What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Let's talk AFK Players

Comments

• Options
    talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A 1 minute inactivity warning followed by a 2 minute kick and replacement would be ideal, the number of AFK leeches is getting ridiculous.
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    o1derfull1 wrote: »
    +3 for the thread -1 for this specific idea.

I use neither WASD or mouseclicks. I steer exclusively with my mouse (and don't click). I never touch WASD, but use keybinds for abilities.

Same here, perhaps a vote system, other members of the team can vote a member off for being afk and the system can double check (after all it does monitor activity) if the player is truly not doing anything they get kicked, if they are moving around the system wont kick them and it's up to other players to block those that refuse to help the group.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Instead of sitting around demanding Cryptic do something about the AFKers, why not take control of YOUR actions to make YOUR game experience better?

Learn to control your game experience by using the in-game tools to your advantage.

You have a friends list for more than just saying hi and chatting about the weather. Try to group with other players from your friends list. If you don't have any friends, make some as this IS a social MMO to some degree.

If you are a member of a fleet, group with other fleeties and by extension their friends.

If you have an acquaintance in another fleet, ask them about grouping for a few runs.

Make note of the players you wind up grouping with that get your attention by their skills or apparent knowledge of the instance.

If not already a member of it, try to get an invite to the EliteSTF channel or the FleetEvent channel. These two channels can get fairly busy at times with calls for runs.

Bottom line is this - start taking responsibility for your own game and your experience in this game, or any others. :D
  • Options
    tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The best part is when they sit doing, but still hit Need on all the loot.

Had 2 players in an ANR doing that this morning. One guy started flying around after I mentioned to the others that we should report them. Reported them both, but then I report afkers every time and the problem doesn't seem to go away.

Have to wonder if Cryptic is actually taking action on these or not.
  • Options
    raklau1971raklau1971 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tomquantum wrote: »
    Just like the thread says. I'm sick of earning free marks for afk players in Vault Ensnared and Azure Nebula while I try to grind out Nukara rep.

Because of the leaver penalty, I have the dubious choice of fighting at a disadvantage to win free marks for leeches, or leaving the group and being penalized with a cooldown.

Why is there a penalty for leaving a group but no penalty for cheating your group by not playing?

I so totally agree with you, I just wish we could call in a GM on leeches wile the match is still going that way they could see the person never moved from the spawn point or parked so far away from the action so they would be caught red handed and kicked.

On the subject of 2min inactivity kick I think that would be awesome. I think it would be icing on the cake though if at 1m of inactivity the leecher would get mobs spawned on him that would aggro only him/her and then have them spawn camp him/her till the kick or until the apparent leecher started participating in the match, and yeah I know I'm just dreaming on that last part but it would be funny :)
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Unless they have changed things with recent updates, it used to be you only needed to wait 15mins. into your mission, and you could leave without suffering the leaver's penalty. I would have to test this as of recently to see if it still works.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    nagrom7nagrom7 Member Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I saw an interesting idea a few months ago on a similar thread about afkers. Cryptic implements a system in which people on your ignore list are unable to be put in the same match as you. 1 Afker in a team, whole team ignores them. Soon they will struggle to get into PVE missions because so many people will be blocking them from entering their match.

*Disclaimer* Not my idea, it isn't without its downfalls and potential abuse but I think it's a better alternative than nothing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harden up Princess
    Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
    www.ausmonauts.com
  • Options
    marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pyryck wrote: »
    Instead of sitting around demanding Cryptic do something about the AFKers, why not take control of YOUR actions to make YOUR game experience better?

Learn to control your game experience by using the in-game tools to your advantage.

You have a friends list for more than just saying hi and chatting about the weather. Try to group with other players from your friends list. If you don't have any friends, make some as this IS a social MMO to some degree.

If you are a member of a fleet, group with other fleeties and by extension their friends.

If you have an acquaintance in another fleet, ask them about grouping for a few runs.

Make note of the players you wind up grouping with that get your attention by their skills or apparent knowledge of the instance.

If not already a member of it, try to get an invite to the EliteSTF channel or the FleetEvent channel. These two channels can get fairly busy at times with calls for runs.

Bottom line is this - start taking responsibility for your own game and your experience in this game, or any others. :D

I don't have any friends or family that plays the game and I won't be adding people I don't actually know to friends list. I know I am not the only person who does not add strangers.

People from the same fleets are not always online to play. Even when their are some online they are not always going to be interested in teaming up to play and even if they are they might have missions I want to play be on cooldown and I don't want to wait. Also not everyone is in a fleet.

Some people don't want to spend time in channels asking people if they would like to team up some people just want to get started quickly. Most people don't want to go through hassle of getting private teams going that is why public queues are used so much.

The game is able to keep track of players doing damage and so on so if someone spends to much time not doing anything to help complete the missions the game should flag them as a leech and they get nothing. That is the best solution possible IMO
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't PUG weekends for that reason. I don't seem to have that problem on weekdays though.
  • Options
    mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nagrom7 wrote: »
    I saw an interesting idea a few months ago on a similar thread about afkers. Cryptic implements a system in which people on your ignore list are unable to be put in the same match as you. 1 Afker in a team, whole team ignores them. Soon they will struggle to get into PVE missions because so many people will be blocking them from entering their match.

*Disclaimer* Not my idea, it isn't without its downfalls and potential abuse but I think it's a better alternative than nothing

One of the first things I do in a PvE team (STF, Colony Invasion, etc) is to check and see if I have ignored them. Right now, my ignore list is exclusively for AFK players. I have even removed people here on the forums that I found rude at one point or another.

Typically, I give the player till the 3/4 (or more) point in the mission (just in case that its a genuine load in and have a need for a massive bio break or something out of their control). Even if they they are AFK through the entire mission, I will report them by just saying something like "This player was AFK during XYZ mission."

If I start a mission and I see that they are already on my ignore list, I wait to see if they move. No movement by a point (usually 3/4 into the mission), I report them with a bit more information like "This player was AFK during XYZ mission. This is NOT the first time I have been teamed with this player and they have been AFK for an entire mission."
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • Options
    kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My suggestions to the devs: Take away the auto-teaming BS that was implemented with Season 4: Misfire so people can get kicked from a team. Or an auto clock that you have to hit the "Accept" button for if you're idle for too long - you don't hit it, you get logged out.
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • Options
    roddy229roddy229 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Could just be that some were hit by in game patching or really bad lag

No kidding! I've seen people go AFK once the mission starts, and when it's over, their toon, or ship suddenly starts moving. I agree that they need to do something about it when people that bust their butts are doing all the work for these lazy sob's!
    Vice Admiral Thylek Shran- U.S.S. Omega (Odyssey Class Battleship) United Federation Space Command
    Vice Admiral T'vix RRW Talon (Scimitar Drednought)
    General S'tal IKS Q'vat (Bortasq' Battle Cruiser)
  • Options
    roddy229roddy229 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kain9prime wrote: »
    My suggestions to the devs: Take away the auto-teaming BS that was implemented with Season 4: Misfire so people can get kicked from a team. Or an auto clock that you have to hit the "Accept" button for if you're idle for too long - you don't hit it, you get logged out.

Not a bad idea!
    Vice Admiral Thylek Shran- U.S.S. Omega (Odyssey Class Battleship) United Federation Space Command
    Vice Admiral T'vix RRW Talon (Scimitar Drednought)
    General S'tal IKS Q'vat (Bortasq' Battle Cruiser)
  • Options
    kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ^ Thanks!

There are some "zombie fleets" out there who I've tried to report, but I still see them sitting at places earning points. Game needs an auto boot feature to toss them out.
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • Options
    doogie74doogie74 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Neverwinter has had a problem with people going AFK in pvp matches. They have instituted changes so if you do not play in the match you do not receive any rewards.

They should be able to implement a similar system in STO.
  • Options
    artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    doogie74 wrote: »
    Neverwinter has had a problem with people going AFK in pvp matches. They have instituted changes so if you do not play in the match you do not receive any rewards.

They should be able to implement a similar system in STO.

that would be interesting to see.
  • Options
    mikec1013mikec1013 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You have to keep one thing in mind: how will it make PWE money. That's all they really care about. That's the motivation behind the lock boxes, and all of the dilithium sinks. To make money. I know a few people that buy Zen exclusively to sell it on the dilithium exchange rather than spend however much time it takes to accrue 8000. PWE loves people like that. Would you be willing to pay $1.00 to kick the AFK-ers?
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There is no leaver penalty outside of STFs and No win scenario. I have had times when there was one or 2 AFKers in the group so the rest of the team all decided to leave and restart. The AFkers would come back to find they failed the mission with no marks and have a cooldown timer while the other 3 of us got to restart with a full group. Just bring it up in team chat and ask them all to leave so they won't support the AFKer.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=907501

I thought the changes have already been implemented but this is coming out in a patch soon.
    PvP
    ?Finished PvP maps no longer stand a chance of sometimes stranding players without a Leave button.
    ?Players may no longer be kicked from PvP maps unless they are disconnected.
    ?Players must now participate in a PvP match to qualify for its rewards.
    ?Players no longer get points for Assists if they do not deal damage to the target player. ?We are aware that this puts healers at a point disadvantage; we are looking into solutions for a future update.

?PvP matches that go by much more quickly than expected now give fewer rewards.
    ?The "Match Start" countdown now properly waits until the match is about to begin to start counting down.
    ?The minimap zoom boundaries in both PvP maps have been improved; players should be able to zoom out more.
    ?The rewards for losing a PvP match have been lowered.
    ?While waiting for more players to join a PvP match, the UI now displays that it's waiting for players.
  • Options
    glassguitarglassguitar Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nagrom7 wrote: »

^^^^
    THIS!! Please, oh please, Cryptic ... SO many reasons to have this feature implemented.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Players that remain motionless and/or do no damage for 10 minutes during a fleet event becomes targetable regardless of faction. Whoever destroys as ship under this penalty receives 500 marks of their choice.

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    doogie74 wrote: »
    http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=907501

I thought the changes have already been implemented but this is coming out in a patch soon.

How will this translate into PvE?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Players that remain motionless and/or do no damage for 10 minutes during a fleet event becomes targetable regardless of faction. Whoever destroys as ship under this penalty receives 500 marks of their choice.

:D:D:D:D

I tried to get a pug to lure Donatra to an AFK-er hoping she would blow him up.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    mikec1013 wrote: »
    How will this translate into PvE?

I was showing that as they apparently have a mechanic for being able to monitor if one is participation in an activity possibly they should be able to apply the same mechanic towards a pve events since this was done to address players going afk in pvp matches just to receive the rewards for being in the match even though they did not participate in the fighting.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    there is a problem with applying it though, just 1.
    some of the players that go afk, aren't really afk, they just sit there afk.
    so if they need to move they will and go afk again.
    when it comes to pve queues.
  • Options
    skywolf73skywolf73 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    simple group vote system would cure it, many other games have it you can vote to kick a player in your group and everyone has to vote them out, they cannot vote if they are being voted on.

do it asap.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    skywolf73 wrote: »
    simple group vote system would cure it, many other games have it you can vote to kick a player in your group and everyone has to vote them out, they cannot vote if they are being voted on.

do it asap.

this has been debating and argued alot before.
    and it was argued the vote kick system will get abused.

probably need to add some sorta personal objective missions
    like upon entering a match you receive a mission automatically
    no assist feature as if your a 1 man team. have to be in range
    of every objective to help team and complete all objectives
    you get your reward once completing all objectives.

but thats just me, i just think they need to fix it in a way to force
    players to do team work.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited June 2013
    artanisen wrote: »
    i thought i never suggest thing.

but i think they should bring back teams only.
    to where you need to join up with a team to do stf.

until they can come up with a solution.

but i think borg elite stf should be teams only
    and pvp queue should be teams only.

That's a damn fine idea.

+MANY

In the course of an afternoon of playing, I encountered 7 AFK players in the pugs. They were active, and took every opportunity to grab drops and endgame booty.

I've given up on puggin it out - groups only from this point moving forward.
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Eliminating the queues is a terrible idea. I'd rather deal with AFKers than spam zone chat and beg for groups.
  • Options
    martin1970giesenmartin1970giesen Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    skywolf73 wrote: »

do it asap.

I was playing a game like that Crossfire, every time i was murdering noobs, i got kicked becouse i was so much better then them, this system will be abused.
    Keybind: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9355971&postcount=463
    Bone1970 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone Trader don't belief in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
    Bone2 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. KDF Eng.
    Warning: Not a native English-speaker, sorry if my English sucks.
This discussion has been closed.