and it actually never happened because it was too detrimental to server overhead and game stability. So I'll be happy if this launches at all :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Logical fallacy: The conclusion supporting the premise. In other words, making a foregone conclusion.

Perhaps using standard web programming worked out better than having to program proprietary apps for each different platform? Perhaps they felt that supporting any web-capable device trumped support for only a handful of mobile devices? If you make an app for iOS, you have to make one for Android, and then for Windows phones, and then for webOS, and so on, etc. Making a web-based platform caters to the most devices possible, even legacy feature phones that support web browsing.

Personally, I *never* saw a big outcry for an app, just requests for an online interface that allowed us access to our captain's stats, the DOff system, etc. I think you're basing this purely on your own perspective. In other words, don't post on behalf of the general public if you aren't steadfastly certain you speak for the majority.Your personal, securlar view doesn't necessarily represent the wishes of the majority (case in point: lockboxes).

It's obvious that your personal bias against many things implemented by Cryptic is showing through for this particular subject, by your own admission.

Using standard web programming doesnt work out better over native programming when it comes to mobile devices. It saves time, and maybe money. Its a cop out to not have to invest extra time and money into native development.

And heres what you would "have" to make apps for: iOS, Android, Windows Phone, (those 3 make up the majority of the smartphone market) and if you feel nice, the desktop. But I havent seen a webOS phone in years and honestly I dont know if there are any devices that run it on the market. And quite frankly, access this site is likely to be bad on "feature" phones that have web access, but not a full web browser.

"Personal" bias? Judging by the amount of topics I've seen against grinding STFs/missions/fleets and against lockboxes, there really isnt anything personal about it. Fact is, I dont care if there are lockboxes in the game... I space them and move on. I do think that grinding STFs/fleets is a poor way to have to get the top end gear, but I can live with that too. I play the game with a group of friends and we have fun and that usually all that matters...

But dont tell me I'm making a foregone conclusions. Topics on the forums cry for less grindy missions, less in the way of lockboxes and Cryptic introduces more of them. (Heck were getting an entire new "Reputation" system, which will likely be a grind system like the fleet system is... and the Romulan Colony adventure zone will probably be just like the other two in the game...)

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=413771

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=270485

That two topics I could find just by casually glancing through the forums. (Unfortunately, searching for 'app' doesnt work because its too short of a term... but there have been several topics that have asked for an app (usually for DOffs in particular.)) There were a few people who wanted a web app to support their BlackBerry or other phone in those topics, but by in large every time I've seen it brought up its asking for an ios/android/wp7 app.
    I suppose you've never heard of a "closed" beta?

Then you say closed beta. As of writing this, theres no reference to it being a "closed" beta. Just a beta. Which means it works and we should be able to use it and test it. (Which is another thing Cryptic is bad at... BTW.)
    7NGGeUP.png

• terilynnsterilynns Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    There were a few people who wanted a web app to support their BlackBerry or other phone in those topics, but by in large every time I've seen it brought up its asking for an ios/android/wp7 app.

So really what you're thinking is that it must be totally cheap to develop three or more apps? Then spend the enormous amount of continued overhead not just to develop them, but to pay for the constant upkeep/coding, etc. on more than 3 separate apps? TBH I'd rather they spend the salaries on people who can actually make Featured Episodes.

Personally, I like the idea that I won't have to BUY and app for my iPad AND my laptop AND my Android phone AND my DS - Now I'll be able to use whatever tool is easiest FOR ME and not have to think about schlepping along the device I chose to buy the app on.

So - it's cheaper, yes. It's cheaper for Crytpic and SHOCK it'll be cheaper for us.

I'm thrilled with the idea - as long as I can access the web, I'll be able to access this gateway. I'm really looking forward to seeing what new stuff will come over the course of the game!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gilineagilinea Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    My only question about this features is: how do I turn it off? I really, deeply hate "features" like this, or the WoW armory. Especially since they're almost always set to public by default. (Assuming that there's even an *option* to turn it off - the WoW Armory doesn't have a "private" setting.) If I don't know you, then you have ZERO business pawing through my characters and gawking at their inventory.
  • calstravencalstraven Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I didn't read the 11 pages of posts and this probably has been posted because there are very smart people who think of these things but I hope that the events calendar and the hourly events are available via the web. i don't know how many times I've wondered if a tour the galaxy or crafting event is coming up only to miss it because I didn't have time to launch and log into the game. This would be a great help and I would definitely access via my phone.

Thanks!
  • amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    terilynns wrote: »
    So really what you're thinking is that it must be totally cheap to develop three or more apps? Then spend the enormous amount of continued overhead not just to develop them, but to pay for the constant upkeep/coding, etc. on more than 3 separate apps? TBH I'd rather they spend the salaries on people who can actually make Featured Episodes.

Personally, I like the idea that I won't have to BUY and app for my iPad AND my laptop AND my Android phone AND my DS - Now I'll be able to use whatever tool is easiest FOR ME and not have to think about schlepping along the device I chose to buy the app on.

So - it's cheaper, yes. It's cheaper for Crytpic and SHOCK it'll be cheaper for us.

I'm thrilled with the idea - as long as I can access the web, I'll be able to access this gateway. I'm really looking forward to seeing what new stuff will come over the course of the game!

I never said it was cheaper to develop native apps. I never even insinuated that it would be cheaper to do such a thing. I understand it would cost more.

But just because the app is native doesn't mean it will automatically cost money. In fact if it did cost money I doubt many people would buy it.

What making a native app gets you is better performance, and an expanded amount of APIs to use in the app. Where as a web app is constrained by the web browser that it runs in. Thats not so much of a problem with desktops (also... why do you need this on the desktop? Log into the game...), but mobile browsers, even though capable of rendering most of the web perfectly fine, are still junky compared to a desktop browser. Most of them either have poor javascript performance, or dont support flash, or other such stupid nonsense.

A web apps is both easier to develop for the lazy dev, and cheaper. And yes its easier for the user from a device stand point... (as you said, you'll be able to access on your DS or whatever other internet-enabled gizmo you are carrying.) But it will be janky to use and will never be as good as a native app. Native apps also have the ability to cache themselves so you can access information that has been pulled from the web to allow access when theres no internet connection, which to my knowledge web apps (on mobile devices) can not do. This would be helpful, for instance, to keep track of DOff mission timers when out of the range of a WiFi connection (or in low coverage cellphone areas).

Native App > Web App. Always.
    7NGGeUP.png

• zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    calstraven wrote: »
    I didn't read the 11 pages of posts and this probably has been posted because there are very smart people who think of these things but I hope that the events calendar and the hourly events are available via the web. i don't know how many times I've wondered if a tour the galaxy or crafting event is coming up only to miss it because I didn't have time to launch and log into the game. This would be a great help and I would definitely access via my phone.

Thanks!

Whoa this is actually a really good idea that everyone else has overlooked
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • don1701cdon1701c Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I saw a complaint that there was any focus on desktop users.

Why have this for the desktop? Lets see. I often watch TV with the wife on the couch. I will grab her laptop and read during downtime/commercials in the show. My gaming PC is downstairs. This would be nice and allow me to check on my character, progress, etc. Even better, if at some point I can check on doffs.

I guess one could argue that I can just go downstairs and login to the game. I could use the same logic though and say that phone users can wait til they get home and login too.

Neither argument works because I am telling others what to do and how to experience their game and they would be doing the same. Seriously, any option is great compared to what we have now.

One of the things I like about LOTRO is the character log options at mylotro. It doesn't offer near the functionality being hinted at with this announcement. Yet, even something as basic as that would be an improvement over what is available now. Currently there is no out of game content/experience. There are the forums here but no way to check on/manage any part of your character.

So, if we are going to get functionality along with the out of game experience, sounds good to me.

Another option I would like to see is a blog option here or with this new system. I get a lot of pleasure reading the blogs and travels of other players in LOTRO.

Finally, I also agree with the suggestions already made that there should be a way to 'opt out' of this. There should be a check box somewhere to allow players to decide how much info they want to share with others.
  • theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It's about damn time. I never fully understood why players and multiple 3rd parties(besides the official CBS one) had LCAR entertainment apps and this game had nothing. This should have been out and a launch product with the iPad 1.
    edited October 2012
    terilynns wrote: »

Ditto! Would have preferred an app, but free is free. And anything that requires less development time is a win.
    edited October 2012
    calstraven wrote: »

Thanks!

Ditto for me also.