Comments

• voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Nice job. Cool feature. Nuff said.

;)
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • kelmorbranonkelmorbranon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This certainly sounds like a good start. To be perfectly honest, the only things I'm looking for from this is:
    1) DOff Management.
    2) Dil Refining.
    3) This becoming an actual phone app.
    Any other features would just gravy to me.
    "If your conscience is bothering you, you should sooth it with the knowledge that you may have just saved the ENTIRE Alpha Quadrant. And all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one criminal, & the self-respect of one Starfleet officer. I don't know about you, but I call that a bargain." - Elim Garak
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is cool beyond words. :eek:

I don't know how you guys kept this under wraps. This is the beginning of something really great.
  • forjoatinxanforjoatinxan Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm very excited about this,

BUT.....

CAN WE PLEASE USE LCARS AND NOT BLUECARS?

That is all.

-Forjo
    My oldest post (that I can find)
    Former Cryptic User #11424
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Stop the easily abused and unfair auto-silence "feature"!
  • obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I don't mind it being a mobile web page (gives possible broader access to devices like feature phones). I am looking forward to future releases, especially DOffing and possibly Starbase and other Fleet Holdings projects; basically, expanding the meta-game outside of the confines of the game client. Being able to work on things offline that will benefit your character(s) online. I look forward to the possibilities :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    And that is a cop out... Mobile browsers are junk at the best of times... and you cant do half the things you would be able to do with a native app.

I was excited... but now Im just sad.

EDIT: And if its a website... why not let us use it now?

Not at all. I'm heavily involved in e-Commerce and the rule of thumb is: don't build an "app" for its own sake - websites are better.

I don't know what phone you've got, but the IE 9 on my WP7 device works fine. I doubt whatever Safari/Chrome equivalents are available on iPhone and Android are that much worse.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    looks good, can't wait to see the release!
  • carl103carl103 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I don't know what phone you've got, but the IE 9 on my WP7 device works fine. I doubt whatever Safari/Chrome equivalents are available on iPhone and Android are that much worse.

never bet against idiocy...

BUT.....

That is all.

THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS, THIS. Or even user configurable skins. Hell if you can make the UI custome colourable we'll love you loads. Promise :p
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    timelord79 wrote: »
    Doff management! Need!

This, that's where I am hoping this leads. I would by a device and stop taking my DS to waiting rooms, I'd take my doffs instead!

Sorry Mario, I love you, but DOFFs!
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    walshicus wrote: »
    Not at all. I'm heavily involved in e-Commerce and the rule of thumb is: don't build an "app" for its own sake - websites are better.

e-Commerce may be that way... but gaming companies hardly ever use web apps for mobile devices, from what Ive seen.

EA could have said: "Just use the Battlelog website on you mobile device." but instead they developed a better app.

343 Industries could have said: "Hey, Halo Waypoint is a website, just use that." but instead the developed an app for Waypoint instead. (And they're a Microsoft company that built an iOS app for crying out loud.)

Bungie could have said the same thing when they ran the Halo series... but they built an app to access all your stats and such.

Native apps work better on mobile devices than websites or web apps do. For one thing a native app isnt constrained by the browsers own features. For example, Safari on iOS uses the Nitro JavaScript engine. Browsers like Chrome for iOS or iCab or any of a number of other browsers arent even allowed to have access to it. And it makes a big difference.(Chrome is in green, Safari in blue. Run with the SunSpider benchmark tool.) They also arent constrained by being contained with in a browser, what has its own memory needs, in addition to having to render a website.

And native applications will likely have a bigger set of APIs to pull from because they arent limited be being a web app.

Web apps are a cop out for companies that dont want to do the work to have to develop natively for Android, and iOS and WP7.

9 times out of 10 a proper native application will work better than a web app.

EDIT: Whats worse is the people said "We want an iOS app." or "We want an Android app." and Cryptic is saying: "Here have a junky web app."
    7NGGeUP.png

• rjcfoxtrotrjcfoxtrot Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Are we going to have to pay for this particualar service, or will it be free? Are there plans to expand this into more practical applications (DOff Management being probably the most requested)?

Having a site available to look at your STO character(s) is cool and all, especially if there's API stuff going on, I'm just not seeing the draw for it right now. Why do I need to check on the status of my captain, BOffs, or starship? If I'm not at my computer, none of those entities are doing anything that needs me to check on their status. Their status will be exactly as I left them last time I played STO.

I hope this gets expanded upon to include some more functional stuff. A full blown Foundry Authoring tool, while highly unlikely, would be awesome to have access to from a tablet. Dilithium Mining mini-game that contributes to your selected character's dilithium total would be an excellent thing to implement as an app. Or that Starbase Construction mini-game that was being discussed not so long ago regarding speeding along the construction of your Fleet Starbase.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2012
    snip

Check it when it's available before you call it "junky", please.
    rjcfoxtrot wrote: »
    Are we going to have to pay for this particualar service, or will it be free? Are there plans to expand this into more practical applications (DOff Management being probably the most requested)?

Having a site available to look at your STO character(s) is cool and all, especially if there's API stuff going on, I'm just not seeing the draw for it right now. Why do I need to check on the status of my captain, BOffs, or starship? If I'm not at my computer, none of those entities are doing anything that needs me to check on their status. Their status will be exactly as I left them last time I played STO.

I hope this gets expanded upon to include some more functional stuff. A full blown Foundry Authoring tool, while highly unlikely, would be awesome to have access to from a tablet. Dilithium Mining mini-game that contributes to your selected character's dilithium total would be an excellent thing to implement as an app. Or that Starbase Construction mini-game that was being discussed not so long ago regarding speeding along the construction of your Fleet Starbase.

It's free and the access is the same for all players, whether Gold or Silver. For the rest of the points you bring up, check out my posts on page 2. :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited October 2012

Oh... I'll check it out once to see if its actually good. But its a web app... and they are junky. So I will call this one junky.

EDIT: Also... I dont know how you guys are still making money when you keep giving players the opposite of what we want...

Players: "No more lockboxes!", Cryptic: "Here have more lockboxes!"

Players: "No more grinding!", Cryptic: "MORE GRINDING!"

Players: "Android/iOS app!", Cryptic: "Web app!"

Im seriously considering not spending any more money on a company that keeps doing the opposite of what players want.
    7NGGeUP.png

• lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    But it's not going to be an "app" per se -- players can access it from their computers through a web browser, or on mobile devices (tablet, smartphones, etc.) through their mobile broswers...
    This new "STO Gateway" sounds neat. Glad you guys are working on it. I hope you'll share this info/tech with your other Cryptic Games (I'd love to have a comic book-styilzed "app" to list my Champions for instance).

BUT.....

/signed +1

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'd like this version if it could access our inventory and we could switch out our character's and BOFFs' equipment.

As it stands, I take it as the first step toward a much more robust "on-the-go" character management browser tool that we can use on computers that don't have STO installed or when we're short on time and don't want to log in just to do small tasks (like setting up DOFF missions).

I think it's a great first step, and I look forward to seeing what all it can eventually do. :)
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    ODN Interface?

STO-DN Interface? :D
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I prefer the blue interface. I like the coloured one too, so a choice would be even better.

If I had to vote, I would always choose blue. ;)
  • psyloafpsyloaf Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This looks awesome!
    Fleet Advanced Research Vessel T6
    Commander Science, Lieutenant Commander Engineering, Lieutenant Commander Universal, Lieutenant Tactical, Ensign Science
  • synthscanner#2101 synthscanner Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Excellent!
  • entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I prefer the blue interface. I like the coloured one too, so a choice would be even better.

If I had to vote, I would always choose blue. ;)

Better also give an option for KDF Red. ;)

So another feature people would like to see: Option of "Classic LCARS", "25th Century LCARS", and "KDF Red Alert" perhaps? :)
  • jared1701jared1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

It's free and the access is the same for all players, whether Gold or Silver. For the rest of the points you bring up, check out my posts on page 2. :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Awesome!!! so glad this is finally coming out! As for the web app vs. native app debate. I'm all for the web app, it takes a lot less developement time to create a web app that works just as good as a regular app, and works across all platforms includeing on your computer. Can't wait to take this for a spin, especially when they add the Doff's!!!
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." Jean-Luc Picard
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    EDIT: And if its a website... why not let us use it now?

Because maybe it isn't ready?
    edited October 2012
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    Because maybe it isn't ready?

They called it a Beta. That means its working in some capacity. They could let us use it now and see what its like.
    7NGGeUP.png

• ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    entnx01 wrote: »
    Better also give an option for KDF Red. ;)

So another feature people would like to see: Option of "Classic LCARS", "25th Century LCARS", and "KDF Red Alert" perhaps? :)

yeah! totally cool! now I can get a headache from the "KDF red" on the road from my phone, and I wont have to wait til I get home

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    But it's not going to be an "app" per se -- players can access it from their computers through a web browser, or on mobile devices (tablet, smartphones, etc.) through their mobile broswers. Some smartphones/ tablets will even let you "save" a website so an icon is placed on your homescreen for quick access.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

While I'm sure everyone would rather have an app for their favorite device, I can see that it will be a lot easier for Cryptic to develop and maintain a web interface that everybody can use.

I'd also point out that having a web interface doesn't necessarily preclude the possibility of an app later on. The API hooks will probably be the same. If anything, if it's possible to gather data about what platforms are accessing it the most, it might make an app more likely down the road.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I think this is awesome.
    I can't wait to try it out. Even at launxh, with giving us only access to our captains info and ship status, this is helpful.

Will love using this at work in my down time... ;)
  • skiffy1skiffy1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    purvee1 wrote: »
    Idea for the name. Insead of "Gateway" why not "Transporter PADD" (or Pad)?

I definitely vote for a different name. STO PADD would be great since PADD stands for Personal Access Display Device, it seems perfect.
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited October 2012
    A) You got A LOT of nerve to show the Vetern Accolades :mad: Don't lie and say it was an oversieght...

B) How much is this going to cost? :confused::(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ----scrubbed because of a warning----

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • tosveteranstosveterans Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is great! Thank you for adding this feature!

I can?t see what you guys will be adding to this. As mentioned it would be nice to add doff missions for those of us that can?t log into the game at work but I am sure that had already been brainstormed.

If we could get into our inventory, bank and shared bank from here we could do a lot of sorting and banking that seems to take up a lot of my in-game time. It would also be nice to be able to look at your other ships and possibly set them up with some of your extra equipment.

Thank you for doing this guys! A lot of us appreciate all that you do!