What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 6 Dev Blog #19

Comments

• Options
    usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    why are later ships poorly textured ? , if you look at the T5 akira struts the texture placement is poor
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, biggest gripe is that castrated deflector dish. If I cant put the Sovy deflector there, I will never buy this ship.

I would like an explanation on the lazy texturing as well. Lazy textures dont make the ship look like it was loved by its designer, but just another ship to ship out to the masses on the lowest time budget possible.

What would have really sold is to give us TWO skins. Jamz lazy skin, and then the Nemesis refit I asked for in the Priority One Al Rivera interview, and many others too, straight from Eaves. I know Al said it was too subtle to make money off of. But I guarantee you the difference in profit you would make of that ship wouldnt have been subtle as anyone not liking the Jamz version could be happy with the subtle John Eaves version of the retrofit and it would have sold many many more ships. Now they have reduced its sales potential because it seems at least 50% dislike its looks and feel it strayed too far away from a Sovereign. And making the Eaves version would have been super easy to throw in with the jamz skin. But, since jamz is lazy on the textures, he likely would have screwed up the Eaves refit too.

And I recall Jamz dissing Logan saying he was better at the little details than Logan ever was. Really? Could have fooled me. I see less love in that texturing, not more.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    suaveks wrote: »
    I still wonder how Cryptic's gonna pull this off...

I mean, we already have the Odyssey in three variants that's basically a top tier Federation Cruiser, with universal boff slots and 10 console slots, sold for as much as 2500 Zen each or 5000 in a bundle.

Now, if this new Regent class is going to be sold for the same price (like the Armitage or Atrox are), and it will still have only 9 console slots, because of the unlockable Fleet version later on... then why would anyone want this one and not the Odyssey, aside from the looks?

Hell, why would anyone purchase any new 2500 Zen C-Store ship now if he or she will have to get an upgraded Fleet variant (for additional 500 Zen) later on anyway? Because of some unique console, perhaps? Even so, you'll still have to wait a LONG time before any fleet builds Tier 5 shipyard (where the Fleet Regent will probably be). So why wait when you can get the superior Oddy almost immediately?

I honestly believe these Fleet ships are currently a mess, especially in contrast with C-Store ships. I just feel ripped off, and the Atrox Carrier is the best example of this. I paid full 2000 CP (now 2500 Zen) for this ship only to realise some time later that there will be no Fleet Atrox "because it looks bad with the fleet skin". And then the Tholian Recluse appeared, which made it even worse, as its parameters and capabilities are way better than 2500 Zen C-Store ship that doesn't even have any unique console, aside from the fighters that cannot be used on any other carrier... So yeah, 2500 Zen wasted for something I won't even use anymore. And I believe the same can be said for the Dreadnought or the Guramba, both w-o a Fleet variant, yet still priced at 2500 Zen. At least with MVAE you get the console, while the D'Kyr or the Excelsior etc. are a bit cheaper.

So, dear Cryptic, either adjust the prices of all the C-Store ships, or make ALL of them available in Fleet versions. Yeah, I know - ugly fleet skin this, integrated ability that - sure, whatever, but the way it is now you're just ripping people off and making their purchases not worth anything, with the introduction of new, way better endgame fleet ships, for even more money. And honestly, this is not a good way to keep the community p(l)aying.

Assuming that this is going to be anything like the fleet version, this ship is probably going to be like a tactical Odyssey in permanent saucer sep mode with the Lt. Cmdr universal set to Tac, the ensign universal set to Engineering, and the science Lt. changed to universal. Since it is not the fleet version it loses one of the extra console slots and has less armor (HP) than the fleet version, but has more than the Odyssey does in saucer sep mode. As such you get a tac-heavy, slower, tougher Odyssey stardrive.

This is something I would actually like to see, as I often enough view the saucer as a burden for my Odyssey. If there were an option to leave it at starbase I'd probably do just that, or I'd immediately dump it every time I got into a fight if it weren't for the cooldown.

EDIT: Actually if you think of it as a permanently saucer-less Odyssey, then you could consider it to have a tenth console, with the sep console occupying that console slot. (Yeah, it's very round-about, but it makes sense to me at Stupid O'Clock at night :) )
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is the ship I've been looking forward to all year, and JamJamz has done a great job of adapting John Eaves' original design to the evolving 2409 aesthetic. That said, however, I'll probably stick with the classic skin. I'm old-fashioned that way.
  • Options
    raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, biggest gripe is that castrated deflector dish. If I cant put the Sovy deflector there, I will never buy this ship.

I would like an explanation on the lazy texturing as well. Lazy textures dont make the ship look like it was loved by its designer, but just another ship to ship out to the masses on the lowest time budget possible.

What would have really sold is to give us TWO skins. Jamz lazy skin, and then the Nemesis refit I asked for in the Priority One Al Rivera interview, and many others too, straight from Eaves. I know Al said it was too subtle to make money off of. But I guarantee you the difference in profit you would make of that ship wouldnt have been subtle as anyone not liking the Jamz version could be happy with the subtle John Eaves version of the retrofit and it would have sold many many more ships. Now they have reduced its sales potential because it seems at least 50% dislike its looks and feel it strayed too far away from a Sovereign. And making the Eaves version would have been super easy to throw in with the jamz skin. But, since jamz is lazy on the textures, he likely would have screwed up the Eaves refit too.

And I recall Jamz dissing Logan saying he was better at the little details than Logan ever was. Really? Could have fooled me. I see less love in that texturing, not more.

agree 100% they should introduce the nemesis design as a costume for the new sovy. Honestly they should of done this from the beginning considering the timeline of sto is wht 30+ years after nemesis. Bring on the stats, where are the stats!?
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Not another Fed ship! :/

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't understand people's raving fascination with the Sovereign, honestly. It was just a generic grimdark ship that appeared in a bad grimdark movie.

I'm probably just a little cheesed that this silly thing will put the ol' Excel out of business... I'll still fly her anyway. To the end!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't understand people's raving fascination with the Sovereign, honestly. It was just a generic grimdark ship that appeared in a bad grimdark movie.

I'm probably just a little cheesed that this silly thing will put the ol' Excel out of business... I'll still fly her anyway. To the end!

Since Cryptic is sort of running out of popular ships to sell, youd think anyways, I wonder if a 2409 Excelsior is on the schedule? Make her as big as a Sovy, and I wouldnt mind seeing drastically updated lines the way the Regent got, as long as the second you looked at her you could tell she was obviously an Excelsior descendant. I dont fly the Excelsior refit because its still too small and I feel its too outdated, barely in service during Picards time. But a bigger sleeker Excelsior, I would create a 5th alt for that. Theres a really sweet Excelsior updated design on the net, something like that I could get behind.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs50/f/2009/296/e/1/JJ_era_USS_Excelsior_concept_2_by_trekmodeler.jpg
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Since Cryptic is sort of running out of popular ships to sell, youd think anyways, I wonder if a 2409 Excelsior is on the schedule? Make her as big as a Sovy, and I wouldnt mind seeing drastically updated lines the way the Regent got, as long as the second you looked at her you could tell she was obviously an Excelsior descendant. I dont fly the Excelsior refit because its still too small and I feel its too outdated, barely in service during Picards time. But a bigger sleeker Excelsior, I would create a 5th alt for that. Theres a really sweet Excelsior updated design on the net, something like that I could get behind.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs50/f/2009/296/e/1/JJ_era_USS_Excelsior_concept_2_by_trekmodeler.jpg

Not bad, I quite like the hull but I'm iffy on those nacelles. I'm just a big fan of how clean the Excel is and how many pure straight lines it's made out of, it's very art deco. To be fair though that concept would fit in exceptionally well given STO's time period. Kinda reminds me of the Vesta.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Don't forget, if you prefer forward swept pylons/stanchions, you can always put the Sovereign's rear swept ones on instead! Also, the other way around ;)

I wish we could do this while keeping the type 6 material. :) hopefully in the future we will be able to use what ever material we get from the buying of c-store ships. On what ever style of ship we want :D

Also I don't like these screenshots they aren't at good angles, I have hard time telling how the ship will look. especially from above or below. They are also too dark...
  • Options
    captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    is it me or does it resemble to Odyssey to much? It just doesn't have the double neck.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It's hard to judge what a "3-D" ship will look like when modelled/rendered in-game and we can zoom in/out and view it from various sides/angles, versus the two tiny pictures in the blog. It would be easier if Cryptic would make those little pix clickys that popped-up into hi-res pix.

That said, it looks like the Regent could be pretty neat. I don't care for the forward-swept nacelle arms, but if we can kit-bash in other rear-swept ones, then it's ok, and I like the look of the rest of it.

I'm not going to play grab-bag lotto games to get this. I would love a new mission (or series of missions) with this being a straight-up reward (ie isn't some kind of random drop/grind for a new currency). That would get me back in game and playing.

If it's some kind of Fleet Ship, I'll never see it, as I'm not participating in the Grind-So-You-Can-Pay Fleet Rewards.

If the ship ends up as a reasonably priced C-Store purchase, I might purchase it if/when I get story missions to play.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    croesusxcroesusx Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm sorry but I totally hate it! Like... with a passion.

The Sovereign is a very smooth/elegant design... it looks aerodynamic and fierce... this on the other hand looks like it was made from lego.

Why couldn't you just use the sketches from Doug Drexler's website of the Post-Nemesis Sovereign refit. Even better... couldn't you just FIX the sovereign that we already have.
  • Options
    baileyjohnbaileyjohn Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I hope the new ship has the heavy cannons option like galaxy class drednaught and the defiant class etc ?
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited August 2012
    I might be in the minority, but I really enjoy seeing the 2409 versions of the various ships, and I think this is what should have been the focus in the first place.

I think the dev team should have made the decision to go with a completely new line of ships and say, "We are keeping the integrity of our setting." That way there wouldn't be any 40-year-old or older ships meeting and beating brand new ones.

Yeah, you'd get people disappointed they couldn't fly something that was exactly their favorite ship from the shows, but then we wouldn't be in this hodge-podge of eras we are now. I think most of the fans would have given you their blessing to do this had it been done from the beginning. As it stands now, obviously you can't go back and get rid of all the ships that would likely no longer be in service.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    It's hard to judge what a "3-D" ship will look like when modelled/rendered in-game and we can zoom in/out and view it from various sides/angles, versus the two tiny pictures in the blog. It would be easier if Cryptic would make those little pix clickys that popped-up into hi-res pix.

That said, it looks like the Regent could be pretty neat. I don't care for the forward-swept nacelle arms, but if we can kit-bash in other rear-swept ones, then it's ok, and I like the look of the rest of it.

I'm not going to play grab-bag lotto games to get this. I would love a new mission (or series of missions) with this being a straight-up reward (ie isn't some kind of random drop/grind for a new currency). That would get me back in game and playing.

If it's some kind of Fleet Ship, I'll never see it, as I'm not participating in the Grind-So-You-Can-Pay Fleet Rewards.

If the ship ends up as a reasonably priced C-Store purchase, I might purchase it if/when I get story missions to play.

If they start hyper-promoting fleet ships instead of C-Store ships, I think they will be unpleasantly surprised.

The people who are most vocal in the game, and the most opinionated, are also the ones that would pay attention to this sort of advertisement. They are also the ones that have 6+ alts and would balk at the prospect of paying $120 to get one of these for each of them. This would probably pretty quickly deflate sales, especially since we're not going to see the first tier-5 bases until around Christmas at best, I think, if the 7-month hardcoded limit is in place. Truth be told, I've only seen one single fleet ship actually in action on Holodeck. While I might just be missing them, they don't seem to be exactly flying off the shelves, certainly not the way that recent C-Store ships have.

JamJamz, if you're reading this, could you at least tell us if this is a C-Store ship or not? I'm betting it is, and while I realize this may not be in your power to reveal, it would probably secure a lot more sales if this kind of speculation got axed.
  • Options
    blitzpigblitzpig Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well seeing as I recently purchased an Odyssey Tac ship, I am hoping that the Sov re-fit can offer me similar or slightly better tac/weapons ability with better maneuverability.

If not, it's not going to end up in my personal hangar.

Hopefully it will blend the good performance of the Advanced Heavy Cruiser (Excelsior) Retrofit with the tactical capability of the Odyssey tac.
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    red01999 wrote: »
    Truth be told, I've only seen one single fleet ship actually in action on Holodeck. While I might just be missing them, they don't seem to be exactly flying off the shelves, certainly not the way that recent C-Store ships have.

With the exception of obvious ones (like the Fleet Heavy Cruiser retrofit) more or less you probably aren't noticing them as much compared to normal ships.

Like I have a Fleet Star Cruiser for example, although without really paying attention or asking, you wouldn't know it was one. Most people would just think of it as a normal Star Cruiser.

Anywho, I had a thought about the rumored torpedo console. What if, instead of being a 'pew pew and cooldown' console, it was more a passive thing, and instead it altered your torpedoes launchers to have a 180 degree firing arc (at least quantums, maybe photons)? Just a random thought I had.

I'm like a partial-Vorta, I have no real art sense at all, so I'm on the fence about the looks. For me, it's gonna be about the price, the BOFF lay-out, and other stats. I've lost some faith recently about the store items, with the Fleet ships being only one character, the EV suits being only one character, it does honestly worry one to believing there is a pattern going on.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    dentalpatientdentalpatient Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The Regent class is one of the most ugly things I've seen. It looks like the junior version of the Ody, and like usual you clutter it too much with stuff.

Please leave the Sovereign alone, and put in the Ambassador (Ent-C), thanks.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    mimey2 wrote: »
    With the exception of obvious ones (like the Fleet Heavy Cruiser retrofit) more or less you probably aren't noticing them as much compared to normal ships.

Like I have a Fleet Star Cruiser for example, although without really paying attention or asking, you wouldn't know it was one. Most people would just think of it as a normal Star Cruiser.

Actually I VERY frequently click and look up the info on random ships and even random players running around the social areas, in sector space, in the space around bases, etc. In fact I'm often disappointed when someone leaves when I'm halfway through reading their profile. I'm very curious as to my fellow players, and almost always look up the ship type. I may just be missing them, but I simply haven't been seeing many fleet ships at all - actually, only one more since I last posted, another Fleet Heavy Cruiser Retrofit.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Wow, Im not a big fan of the st09 enterprise but wow. :D:eek::D
  • Options
    admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,560 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Sorry the Pylons rake forward are TRIBBLE and the the top view just makes the ship look ugly. My refit (If I get one) will be standard sov for the most part. Note I will only get the refit if it has Saucer sepration. The SOVEREIGN CAN DO IT BUT NO ONE HAS DONE IT ON SCREEN
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Gonna have to agree with diogene0. We have cruisers, upon cruisers, upon cruisers, and the thing is, cruisers are a very "aquired taste" for playstyle, due to the beamboat / battleship / USS Missouri type of combat and the ultra-hindered manueverability.

I'd be much more inclined to play on a regular basis if we had some more options. Awhile back, I made a suggestion for a "middle-weight combat cruiser" which would be approximately the size of an Intrepid, with a cruiser type styling (saucer, neck, primary hull, pylons & nacelles) and a tactical loadout. Basically a stepping stone between full blown escort, and whale cruiser. Not to mention it would give tactical players a different look which doesn't exist in the Escort line, since either you have to fly a fighter jet wannabe, or a 4 nacelle frankenstein.

Essentially a more survivable Tactical Alternative. More survivability than an Escort, and more powerful than a Cruiser. Less Survivable than a cruiser, less firepower than an escort. A true hybrid.

Why can't we get some hybrid type ships? Why do the ships have to be distinctly Escort, or distinctly Whale Cruiser, or distinctly Science? You guys placed STO in the 25th Century so you could have some freedom of creativity. So why aren't you exercizing that freedom?

Border Patrol Mid-Size cruiser FTW!

Oh, and Sci needs some major love too. Those guys really don't have much in the way of options.

We've got more than enough cruisers.

Dude that's what the Assalt Cruiser sov is, a tactical oriented Cruiser and yes too many escorts are defiant wannabes get a Freedom class or New Orleans Class in there
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    timelord79 wrote: »
    now, I Suppose We Won't See It Come With The Nemesis Skin, Right? That Would Be Too Much To Ask, Since It Is "way To Close To The Original" To Make People Pay For It. But An Even More Important Question? Will It Come With A Movie Grade And True To Scale Sovereign Bridge?!?!? ;)

Agreed! The Sov Bridge Sucks In This Game
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    digimatl wrote: »
    i was never a huge fan of the sovy. despite the fact that they wanted it to look more elegant then the galaxy, to me it did not really with all those hard edges on the saucer and nacelles etc.
    also i always thought it was too militaristic looking. but the refit..yay very nice sleek 2409 design. props to JamJamz i like it. nice work :)

my only "but" is, that it looks a lot like a vesta with forward swept pylons. but i am curious how the vesta will turn out ingame :)
    digi the reason the Sov is Miltary looking is because she is military oriented. in the decade since the Galaxy was lauched all but the Galaxy have been lost of the original group. While i love my Gal X Sov was design to be used in times of war while the Standrad Gal in times of peace. they are reverse sides of the same coin
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    I might be in the minority, but I really enjoy seeing the 2409 versions of the various ships, and I think this is what should have been the focus in the first place.

I think the dev team should have made the decision to go with a completely new line of ships and say, "We are keeping the integrity of our setting." That way there wouldn't be any 40-year-old or older ships meeting and beating brand new ones.

Yeah, you'd get people disappointed they couldn't fly something that was exactly their favorite ship from the shows, but then we wouldn't be in this hodge-podge of eras we are now. I think most of the fans would have given you their blessing to do this had it been done from the beginning. As it stands now, obviously you can't go back and get rid of all the ships that would likely no longer be in service.

dude the Galaxy was designed to have a hull life of a century so 30 years isn't that big of a deal and look how long the D7/Ktinga has lasted
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    red01999 wrote: »
    Actually I VERY frequently click and look up the info on random ships and even random players running around the social areas, in sector space, in the space around bases, etc. In fact I'm often disappointed when someone leaves when I'm halfway through reading their profile. I'm very curious as to my fellow players, and almost always look up the ship type. I may just be missing them, but I simply haven't been seeing many fleet ships at all - actually, only one more since I last posted, another Fleet Heavy Cruiser Retrofit.

Fair enough of course. I generally sometimes do that as well.

Still, most people are generally going from A to B doing whatever is is they are doing, and usually don't check that out.

Again, without your looking, if you just passed by me in sector space, you would probably think of it as a normal Star Cruiser.

I will say though, that really, most fleets are only hitting tier 2 shipyards over the past week or two (at least mine did). So we won't truly start seeing en-masse fleet ships until tier 3 shipyards appear in a lot of places.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    zalzanyzalzany Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Meh only fed ship I have seen in awhile that got my attention was the new Armitage, and the science carrier. This one just reminds me that I would rather see a new Klingon ship, not when will I get paid this week.

I am kind of losing my love for fed minus the two mentioned ships, I got my kdf science officer up to 40 to try out a carrier class before I shelled out for one fed side. Got to say I fell in love with the Klingon's ugly monsters. Looking more forward to leveling up a Engy with mirror events and grinding a slow moving starbase so I can get a flight deck cruiser, then I was when I wanted to get a new fed ship last week.

Its not that Fed is bad, its just that seems like they always get something new, and there is so many players you get mixed results about the new stuff. I have had a lot say they love there science fed carrier, but seen a lot of hate towards it as well. Meanwhile the Vo'quv has a tier 5 shipyard refit already, and seems like every day I drive my level 40 version at 50 I see more and more lvl 40 versions putt putting around space farming mats for their starbase as well.

A lot more love for KDF ships seems to exist, its just a quite love, of course I'm sure the hate is kept quite as well. Personally I don't care if KDF gets reskined Fed ships, obviously if it works why fix it, but damn do they need something. Bad enough the only way I can stomach leveling one was using Mirror events, thank god I had no work for a few days last week to grind my first KDF toon to 50.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    ya the armitage look amazing. Hopefully JamJamz is still making the new sov and improving it, the regent looks nice might change some things still going to with hold full judgement till it boff layout and stats are also out.
  • Options
    bern9bern9 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    :-) People, remember hulls are more for being internally functional than externally(-: We have shields for that) so even if it looks more warlike or more science oriented it is what's 'Inside' that really matters
    Simcore
    Alien lieutenant general, house of duras
    Human vice admiral, icarus fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]=/\= '...to boldly go, where no game has gone before...' =/\=
This discussion has been closed.