test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 7 Dev Blog #4

Comments

• allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Any chance of having this for my PS Vita?
  • corsair114corsair114 Member Posts: 276
    edited October 2012
    7/10 Most Interesting reveal for Season 7 by miles.

Keep on workin', with any luck by the time the Season launches we'll have DOff'ing access.
  • muarenmuaren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I think it would be cool if you could look up main characters from STO like Admiral Quinn, J'mpok, Thot Trel and others. Make it like a real computer database.
  • roamingmuttroamingmutt Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Sweet! Can we sign up for beta or by "coming soon" do you mean REALLY soon? :D
  • josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    Oh... OHHHH.... OHHHHHHHH.... does that include a API for fleet webpages? PLEASSSSEEEEE?

This, please!

I can see soooo many uses for this.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I couldn't care less really about this........thing.

It's just bling bling. PW's version of a cheap cupcake with cheap fancy toppings trying to look awesome, yet fails.

It is a cop out and Mobile browsers are junky and useless as well as an extra expense for the internet time. So it's NOT free........just to get it it is, but your paying for extra time to use it.

I'm not shelling out for a iPhone or crappy tablet that has a life span of 3 minutes nor any other yuppy garage device just to look cool on STO. Everyone knows that they have to wait for me to read my email, as I won't join the mindless herd.

Most likely won't use this feature, I have seen no serious use for it. If I have to have it ( oh, yes, I will be forced to have it or the game won't run) I'll just shunt it to a dark corner in my hard drive and close the door on it.

I don't care if I'm told by PW's Mr.Spin Doctor to try it, if I see a deflated ball with a massive puncture, why kick it? It's useless. Like the 1000 Day ship.

If I won't join Failbook just to play a game, what makes them think I'm wasting money on a mobile fail device?

Even if there was a gun to my head and PW telling me to use it, I'd say, go ahead pull the trigger. =3

1000 day ship....let it go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_R-G_i4Xk
    GwaoHAD.png
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If DX11 is any indication of how long this thing will be in beta. The game will be long shutdown before this ever makes it out of beta. DOff management as so many others have stated is what this needs. Without it, it's just a glorified profile for your toons. This implementation also makes me very weary about how secure it will be. Cryptic has had issues protecting players ac****s before. This opens up a whole new way to allow maliciious users to gain access to palyer accounts.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, the initial version is just "testing the water" I guess, see how well it works with a lot of people using it before putting in those features.
  • mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Great work Cryptic, glad to see the old Captains Database returning, bigger and better than before!

It's still early days I know but I can see the potential of this (web)app. Like others I'd deffinately like to see the addition of DOFF access, mail, exchang, bank inventory etc.

Dedicated apps with notifications would be better IMO, but I can understand the teams decision to make it web based and platform ambiguous, I just hope the experience is consistent accross web browsers.

Still holding out hope for an API though, that would allow the community to pull public game data and use it for their own websites/apps.

This and the "Switch chars without logging" option are QoL improvements that will make my STO experience much more enjoyable.
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
  • carl103carl103 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I couldn't care less really about this........thing.

It's just bling bling. PW's version of a cheap cupcake with cheap fancy toppings trying to look awesome, yet fails.

It is a cop out and Mobile browsers are junky and useless as well as an extra expense for the internet time. So it's NOT free........just to get it it is, but your paying for extra time to use it.

I'm not shelling out for a iPhone or crappy tablet that has a life span of 3 minutes nor any other yuppy garage device just to look cool on STO. Everyone knows that they have to wait for me to read my email, as I won't join the mindless herd.

Most likely won't use this feature, I have seen no serious use for it. If I have to have it ( oh, yes, I will be forced to have it or the game won't run) I'll just shunt it to a dark corner in my hard drive and close the door on it.

I don't care if I'm told by PW's Mr.Spin Doctor to try it, if I see a deflated ball with a massive puncture, why kick it? It's useless. Like the 1000 Day ship.

If I won't join Failbook just to play a game, what makes them think I'm wasting money on a mobile fail device?

Even if there was a gun to my head and PW telling me to use it, I'd say, go ahead pull the trigger. =3

If you can't see the use for this once they get the tools to actually do moe than look at the data in then you are simply downright TRIBBLE. Being able to manage Doff's, character equipment, inventories, and banks all without having to log in, (and therefore log in and out and run back and forth all over the dammed place with several toons), is going to be a HUGE timesaver. Just in terms of gamma quadrent commodity missions it's great becuase i cna do them across severla toons, then shove everything in the bank of the one character who actually uses them ATM super fast. currentlly that daily cleanup oporatioon takes me over an hour if i've had missions running on every character i have. With this i could be done in a fifth that as haklf the time is spent running from BE/ZA/e.t.c. to a bank and then shuffling everything in one item at a time via the in game interface. With this i can switch characters effortlessly from the looks of the interface. That and the lack of running about will be a huge help.

Frankly if they intigrate the exchange with it i suspct most players will spend longer on this utility than they will in game becuase i think we all waste way too much time on the managment stuff we have to do.
  • archofwinterarchofwinter Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I like how this is going, but I would like to see more rounded corners for the FED LCARS.
    I know the current version of HTML5, CSS, and JavaScript allows for rounded corners.
    edited October 2012
    Most likely won't use this feature, I have seen no serious use for it. If I have to have it ( oh, yes, I will be forced to have it or the game won't run)

No-one said that at all.
    You don't have to use it if you don't want to.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    No-one said that at all.
    You don't have to use it if you don't want to.

But... Just maybe, it'll be a C-Store purchase to enable it on your account. :eek:
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is awesome. The MMO I used to play had this feature. So I could view my character anytime I wanted or to show it off. Like how they look, their accomplishments, and etc.

I'm very pleased to see this being added to STO.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • djnooobdjnooob Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The features stated so far are pretty much useless. I can't think of a single reason why I would need to go to a web page just to look at what my character has.

As a platform, I can see great potential IF the functionality is GREATLY expanded upon. Fleet management, exchange management, doff management, etc.

My fear however is that this will end up just being another way to try and squeeze more money out of the player base. "Unlock the ability to manage your doffs for 1000 zen!" etc. The money grab that this game is pulling is getting ridiculous.

What's really annoying is the fact that time and resources were wasted on this fluff when there are so many game bugs that need to be addressed. That and the serious lack of content for klingon and end game.
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Kinda of excited about this. It's just the beginning of what's possible. Game chat integration, fleet projects view, mail, exchange, doffs, bank. Maybe even move your current toon around in sector space for doffing and is reflected when you log in to the game next.

One thing I think would be nice is to be able to link to your toon/boff profiles and ship pages so you can show your toon/ships (showing gear, stats etc) off to others.

Suggestion, on ship page show slotted boffs and their powers.

The interface looks nice and ties in with the STO game theme.

The fact that it's web based is a good thing IMO. That way updates to the system happen instantly on all platforms and Cryptic can spend their limited resources developing one thing rather than maintaining a web version anyway (for PC) plus separate Android and iOS apps. It's a smart use of limited resources.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This looks really cool. There are a bajillion features that I would rather see added to the game than this, but at the same time...

Oh, to hell with it. I just love shiny things. And this is SO SHINY <3
    edited October 2012
    djnooob wrote: »

My fear however is that this will end up just being another way to try and squeeze more money out of the player base. "Unlock the ability to manage your doffs for 1000 zen!" etc. The money grab that this game is pulling is getting ridiculous.

They said Free
    GwaoHAD.png
  • hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    We had the "Captains" website option back when the game launched and at some point it was disconnected from the game servers so that the Captain, Ship name, Rank, and Captain's Logs, didn't propagate from the game server to the web server anymore.

How did it take months of programmer time to turn this feature back on and expand it to include ships/boffs/items? It was pretty much halfway done in it's earlier form two years ago when the game launched. Was it the conversion to PWE's style of webpages/backend?

Also, what's the timetable for the meat of this (ie. DOFF Assignment Management) since that's really what everyone wants. I don't know anyone that sits around comparing character loadouts at a coffee shop w/o a laptop that has STO on it...

Then again I don't know many people comparing loadouts period...

It seems more like a marketing tool at this point than a functional and useful feature for the playerbase. I hope it doesn't stay that way for long.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Could we adjust how our boffs' rank and stats appear on the gateway? I had a fright when I saw my boff list a while ago when I accessed the Captains profile when it was still active. It showed that I have a squad of 9 Commanders when technically they are supposed to be of lower ranks.

Maybe have the boffs rank in the STO Gateway to be based on the Tailor option?

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    so how on earth will this add anything to the gameplay or story ? , to me they would rather work on such as this rather than adding anything worthwhile to the game
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hooray!

Players have been asking for the return of the ability to see your characters since it was dropped when the PWE site was migrated. This looks much-much better that we had before. It's fantastic that they have gone to the effort to add some more function also, and more to come :D.

Leave it to the whiners to start to complain about something before its even released yet :rolleyes:
    edited October 2012
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    They said Free

I looked through that blog and I see nowhere they said it was free. They also said nowhere that any future additional features would be free.
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I looked through that blog and I see nowhere they said it was free. They also said nowhere that any future additional features would be free.

From Page 5 ...
    It's free and the access is the same for all players, whether Gold or Silver. For the rest of the points you bring up, check out my posts on page 2. :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited October 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    From Page 5 ...

fair enough.

Even saying that now though, it doesn't mean that they won't add some charge to be able to use additional features/services that they may add down the road.
    edited October 2012
    usscapital wrote: »
    so how on earth will this add anything to the gameplay or story ? , to me they would rather work on such as this rather than adding anything worthwhile to the game

I'm pretty sure the web team making this does not work on the games story.
    edited October 2012
    fair enough.

Even saying that now though, it doesn't mean that they won't add some charge to be able to use additional features/services that they may add down the road.

and it does not mean they will :P
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited October 2012

that is true, which is why I didn't state they will but said I feared they will. Considering the level of nickle and diming that is present in the game I don't feel that fear is unjustified.
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited October 2012

I hear to unlock the doff functionality you need to give them your first born!
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan